What's new

Please screw me over

Disinfected

Patron Meritorious
I'm fairly certain that all of us ex-scn members have this in common: to one degree or another, we pretty much demanded that we be screwed over. Back in 1978, while on the NED Course, the ED of the Mission of the Palm Beaches "regged" me for staff. After course one night he said to me "I love being on staff...there is nothing I'd rather be doing right now than talking with a groovy guy like you". I swear, he actually called me a "groovy" guy. No shit. Seriously. Next thing I know, I signed a 5 yr contract. In retrospect, I must have had "I'm gullible, please screw me over" tatooed to my forehead. No matter how pissy I feel about how much I was ripped off by scn, I take full responsibility for getting into it with my eyes wide opened. Groovy indeed.

I'm similarly guilty in the scn scam as L. Ron Hubbub and David Miscarriage are in that I have "fsm'd" and "regged" and had my scientological nose up in the air with critical thoughts of how "unaware" wogs are compared to me because I could see the truth, etc. I know with certainty that I'm not the only person who had those "look down our noses" attitude at the rest of the wog world. It is a wide spread undertone in scn. And sometimes it is even expressed openly. I was simply poking fun at myself for being such a dope. "Groovy guy". How could I be so lame?

While "taking responsibility for your own contribution to the motion" may be a useful tool in helping you personally move on, in no way do I support your "blame the victim" viewpoint.

I think I can safely say that most of us did not join the Church, staff, Sea Org, or whatever to look down on "wogs". We did not join to feel superior to others. Quite the opposite, if anything. If that is a kick you got out of it then no problem, good that you are owning that.

We joined for our own reasons but, I daresay, many of those had to do with the aims of Scientology. If the management of Scientology has betrayed those aims and betrayed the lot of us in the process, that might make us suckers but it does not necessarily make us knowing participants in the betrayal.

That is all I have to say other than . . .

Welcome to the board. Glad to have you here. Really.

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
Actually Hubbard turned some 'logic' on it's head with 'responsibility', 'being at cause' and 'victim'... Whole lotta lecturing on that..

We ended up with the strange idea that being defrauded was our own responsibility!

:omg:

Good twin

Floater
Actually Hubbard turned some 'logic' on it's head with 'responsibility', 'being cause' and 'victim'... Whole lotta lecturing on that..

We ended up with the strange idea that being defrauded was our own responsibility!

:omg:

Here's the hitch. We were for the most part defrauded by people who were defrauded and we defrauded others because of it. It's a beautiful mind fuck, but the point is those of us who walked in the door and got that initial "buzz" were truly looking for that buzz. We weren't inclined to investigate or question the truth about Scientology. We were by our very nature and flower child culture more likely to believe the conspiracy theories and anti government anti psych anti big business anti media explaination of any data contrary to what we bought.

I think what XStaff is saying is simply "we were ripe for the pickin'". That was then. Over the next couple of decades things got far worse.

ULRC/S

Patron with Honors
Yes Div6, I see your point and you are correct to a degree. However, true victims are very rare. Yes, on occasion you'll be sitting in a sky scraper truly minding your own business and an asshole will fly a stolen air plane into it, but in my observation of life, that form of true victimhood is the exception, not the rule. Typically, people get what they create and/or ask for.

Or they get what they don't positively create. I always ridged against the typical Scn statement of "you pulled it in". Jeez, even LRH never said that.

And I also strongly ridged against the new age pundits saying "you created everything that happed to you". Also BS, IMO.

I consider the key reason people can become the effect of a 9/11, or be a victum on a 747 that gets blown up by terrorists, is that they have walked into such situations like sheep to the slaughter - without a positive postulate as simple as "this will be a good day". Or without, or ignoring, the sixth sense thats says "better not get on this plane".

Before I do anything even slightly dangerous, I always say to myself" This is OK" and the only times I have ever had an accident are the times Ihaven't done this.

Regards, Allen

Good twin

Floater
P.S. XStaff I blame YOU. I would have left in 1980 and never looked back. YOU are responsible for the time I spent in the cult after that. It's because of you that I had no life outside the cult. I haven't even told that part of my story yet because it is so painful.

:coolwink:

He-man

Hero extraordinary
Like so many others I was born into the mindfuck with my pants pulled down and already on my knees. I never asked for it.

i'mglib

Patron with Honors
xstaffWPB, I have a question for you.

Someone compared scn to a beautiful cake, with arsenic in it. So I will use this analogy.

So, someone gives you this beautiful cake, and you eat it and get poisoned...is it your fault?

Say, you even hear rumblings that there is poison in the cake, so you ask the server of the cake if there is poison in it, and they say, "Absolutely not!" Basically, they lie. And then they produce (false) documents showing that the person who brought up the idea that there's poison in the cake is a criminal. THAT person is lying. Not only that, the health department investigating the reports are all unfairly targeting this type of cake, and the reporters who got wind of it and tried to make a story out of it, well, they are bigoted against cakes, and just don't want people to have it.

