Protester sues Church of Scientology's Nashville center

Kha Khan

Patron Meritorious
Source: WWP - Protester sues Church of Scientology's Nashville center

Digg: Protester sues Church of Scientology's Nashville center

A Murfreesboro man has filed a $6 million lawsuit against the Church of Scientology's Nashville celebrity center claiming that guards hired by the church assaulted him while he was staging a protest.

Thomas A. Parker and other members of an anti-Scientology group called Anonymous planned to protest the center's grand opening on April 25.

Parker and others were walking down Eighth Avenue South, when two off-duty Spring Hill police officers, hired as security guards by the church, confronted them, the suit alleges. Parker claims he was pushed to the ground. He claims to have suffered injuries to his left shoulder, elbows and knees.
Charges dropped

According to the suit, Parker was arrested for aggravated criminal trespass. The charge was later dismissed.

Brian Fesler, spokesman for the Church of Scientology, said he was unaware of the lawsuit and had no comment.

The incident occurred on a sidewalk about 450 yards away and across the street from the Scientology center at 1130 Eighth Ave. S., said Nathaniel Koenig, Parker's lawyer.

Koenig said his client had every right to peacefully protest the Scientology event.

"I didn't know that walking down a public street in Nashville was a crime," said Koenig. "I have nothing against the Church of Scientology. I don't care. This is not attacking them as a religion. This is all about their attack on my client and his constitutional rights."

Protester sues Church of Scientology's Nashville center | tennessean.com | The Tennessean

/

KnightVision

Gold Meritorious Patron
Great News!

This is what EVERYONE who has been the victim of illegal crimes committed by the COS, their employees or hires and or members SHOULD BE DOING.

The cult is not going to stop committing crimes nor abusing legal rights of others... EVER. Unless...

The only way to handle them is SUE THEM. Get them ARRESTED. Bring CRIMINAL charges.

When that lesson is learned and followed...

Then there will be change.

Otherwise... DREAM ON.

Iknowtoomuch

Gold Meritorious Patron
I do think this is a valid one as they didn't have the permits for the correct day. 6 million is high but how do you put a price on freedom and being treated like that from cops. Even if they were off duty.
I hope this one goes in front a jury.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
I do think this is a valid one as they didn't have the permits for the correct day. 6 million is high but how do you put a price on freedom and being treated like that from cops. Even if they were off duty.

They didn't have permits for that day.
The assault/false arrest happend *outside* the area covered by the permit even for the correct day.
The out-of-towner armed police officers did not have the permission of local cops to be operating in the area.

Zinj

gimli

Patron
The assault/false arrest happend *outside* the area covered by the permit even for the correct day.
The out-of-towner armed police officers did not have the permission of local cops to be operating in the area.

The Hayes security guards were wearing "POLICE" logos and other things not allowed.
The Hayes guys had weapons without informing Nashville police as required by Nashville municipal code.
They were literally walking down the street, and then walking back the way they came when given orders by police impersonators, at the time they assaulted this guy.
Technically, Scientology illegally occupied the street that day and the city knowingly allowed it (based upon public officials attendance and Nashville cops and city road crews involved) not that it really matters for the assault.

Also, isn't this Brian Fesler lying.. well I guess he knew about the assault, but may not be lying by saying he was "unaware of the lawsuit".

And it is going to be on the 6 o'clock local news again.

comgud

Patron

They didn't have permits for the correct day. The guards were not on property covered by the permits when the incident took place, even if they had been on the correct day. They didn't register with Metro PD, and they were in improper uniform. They yelled epithets, and they knocked the kid down while he was leaving in compliance with their "requests".

They also destroyed his property. (signs and mask) But not the main issue.

Jury trial? Oh, I hope I hope I hope!

I don't really see the 6 million dollar tag as a problem or unjust though I have my doubts as to whether he'll get that amount. The purpose of the trial is to punish the CoS, the officers involved, and Hayes Security which employed them. For that to be appropriate punishment, the figure has to be significant. The CoS has deep coffers, and Hayes has insurance for such things. The final figure needs to be large otherwise it would be a slap on the wrist.

