What's new

Publication day for Cruise book

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
They also state that it has never been banned anywhere, ever. Well what on earth was the Anderson Inquiry?

From Wikipedia:

In 1965 the State of Victoria passed a law, the Psychological Practices Act, 1965, banning the use of the E-meter and teaching Scientology for money. Considering Scientology to be a form of psychology, it required anyone practising psychology to be registered with a newly established Victorian Psychological Council. However, since the Act's definition of psychology was broad enough to include the pastoral counselling traditionally done by priests and ministers of religion, any religious denomination recognised by the Australian government under the federal Marriage Act was exempted from its provisions. The Scientology organisation in Spring Street, Melbourne, closed in response to this law.
It would seem to be factually true that "the Church" was not banned in Australia, or even in the State of Victoria.

I know it was not banned in England. There was a ban on foreign students coming to England to do Scientology, however.

There have been legal actions in France, Germany and Spain, but as far as I know they have not included an outright national ban of "the Church".

Paul

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
It would seem to be factually true that "the Church" was not banned in Australia, or even in the State of Victoria.

I know it was not banned in England. There was a ban on foreign students coming to England to do Scientology, however.

There have been legal actions in France, Germany and Spain, but as far as I know they have not included an outright national ban of "the Church".

Paul

One of the things being done - on both sides - is taking quotes and re-wording them and then rebutting that re-wording, rather than the quote itself.

In the Church's doc, they do not provide the quote they are rebutting.

I'd like to see the actual quote from the book before I comment. Like you, Paul, I shun mindless drivel and am all about valuable content and laser-sharp precision of information.

Here's what the Church says in its rebuttal:

10. Claims by Morton to have engaged in “serious” or “extensive” research for his book are disingenuous.

As but one final example of the gross falsity of Morton’s book, in a single paragraph he cavalierly writes of the Church being banned in foreign countries such as England, Australia, France, Germany and Spain. This is entirely false. The Church is not and has never been banned in any of these countries or any nation anywhere. Any journalist getting it so wrong cannot use the excuse of ignorance. Claiming a Church is banned when it never occurred is not a “mistake.” It is an invention of fiction of the most horrible nature with the obvious intent of inciting hatred of an entire religion, leaving no doubt that Morton is a complete bigot.

Moreover, while Morton claims the sources for his book are somehow “insiders,” the fact is that they have not had any affiliation with the Church for 10 to 20 years. Not one of Morton’s alleged “sources” of information regarding the Church was ever in a position to observe Mr. Cruise’s activities in the Church, let alone interact with him.

Their “inside information” is no more and no less than tabloid innuendo based on nothing but imagination.

And, to reiterate, not once did he ever attempt to speak to or ask Mr. Miscavige about any of his allegations – even though Mr. Miscavige is a central figure to his book.

What excuse could Morton possibly have for his lack of objective research and journalism? Indeed, he doesn’t seem to have spoken to anyone who has spoken to, worked with or known Mr. Cruise for the last 25 years.

Kerry

Patron with Honors
This has probably been posted elsewhere, so, sorry in advance. I just got off the phone from Dymocks and from Angus & Robertson. I was told by one of their staff that Oz bookstores got a communication that if they are caught selling copies of Morton's book, Tom Cruise himself is going to sue, "because of false statements"; it wasn't Scientology who ws going to sue." That's right. I repeated those statements back to the salesperson, asked if that communication to the bookstores could be positively confirmed, and was told "yes, it can." Person thought it was disgusting, too. Had nice little chat. (Oh you know, about the weather, our love of books, surf conditions and such. :p .)

So Ems, I've finished Morton's biography of Cruise. You want me to loan it to you? Or have you managed to secure a copy through the many avenues available to us here.. :yes:

Colleen K. Peltomaa

Silver Meritorious Patron
Delusional is the operative word here. God, if he leaves, I wonder what the CofS will slam him with -- what's in his folder that they can use against him?