What's new

PR Director of Scientology’s Las Vegas Celebrity Center Arrested!

What????? You honestly think for even half a second that someone in the org "tipped the cops off" to Devon Newman's insane plan to kidnap and murder a cop and that is how she got caught? And your logic for this is that this is "definitely not OSA modus operandi"? I think you need to read the entire news story and get the facts straight as to what this is all about.

I think you also should review more of the video and documented evidence about what OSA's "modus operandi" actually is, because this is right up their alley. But no one is saying this is an OSA op.

Listen, the fact that a current Ideal Org executive (who is also ex-SO), hatched this plan with a registered sex-offender who has himself been arrested three times in the last 1-2 years, is cause enough for anyone to be wildly suspicious about what the hell they are doing at the Cof$. This is a woman who was not "sort of" involved with Scientology or was a "fringe member". It was a major part of her life for the past 10+ years and she was actively involved at a high level. She was also auditor trained and audited through OT levels. As part of her routine post duties, she represented the Cof$'s "human rights" programs and social betterment activities such as The Way to Happiness.

Do you think she's on the way to happiness? Do you think she represents Scientology? Is she what an OT should be out there doing? Making a difference in the world? The whole point of this is that this whole thing sheds light on what Cof$ actually produces and actually does versus their glowing PR. And as I mentioned earlier, I'm pretty sure that is why they are being so silent on this matter. They want this to go away and fast.

hogwash

being "wildly suspicious" is a wonderful way to waste time and energy

why would OSA have any interest in kidnapping torturing and killing a cop?

no. i don't think she represents scientology. as far as i have been able to determine Co$ doesn't represent scientology either

the correct action for Co$ is what they did; have their spokesgoblin issue the brief statement that was issued and continue with whatever dev-t they are currently making for each other

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
no. i don't think she represents scientology.

Commander, you sound as though you've accepted the recently vacated position of Director of Public Relations, Celebrity Center, Las Vegas.

Congratulations! :coolwink: :biggrin:

Don't just leave and forget all your friends on ESMB. :ohmy:

as far as i have been able to determine Co$ doesn't represent scientology either

With the degree of criminality and insanity within the CoS I would say that they most perfectly represent scientology. They're clearing bank accounts, 1 at a time. :duh:

I believe the cops' version of the story. They infiltrated the Sovereign Citizen group and got solicited to participate in this crime.

Sovereign Citizens are some scary fuckers, so it seems perfectly plausible for the cops to want to infiltrate them. Occam's razor, folks. As much as I believe in my conspiracy theories, this ain't the time / place to look for a conspiracy theory type explanation.

Neither the cult nor the culties will post bail. The culties are sucked dry. The cult.... Well, $200k bail would be out-exchange. You wouldn't want to give her anything for free or else she might become, well, you know..... (probably too late, though - she's already walking and quacking like a criminal).

it still is plausible scilons pointed the local gendarmerie in her direction. instead of being "wildly suspicious" why not try being intelligently suspicious. there's piles of indicators OSA extensively infiltrates right-wing talk radio but no one on esmb ever seems to pay any attention to it, presumably because OSA infiltrates esmb and prompts members to be "wildly suspicious" so they will neither do anything effective on their own nor have any credibility with the general public

post bail for her?

what are you thinking about?

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
None of this discussion addresses how in hell a 67-year-old woman who's a lifelong Scientologist, ex-Sea Org, current staff member at a Scientology "Ideal Org" and "public relations director" (of all things) got very mixed up with a registered child sex molester who's 25 years younger than her and looks like a skinhead and winds up living with him.

I don't think it's strange at all. Lonely woman meets guy with a shared value system with shared beliefs & they become friends. Woman allows man to move in with her.

A bigger question is just how active Devon was as PR Director for Las Vegas. The LV Org hasn't been that successful an org over the last several years.. anons who have protested there said it's mostly empty & devoid of staff. Was Devon the acting PR Director in name only to avoid the embarrassment of not actually having a real PR Director?

Given the pressure on production & stats, most PR Directors of orgs have little time for anything else outside the cult, much less spend alot of time entertaining undercover cops & making elaborate plans to kidnap & kill cops.

guanoloco

As-Wased
Sadly, I think that she'll get better medical care in jail. I'm surprised the judge didn't go into the details of her medical treatment. I would assume that you can't get auditing for the mitosis engram in jail, but that is hardly medical treatment.

Funny you said this as I was thinking of the Metalosis Rundown of Expanded Dianetics fame...she's certainly a candidate for that stuff...then I thought of handcuffs...that's just gotta restim that Metalosis RD material.

guanoloco

As-Wased
well, if you think about it you might realize it is likely the people who tipped the cops to what she was doing were her colleagues at CoS and the media is merely having a foofaraw twitting CoS when there is not really any story there at all

this was a sovereign citizens thing. deinitely not OSA modus operandi

Scientology would've fired her with a ton of fanfare before tipping off the cops. The PR fallout, man!

