Posting on the internet is like picking your nose in the car

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
You've seen it. You're driving along and you pull up next to someone who has their finger buried knuckle deep in their nostril. For some strange reason they think you can't see them. Or maybe, because they aren't looking right at you, they forget that their windows are made of glass and anyone can see them if they get close enough.

I see the same thing on the internet. I think people forget that others can actually see them.

Example: John Smith posts to a dog lovers message board and tells everyone how much he loves dogs. But then he starts posting to another message board about how much dog's annoy him & that if he could he'd shoot every darned dog that walked past his house. When someone from the original message board asks him about this he says "yeah, so what! I didn't post it on the dog lovers message board!"

Maybe thats a silly example. Here is another....

Jose McInfiddledick posts to OCMB and seems to get on well with everyone & joins in the conversation. He is well liked etc.

Then Jose starts posting to ESMB and starts bagging OCMB and saying how crap certain posters are & how he hated posting to OCMB & that ESMB is soooo much better.

Then Jose starts commenting regularly on a blog and starts whining about ESMB & how crap it is etc.

Meanwhile Jose is still posting to OCMB & ESMB like nothing has changed. Does he think nobody else reads the same sites he does? Does he really believe nobody is going to notice this?

Maybe it's OK and I'm just stuck in the 80s. But it seems weird to me to have opposing opinions & adjust them according to the venue you are posting at.

Anyone else notice this?

They are called politicians. We see it all the time - Mit Romney was a perfect example during the presidential campaign. I read somewhere, a writer has to think of his target audience and write for that. Like you wouldn't have a explicit steamy scene for a YA novel. But this isn't really that. Maybe he thinks it's cool to be dissing other sites, and it somehow makes him important? In the know? Like we care? But it is disingenuous.

Mimsey

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron
Excellent analogy.

I guess the moral of the story is that Jose shouldn't be picking his nose while he is posting to OCMB or ESMB.

Rd00

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
You've seen it. You're driving along and you pull up next to someone who has their finger buried knuckle deep in their nostril. For some strange reason they think you can't see them. Or maybe, because they aren't looking right at you, they forget that their windows are made of glass and anyone can see them if they get close enough.

I see the same thing on the internet. I think people forget that others can actually see them.

Example: John Smith posts to a dog lovers message board and tells everyone how much he loves dogs. But then he starts posting to another message board about how much dog's annoy him & that if he could he'd shoot every darned dog that walked past his house. When someone from the original message board asks him about this he says "yeah, so what! I didn't post it on the dog lovers message board!"

Jose McInfiddledick posts to OCMB and seems to get on well with everyone & joins in the conversation. He is well liked etc.

Then Jose starts posting to ESMB and starts bagging OCMB and saying how crap certain posters are & how he hated posting to OCMB & that ESMB is soooo much better.

Then Jose starts commenting regularly on a blog and starts whining about ESMB & how crap it is etc.

Meanwhile Jose is still posting to OCMB & ESMB like nothing has changed. Does he think nobody else reads the same sites he does? Does he really believe nobody is going to notice this?

Maybe it's OK and I'm just stuck in the 80s. But it seems weird to me to have opposing opinions & adjust them according to the venue you are posting at.

Anyone else notice this?

To my knowledge, I have never seen this happening. Can you be more specific on who is doing this?

You mean like a guy who pedals up to your doorstep and starts righteously preaching the virtues of Jesus, then meets with his buddies after church, to have a cup of coffee and discuss how much of a lowlife you are for now buying into his beliefs.

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron
To my knowledge, I have never seen this happening. Can you be more specific on who is doing this?

Isn't it Jose Mcinfiddledick?

Hey wait a second?

Jose has a Spanish mom and an Irish dad.

Potato Tacos!!

No wonder he has to pick his nose so much!

(I can get away with this because my dad is 1/2 Irish)

Rd00

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball

Anyone else notice this?
I would consider that behavior conclusive evidence of an OSA OP... Depending on topics posted about.. OSA don't give shit about dogs.

:yes:

Last edited:

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
Some people are desperate to be liked, and love stirring. Knock on number 3, they're Jehova's, chat about how nice the Watchtower is, knock on 5, theyre orthodox Jews, tell them you're trying to find a kosher butcher, and how weird JW's are, number 7, well they're agnostic, talk about how confused it must be to be orthodox like next door dictated to by the Bible, and so on down the street. Everyone seems to think you're nice and they hate each other more than they ever thought about it before.

Some people are just natural stirrers. I had an uncle that would go to a bar table and tell the drinkers that them over there were saying things about them, then go over to the other table and do the same, then sit back and watch the fight. :no:

TG1

Angelic Poster
Actually, I see this phenomenon sometimes in the Scio Internet communities. Part of it is, as Mimsey says, "politics." You don't want to get in someone's face on their home turf, unless you're a real member of that community.

As we all know, there are different sensibilities, cultures, politics on different boards. Jeez, there are SO MANY now -- In the last four years, I've probably posted on 10 myself (boards, blogs, Facebook groups, etc.). :nervous:

However, I do see a few folks (and no, I won't name them here) who are more chameleonesque than others. I know one guy (an Anon) who is a sweetie-pie to indies and exes on one board (not ESMB), and then profanely trashes their asses (by name) in other groups. Some of these forums are public and some are private.

After a while, you get to see who's genuine and who's not. Still, most people who post re Scientology online are just themselves. But some people, you just have to wonder where they're coming from. I think some of them just have no life and forget what they've said elsewhere.

It's not a big deal. In fact, it's probably all good. Nor am I saying that everybody who does this is shit-stirring. It could be a sign they're spending far too much time online.

Either way, as the social media experts say, the ones who do this aren't curating their online brand very well. (Don't stone me -- I read that somewhere.)

TG1

TrevAnon

Big List researcher
For some strange reason they think you can't see them. Or maybe, because they aren't looking right at you, they forget that their windows are made of glass and anyone can see them if they get close enough.

Third option: they don't care about you seeing them doing it.

What do you think I am eating right now...?! :biggrin:

Anonycat

Crusader
wtf.gif

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I don't post in very many Scn-related places apart from ESMB, and then not very often. One is a Facebook group where the owner doesn't like anything bad said about anyone at all. So I refrain from making the snarky comments there that I might make here. Does that count? Although I think the idea here is not so much following the house rules and holding one's tongue but more being two-faced.

And I sometimes do pick my nose when posting but try not to when my webcam is on.

Paul

Anonycat

Crusader

Anyone else notice this?

Yes.

laughing.gif

RandomCat

Patron with Honors
Some people are too easily influenced by what ever group they happen to be around at the time... so their criticism of the other group can become exaggerated/over-blown, in those situations.
Also,
It could be that some of these posters dislike a lot of the people at ESMB, but they still see some value in coming here. e.g. They don't what to be banned for posting here what they really think of some of the people at ESMB.

In present time

Gold Meritorious Patron
I don't post in very many Scn-related places apart from ESMB, and then not very often. One is a Facebook group where the owner doesn't like anything bad said about anyone at all. So I refrain from making the snarky comments there that I might make here. Does that count? Although I think the idea here is not so much following the house rules and holding one's tongue but more being two-faced.

And I sometimes do pick my nose when posting but try not to when my webcam is on.

Paul
you're an example of a worthwhile human. kinda like we could all get along if we took what we know and put it to good use. i don't know how rare that makes you, i could wish that you really are just dull and normal. but somehow, i don't think that is the case. in the past weeks i have come to just detest the internet, and frankly this thread seems useless. i don't see the purpose of it at all. so there, i have said it.

Jay Pea

Patron with Honors

Anyone else notice this?

I have. Picking at body parts is not cool, at least in public. Do you think Hubbard picked his nose, or rear end, naval, ears, etc.? Or was he so OT and was beyond such earthly urges and reactions?

Anonycat

Crusader
Some people are too easily influenced by what ever group they happen to be around at the time... so their criticism of the other group can become exaggerated/over-blown, in those situations.
Also,
It could be that some of these posters dislike a lot of the people at ESMB, but they still see some value in coming here. e.g. They don't what to be banned for posting here what they really think of some of the people at ESMB.

I think people are grateful of things around them, and in their lives, but in many cases, the Internet is not something people generally feel gratitude for. It's just there. And this forum is just here. I am grateful for this forum, and know very well that it's build on blood, sweat & tears, and some cash to make it work. Running a forum is hard work, and must be a labor of love to survive and thrive.

I like to have fun, and joke, but I have the highest respect ... and gratitude for those who make it work.

Some forums can at times, resemble a big complaint department, where various customers are sometimes dissatisfied with something or someone, and it's easy to lose it when in a complaining mood. I complain, joke, dox, and enjoy the camaraderie here, but if I ever had an issue about this forum, I'd send a message to the administrator, unless I'm just a complainy-pants looking for a place to complain.

A wise man once said: "If you don't like the news, go make some of your own." This to me is a good perspective. If someone really does not like something here - do something about it.

Last edited:

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron

Anyone else notice this?

I don't have this problem personally as what I post I only post here on ESMB, so my too often goofy, stupid and arrogant posts are all on one Board. :coolwink:

As far as the nose picking goes...that was my "ruin".:roflmao:

Face:)