What's new

Question: Am I a Minister?

OutToe83

Patron with Honors
I was in another chat room recently when one of the members mentioned he was a minister. This was rather remarkable (meaning "worthy of remarks) given the nature of the chat room, which I won't get into, but it requires being at least 18 years of age to participate. Anyway, turns out that he was "ordained" by some non-conventional church in California who will basically ordain anybody for a fee and his minister-ship (if that's even a word) had been upheld in court.

Now my personal opinion about the legal status of ministers is that it shouldn't be up to our US of A government to recognize them or not, since our Constitution states that no religion shall be granted special privileges (paraphrased--I'm not going to look up the wording now), but if the State decides what is and isn't a religion, then those churches that are legally recognized as churches have the tax-exempt privilege that those not legally recognized are denied; and how is that not granting special privilege to State-favored religions?

But that's my personal opinion and political viewpoint, and the fact that we live with is that the USA does favor and recognize some religions, including the Church of Scientology. Right or wrong, they are legally a church and their ministers are legally recognized as ministers. So correct me if I'm wrong, but the CofS considers its auditors as ministers---is that right? So a Scientology or Dianetics auditor can officiate at a wedding and it will be legally binding--is that right?

Now I come to my real question: Back around '76-'77, I received my certificate and was officially recognized (by the church) as a Dianetics Auditor. That was, IIRC, around the time that some auditors were starting to wear clerical collars (in FCDC, anyway). Shortly after that, I did a Doubt Formula and "cycled out" of participation in any further courses or auditing, but I did technically do Dianetics auditing and....well, I never joined staff, so I didn't consider myself a "real" auditor...except that....

I distinctly remember reading an HCOPL (I think it was) that "posted" all Dianetics and Scientology grads as Field Staff Members. It wasn't legally binding and they couldn't order me to come in (not back then anyway) and do specific tasks, but Abby Bregman (sp?) once tried to use that HCOPL to push me to take on more volunteer tasks. I was one of the many non-staff volunteers that supported FCDC selling books, manning personality test tables for fresh meat, and generally doing grunt work in the office.

So technically, the CoS _did_ list me as "staff"--I was an FSM. And an auditor. And I've never been Declared nor formally renounced being a Scientologist.

So...am I technically a minister under the laws of the USA? Or do I have the necessary credentials (assuming I can dig up my Dianetics Auditor Certif) to register as a minister in some states?

Being serious, I know I'm probably not a Member in Good Standing with the Cherch, since I haven't paid them any money in half a lifetime, but _legally_ if a person is once "ordained"/certified as a minister, does he lose that ministership by not paying dues, or is it something that's permanent unless formally retracted by his/her church? I have heard cases of former ministers conducting legal weddings even though they hadn't participated in their ordaining church in decades. Who knows how that works, legally? Does the CoS itself have any requirements to maintain standing as a minister?

AngeloV

Gold Meritorious Patron
But that's my personal opinion and political viewpoint, and the fact that we live with is that the USA does favor and recognize some religions, including the Church of Scientology. Right or wrong, they are legally a church and their ministers are legally recognized as ministers. So correct me if I'm wrong, but the CofS considers its auditors as ministers---is that right? So a Scientology or Dianetics auditor can officiate at a wedding and it will be legally binding--is that right?

The thing that makes a marriage legally binding is the marriage certificate which has to be filed with the local government (like a county clerk) and placed in public records. WHO may file it varies greatly from state-to-state in the US.

Google shows that, for example, in California anyone can ask to be a 'Deputy Commissioner of Marriages' for a single day and legally officiate at a wedding (and file the certificate). So you can get your BFF to marry you.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Consider that the famous "Reverend" Al Sharpton, here in the US, never graduated from any theological seminary, nor does he have any actual congregation or church. Yet, he's still called "Reverend"

Sharpton was licensed and ordained a Pentecostal minister by Bishop F. D. Washington at the age of nine[118] or ten.[119] After Bishop Washington's death in the late 1980s, Sharpton became a Baptist. He was re-baptized as a member of the Bethany Baptist Church in 1994 by the Reverend William Jones[38] and became a Baptist minister.[118][120]

When I was at Flag in the early 80's, they put us all through the Minister's Course and gave us certs as being ordained ministers.

Coincidentally, this was pushed through as a crash program to get all SO staff ordained, shortly after President Jimmy Carter re-established Selective Service. (Ministers are exempt from military conscription)

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Google the Universal Life Church. I assumed my "minister" status got nuked when the cult declared me and cancelled my certs. When I was considered "merely" a freeloader I guess it was still valid, not that I made any use of it.

Anyway, back in 1999 I got ordained with the ULC for a small fee, after reading all their blurb about how the thing stands up in court. I've never performed a marriage ceremony on anyone, but anyway . . . .

Paul

exsomessenger

Patron Meritorious
Google the Universal Life Church. I assumed my "minister" status got nuked when the cult declared me and cancelled my certs. When I was considered "merely" a freeloader I guess it was still valid, not that I made any use of it.

Anyway, back in 1999 I got ordained with the ULC for a small fee, after reading all their blurb about how the thing stands up in court. I've never performed a marriage ceremony on anyone, but anyway . . . .

Paul

My Aussie Shepherd was also ordained from the ULC. Even got a cert.

Last edited:

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Consider that the famous "Reverend" Al Sharpton, here in the US, never graduated from any theological seminary, nor does he have any actual congregation or church. Yet, he's still called "Reverend"

When I was at Flag in the early 80's, they put us all through the Minister's Course and gave us certs as being ordained ministers.

Coincidentally, this was pushed through as a crash program to get all SO staff ordained, shortly after President Jimmy Carter re-established Selective Service. (Ministers are exempt from military conscription)

That was not a coincidence. I remember being R-factored that all Sea Org members needed to complete the Ministers Course and get ordained as a minister in order to support the position that we were a Church for tax exempt purposes AND that it was very important that Sea Org members should not be subject to the draft in order that they can work on clearing the planet. I think it was a GO project.

Of course, being ordained as opposed to just being a layperson would also establish an additional layer of protection against charges of abuse.

exsomessenger

Patron Meritorious
That was not a coincidence. I remember being R-factored that all Sea Org members needed to complete the Ministers Course and get ordained as a minister in order to support the position that we were a Church for tax exempt purposes AND that it was very important that Sea Org members should not be subject to the draft in order that they can work on clearing the planet. I think it was a GO project.

Of course, being ordained as opposed to just being a layperson would also establish an additional layer of protection against charges of abuse.

I remember this as well. There was a big push to get every member minister status. this was near the same time as all the vetting missions going on around the us. There used to be a few cargo tailors behind leb hall there full of writings that had been vetted but were being re-vetted to ensure if and when the irs came calling we would be squeaky clean. :yes:

OutToe83

Patron with Honors

Thanks for bringing that up, Enthetan. I knew that but forgot to include it in my post. Conscription isn't given a lot of thought in the USA nowadays, but it was a big deal for my generation, right into the 70s. I volunteered and served in the USAF, but I served with men who "volunteered" for the USAF rather than get drafted into the Army--that was the Vietnam era. As far as I know, nobody has ever done a study to determine how many men "volunteered" under duress of the draft. I was under the same duress, but in the time and place I grew up, it never occurred to me that I would do anything BUT serve a few years in uniform between high school and the rest of my life. Not any more than it occurred to most girls that they would choose not to get married and have children.

Most people I know aren't aware that, even today, failing to register for Selective Service before age 26 can carry serious consequences for men in this country. Technically, not registering within 30 days after turning 18 is a federal crime with possible prison time, but I don't know of anyone in the last few decades who's been prosecuted for it. However.......

If a male US Citizen fails to register before 26, he is then and forever barred from holding a federal government job. After age 25, he can't register, so he can't ever fix it.
An undocumented alien man (and most documented ones) living here who fails to register (yes, undocumented men are required to register. The SS Board doesn't share information with the Immigration people) before age 26 but was living in this country before that age, is forever barred from getting citizenship. "Amnesty" has nothing to do with Selective Service and doesn't obviate the requirement to register.

Men who go unregistered past their 26th birthday are not eligible for federal student loans. That could significantly affect futures too.

I'm not making a comprehensive list of the possible consequences here, just trying to convey the idea that aside from possible or improbable conscription, the legal requirement for males to register is a serious matter. Nobody at that age knows whether he'll one day want a government job or federal student loan or even want to join the military. (also barred--it's a federal government job.)

If any of you know any young men who are living here without documentation, you might want to pass that along. They can register and will not be reported to the Migra. you might even inquire of any men under 26---it is possible to just overlook registering, as little attention as it gets.

As Enthetan said, ministers exempt from conscription in this country (an injustice in my personal opinion). However, they do NOT exempt from registering for Selective Service. I don't actually know how registration is done these days--it used to be that "everybody knew" when a guy turned 18, he went down to the local Post Office and registered, but I gather that isn't how it is now. I've heard a few stories of young men past 18 being greeted at their door by the local sheriff who gave them a ride to the local post office (the alternative being a ride to the hoosegow), but not lately. How is it usually done now, anybody know?

So getting back to Scientology and Selective Service, I wonder how many young male members, citizens and immigrants alike, are being allowed to go unregistered because the Co$ has no concern for any future that doesn't have them being lifetime (and beyond) staff? ...on this planet.

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
Many years ago I got to know a Catholic Priest who left & married the gal he got preggers. He was still addressed as " Father Joe ". Curious, I asked why & he said although he left his Order where had lived " Once a Priest, always a Priest '.

Like so many others after becoming a dianetic auditor I HAD to the ministers course to become an ordained minister & wear the " collar ", period.

I question whether the Co$ EVER registered ANY of us as ministers ( Remember the part of the marriage ceremony " By the powers given to me by the State of ______ I now pronounce you man & wife ! "

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ? A marriage is ( well, can be ) both a legal AND a religious ceremony. ( I've done ceremonies where the couple wanted God left out of it & some that insisted God be mentioned a bunch of times ).

So, I'm really not sure ANY so called minister from the Co$ has ever been, legally, a minister - as in registered in the state where they were " ordained " OR practice.

As with Father Joe, walking away ( in our case - without expelled or declared ) one perhaps CAN consider themselves still a minister.

If the Co$ ever did register any minister then those of declared they'd have to go do the paperwork to take us off the rolls of legal ministers - which who can imagine them doing that ? ( Hell, even getting oneself deadfiled IN that group is a time consuming bitch ! - they ain't very good at records. )

On the other hand, I went online, paid 15 bucks for a lifetime plastic card that says I'm a minister in the Open Ministry. Legal ? Yep.

I still do weddings ( & get paid ). I have a minister friend who loves to do funerals but will NOT do a wadding.

I, on the other hand, love weddings & don't do funerals.

( I never cease to be amazed that couples will spend an immense amount of time planning & discussing the wedding & absolutely NO time planning or discussing their marriage. Sorry, that was WAY off topic ! )

Ah, but those rare couples who want to sit & earnestly talk about their upcoming marriage ? I love 'em !

Cliff notes : Buy a minister card online ( & cut the last tie to the Co$ for only 15 bucks ! )

Added : I guess in a way, this minister crap is a lot like being an auditor ( which I - at one time so long ago - was ). I don't own a hocus-pocus session additive e meter thingie-a-ma-do any more or use any wording of any 'process', but, I am a life coach for which I get paid & my little plastic minister card has also paid for more than a little very nice PTS-to-the-middle-class MEST items.

I think I discovered that anything scn claims to offer, well, I can find out in the WOG World, faster to do, cheaper priced, better quality - & no lifetime hook attached ! I don't even have to shaft my friends & family forever !

Last edited:

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
If you applied for and were registered with the IRS for exemption on having to pay self-employment taxes on earnings received as a minister, as many Scientology ministers were urged to do as staff or Sea Org, then you are still on record as a minister.

Some had to file with the local or state as a minister but oftentimes, many didn't or they were not required. The IRS accepted signed Scn Minister certs. All ministers were encouraged to file IRS form 4361 https://www.irs.gov/uac/about-form-4361 I know I helped org staff in NY file them when asked. I always made sure what they were doing when they signed it... its a big commitment to waive paying taxes into Social Security and Medicare on staff or others ministerial earnings if that is your only source of income ( as it is with Sea Org ) but most didn't care at time of signing.