So, the cake makers lie and lie and lie. The shut up the whistleblowers. They produce false reports and even blackmail and extort.

Is the person who eats the cake still responsible?

R6Basic

Patron Meritorious
While

We joined for our own reasons but, I daresay, many of those had to do with the aims of Scientology. I

When I wrote my two week notice to my "wog job" to go join staff I actually quoted the "Aims of Scn." as part of the reason I was leaving. I forgot bout that until just now.

I was quite taken with all the high ideals Scn. put forth.

Telepathetic

Gold Meritorious Patron
Welcome to the Board xstaffWPB!

It is always a pleasure to see another apostate join the ranks.:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

"Mass movements are usually accused of doping their followers with hope of the future while cheating them of the enjoyment of the future while cheating them of the enjoyment of the present . Yet to the frustrated the present is irremediably spoiled. Comforts and pleasures cannot make it whole. No real content or comfort can ever arise in their minds but from hope." Eric Hoffer, The True Believer.

I am not, in posting this quote, trying to say that this was true of others, just simple that it was an accurate statement regarding my own particular case.

On the other hand I would not wish my experience on others...know what I mean?

Again welcome and enjoy the show.:yes:

TP

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
Please see my thread

"Groovy" post.

Tell me, the children born to sea org members that then suffered abuse and neglect , were they "fully responsible" for chosing their parents?

Are the people that were abused by pedophiile priests in the Catholic Church "responsible" for being "screwed over".

I find this line of "reasoning" specious at best. Making victims into perps is usually only done by those with heavy overts, attempting to place the blame elsewhere than self.

It's ok for you to "be forgiving". But you can't make up for someone elses sins. And justice will be done eventually.

Here is to a "good ending" for you.

Please check out my thread on a MUST READ book ! Part 3 has a chapter on being born into a cult.

And I think xstaff is just taking responsibility. But really, you were all tricked and lied to - for years and years and years.

I'm fairly certain that all of us ex-scn members have this in common: to one degree or another, we pretty much demanded that we be screwed over.

'Fraid not. :no:

It is the majoritarian perspective, but a few of us went in, had a good time, were happy with services received, learned a bunch of useful things, and left when things looked like they weren't going to continue "up trending". :)

Mark A. Baker

Veda

Sponsor
'Fraid not. :no:

It is the majoritarian perspective, but a few of us went in, had a good time, were happy with services received, learned a bunch of useful things, and left when things looked like they weren't going to continue "up trending". :)

Mark A. Baker

Would you care to elaborate on your sense of superiority, and how you regard ex-Scientologists as inferior ARC broken failed cases?, while yourself, because of your superior intelligence, weren't ARC broken with Scientology, thus remain a Scientologist to this day.

Do you think you'll ever recognize that it's not "ARC breaks," but decency and wisdom, that mainly motivate others to reject Scientology? - Having outgrown Scientology.

TR'SIN

Patron with Honors
Whoaaa!

:clap: Well done for getting out. :happydance: Glad you still have a sense of humor. And Oh yeah, writing on this board does take on a certain kind of literal interpretation, so edit wisely.:newbie1:

But, I have a couple of episodes where I expressed similar thoughts and have never blamed anyone in my old Org (near your old mission) for my sticking it out for 17 yrs. Got your point and I believe Don is still using the phrase "groovy", that's the kind of guy he is.

Most of the people on this board will welcome you and I've found that its pretty good for the individual to tell their exit story.

I'd love to hear more:yes: and feel free to write whatever you want to as long as you follow Emma's rules of the board.:thumbsup:

:welcome2:

tiptoethrutheminefield

Patron with Honors
et tu, groovy?

We all were gullible but we were a lot of other things as well--some very fine qualities. You had your reasons. When I think of all the stuff my reg's used on me it is laughable, but laughing is good. Being staff was heroic in many cases, imo.

I'll agree with LRH about one thing--it IS a force universe (planet, at least) and the less aggressive go to the wall. I don't mind that I'm not going to win the "toughest, most wised up" sweepstakes here. I'm glad I trust, I'm glad I try, and I'm glad I never quit.

tiptoethrutheminefield

Patron with Honors
telling it like it is

Would you care to elaborate on your sense of superiority, and how you regard ex-Scientologists as inferior ARC broken failed cases?, while yourself, because of your superior intelligence, weren't ARC broken with Scientology, thus remain a Scientologist to this day.

Do you think you'll ever recognize that it's not "ARC breaks," but decency and wisdom, that mainly motivate others to reject Scientology? - Having outgrown Scientology.

Whoaaah, Veda! :clap: