What's new

Posting on the internet is like picking your nose in the car

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
This issue is not something that happens much on ESMB. I was using made-up examples. Mainly I see it on blogs.

Like when someone has a long history of heavily criticising Mike Rinder or Marty Rathbun, but then goes over to their blogs & blows smoke up their arses.

It's just weird to me.

Maybe I've missed a change of mind somewhere along the way.

It would be like Infinite posting on Rathbun's blog that he is wise & helpful! You'd kinda go "WTF??"

Purple Rain

Crusader
I don't have this problem personally as what I post I only post here on ESMB, so my too often goofy, stupid and arrogant posts are all on one Board. :coolwink:

As far as the nose picking goes...that was my "ruin".:roflmao:

Face:)

I also just post here except for Tony's blog. I've posted on Marty's blog a couple of times. I think one comment was censored and a couple of others went through. But I like to express support for him thinking for himself and questioning things. I don't think he gets enough credit for that. And I think his journey is exactly that - it belongs to him. When he does something that embarrasses the cult or gets up their wick I cheer. Otherwise I live and let live knowing that I am not so much better than any other Scientologist is or was, and am in fact worse inside than many people I suspect.

There are other blogs I might occasionally post on like the Ex Scientology Women blog, or Infinite Complacency or Lucas Catton's blog or Claire Headley or someone. But that is quite rare overall.

gerry

Patron with Honors
You've seen it. You're driving along and you pull up next to someone who has their finger buried knuckle deep in their nostril. For some strange reason they think you can't see them. Or maybe, because they aren't looking right at you, they forget that their windows are made of glass and anyone can see them if they get close enough.

I see the same thing on the internet. I think people forget that others can actually see them.

Example: John Smith posts to a dog lovers message board and tells everyone how much he loves dogs. But then he starts posting to another message board about how much dog's annoy him & that if he could he'd shoot every darned dog that walked past his house. When someone from the original message board asks him about this he says "yeah, so what! I didn't post it on the dog lovers message board!"

Maybe thats a silly example. Here is another....

Jose McInfiddledick posts to OCMB and seems to get on well with everyone & joins in the conversation. He is well liked etc.

Then Jose starts posting to ESMB and starts bagging OCMB and saying how crap certain posters are & how he hated posting to OCMB & that ESMB is soooo much better.

Then Jose starts commenting regularly on a blog and starts whining about ESMB & how crap it is etc.

Meanwhile Jose is still posting to OCMB & ESMB like nothing has changed. Does he think nobody else reads the same sites he does? Does he really believe nobody is going to notice this?

Maybe it's OK and I'm just stuck in the 80s. But it seems weird to me to have opposing opinions & adjust them according to the venue you are posting at.

Anyone else notice this?
Faceless people hiding behind a keyboard talking to faceless people hiding behind a keyboard they do not know.

Osiris

Patron with Honors
I think anyone who continues to post different things ....... eventually suffers from a loss of Credibility

while everyone is entitled to have a change of mind, ..... they should only have one view at a time, & it shouldn't matter if your talking with the "boys" or the "girls"

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
I feel the need to say: There is a distinct distinction between picking yer' nose and posting on the internet! - I just posted, and it was different.. And just to make sure, I also picked my nose., Yep! - Different!

:yes:

Last edited:

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller
This issue is not something that happens much on ESMB. I was using made-up examples. Mainly I see it on blogs.

Like when someone has a long history of heavily criticising Mike Rinder or Marty Rathbun, but then goes over to their blogs & blows smoke up their arses.

It's just weird to me.

Maybe I've missed a change of mind somewhere along the way.

It would be like Infinite posting on Rathbun's blog that he is wise & helpful! You'd kinda go "WTF??"

How peculiar I should be singled out as a specific example in an otherwise generalised thread about "some people" and "an Anon". Fortunately, it appears I am being used as an opposing exemplar of that being discussed, so thank you for the affirmation.

It is true that, despite my apparent faults, I am consistent across all venues in my various positions on Scientology and its characters, and that's because I know exactly what you mean: others will notice and word will spread. I've copied-for-DOX enough examples of inconsistencies to know also that they will come back to bite you on the arse. Sooner or later. I can understand why there are are inconsistencies but can only come up with a couple of reasons why people might think they can get away with it or, at least, not care. One thing I have noticed with inconsistencies is that they can be used to send an oblique message to another party; that tricksy cause / effect dynamic which is prevalent within but not unique to the wider Scientology conversation. Games within games within games.

Oddly enough, I think I have thanked a few people over at the M&M Show for their wisdom and helpfulness. Maybe even Marty. It was a few years ago when I began trying to understand how Scientology had managed to rob me of a good friend. Being on unfamiliar turf and in need of assistance, I was making an effort to show respect and ignore my /b/ tendencies at the time. As with most structured belief systems, one starts with its Axioms and silly me had expected a lucid discussion on the logic of Scientology's version. It started out okay, but got increasingly convoluted as time went on. Needless to say, and as confusing for me as it was at the time, the perma-b& hamma was swiftly applied. Basically, my sin was that I declined to respond appropriately to the handling and persisted in failing to understand, among other things, how "space" could be a "viewpoint" of anything, let alone self-evident. Still, at least I wasn't dangled before his pack of poodles for the ritual savaging. Happily for me, and thanks to your commitment to free speech, I managed to filter in over here where the confusion generated from my M&M Show experience was lifted when Alanzo gifted me with the wisdom which lives on to this day in my tag line.

TG1

Angelic Poster
Infinite, let me hasten to say I was NOT talking about YOU!

Why would you think that? You're very consistent with your opinions.

TG1

RandomCat

Patron with Honors
I think people are grateful of things around them, and in their lives, but in many cases, the Internet is not something people generally feel gratitude for. It's just there. And this forum is just here. I am grateful for this forum, and know very well that it's build on blood, sweat & tears, and some cash to make it work. Running a forum is hard work, and must be a labor of love to survive and thrive.

I like to have fun, and joke, but I have the highest respect ... and gratitude for those who make it work.

Some forums can at times, resemble a big complaint department, where various customers are sometimes dissatisfied with something or someone, and it's easy to lose it when in a complaining mood. I complain, joke, dox, and enjoy the camaraderie here, but if I ever had an issue about this forum, I'd send a message to the administrator, unless I'm just a complainy-pants looking for a place to complain.

A wise man once said: "If you don't like the news, go make some of your own." This to me is a good perspective. If someone really does not like something here - do something about it.
There's a tendency toward insensitivity when posting on the internet. e.g. Because it isn't face-to-face interaction.
And there are people who just like to bad-mouth others (in the real world), so they do it to the extreme on the net.

The only poster I've seen trash ESMB on another forum did so after he got banned from here: He had been upset about something on ESMB... but he was somewhat rude and tactless about getting his point across. Apparently, some of the posters here thought that he was a troll (At least that's how they responded to his posts... I might have thought the same thing if I didn't know of him from the other forum.)
It seems to me that he just got way too upset, and that he wasn't trying hard enough to see the other people's point-of-view.

As a general rule,
If I have anything critical to say about someone I try to tone-down that criticism to what seems like (at the time) a considerable degree. After some time has past, this toned-down criticism almost always seems to be closer to the truth, or at least it seems kinder/more-appropriate.

Last edited:

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
How peculiar I should be singled out as a specific example in an otherwise generalised thread about "some people" and "an Anon". Fortunately, it appears I am being used as an opposing exemplar of that being discussed, so thank you for the affirmation.

I meant absolutely no offence when I singled you out. I just needed an example of someone writing something so contradictory to what they normally write that it would assist people in understanding my point.

I could have used Veda as well. I just can't imagine Veda popping over to Mike Rinder's blog & saying how wonderful he is. If he did I would be very confused.

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
I feel the need to say: There is a distinct distinction between picking yer' nose an posting on the internet! - I just posted, and it was different.. And just to make sure, I also picked my nose., Yep! - Different!

Did you pick your nose IN the car IN traffic AT a traffic light???

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
Did you pick your nose IN the car IN traffic AT a traffic light???
Erh.. No. I must confess I just did it right here at the computer.. Point taken.. Theoretically, and admittedly marginally possibly it could be like posting on the internet...

I'll have to get back to you on that later.

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron
Too bad something can't be posted without a sig/ID of some type.

Because if you could then it would be more like "Posting on the Internet is like Farting in an Elevator".

Unless one is too "robust" with their posting. Then we would all "hear" who posted it.

Rd00

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller
I meant absolutely no offence when I singled you out. I just needed an example of someone writing something so contradictory to what they normally write that it would assist people in understanding my point.

I could have used Veda as well. I just can't imagine Veda popping over to Mike Rinder's blog & saying how wonderful he is. If he did I would be very confused.

I know. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I was just surprised and chuffed that of all the people you could have mentioned it happened to be me.

AngeloV

Gold Meritorious Patron
A wise sage once said:

You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose...but you can't pick your friend's nose. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron
A wise sage once said:

You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose...but you can't pick your friends nose. :biggrin:

Well actually if you think about it one could pick their friend's nose.

MIght not be the most efficient picking that wouldtake place.

Or what if Person A held Person B's finger and picked their own nose with it? Technically speaking could one say that person B pickd the nose of person A.

What if person A had two hands in a cast and needed his nose picked. Could he ask person B to pick his nose for him?

One might say that it is not so much the fact that one is picking their nose. It's what one does with it afterwards, which reminds me of something.

Does anyone hear think that nose picking and wiping it in conspicuous places exceeded masturbation as the most written up O/W?

Rd00