If you ever were granted the rights by any government entity in order to be allowed to perform marriages, etc, as a minister, then you are still registered as one. A valid minister. A right to preform marriages is one example.

Scientology can't take away your rights to perform ministerial. Dennis Erlich used his Scn Minister cert and credentials many years ago to start his Informer Ministry nonprofit religious org ( unrelated to ministering for Scientology) and now uses it to help victims of any and all cults by providing weed as one of his counseling tools

I Used to Be a Scientologist, Now I Help People Out of Cults by Smoking Weed
http://www.vice.com/read/i-used-to-be-a-scientologist-now-i-help-people-out-of-cults-by-smoking-weed

Lots of history and inter-critic aguments and conflicts ( not to be dragged into this thread here please ) occurred years earlier but for the most part, things settled down and Dennis went his way to create his weed company or whatever it i he is licensed for down there, and to use weed to help victims of cults. I only bring this up because he did it all on a Minister's certificate from Scientology and an IRS form most ministers filed. Despite Scientology's attempts they were unable to get his license to perform cancelled once he left Links to keyword Erlich+scientology+minister+informer
https://www.google.com/#q=erlich+scientology+minister+informer

I gather you ere in DC area when you got certed. Did you eve perform a marriage ceremony?

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron
I was in another chat room recently when one of the members mentioned he was a minister. This was rather remarkable (meaning "worthy of remarks) given the nature of the chat room, which I won't get into, but it requires being at least 18 years of age to participate. Anyway, turns out that he was "ordained" by some non-conventional church in California who will basically ordain anybody for a fee and his minister-ship (if that's even a word) had been upheld in court.

Now my personal opinion about the legal status of ministers is that it shouldn't be up to our US of A government to recognize them or not, since our Constitution states that no religion shall be granted special privileges (paraphrased--I'm not going to look up the wording now), but if the State decides what is and isn't a religion, then those churches that are legally recognized as churches have the tax-exempt privilege that those not legally recognized are denied; and how is that not granting special privilege to State-favored religions?

Now I come to my real question: Back around '76-'77, I received my certificate and was officially recognized (by the church) as a Dianetics Auditor. That was, IIRC, around the time that some auditors were starting to wear clerical collars (in FCDC, anyway). Shortly after that, I did a Doubt Formula and "cycled out" of participation in any further courses or auditing, but I did technically do Dianetics auditing and....well, I never joined staff, so I didn't consider myself a "real" auditor...except that....

I distinctly remember reading an HCOPL (I think it was) that "posted" all Dianetics and Scientology grads as Field Staff Members. It wasn't legally binding and they couldn't order me to come in (not back then anyway) and do specific tasks, but Abby Bregman (sp?) once tried to use that HCOPL to push me to take on more volunteer tasks. I was one of the many non-staff volunteers that supported FCDC selling books, manning personality test tables for fresh meat, and generally doing grunt work in the office.

So technically, the CoS _did_ list me as "staff"--I was an FSM. And an auditor. And I've never been Declared nor formally renounced being a Scientologist.

So...am I technically a minister under the laws of the USA? Or do I have the necessary credentials (assuming I can dig up my Dianetics Auditor Certif) to register as a minister in some states?

Being serious, I know I'm probably not a Member in Good Standing with the Cherch, since I haven't paid them any money in half a lifetime, but _legally_ if a person is once "ordained"/certified as a minister, does he lose that ministership by not paying dues, or is it something that's permanent unless formally retracted by his/her church? I have heard cases of former ministers conducting legal weddings even though they hadn't participated in their ordaining church in decades. Who knows how that works, legally? Does the CoS itself have any requirements to maintain standing as a minister?

No - you are not a Minister.

The con man L Ron Hubbard ran a snake oil sales con job on all of us.

Any credentials you got from the criminal fat fuck means nothing.

If you want to believe you are a minister - you can. One can also believe they are CLEAR and Oat Tea.:whistling:

Up to you!

If anyone was married by a Scientology minister - I am afraid it means nothing to most people.

Legally you may be married because you received proper paperwork...but Scientology is not a church nor does it provide religious services.

It is a scam of epic proportions.

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
No - you are not a Minister.

The con man L Ron Hubbard ran a snake oil sales con job on all of us.

Any credentials you got from the criminal fat fuck means nothing.

If you want to believe you are a minister - you can. One can also believe they are CLEAR and Oat Tea.:whistling:

Up to you!

If anyone was married by a Scientology minister - I am afraid it means nothing to most people.

Legally you may be married because you received proper paperwork...but Scientology is not a church nor does it provide religious services.

It is a scam of epic proportions.

I'd beg to differ with you as IF you did a California Confidential Marriage per the terms of the law back then ( slightly different now ) & FILED with the County Clerk. Oh HELL YES that IS a LEGAL marriage in the eyes of the state of California.

( See, back in the day the confidential thingies did NOT require a blood test as a regular marriage license did back then - so it was down & dirty fast PLUS cheaper for an SO member. nevermind SO members ran to Mexico to get a quicky divorce {{{ no one bothered to clue them in that a Mexican divorce AIN"T LEGAL so there next marriage(S) AIN'T legal either ! }}}. ) Oh dear oh dear the woes we created !

As long as US Govt via the IRS allows scn as a religion it IS a legal religion - never mind that it is all a BS scam.

For those of us in the belt & suspenders that also got a 15 buck online minister plastic card ? My lawyer cost me more than 15 bucks to tell me I was a legal minister.

Were someone to offer to pay me $10,000 for my scn minister cert, I couldn't find it. Hell, I even did a Sunday Sermon to make it a PERMANT cert just like an internsghip !

Now, to argue, what if like many many many many ministers in the US today just say they " Got the calling from God to minister ", I say GOD TOLD ME TO MINISTER.

Die hard religionists claim God's law is above man's law . . . . . . . . so there ya go . . . . . . . . . . . . . . God done gone & told me to be a minister HALLUEAH !

I AM a minster !

These waters are murky - even when I post tongue in cheek !

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'd beg to differ with you as IF you did a California Confidential Marriage per the terms of the law back then ( slightly different now ) & FILED with the County Clerk. Oh HELL YES that IS a LEGAL marriage in the eyes of the state of California.

( See, back in the day the confidential thingies did NOT require a blood test as a regular marriage license did back then - so it was down & dirty fast PLUS cheaper for an SO member. nevermind SO members ran to Mexico to get a quicky divorce {{{ no one bothered to clue them in that a Mexican divorce AIN"T LEGAL so there next marriage(S) AIN'T legal either ! }}}. ) Oh dear oh dear the woes we created !

As long as US Govt via the IRS allows scn as a religion it IS a legal religion - never mind that it is all a BS scam.

For those of us in the belt & suspenders that also got a 15 buck online minister plastic card ? My lawyer cost me more than 15 bucks to tell me I was a legal minister.

Were someone to offer to pay me $10,000 for my scn minister cert, I couldn't find it. Hell, I even did a Sunday Sermon to make it a PERMANT cert just like an internsghip !

Now, to argue, what if like many many many many ministers in the US today just say they " Got the calling from God to minister ", I say GOD TOLD ME TO MINISTER.

Die hard religionists claim God's law is above man's law . . . . . . . . so there ya go . . . . . . . . . . . . . . God done gone & told me to be a minister HALLUEAH !

I AM a minster !

These waters are murky - even when I post tongue in cheek !

For those ex scientologist's who believe they are minister's, auditor's, something of value to society - get over it.

One can justify your "minister" ness all you want - I am not going to argue with anyone.

You are not a real minister that can take care of someone spiritually or otherwise - if you have been ordained by the Church of Scamontology!

But -please feel free to believe you are a minister if it makes you feel better....:whistling:

One would not have to ask if you really were.:eyeroll:

You are not a minister...you are a victim of a terrible scam.:yes:

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
Those ''minister'' titles and status are one of the most laughable thing in $cientology

We all know it's for tax exemptions and human trafficking (through the borders) purposes
We were all ministers...

Really...