Kha Khan

Patron Meritorious
Protester Sues Nashville's Scientology Centre For Injuries
Religion Clause: Protester Sues Nashville's Scientology Centre For Injuries
The Tennessean reports today on a lawsuit filed against the Church of Scientology's Nashville Celebrity Centre by Thomas A. Parker, a member of the anti-Scientology group Anonymous. Parker and others planned to protest the April 25 opening of the Centre. The lawsuit alleges that Parker was confronted by two off-duty police officers who had been hired as security guards for the Centre, was pushed to the ground and arrested for criminal trespass. The incident occurred across the street, some 450 yards away from the Centre. Later the charges against Parker were dismissed. Parker suffered injuries to his shoulder, elbows and knees.

picture6mo.png
HT: WWP

Iknowtoomuch

Gold Meritorious Patron

Zinj

They didn't have permits for the correct day. The guards were not on property covered by the permits when the incident took place, even if they had been on the correct day. They didn't register with Metro PD, and they were in improper uniform. They yelled epithets, and they knocked the kid down while he was leaving in compliance with their "requests".

They also destroyed his property. (signs and mask) But not the main issue.

Jury trial? Oh, I hope I hope I hope!

I don't really see the 6 million dollar tag as a problem or unjust though I have my doubts as to whether he'll get that amount. The purpose of the trial is to punish the CoS, the officers involved, and Hayes Security which employed them. For that to be appropriate punishment, the figure has to be significant. The CoS has deep coffers, and Hayes has insurance for such things. The final figure needs to be large otherwise it would be a slap on the wrist.

That's what I said.

hartley

Patron with Honors
The purpose of the trial is to punish the CoS, the officers involved, and Hayes Security which employed them. For that to be appropriate punishment, the figure has to be significant. The CoS has deep coffers, and Hayes has insurance for such things. The final figure needs to be large otherwise it would be a slap on the wrist.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the article only mentions the Church being sued, not anyone else.

(edit) correcting myself - the TV news item says the suit is against the Church, the security company and the officers.

Last edited:

Cherished

Silver Meritorious Patron
The young man was also falsely charged after they arrested him outside the closed area, then took him over the barrier and inside the closed area. He was interrogated in front of a number of CoS staff and Hayes execs, including about whether or not he had taken drugs/alcohol.

I've seen allegations that lies were later told to the city council and police as well.

Brian Fesler told the tv reporter (on camera) that these Anons were guilty of death threats, bomb threats and anthrax hoaxes and were being taken seriously. But he was photographed before that in Minneapolis good-naturedly holding an anon sign that said "FAIL". He knew better.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
The fun part, if it goes to trial, will be the various defendants pointing fingers at each other. Church at Security Firm, them at the officers and everybody at everybody else.

Should make for some interesting testimony and hopefully some revealing discovery, including contracts and specific instructions.

Zinj

Cherished

The young man was also falsely charged after they arrested him outside the closed area, then took him over the barrier and inside the closed area. He was interrogated in front of a number of CoS staff and Hayes execs, including about whether or not he had taken drugs/alcohol.

I've seen allegations that lies were later told to the city council and police as well.

Brian Fesler told the tv reporter (on camera) that these Anons were guilty of death threats, bomb threats and anthrax hoaxes and were being taken seriously. But he was photographed before that in Minneapolis good-naturedly holding an anon sign that said "FAIL". He knew better.

Cherished

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
REPORTER: "What is the Church of Scientology's official position on the $6M lawsuit brought by the Nashville protester who was roughed up?"

TOMMY DAVIS: "We are the victims in this whole thing. We are totally confident and looking forward to the trial when all the evidence comes out. This is a simple case of entrapment by a terrorist."

REPORTER: "But the whole thing was caught on video!"

TOMMMY DAVIS: "Oh, well.....uhhh, in that case-- 'Not one thin dime for Thomas A. Parker'."

REPORTER: "That doesn't make any sense. It doesn't even rhyme!"

TOMMY DAVIS: (reaching for his microphone) "I am warning you right now, if you ask anything else that makes me look like a brainwashed moron I am going to end this interview!"

KnightVision

Gold Meritorious Patron
REPORTER: "What is the Church of Scientology's official position on the $6M lawsuit brought by the Nashville protester who was roughed up?"

TOMMY DAVIS: "We are the victims in this whole thing. We are totally confident and looking forward to the trial when all the evidence comes out. This is a simple case of entrapment by a terrorist."

REPORTER: "But the whole thing was caught on video!"

TOMMMY DAVIS: "Oh, well.....uhhh, in that case-- 'Not one thin dime for Thomas A. Parker'."

REPORTER: "That doesn't make any sense. It doesn't even rhyme!"

TOMMY DAVIS: (reaching for his microphone) "I am warning you right now, if you ask anything else that makes me look like a brainwashed moron I am going to end this interview!"

OK dude... you did me a good laugh! I owe you one! :thumbsup:
:dieslaughing: :dieslaughing: :dieslaughing: :dieslaughing: :dieslaughing: :dieslaughing: :dieslaughing: :dieslaughing: :dieslaughing: :dieslaughing: :dieslaughing:
:thumbsup: