Recent news from Flag

RolandRB

Rest in Peace
You are telling me I'm too cynical? Lol! Yes I agree the point is to make money but I have to ask the question why? The guy's got more money than God, why more? And so many are driven to collapse and no further involvement in the church, how does that help? At this point I don't think anyone in the world could give a rational explanation for this behavior as I don't think there is one. You can talk about Elron all you want but dm has obviously totally lost it.

DM's stats are forever upwards. And when he moves off the point of power (and lets Marty take over) he has all the secret bank accounts he needs and he gets to go live in Bulgravia and bribe the police.

Student of Trinity

Silver Meritorious Patron
Because the desired mental state is so terribly fragile.

It cannot stand up to too much of people getting up and saying "Hey! The emperor has no clothes!".

Huh — of course. I had kind of wondered why, according to Scientology itself, the gains of Scientology were so fragile, and liable to be destroyed by all kinds of slight influences.

I had assumed that it was just because the wondrous states of Clear and OT don't exist, so the Church has to come up with a million excuses for why people don't truly attain them as advertised, and this amounts to making case gain a fragile thing, because it can be disrupted by all kinds of small effects. This produces the paranoia that makes people accept disconnection.

But it's obvious, now that Entheta has said it, that Scientologists don't have to be consciously implementing that cynical strategy. They can follow it instinctively and unconsciously, because the fragility of the fictitious Scientology spiritual states is exactly like the fragility of the real mental state of belief in Scientology.

It's not true after all that Scientology has no genuine products. Its product is belief in Scientology. That's a real thing, real enough to transform people's lives, though not necessarily for the better. But it's a fragile product.

RolandRB

Rest in Peace
Huh — of course. I had kind of wondered why, according to Scientology itself, the gains of Scientology were so fragile, and liable to be destroyed by all kinds of slight influences.

I had assumed that it was just because the wondrous states of Clear and OT don't exist, so the Church has to come up with a million excuses for why people don't truly attain them as advertised, and this amounts to making case gain a fragile thing, because it can be disrupted by all kinds of small effects. This produces the paranoia that makes people accept disconnection.

But it's obvious, now that Entheta has said it, that Scientologists don't have to be consciously implementing that cynical strategy. They can follow it instinctively and unconsciously, because the fragility of the fictitious Scientology spiritual states is exactly like the fragility of the real mental state of belief in Scientology.

It's not true after all that Scientology has no genuine products. Its product is belief in Scientology. That's a real thing, real enough to transform people's lives, though not necessarily for the better. But it's a fragile product.

The end product of Scientology is MORE Scientology.

RebtGenius

Patron with Honors
Greetings AD,

I want to commend you on a very insightful post. I've studied cognitive psychology and have read many studies on cognitive dissonance theory, which predicts precisely this behavior. The ability of humans to rationalize seemingly irrational behavior is simply astounding.

Anyway, cognitive dissonance refers to an uncomfortable feeling or tension that results when we simultaneously hold two contradictory thoughts. For example, imagine that you bought a new Lexus for $70,000 and noticed that the seat had terrible lumbar support and poor ride comfort. You would be stuck with two competing thoughts. First, I bought an expensive luxury car, which should be comfortable. Second, this car doesn't meet my expectations for comfort. To resolve this dissonance, you might focus on the car's other attributes, such as its acceleration, safety record, leather interior, radio, navigation system, etc. It would be very hard to accept, for most people, that they spent $70,000 on a product with major defects. One could return the car, but this is much more difficult than changing their beliefs. Incidentally, CD theory predicts that individuals will typically modify their thoughts instead of their behaviors because it requires less effort. In this case, the consumer is rationalizing away his behavior by adding consonant beliefs (these are new beliefs that change the balance between the two contradictory beliefs).

So, Scientology uses high price tags in a crafty way to manipulate people into spending massive amounts of money on services. Once the dupe has taken the bait, the opportunity cost of admitting one's stupidity is incredibly high. And they have added an interesting little twist by creating the appearance of being the sole providers of spiritual freedom. Admitting one is wrong could trash one's eternity! The e-meter and sec checking are a fabulous means of increasing the social and economic costs of dissent. Additionally, new donations are linked to old donations in an insidious way. Since you've already invested so much money, to say 'enough is enough' would involve admitting one's previous donations were excessive.

Jeffrey

The more people pay the harder it is for them to speak up because they know they will look like an ass proportionately to what they have paid. It's easier to go with the flow and keep your mouth shut.

So the regging is ruthless to extort that security from the public.

