Re: Sea org member Dave Johnson-RIP

Lynn Fountain Campbell

Silver Meritorious Patron
There was another person you may be referring to, which was the husband of Pamela Lancaster-Johnson. I don't know the circumstances of her husbands death. I do know it occured. Around 91 or 92.

That was Leo Johnson, and his death was a bit later, IIRC. I remember giving him a haircut some time after 1993. He had by then gotten to the stage where he needed an "attendant," who brought him over to the shop for his haircut.

Lynn

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
maybe Dave and Linda were routed out. I don't know. I think I heard about it from my husband of the time. I do know they died the same day. Sorry I don't have other information.

Smitty

comment to Bea Kiddo

sorry don't have any more information. Only that they both died of natural causes on the same day. Anyone else remember this?

Bea, what do you think is the probability that two people would die "of natural causes" on the same day? Does it seem likely?
I think that such an event is extremely suspicious.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Bea, what do you think is the probability that two people would die "of natural causes" on the same day? Does it seem likely?
I think that such an event is extremely suspicious.

Not necessarily. Two people who were deeply attached to each other, both of them not in good shape physically, one dying of cancer in a predictable fashion (I simply mean that "everyone" knew roughly when he was likely to drop it), and both convinced that death is no permanent state. Why bother to hang around and suffer even more? Maybe they had a pact to go as closely together as possible. Maybe Linda was expecting to go first and was surprised she outlasted Dave. Who knows?

Anyway, I would expect the coroner to have been suspicious and done his due diligence as it IS unusual. But I don't see why the CofS would even have wanted to have been involved, juicy as it might be to have had them be so. We're not talking about vociferous critics here.

Paul

Woggin' out

Patron with Honors
That point well taken DullOldFart. They really did care for one another from what I observed. Perhaps Linda decided that w/ out Dave (or the "Church" for support) why stick around ? Thanx for the responses by the way.

Smitty

comment to Dulloldfart

Not necessarily. Two people who were deeply attached to each other, both of them not in good shape physically, one dying of cancer in a predictable fashion (I simply mean that "everyone" knew roughly when he was likely to drop it), and both convinced that death is no permanent state. Why bother to hang around and suffer even more? Maybe they had a pact to go as closely together as possible. Maybe Linda was expecting to go first and was surprised she outlasted Dave. Who knows?
Paul

Paul, you have woven quite a web of speculation here. You ask, "Who knows?"
I say that we should know the facts. In the meantime, I will use your post to fertilize my garden. It is cheaper than manure.

I am very sorry to hear this news. I knew them both. If anyone has any more information, could you please post it.

So much for SO medical coverage.

Leo Johnson had Alzheimer's, btw. His passing is sad too, but at least he was old.

Dave and Linda died too young.

HSSC

Patron
I barely knew Dave but I knew very well Linda who was my supervisor at NWC in the late 80's when I was training for senior sec checking and rollback.At the time I was only 16 and she was like a mother to me,an incredibly sweet person.

PS Paul you MUST remeber me! :p

billheichert

Patron with Honors
Dave Johnson

too bad about Dave. he was a nice guy. he audited me at CCI and we were in the HGC together when i did my clIV internship...I know of way too many scn who have died of brain cancer....disportionate to any other group.
i guess that's an outpoint, right?

thetanic

Gold Meritorious Patron
Well, if they died in the US and the death was recorded, then they'd likely be in the SSDI (Social Security Death Index) which is online here.

Unfortunately, there's more than 3,000 David Johnsons and more than 600 Linda Johnsons. It's a simple matter of slogging through all the data, but a more precise date and location would make it simpler.

cascrown

Dave and Linda Johnson were my uncle and aunt. We were lucky enough to spend time with them in the last two years of their lives. My unlce was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer and was in hospice care. Two weeks before he passed, Linda passed away from complications of diabetes.

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
Welcome to ESMB Cascrown

My belated condolences and thank you very much for giving us the full information about Dave and Linda.:rose:

Dave and Linda Johnson were my uncle and aunt. We were lucky enough to spend time with them in the last two years of their lives. My unlce was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer and was in hospice care. Two weeks before he passed, Linda passed away from complications of diabetes.

LA SCN

NOT drinking the kool-aid

I worked in Div 6 at CCInt from 1984 to 1991 and knew Dave in the late 80's and early 90's. He was used as a Chaplain then and my senior Sarah Gualtieri used him a lot to handle cycles for her.

He was a great guy, I enjoyed his company immensely. Sarah used to have to chide us to knock off the chit chat and get to work when we were doing admin in the same office. We had a lot of laughs.

He once took me across the street from CCI to meet a friend of his who was living at the Shangra La apts and working on some sort of hush hush project for the church. Dave and I had been talking about 'OT' phenomena and he wanted me to meet this friend because his friend had been on the ship with Hubbard and he and Hubbard had been on the fantail of the ship one night doing one thing and another and the mest universe had disappeared for them both! Dave had wanted me to get the story first hand from his friend. What a trip.

Dave had that beingness and understanding that the early ots had from ot levels and training; knowing guys like him enriched my experience during those times and made it bearable through the insanity.

To his memory :cheers2: