Question: Leaving Sea Org vs. Leaving Monastic Life

HollywoodGuy

Patron with Honors
So, I have a question, how does the Catholic Church treat ex-nuns/monks who quit their monastic life compared to how Scientology treats staff leaving the Sea Org?

Does anybody know if ex-nuns/ex-monks get some kind of pension to live off of (depending on how many years they lived a monastic life)?

I'd be curious to see how Scientology compares with Catholicism or some other monastic groups on how they help their ex-clergy exit into the regular world.

Although, I certainly believe that nuns aren't made to work nearly as hard or deprived of as much sleep as Sea Org staff are.

I think if I worked at one of those monasteries that makes really good beer, I would likely stay. :thumbsup: Maybe that is the solution, the sea org needs to start brewing beer. :no:

Intentionally Blank

Scientology Widow
So, I have a question, how does the Catholic Church treat ex-nuns/monks who quit their monastic life compared to how Scientology treats staff leaving the Sea Org?

Does anybody know if ex-nuns/ex-monks get some kind of pension to live off of (depending on how many years they lived a monastic life)?

I'd be curious to see how Scientology compares with Catholicism or some other monastic groups on how they help their ex-clergy exit into the regular world.

Although, I certainly believe that nuns aren't made to work nearly as hard or deprived of as much sleep as Sea Org staff are.

Only a minute for a quick google check and I didn't see anything about pensions. This article, however, is interesting especially in that it quotes and links to official figures and reasons for clergy leaving religious life. It seems the catholics don't have the same need to hide and lie about people who choose a different life path or why they do so.

Blanky

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron
True life story of a priest who left monastic life after many many years of service to the Catholic church:

He was assisted in every way to integrate back into society. Suitable housing was provided for him. The congregation embraced him to help with his transition. i.e. invites to join in family picnics/meals, etc. It was recognised that it was a huge change for him to leave monastic life and people really stepped up to ease that. Also there was a lot of gratitude for all the years he had given as a priest.

The transition was carefully planned out over a period of time (about one year if I remember rightly). The priest was treated with dignity and grace all the way by both the church and its members. It was almost considered an honour to have him over for dinner at your place.

I do not know about financial stuff but when I met him he was doing well in life.

HollywoodGuy

Patron with Honors
I don't want to say too much, but I'm financially involved with some ex-Sea Org members who are still loyal to Miscavige.

When they left the Sea Org, the prime of their life was over, they had no professional work history, no educational degrees, they weren't even qualified to work at Target! One of them even got fired while working for a Scientologist run company. If it weren't for the opportunities provided by my family, they would have had NOTHING (at least until a rich relative died).

In their business, they have employed (and supported) some other ex-Sea Org staff.

From what I observe, while the Church does try to stay involved in helping ex-Sea Org members exit out smoothly (I'm talking more specifically about staff members having to leave due to medical problems), like making sure they have a job and a place to live (I'm not even sure how consistent this is across the board), it's as if they expect the other Scientologists to take up the slack. Although, for one particular individual who had a serious medical condition, at least they have been paying for her living expenses the last few years. How long they'll continue to do that, I don't know.

One Scientologist naively said, "If L. Ron Hubbard had lived longer, he would have set something up like a pension for people retiring from the Sea Org The reason he didn't do that originally was because you're supposed to be in the Sea Org for life."

Kemist

Patron with Honors

I was told by an old prof that in the 60s there was massive defrocking among nuns, as in those years university finally became accessible to women - before this, many women would choose to become nuns exclusively in order to have access to higher education.

When that happened the nuns who chose to leave their convent were supported by their communities during their college studies. Support included tuition, lodging and food.

Leland

Crusader
I was told by an old prof that in the 60s there was massive defrocking among nuns, as in those years university finally became accessible to women - before this, many women would choose to become nuns exclusively in order to have access to higher education.

When that happened the nuns who chose to leave their convent were supported by their communities during their college studies. Support included tuition, lodging and food.

This and some other stories here are so amazing....(about Christian sects supporting some that have left a monastic life)

I am impressed.

Quite different from what happens to scientologists that leave....

Kemist

Patron with Honors
The main difference between Sea Org and nuns and monks communities IMO is that those communities are the owners of their own infrastructure and completely manage their revenue however they see fit, whereas that is not the case for SO.

The Vatican has nothing to say in how these communities are run. There is no Catholic "admin tech". As opposed to SO members, nuns and monks also maintain contact with the outside world through the activities they use to generate revenue. Before our school system was modernised, a lot of nuns were school teachers. A bit far back they often ran hospitals and sanitariums (the place you sent someone suffering from tuberculosis). A silent monk community where I live has an orchard they use to produce apple cider. Jesuits also helped found our university and were reknown worldwide for their participation in scientific research, sometimes in direct opposition to Vatican leadership. Priests get a high level of education. Nuns and monks also have an opportunity to do so. That kind of thing is completely impossible for micromanaged SO communities.

Another advantage of being financially independant from the Vatican is that lately, since the communities are getting older and very few people chose monastic life anymore, some have sold their assets and invested the money to take care of themselves in their old age.