Portland Pics

In present time

Gold Meritorious Patron
It's great to hear all these stories! Do you remember what the Stray Cat Strut one could have been?
stray cat strut? my definitinion would be soaking wet, in the park at one am with a lighter, singing "we will overcome" like a bunch of little baby angels.
everything aboot the "crusade" was dripping with hypocrisy.

but you can find the roots of the IAS-holeness (thanks tony's commenters) in it.

In present time

Gold Meritorious Patron
Wow great pics, thank you for that. I looked for me in them and thankfully didn't find any that I could recognize (although I did look a tad different back then).

A bunch of us from RealWorld Corporation on the east coast of the USA went to Portland for that little happening. Gawd I bet I walked around that courthouse over 100 times holding a sign saying "Live Free or Die", and then in small letters at the bottom "Our State Motto".

We thought we were doing good but clearly were not. Such misdirected energy. :faceslap:
It "FELT" so fake. It is no wonder that your feelings are the first thing to be invalidated in Scientology.
By the time Portland came around I was trying to save myself from Scientology. I was sorta forced to go there. (Probably we all were, one way or another.)
But when I played that pipe organ, I felt divinely inspired, I felt amazing. I will never forget that. I played and played and played. It is like my fingers had a memory of their own. I composed long pieces... I channeled Bach. It was truly transformative. Every vibration of that organ sunk deep into me.
And at the end of the day? In the back of my mind I thought I was probably dramatizing a past life, possibly even a religious implant, and to top it off... I was sneaking away to the church instead of "saving the planet."

:duh::duh::duh:

and to complete my catholic implant restim, the handsome man that let me stay at his house took me to "the grotto". a beautiful hilly park withthe stations of the christ, and oh, it was so lovely. if i had any main criticism of scientology, it would be that it is not pretty.

in my paradigm the essence, " pretty" covers just about everything;)

(long story there, i won't bore you, lol).

And I didn't even meet many fellow scns. I would have never had the rank to meet you, my dear Denise. So, I am lucky I can now;)

Last edited:

In present time

Gold Meritorious Patron
Wow great pics, thank you for that. I looked for me in them and thankfully didn't find any that I could recognize (although I did look a tad different back then).

A bunch of us from RealWorld Corporation on the east coast of the USA went to Portland for that little happening. Gawd I bet I walked around that courthouse over 100 times holding a sign saying "Live Free or Die", and then in small letters at the bottom "Our State Motto".

We thought we were doing good but clearly were not. Such misdirected energy. :faceslap:
I wouldn't recognise you without all that cleavage;)

In present time

Gold Meritorious Patron
Portland, huh? I've heard mixed things about Portland. I might have to check it out one of these days, and maybe see if I can't still find In present time's church with the beautiful organ.

Even when I was there back in 85 or whatever the locals were already complaining about the "californicators."

real estate developers saw it as a lovely area to exploit, and exploit, they did.
Californians were making families and looking for an escape from the rat race. and Portland was filling up with people with too much money. This was pushing locals out.

Portland, IMNSHO is not really Portland anymore.
It is just another gentrified area.

JustMe

Patron Meritorious
It "FELT" so fake. It is no wonder that your feelings are the first thing to be invalidated in Scientology.
By the time Portland came around I was trying to save myself from Scientology. I was sorta forced to go there. (Probably we all were, one way or another.)
But when I played that pipe organ, I felt divinely inspired, I felt amazing. I will never forget that. I played and played and played. It is like my fingers had a memory of their own. I composed long pieces... I channeled Bach. It was truly transformative. Every vibration of that organ sunk deep into me.
And at the end of the day? In the back of my mind I thought I was probably dramatizing a past life, possibly even a religious implant, and to top it off... I was sneaking away to the church instead of "saving the planet."

:duh::duh::duh:

and to complete my catholic implant restim, the handsome man that let me stay at his house took me to "the grotto". a beautiful hilly park withthe stations of the christ, and oh, it was so lovely. if i had any main criticism of scientology, it would be that it is not pretty.

in my paradigm the essence, " pretty" covers just about everything;)

(long story there, i won't bore you, lol).

And I didn't even meet many fellow scns. I would have never had the rank to meet you, my dear Denise. So, I am lucky I can now;)

WOW, so beautiful. I have heard some of your musical renderings and they always leave me breathless. :rose:

Oh, no one, not ever, not even in my stupid WDC days, needed rank to meet me. Humanity, not to mentioned spirituality, is so often masked by "rank".

Purple Rain

Crusader
I was not trying to steal the thread! Just one more section of comments about that before I stop stealing the thread:

Did you notice that I put 4 - 5 staff shot? Where were the public? I don't think there were any in the org when he did it. One was a Sea Org member from Flag. All of them were ok, just Helen's was the saddest story of them.

The other thing was that when she woke up after surgery, and she was told that she was paralyzed... the first thing she asked was where her desk would be so that she could get back on post (for those who don't know, CCPTL layout is that when you walk into reception area, you have to go down a set of stairs or up stairs to get to any offices).

I think this happened in 96 if I am not mistaken...

I do know that Workmens Comp covered everything, including her future ability to work, getting construction done on her house so she could access it and the rooms inside.

