ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Protest at San Francisco Org - Monday, the Fifth of November

Discussion in 'North America Pickets and Protests' started by Anonycat, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Anonycat

Anonycat Crusader

What: Protest

When: 1:00ish on Monday the 5th of November

Where: 701 Montgomery St., San Francisco, CA

2. JackStraw

JackStraw Silver Meritorious Patron

:guyfawkes:"Remember, remember the 5th of November, the Gunpowder Treason and Plot.
    I know of no reason why the Gun Powder Treason should ever be forgot.":guyfawkes:

Remember to wear your Guy Fawkes costumes!:anon::guyfawkes:

Jack

3. Mark A. Baker

Mark A. Baker Sponsor

Remember, the key word there is TREASON. Fawkes & his associates were intent upon restoring the influence of the catholic church over the government through establishment of a puppet catholic monarch. In other words restoration of the power & influence of the church within the state.

Amusingly, that is rather the opposite of the stated goal of Anonymous.

Mark A. Baker :)

4. Rene Descartes

Rene Descartes Gold Meritorious Patron

Yeah and so I used to hear from my friend in the Jehovah Witness organizatin that Christmas started out as a pagan holiday.

Rd00

5. Mark A. Baker

Mark A. Baker Sponsor

It IS a pagan holiday. :biggrin:

Mark A. Baker

6. o bother, that's today and i don't fly to SF until tomorrow

7. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

Wot? No plug for Saturnalia?

Paul

8. GoNuclear

GoNuclear Gold Meritorious Patron

Yeah, but Christmas is a great day to be a Pagan.

Pete

9. Mark A. Baker

Mark A. Baker Sponsor

10. JackStraw

JackStraw Silver Meritorious Patron

Awww, i think you are missing my point (deliberately, of course. You know, for effect.)

You know, the penchant for Guy Fawkes masks at these things, and on Guy Fawkes Day! Too serendipitous to be ignored.

Those lines (the poem in the OP) were the first lines spoken in the film V for Vendetta as you probably know.

Yes, ol' Guido was a bit of a madman, going, as was his habit, just a bit too far. If I recall correctly, he felt let down by James I, who had promised (or at least hinted at) being more tolerant of Catholics.

As for V, while he wanted vengeance for what was done to him, personally, his bigger aim was personal, individual freedom for all.

Jack

11. Mark A. Baker

Mark A. Baker Sponsor

Let's just say that ... I can see meanings that extend your words beyond the direct intent in your original expression. Developing these additional harmonies & dissonances enriches the entire work. :angel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ciFTP_KRy4

Words are music, and so too are meanings. :)

Mark A. Baker :coolwink:

12. GoNuclear

GoNuclear Gold Meritorious Patron

I absolutely loved that scene in Amodeus ... a total spirit of play trumping all that hard work!

Pete