The worst fail of Scientology is how did she go this long undetected? Nobody caught her divs per session? Isn't she OT something? Wouldn't that be a requirement to eligibility and exec posting?

it still is plausible scilons pointed the local gendarmerie in her direction. instead of being "wildly suspicious" why not try being intelligently suspicious. there's piles of indicators OSA extensively infiltrates right-wing talk radio but no one on esmb ever seems to pay any attention to it, presumably because OSA infiltrates esmb and prompts members to be "wildly suspicious" so they will neither do anything effective on their own nor have any credibility with the general public

post bail for her?

what are you thinking about?

My thoughts are about you.

iHateDuplicity

Patron with Honors

No, it's not plausible at all. There is no way, repeat NO WAY, that anyone in Cof$ "handled" Devon Newman by turning her in to the police so she could generate one of the most potentially dangerous PR flaps for the Church ever. No way. That is absolute crazy talk.

Gadfly

Crusader
Scientology would've fired her with a ton of fanfare before tipping off the cops. The PR fallout, man!

The worst fail of Scientology is how did she go this long undetected? Nobody caught her divs per session? Isn't she OT something? Wouldn't that be a requirement to eligibility and exec posting?

Yeah, it always kills me how some staff member or public chugs along for years and years, treated as "upsat", getting products, and then SUDDENLY, "following an HCO Investigation" it is found that the person is an SP!

What about the E-meter? Sec Checks? Meter checks? Indicators?

The fact that SO MANY people "get by without detection" speaks much abut the INABILITY of Scientology methods to do what they say they can do. But also, many of the people who get investigated and then declared have NOTHING wrong with them, other than correctly finding faults with some aspect of the nutty world of Scientology. Once any person is viewed as "bad", then they find and make-up all sorts of kangaroo-court evidence to make the person appear to be a textbook "SP".

No, it's not plausible at all. There is no way, repeat NO WAY, that anyone in Cof$ "handled" Devon Newman by turning her in to the police so she could generate one of the most potentially dangerous PR flaps for the Church ever. No way. That is absolute crazy talk.

Co$ has always had substantial numbers of pretty bright decent people. i didn't say Co$ turned her in, i said her colleagues in Co$ dropped a dime on her

clarity of thought, speech and writing favor those who would be effective in, among other things, undoing Co$ abuses

there's a really great process on level 0, "spot a hidden communication"

funny that elron with his proclivity for gross hyperbole should have ever underestimated auditing but he did say it was "all negative gain". this is one of numerous positive gain processes as it increases the awareness of hidden communication and the ability to spot them (while also giving the negative gain of discharging BPC from hidden communications gone unnoticed)

and...

to expand on an earlier post, i was noticing numerous indications rightwing talk show hosts were in bed with scientologists and one morning in boston heard michael graham, just before a commercial break say of a political opponent that "he has overts"

and i believe that good christian man...

there's a really great process on level 0, "spot a hidden communication"

funny that elron with his proclivity for gross hyperbole should have ever underestimated auditing but he did say it was "all negative gain". this is one of numerous positive gain processes as it increases the awareness of hidden communication and the ability to spot them (while also giving the negative gain of discharging BPC from hidden communications gone unnoticed)

and...

to expand on an earlier post, i was noticing numerous indications rightwing talk show hosts were in bed with scientologists and one morning in boston heard michael graham, just before a commercial break say of a political opponent that "he has overts"

and i believe that good christian man...

...was on the one hand very impressed by the material he was being spoonfed by his CoS handlers but on the other being aware of the controversies wanted to send "a message in a bottle" to intelligent informed listeners

If so, they'd better have already blown, because that's deemed a suppressive act, and everyone in LV is undoubtedly getting sec checked within an inch of their lives.

hell, knowing and applying the tech is a suppressive act f'crissakes

CoS has always had some great souls who do fine things as long as they can. many of them are now helping to construct a valuable archive on this board

graham was subtle. he spoke the word "overts" with muffled softness and instantly cut to the commercial. only someone familiar with the word paying keen attention would know what he had said

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
Re: Scientology's Executive - Prelim Hearing - Criminal Charges 9-9-13

Scientology's PR Executive, Devon Campbell Newman, is scheduled to appear at 9:00 a.m. in a Las Vegas Court for a Preliminary Hearing related to the criminal charges (conspiracy to commit kidnapping/1st degree, attempted kidnapping/1st degree, conspiracy to commit murder, etc.) filed against her on/about August 21, 2013.

