What's new

PR Director of Scientology’s Las Vegas Celebrity Center Arrested!

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
Re: Scientology's Executive - Prelim Hearing - Criminal Charges 9-9-2013

Thanks for all of the info, Smurf! :clap:

None of the original online news accounts in August stated that JOP Hafen would preside at the preliminary hearing -- only that he sat for the arraignment/plea submission/original bail hearing -- but I agree with your assessment if he should do so.

You can access the court docket here.. https://www.clarkcountycourts.us/LVJCCriminal/default.aspx

Case No. 13F13634 for Brutsche & 13F13434B for Devon Newman. The calendar shows Judge Hafen presiding over both hearings tomorrow.

TG1

Angelic Poster

In the days/weeks/months ahead, it's likely that a judge will have to weigh the issue of bail reduction for Ms. Newman. She's a 67 years old grandmother -- who stands accused of some truly terrible crimes. Politically, morally, legally, and pragmatically, this decision presents certain challenges for a decision-maker elected to office. (Side note: Does anyone think that a drastically-reduced bail would prompt Co$/scientology to write a check to the bail bonds office?)

:hysterical:

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
Re: Scientology's Devon Newman & David Brutsche -- 9-9-13 Court Update

Still looking online for an update on Devon Newman's court appearance today, but found an update for her alleged co-conspirator, David A. Brutsche. Apparently, his preliminary hearing was not held today -- it's been rescheduled to later in the month.

[EDIT: Both are now scheduled for a preliminary hearing on September 26, 2013.]

From CBS-Las Vegas...

"Sovereign Citizen Assigned Lawyer"

(LAS VEGAS, NV., KXNT)–He didnt want one, but David Brutsche has been assigned a lawyer as he faces charges that he and an accomplice plotted the abduction of Metro police officers.

Brutsche is a member of the so-called Sovereign Citizens, an extremist group listed as a domestic terrorist organization. The group does not recognize many laws, courts, or official documents. Brutsche and Devon Newman are accused of plotting to kidnap Metro police officers. But in an appearance in court Monday, some of the more serious charges facing him–conspiracy to commit murder and first-degree kidnapping–were dropped from the police complaint.

(My bold ^^^^.) What? Why?

Brutsche is set for a late September preliminary hearing. He is also scheduled for an appearance on unrelated charges of failing to register as a sex offender later this week.

Link to article: http://lasvegas.cbslocal.com/2013/09/09/sovereign-citizen-assigned-lawyer/

Last edited:

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
I think what is interesting to me, is that now media makes the Scio link. When I was in, members would do all sorts of insane shit, and then the cult would distance... the connection never came out.

I gotta admit, I really credit the Southpark dudes and Anon for this. I know folks have criticism, but without that, I don't know that folks committing crimes like this were Scios would even have mention of them being Scientologists brought out in footnotes.

Times have really changed. I sometimes think that those newer to the whole scene really have no idea what the prior landscape looked like. I only started speaking after the landscape started to change a bit (just because that was where in my journey, but I DID take the time to find out what it was like... it was still a risk when I started posting here, but NOTHING like others have endured).

There are so many stories that haven't been told, simply because the landscape was that much worse.....

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yeah, I remember what happened to Time in 1991, and that was somewhat pale compared to stories like Paulette's.

People thumb their noses at OSA now, but back in the day they got away with all kinds of shit because no one believed that could go on in a functioning, free society.

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yeah, I remember what happened to Time in 1991, and that was somewhat pale compared to stories like Paulette's.

People thumb their noses at OSA now, but back in the day they got away with all kinds of shit because no one believed that could go on in a functioning, free society.

Yeah, it's one thing that I try to bring up here from time to time. OSA is now just a joke to so many, but they seriously destroyed livde and would make people ill if they really saw the stuff they did.

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
Re: Scientology's Devon Newman & David Brutsche - Criminal Charges Update

"2 of 3 Charges Against 'Sovereign Citizens' Dropped" - From KVVU-TV, Aaron Barker
Link here: http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/23393360/2-of-3-charges-against-soverign-citizens-dropped

Excerpts:

LAS VEGAS (FOX5) - Prosecutors have dropped two of the three charges against a couple arrested last month, accused of plotting to kidnap, try by jury and execute police officers.

Both suspects were charged with conspiracy to commit murder, conspiracy to commit kidnapping* and attempted first-degree kidnapping with use of a deadly weapon. A judge granted bail for both of them.

On Tuesday, prosecutors released an amended complaint showing that the conspiracy to commit murder and attempted first-degree kidnapping charges were dropped for both Newman and Brutsche.