Think about the OSA dir of your org!\area
now let's think abou how the OSA dir enforced ""cult'' OSA ritual on people
Think about when you were given your ESPEE baptism
Think about the infinite love, compassion and Kindness ot those guys

And think about they call themselve ''reverend''

A laughing stock
Reverend '' your beloved Dir OSA'' , minister of the cult!

Peace with you brother and sisters, ministers of the thetaness!

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
It may all seem stupid, laughable or reprehensible, but that is not the point of this thread. What anyone does with a scientology minister's cert, I personally could care less. I know I never became one officially because i was one of the earlier Volunteer Ministers and it as different back then.

I understand why OutToe asked. A minister licensed by any registered religion at one time, is a minister. A registered Minister o officiant is different. If one has been licensed and registered in a certain locale in the past, that is all that would matter. He just wanted to know if he was still one because he was declared. This is not an uncommon question for those who at one time trained and got their cert while in Scientology. Keep in mind that some who actually used the cert and performed services under it did so most likely because they because they felt they were helping at the time... I don't regret things I did in the name of helping others as I saw it at the time. I only regret how fooled we were...my ignorance and misguided devotion. I just see it as a valid question, and am providing facts in the event someone is inclined to do ministerial acts for others out of their own faith or beliefs; or officiate weddings or funerals if they feel a calling to that. Use the old certification to one's advantage. The cult would hate that. They sure did when Erlich was using hi to minister with weed, LOL

However, if an ex wanted to perform wedding service and marry a couple in a non-religious ceremony, for example, and they did perform marriages in the past in that area of the country or state they are in now, then in all probability they are registered and able to continue to be a minister for official purposes. its easy to check if one already registered, or if not. And it's just as easy to register if one has one's certificate or any written acknowledgement of acceptance by the IRS that one has filed IRS tax 4691 or whatever form # it is I posted before for tax exemption as a minister. One as well, does not need a minister;s cet to be an officiant at a wedding. Just depends on the regs in your state of local government.

This article should be helpful for anyone interested in performing a wedding, for example..

How To Get Ordained To Perform A Wedding Legally — Because This Is One Thing You Don't Want To Mess Up By Caitlin Frauton Bustle.com
Jun 23 2015
https://www.bustle.com/articles/918...wedding-legally-because-this-is-one-thing-you

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
It may all seem stupid, laughable or reprehensible, but that is not the point of this thread. What anyone does with a scientology minister's cert, I personally could care less. I know I never became one officially because i was one of the earlier Volunteer Ministers and it as different back then.

I understand why OutToe asked.

My bad
I didn't read the op before replying!

Important question that deserves proper replies! :wink2:

Last edited:

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

I remember this as well. There was a big push to get every member minister status.......

I remember that too.

The moment I was "r-factored" that I needed to immediately route onto the "Minister's Course", I was stunned for a speechless few moments. And then, something exploded in my head. It was a crystal clear voice that screamed: "FUCK THAT!"

Later, when I was further up the Bridge, I discovered that it was a BT.

Later still, long after I had blown from Scientology, I discovered that the voice was my mind talking to me. The entire conversation went something like this. . .

MIND
FUCK THAT!

ME
Pardon me?

MIND
You heard me. Are you stupid?

ME
What do you mean exactly?

MIND
OMG! The stupid minister's course. LOL. I can't believe
you are even thinking of goin on a scam course to
become a scam minister for a scam guru!

ME
Actually I'm not planning on it. But you screamed
"FUCK THAT!" so fast I didn't even get a chance
to respond.

MIND
So you're not planning on routing onto the Minster's Course?

ME
LOLOLOL No! Don't you know me?

MIND
Yeah, okay. But for a moment there
you were scaring me.

ME
Okay. So, let me ask you a question. If I blow
the S.O. and Scientology, are you coming with me?

MIND
Hell Yeah! When are we splittin' dude?

ME
I don't know. You're my mind--what do you think?

MIND
I think we get the hell out of here soon so we can start
making more than 10 cents an hour, buy a cool car and
meet some non-sea-org chicks that don't look like enturbulated
1961 communist bloc Romanian nuns with clipboards.

I had no idea that conversation was going to end with 'communist nuns with clipboards'. It appears my mind has sustained permanent damage from scientology. LOL