What's new

Pretending

AngeloV

Gold Meritorious Patron
Recently I visted my daughter and her family. One of my granddaughters had her little plastic tea set out and wanted to have a 'tea party'. I sat down with her at her little table (boy it's hard on the old knees getting down to sit on those little chairs) and proceeded to play. I asked her if I could pour the tea and she said "yes!". I poured the imaginary tea from the completely empty teapot into her cup and mine. We both sipped our invisible tea and pronounced it delicious. She asked if I wanted a cookie and handed me a small (empty) dish. I picked up the 'cookie' and took a bite. She thought this was just the best thing in the world as the smile on her face lit up....

Later on, I recalled being a 10 year-old living in the city with lots of friends nearby. We would occasionally get together to 'play army'. We would run down to an empty lot on a nearby street and prepare for 'war'. We would search for the perfect stick that would become our pretend rifle. Small sticks, tucked into our pants, became our pistols. We planted land mines (small piles of rocks) and 'camouflaged' them with grass. A small string tied between two trees became a booby trap. If we 'accidently' tripped it a huge explosion would occur. Into the air we would fly (actually jump). 'Medic!' we would shout and one of us would come running with a med kit to 'bandage' our wounds with a rag. Bullets flying over our heads and (real) adrenaline pumping, we really felt that we were on a battle field.

Eventually, someone's mom would call out the window for us to come home to dinner. The spell would be broken and we'd run home famished from our game playing.

When I was in scientology, it wasn't long before I pretended I was a clear or an OT. I would imagine what it would be like to have my entire reactive mind vanish and be in present time - unaffected by past hurts and pains. Or even better, I imagined what it would be like to be OT...to be cause over matter, energy, space and time. To be able to leave my body at will and travel to anyplace on earth...even to distant planets in the galaxy as one OT told me she could do. We exes all imagined those things didn't we?

But, for most of us ex-scientlogists, 'mom' eventually called us home. Our pretending came to an end and it was back to the 'real world' for us.

If you are still in the cult, it's time to stop pretending and come home. Mom is calling.

Xenu's Boyfriend

Silver Meritorious Patron
Recently I visted my daughter and her family. One of my granddaughters had her little plastic tea set out and wanted to have a 'tea party'. I sat down with her at her little table (boy it's hard on the old knees getting down to sit on those little chairs) and proceeded to play. I asked her if I could pour the tea and she said "yes!". I poured the imaginary tea from the completely empty teapot into her cup and mine. We both sipped our invisible tea and pronounced it delicious. She asked if I wanted a cookie and handed me a small (empty) dish. I picked up the 'cookie' and took a bite. She thought this was just the best thing in the world as the smile on her face lit up....

Later on, I recalled being a 10 year-old living in the city with lots of friends nearby. We would occasionally get together to 'play army'. We would run down to an empty lot on a nearby street and prepare for 'war'. We would search for the perfect stick that would become our pretend rifle. Small sticks, tucked into our pants, became our pistols. We planted land mines (small piles of rocks) and 'camouflaged' them with grass. A small string tied between two trees became a booby trap. If we 'accidently' tripped it a huge explosion would occur. Into the air we would fly (actually jump). 'Medic!' we would shout and one of us would come running with a med kit to 'bandage' our wounds with a rag. Bullets flying over our heads and (real) adrenaline pumping, we really felt that we were on a battle field.

Eventually, someone's mom would call out the window for us to come home to dinner. The spell would be broken and we'd run home famished from our game playing.

When I was in scientology, it wasn't long before I pretended I was a clear or an OT. I would imagine what it would be like to have my entire reactive mind vanish and be in present time - unaffected by past hurts and pains. Or even better, I imagined what it would be like to be OT...to be cause over matter, energy, space and time. To be able to leave my body at will and travel to anyplace on earth...even to distant planets in the galaxy as one OT told me she could do. We exes all imagined those things didn't we?

But, for most of us ex-scientlogists, 'mom' eventually called us home. Our pretending came to an end and it was back to the 'real world' for us.

If you are still in the cult, it's time to stop pretending and come home. Mom is calling.

Goddamn. Brilliant and beautiful. I think you've just started your book. I loved this, especially about the granddaughter. Full of wonder and heartbreak. Thanks for sharing.

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free

One of your best comments ever.

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter

isn't there a difference between pretending and being under a misapprehension (and being lied to)?

I think there is.

I wasn't pretending when I was in CofS, and I doubt that most were. But we were wrong.