Both suspects told FOX5 during jailhouse interviews that they never intended to harm any police officers, but rather shed light on officers who violate the civil rights of others.

(*This is the criminal charge that remains alleged against both Newman and Brutsche.)

The Preliminary Hearing for both defendants is still scheduled for September 26, 2013, but that is subject to change since Ms. Newman's attorney, Carl Arnold, has reportedly requested separate trials.

JB

RebtGenius

Patron with Honors

If anybody is interesting in commenting on the story, I suggest they follow the link to the story. The first two reader comments are somewhat suspect, although amusing.

clowntown

"a 67 yo woman versus a gun wielding cop???? i mean look at her picture, that is your everyday grandma, stop wasting taxpayers money for you depressing B. S. METRO. Please.

fox5socks

"HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA! Funniest news of the year so far! Metro you are pathetic. "

"2 of 3 Charges Against 'Sovereign Citizens' Dropped" - From KVVU-TV, Aaron Barker
Link here: http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/23393360/2-of-3-charges-against-soverign-citizens-dropped

Excerpts:

(*This is the criminal charge that remains alleged against both Newman and Brutsche.)

The Preliminary Hearing for both defendants is still scheduled for September 26, 2013, but that is subject to change since Ms. Newman's attorney, Carl Arnold, has reportedly requested separate trials.

JB

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP

I suspect that the frame of mind of the defendants played into the prosecutor's decision to drop the most serious charges; i.e., the defendants are mental nutcases that lived out a "sovereign citizen" fantasy. The prosecutors could have very well gotten them convicted on the most serious charges only to have the convictions overturned by the appellate because it involves 2 mentally disturbed individuals.

In the case of David Brutsche today, "Defendant states he does not need an attorney nor does he need to represent himself as there has been no crime commited - he is simply here to "intervene" for himself. Faretta canvas performed on Defendant - Court finds defendant is not competent to act as his own lawyer - Public Defender to remain on the case."

A "faretta canvas" is a legal determination by the judge whether or not the defendant's waiver of counsel and desire for self-representation is informed and voluntary (that is, defendant is free of mental defect). The judge ruled that Brutsche would be represented by a defense attorney. It doesn't mean that Brutsche is required to speak to, or cooperate with, the attorney.

In the case of Devon Newman, the judge granted a defense motion "to review additional video provided by State". I suspect that means police videos taken of Newman during the sting operation or in post-arrest interrogation.

The sole remaining criminal charge.. Conspiracy to commit Kidnapping" is a Class B felony in Nevada.. if they are convicted, they can be sentenced up to 20 years in prison.

TG1

Angelic Poster
Thank you so much, Smurf, for that excellent reportage and interpretation.

"Sovereign citizen fantasy."

Yup -- just like baseball camp.

:hysterical:

TG1

I guess that's the testament to the effectiveness of Scientology's workability and Keeping Scientology Working and Honest Beings Have Rights and The Most Ethical Group On The Planet Putting Ethics In On The Planet and Islands Of Sanity and You Can Be Right and Clean Hands and all that bullshit being 180 degrees opposite vector...this is a place that Declares David Mayo and selects David Miscavige as the leader.

How can it do anything BUT fail? And it being a study in survival?

What a hoot!

how could it have done anything but fail and disappear by 1952?

but that's not what happened is it?

Thanks for all of the info, Smurf! :clap:

None of the original online news accounts in August stated that JOP Hafen would preside at the preliminary hearing -- only that he sat for the arraignment/plea submission/original bail hearing -- but I agree with your assessment if he should do so.

I've checked the calendars generated by the Vegas court site and cannot find Devon Newman's name associated with a prelim hearing on the dockets -- although it is listed on the Detention Center's site. It wouldn't be unheard of for a defendant to waive her right to a prelim hearing, of course, but I'm sure we'll all learn a bit more tomorrow.

In the days/weeks/months ahead, it's likely that a judge will have to weigh the issue of bail reduction for Ms. Newman. She's a 67 years old grandmother -- who stands accused of some truly terrible crimes. Politically, morally, legally, and pragmatically, this decision presents certain challenges for a decision-maker elected to office. (Side note: Does anyone think that a drastically-reduced bail would prompt Co$/scientology to write a check to the bail bonds office?)

JB

no

Excerpts:

JB

thank you

this is not surprising an i expect there will be a not guilty result. surely the woman would be unwilling to plea bargain down to a misdemeanor offense and the whole tempest in a teapot smacks of entrapment merely for a black PR stunt

the big push on CoS is currently keeping the public away in droves but they got money guns and lawyers and know how to use 'em...