It's also so sad to me that her desk was the first thing she asked about and not her baby or herself.

Polly

Patron with Honors
stray cat strut? my definitinion would be soaking wet, in the park at one am with a lighter, singing "we will overcome" like a bunch of little baby angels.

but you can find the roots of the IAS-holeness (thanks tony's commenters) in it.

Thanks lol... My definition of the stray cat strut... Me!I was too adventurous:happydance:

The_Fixer

Class Clown
I noticed years ago that "Paul" doesn't fit into songs or poems too well, nor for that matter does it slide off the tongue when saying my full name (Paul Adams). I sometimes wished for a first name with two syllables, like my older siblings. My mother told me that she had grown tired of people shortening their names badly to one syllable (like "Nigel" to "Nige") so for me deliberately started off with only one in the first place.

Which is probably why that song has two "heys" in it instead of the more natural one. He should have called himself "Johnny." :)

Paul

Well you could always go the other way and call yourself Paulie? There's your 2 syllables.

Some people aren't too comfortable about that though.

MrNobody

Who needs merits?

You guys wanna know what I really love about this board? For every couple of minutes I read here, another old song finds his way back into my head. It's like BAM! The lyrics are there, the chords are there, the groove is there - and since I usually have an instrument within an arm's reach, I often play it right away.

OK, back to the topic: The Stray Cat Strut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvsUIMB2RlU

I really like Brian Setzer's style.

Purple Rain

Crusader
You guys wanna know what I really love about this board? For every couple of minutes I read here, another old song finds his way back into my head. It's like BAM! The lyrics are there, the chords are there, the groove is there - and since I usually have an instrument within an arm's reach, I often play it right away.

OK, back to the topic: The Stray Cat Strut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvsUIMB2RlU

I really like Brian Setzer's style.

God, I really liked that! Thanks! So much I have missed.

Polly

Patron with Honors

Ahhh the candlelight vigil...sniffle sniffle cough... Yep it was pretty "Drizzerable":depressed:

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
stray cat strut? my definitinion would be soaking wet, in the park at one am with a lighter, singing "we will overcome" like a bunch of little baby angels. everything aboot the "crusade" was dripping with hypocrisy.

What? You sayin' Scilons are cat lovers? :biggrin:

[video=youtube;WYiwxM_RVEI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYiwxM_RVEI[/video]

Lone Star

Crusader
Even when I was there back in 85 or whatever the locals were already complaining about the "californicators."

real estate developers saw it as a lovely area to exploit, and exploit, they did.
Californians were making families and looking for an escape from the rat race. and Portland was filling up with people with too much money. This was pushing locals out.

Portland, IMNSHO is not really Portland anymore.
It is just another gentrified area.

Same thing is happening to Austin right now. It sucks!!

Last edited:

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP

real estate developers saw it as a lovely area to exploit, and exploit, they did. Californians were making families and looking for an escape from the rat race. and Portland was filling up with people with too much money. This was pushing locals out. Portland, IMNSHO is not really Portland anymore. It is just another gentrified area.

I would agree with you, in part. I know of many Portlanders that have lived & worked in the city since the 70s & they haven't been "pushed out". It's true that the Pacific Northwest became a haven for Californians who grew tired of the high cost of living & real estate prices. That's not unusual. I lived in Florida during a time it was being flooded with out-of-state residents looking for a warmer climate, lower cost-of-living, and jobs. Sadly, many jobs in Florida are seasonal and many employers, even at Disney World, generally, only hire part-time.

When I was attending Portland State, the city had a rural charm to it. It's since become a metropolis with a monstrous sky tram obscuring the landscape, but popular with tourists.

2425905588_a1568182a3.jpg

But, despite the changes in Portland, it remains in many respects a rural city & has become quite popular with tourists, which is a boon to it's economy.

Polly

Patron with Honors
I would agree with you, in part. I know of many Portlanders that have lived & worked in the city since the 70s & they haven't been "pushed out". It's true that the Pacific Northwest became a haven for Californians who grew tired of the high cost of living & real estate prices. That's not unusual. I lived in Florida during a time it was being flooded with out-of-state residents looking for a warmer climate, lower cost-of-living, and jobs. Sadly, many jobs in Florida are seasonal and many employers, even at Disney World, generally, only hire part-time.

When I was attending Portland State, the city had a rural charm to it. It's since become a metropolis with a monstrous sky tram obscuring the landscape, but popular with tourists.

2425905588_a1568182a3.jpg

But, despite the changes in Portland, it remains in many respects a rural city & has become quite popular with tourists, which is a boon to it's economy.

That just makes me sad... Portland itself was perfect as I remember it...I really loved the cobblestone streets and the parks and the people. Sounds like the rat race goes through there now.:bigcry:

In present time

Gold Meritorious Patron
Sam thing is happening to Austin right now. It sucks!!
Yeah, I lived in Austin for years, you could see that coming back in the 80's when Texas Instruments really started to expand.
Last time I went back in the late 90's I couldn't even find my way around anymore.
And it's trendy... loads of Californians are moving to Austin, pretending to be Texas after two months lol.