Per the Clark County Detention Center's website, (link to search page here: http://www.clarkcountynv.gov/Depts/...=redrock&P=ccdcincustody/inCustodySearch.aspx ) Ms. Newman's inmate ID number is 05994051 and the case number is 13F13634B. Bail was set at $200k soon after her arrest by JOP Conrad Hafen, at which time Carl Arnold of the Public Defender's Office was assigned as her counsel.

The Detention Center's website indicates Ms. Newman remains in custody and that tomorrow's hearing remains as originally scheduled for September 9, 2013 at 9:00 a.m. Her alleged co-conspirator, David A. Brutsche, is scheduled to attend the same hearing...and another one on September 10, 2013, related to the charges against him re: failing to register as a sex offender.

To read more about the background of this case, along with the actual arrest documents, visit The Underground Bunker, here: http://tonyortega.org/2013/08/23/pr...center-arrested-in-plot-to-assassinate-a-cop/

Would anyone happen to know if Nevada criminal procedure permits bail reduction petitions to be submitted during a preliminary hearing? I've just read a bit online, but cannot find a definitive answer.

JB

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
Yes, the defense can ask for a bail reduction at a prelim, but I seriously doubt Judge Hafen will agree to it. In a prelim, the judge must find that there is enough evidence to hold the defendant to answer in the trial court.

I believe Judge Hafen will be tough on Devon Newman. Hafen is a devout Mormon (served a fulltime mission, got married, had lots of kids, etc.) Mormon judges tend to be very by-the-book in their interpreting the law & are pro-police. He has been criticized in the past for his tough approach to criminal defendants in the past.

http://www.clarkcountycourts.us/lvjc/pdf/biographies/Conrad Hafen.pdf

Second. Judge Hafen got a poor review in judicial performance last year by Clark County attorneys.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/c...t-judges-get-passing-grades-negative-comments

guanoloco

As-Wased
Yeah, it always kills me how some staff member or public chugs along for years and years, treated as "upsat", getting products, and then SUDDENLY, "following an HCO Investigation" it is found that the person is an SP!

What about the E-meter? Sec Checks? Meter checks? Indicators?

The fact that SO MANY people "get by without detection" speaks much abut the INABILITY of Scientology methods to do what they say they can do. But also, many of the people who get investigated and then declared have NOTHING wrong with them, other than correctly finding faults with some aspect of the nutty world of Scientology. Once any person is viewed as "bad", then they find and make-up all sorts of kangaroo-court evidence to make the person appear to be a textbook "SP".

I guess that's the testament to the effectiveness of Scientology's workability and Keeping Scientology Working and Honest Beings Have Rights and The Most Ethical Group On The Planet Putting Ethics In On The Planet and Islands Of Sanity and You Can Be Right and Clean Hands and all that bullshit being 180 degrees opposite vector...this is a place that Declares David Mayo and selects David Miscavige as the leader.

How can it do anything BUT fail? And it being a study in survival?

What a hoot!

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
Re: Scientology's Executive - Prelim Hearing - Criminal Charges 9-9-2013

Yes, the defense can ask for a bail reduction at a prelim, but I seriously doubt Judge Hafen will agree to it. In a prelim, the judge must find that there is enough evidence to hold the defendant to answer in the trial court.

I believe Judge Hafen will be tough on Devon Newman. Hafen is a devout Mormon (served a fulltime mission, got married, had lots of kids, etc.) Mormon judges tend to be very by-the-book in their interpreting the law & are pro-police. He has been criticized in the past for his tough approach to criminal defendants in the past.

http://www.clarkcountycourts.us/lvjc/pdf/biographies/Conrad Hafen.pdf

Second. Judge Hafen got a poor review in judicial performance last year by Clark County attorneys.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/c...t-judges-get-passing-grades-negative-comments

Thanks for all of the info, Smurf! :clap:

None of the original online news accounts in August stated that JOP Hafen would preside at the preliminary hearing -- only that he sat for the arraignment/plea submission/original bail hearing -- but I agree with your assessment if he should do so.

I've checked the calendars generated by the Vegas court site and cannot find Devon Newman's name associated with a prelim hearing on the dockets -- although it is listed on the Detention Center's site. It wouldn't be unheard of for a defendant to waive her right to a prelim hearing, of course, but I'm sure we'll all learn a bit more tomorrow.

In the days/weeks/months ahead, it's likely that a judge will have to weigh the issue of bail reduction for Ms. Newman. She's a 67 years old grandmother -- who stands accused of some truly terrible crimes. Politically, morally, legally, and pragmatically, this decision presents certain challenges for a decision-maker elected to office. (Side note: Does anyone think that a drastically-reduced bail would prompt Co$/scientology to write a check to the bail bonds office?)

JB