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP

this is not surprising an i expect there will be a not guilty result. surely the woman would be unwilling to plea bargain down to a misdemeanor offense and the whole tempest in a teapot smacks of entrapment merely for a black PR stunt.

LOL. Surely you jest insinuating this is a Scientology black op. Devon would not be the first Scientologist to run afoul of the law & to be written off by the cult's chain-smoking rhino, Karin Pouw, as being a "disaffected member". A Colorado killer serving Life Without Parole comes to mind.
153314.jpg

Rex Fowler

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
I personally believe the most serious charges were dropped because there was no specific victim or intended victim named... Had the police waited a week, I have no doubt that there would have been a specific target named. But waiting a week would have also put officers at grave risk.

JBWriter

Happy Sapien

An interesting piece of info in this news report about this case, courtesy of The Las Vegas Review Journal, by Francis McCabe, bolded and in red...along with a snippet of a jailhouse interview with Scientology's own shining star, Devon Campbell Newman.

Excerpts:

Clark County prosecutors have dropped two of three charges against a man and a woman who Las Vegas police said planned to kidnap, convict and execute a random police officer in their own court of law as part of a domestic terrorist movement.

The complaint said their plan was to randomly kidnap a police officer and place the officer on trial. The two defendants took several actions to further the conspiracy, including training in firearms, producing videos explaining the conspiracy and constructing a metal bar that could be used to detain a person against a wall, according to the complaint.

Assistant District Attorney Chris Lalli said the two other counts were dropped after prosecutors recieved new information from police that would prevent them from proving those charges beyond a reasonable doubt.

But Newman, a mother and paralegal who moved to Las Vegas from Los Angeles, said undercover officers were the ones who called a meeting in the warehouse where they were arrested. Everyone was supposed to gather and talk about the “persecution” of Brutsche while selling water on Las Vegas Boulevard, Newman told the Review-Journal in a jailhouse interview.

What a multi-tasker, eh? Public Relations Executive for Scientology's Las Vegas Celebrity Centre, (and its representative to the Vegas Chamber of Commerce - whee!) paralegal, roommate to convicted sex offender, mom, alleged co-conspirator, criminal defendant, inmate, grandmother, planet-clearer -- AND she has perfect recall of who called whom to meet up and plan how best to kidnap/kill a cop, too? Color me impressed.

Here's a link to the entire article: http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/c...us-charges-against-accused-sovereign-citizens

JB (Who wonders why such a detailed article neglected to report Ms. Newman's position with Co$/scientology.)

I personally believe the most serious charges were dropped because there was no specific victim or intended victim named... Had the police waited a week, I have no doubt that there would have been a specific target named. But waiting a week would have also put officers at grave risk.

An interesting piece of info in this news report about this case, courtesy of The Las Vegas Review Journal, by Francis McCabe, bolded and in red...along with a snippet of a jailhouse interview with Scientology's own shining star, Devon Campbell Newman.

Excerpts:

What a multi-tasker, eh? Public Relations Executive for Scientology's Las Vegas Celebrity Centre, (and its representative to the Vegas Chamber of Commerce - whee!) paralegal, roommate to convicted sex offender, mom, alleged co-conspirator, criminal defendant, inmate, grandmother, planet-clearer -- AND she has perfect recall of who called whom to meet up and plan how best to kidnap/kill a cop, too? Color me impressed.

Here's a link to the entire article: http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/c...us-charges-against-accused-sovereign-citizens

JB (Who wonders why such a detailed article neglected to report Ms. Newman's position with Co$/scientology.)

I'm not following this too closely (read: too lazy to be thorough:biggrin:),
but for whatever it's worth.......despite the horribleness and insanity of the kill-a-cop plan and how deranged the accused might be, might charges have been dropped because cops botched certain things /procedures that would have had the whole case thrown out if they proceeded with all the original charges?
And despite the lies of the defendants, might the cops have gotten too much into the entrapment game to the point where they were actually initiating things that would have not been considered otherwise.
Or that a very convincing argument could have been made along those lines. Could the cops have overstated /lied about somethings...which then left them with insufficient evidence when it was time to proceed?

LOL. Surely you jest insinuating this is a Scientology black op. Devon would not be the first Scientologist to run afoul of the law & to be written off by the cult's chain-smoking rhino, Karin Pouw, as being a "disaffected member". A Colorado killer serving Life Without Parole comes to mind.
153314.jpg

Rex Fowler

no... try wiping the brown stuff out of your eyes and read it again...

it smacks of being an anti-CoS prank