What's new

Project to bring Stop Scientology Disconnection Billboard to Clearwater, FL

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Project to bring Stop Scientology Disconnection Billboard to Clearwater, FL.

Tony Ortega has the story.

BILLBOARD 2.0 — Phil and Willie Jones set their sights on Scientology’s mecca in Florida

http://tonyortega.org/2016/06/11/bi...heir-sights-on-scientologys-mecca-in-florida/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Billboard2.jpg

Fresh off of their media conquest in Los Angeles, former Scientologists Phil and Willie Jones have a new target for their bright idea to highlight Scientology’s toxic “disconnection” policy with a prominent billboard near a major church center.

In April, the couple paid for a billboard in the Echo Park neighborhood of L.A. after crowdfunding about $12,000, in large part with the help of the readers of this website. The billboard had a positive message rather than a critical one, asking members of Scientology to call their loved ones. It also provided a link to a website that explained how the church splits up families by enforcing disconnection.

It’s disconnection that keeps Phil and Willie from seeing their own two grown children, Emily and Mike, who are both workers in Scientology’s “Sea Organization,” which asks its members to sign billion-year contracts and work for pennies an hour.

Phil and Willie, who live in Las Vegas, chose Los Angeles for the “Call Me” billboard because that’s where their children work for the church. But now, they’ve decided to raise funds for a second billboard in Clearwater, Florida, another major center for Scientology with a large concentration of Sea Org workers.

“Willie and I lived in Clearwater for about 26 years,” Phil tells us. “It’s considered the spiritual center for Scientology, and those who are going up the Scientology ‘Bridge’ will eventually go there. For a small town Scientology owns a larger percentage of property there than any other city or town in the world. Clearwater is where our daughter first joined the Sea Org.”

Phil says he’s attempting to raise $5,400 at a donation page in order to make the Florida billboard a reality. In the meantime, he let us know that the Echo Park billboard in Los Angeles is currently down, but he says his goal is to get both billboards — in Los Angeles and Clearwater — up at the same time next month.

The Los Angeles billboard, which had been up since April 4, came down about two weeks ago because of a small snafu in making a payment on time. But there are funds already in place to keep it going, so it will be going back up in July, Willie says.

And he’s aiming to get the new billboard, in Clearwater, unveiled on the same day that the L.A. billboard reappears.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

Cleawater "Call Me" Billboard

https://www.gofundme.com/floridabillboard

attachment.php

* * * * * BEGIN INTRODUCTION * * * * *

After the great success with the billboard we put up in Los Angeles we heard from many people in Clearwater, FL who had been affected by Scientology disconnection and would like to see one there.

The goal for now is to get enough to pay for the printing and the first month. Any additional money we get will go to additional months of keeping the billboard up.

To donate to our Los Angeles campaign please click here: https://www.gofundme.com/reconnectingfamily

* * * * * END INTRODUCTION * * * * *

Attachments

• CallMeBillboardFlorida.jpg
    CallMeBillboardFlorida.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 328

CommunicatorIC

Sat, July 23: Dedication of Stop Scientology Disconnection billboard in Clearwater

Saturday, July 23, 2016: Dedication of Stop Scientology Disconnection billboard in Clearwater, FL.

Tony Ortega: NEW DATE FOR CLEARWATER BILLBOARD CELEBRATION

http://tonyortega.org/2016/07/01/sc...-this-point-as-it-eyes-a-city-without-an-org/

Phil Jones tells us that he’s moving the date for the dedication ceremony of his newest “Call Me” billboard, in Clearwater, Florida. To get the biggest crowd that he can, he says he needs to move the date to Saturday, July 23.

We’ll reveal the location of the billboard once it’s up. But Phil asks that you do your best to find a way to Clearwater on July 23 for a party.

CommunicatorIC

Billboard seeking to reunite broken Scientology families coming to Clearwater

Billboard seeking to reunite broken Scientology families coming to Clearwater.

Tampa Bay Times: Billboard seeking to reunite broken Scientology families coming to Clearwater

http://www.tampabay.com/news/scient...broken-scientology-families-coming-to/2285112

Billboard seeking to reunite broken Scientology families coming to Clearwater

Tracey McManus, Times Staff Writer

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 4:45pm

CLEARWATER —The same, desperate plea Phil and Willie Jones plastered across a billboard in Los Angeles is scheduled to go up on E Bay Drive next week.

"To my loved one in Scientology … Call me," it will read.

The couple crowdsourced funds to put up the West Coast billboard in April as an attempt to inspire their two adult children, who are members of Scientology in Los Angeles, to reconnect with their parents. Phil Jones said since he and his wife left the religion around 2012, the church forced their children, Mike, 42, and Emily, 38, to cut off contact with their nonbelieving parents, a practice called disconnection.

Shortly after the billboard went up, Jones, 63, said he got requests from Floridians for a similar appeal in Clearwater — home of the Church of Scientology's worldwide spiritual headquarters — on behalf of other families who say they have also lost touch with loved ones.

Jones, an insurance adjuster now living in Las Vegas, didn't hesitate.

"In the end, this is not just about my wife and I and our kids anymore," he said. "There's literally thousands of people out there who have suffered from Scientology disconnection."

CommunicatorIC

Stop Scientology Disconnection 'Call Me' Billboard is up in Clearwater, FL

Stop Scientology Disconnection 'Call Me' Billboard is up in Clearwater, FL

Tony Ortega: BILLBOARD UP IN FLORIDA: Scientology ‘disconnection’ on view near Clearwater ‘mecca’

http://tonyortega.org/2016/07/20/bi...gy-disconnection-questioned-in-florida-mecca/

The billboard is at the southwest corner of East Bay and 20th St. SE, and faces west.

ClearwaterMap2.jpg

And we just got this statement from Phil…

We’re very excited. There are so many people in the Clearwater area who have been affected by Scientology disconnection and I hope this message brings their situation into the public eye. The support for this project has been overwhelming. Love will win out over Scientology’s abusive practice. The official launch is at 11am this coming Saturday and I hope there are lots of people who come out to join us. We’re so happy that Clear Channel stuck by us also. They’ve been terrific. We have some good things coming up. I hope it all culminates in the end of Scientology disconnection.

DSC00478r-e1469039044633.jpg

CommunicatorIC

VIDEO: Clearwater, FL Stop Scientology Disconnection "Call Me" Billboard in Action

VIDEO: Clearwater, FL Stop Scientology Disconnection "Call Me" Billboard in Action.

[video=youtube;KxYaDCg_WPg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxYaDCg_WPg[/video]