What is amazing is just how much money it takes to "wake up"... as well as how much time in does it take to "wake up". It was like the more you paid the "better" you were or the longer you were in the "better" you were. Scientology's own caste system. ##%^*%@##[email protected]!!!!!!

anonyvix

Patron
... The "beast" is losing the lifeblood in its limbs, if that makes sense.
It does actually. The "beast" is sucking everything in to protect the central organs just as what happens when a body suffers from hypothermia (replace cold with lack of income).

It's all part of the plan...

Should be noted the "beast" still has huge cash reserves, $000's millions, do not expect a quick death.

anonyvix

Patron
You are telling me I'm too cynical? Lol! Yes I agree the point is to make money but I have to ask the question why? The guy's got more money than God, why more? And so many are driven to collapse and no further involvement in the church, how does that help? At this point I don't think anyone in the world could give a rational explanation for this behavior as I don't think there is one. You can talk about Elron all you want but dm has obviously totally lost it.

L Ron Hubbard totally lost it too, he became trapped in his own creation and lost the plot completely.

The tiny terror David Miscavige is a product of scientology and he too has lost it. You have to ask the question why make more money but the question does not occur to Miscavige for reasons that he'll never figure out and it will be his undoing.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster

DM doesn't have the money. The money belongs to the Church. DM needs to figure out ways to get that money transferred to his personal possession without being guilty of inurement, but that takes time to accomplish.

Also, I'm not sure DM is into money as much as POWER, the power to make people clean the floor in his path with their tongues if he so orders. I think he's addicted to the power he has over people, and being able to use it to humiliate and destroy whoever he wants. I think he likes the game.

RolandRB

Rest in Peace
DM doesn't have the money. The money belongs to the Church. DM needs to figure out ways to get that money transferred to his personal possession without being guilty of inurement, but that takes time to accomplish.

Also, I'm not sure DM is into money as much as POWER, the power to make people clean the floor in his path with their tongues if he so orders. I think he's addicted to the power he has over people, and being able to use it to humiliate and destroy whoever he wants. I think he likes the game.

As I have written here before - I would rather shake hands with Adolf Hitler than shake the hand of David Miscavige.

Smilla

Ordinary Human
DM's stats are forever upwards. And when he moves off the point of power (and lets Marty take over) he has all the secret bank accounts he needs and he gets to go live in Bulgravia and bribe the police.

The biggest mistake that DM has made is to use the stick all the time and forget about the carrot. That's what's causing so many people to wake up. Marty is using the carrot, and happy that DM is using the stick.

AnonKat

Crusader
The biggest mistake that DM has made is to use the stick all the time and forget about the carrot. That's what's causing so many people to wake up. Marty is using the carrot, and happy that DM is using the stick.

IAS bank accounts are not secret and you can get your money back from IAS

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
It does actually. The "beast" is sucking everything in to protect the central organs just as what happens when a body suffers from hypothermia (replace cold with lack of income).

It's all part of the plan...

Should be noted the "beast" still has huge cash reserves, $000's millions, do not expect a quick death.

I'm not sure what the state of cash reserves are. Things have been contracting, with lack of new public (and lack of trained auditors to service them). Revenues are down. Meanwhile, DM has HUGE expenses paying lawyers and lots of expensive Private Investigators. He needs to keep doing that in order to keep his remaining field in line.

Scientology is a brittle structure. It cannot afford to have people asking questions, must maintain a climate of fear, and must take off the lines anybody who cannot be cowed. At some point, when it becomes impossible to ignore that expenses are greater than revenues, and the probability of it being fixable becomes impossibly low, DM will be at a point where he may decide to exit with what funds he can.

Thrak

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'm not sure what the state of cash reserves are. Things have been contracting, with lack of new public (and lack of trained auditors to service them). Revenues are down. Meanwhile, DM has HUGE expenses paying lawyers and lots of expensive Private Investigators. He needs to keep doing that in order to keep his remaining field in line.

Scientology is a brittle structure. It cannot afford to have people asking questions, must maintain a climate of fear, and must take off the lines anybody who cannot be cowed. At some point, when it becomes impossible to ignore that expenses are greater than revenues, and the probability of it being fixable becomes impossibly low, DM will be at a point where he may decide to exit with what funds he can.

Yeah I wonder about the constant push for money and I guess a big part of it is that dm has lied himself severely into a corner. He has to demonstrate expansion and the only possible way to do it at this time is with new buildings even if those same buildings are vacant as soon as the cameras leave. Income has to be way down from regular services so the only way is to keep milking the faithful using coercion and threats. At some point though people just won't buy it anymore but it's hard to say how it will end. I seriously think dm does not have the option of being honest with himself or anyone else at this point.