What's new

Recruiting Posters for Church of Scientology Harlem

GoNuclear

Gold Meritorious Patron
:angry:

The backstory: Every so often I become fascinated with a subject and research it to death and that was what happened to me this summer with SCN. Going beyond all the old history, I find Scientology's pivot toward people of color interesting and a good indication of where they see upcoming growth. As a POC, I was fully prepared to join the critic movement but I was completely turned off by the casual racism that's allowed to flourish unchallenged. From Tory to posters here on ESMB like I quoted above to WWP, this is abhorrent. Interestingly, the only person who showed evolved views on POC was Marty Rathbun (I enjoy his musings on Malcolm X).

More specifically - NO ONE sees that the quote above is completely ludicrous and extremely racist??? The fact that someone feels comfortable posting such a comment on this board should give you ALL a long self-relective pause.

GoNuclear/Peter, It is truly UNBELIEVABLE to me that someone would make a blanket comment like this about Harlem given it's long and glorious contributions to culture. From its founding to the Harlem Renaissance to present day the area has served as a refuge for people of all socio-economic backgrounds from creatives (Zora Neal Hurston, Duke Ellington, Langston Hughes to present day Thelma Golden, Al Pacino, Marcus Samuelson ) to politics (Adam Clayton Powell to Bill Clinton) to academics (Schlomburg Center to Columbia University) to general culture (the Apollo) and on and on. Despite bad press and hard times for too many residents, Harlem is a mixed, diverse community and has always had a robust middle class. Harlem, just like the rest of NYC, is most definitely on the upswing, which is why SCN is coming onboard

Culture shmulture. When I penned/QWERTYboarded that out into the wilds of cyberspace, I was thinking about the constant traffic noise, oinksters, rediculous taxes, constant hassles over cheap shit like walking your dog, homeless fighting over subway steam grates, etc. Add to that the widely held belief, whether true or false, that Harlem is one of the least desireable places to be within that urban cesspit and not wanting to live there is a reasonable point of view, plain and simple.

Regardless, it's an honor to have gotten your cherry post here on ESMB, welcome aboard.

Pete

Seriously?

RACIST/PROVINCIAL GIBBERISH widely held belief, whether true or false, that Harlem is one of the least desireable places RACIST PROVINCIAL GIBBERISH

Pete

Ahh, I see what I'm dealing with now. Just a tip, look up anecdotal vs empirical and learn the difference. And take a gander at the US Census Bureau info while you're at it.

To The Anabaptist Jacques, WRONG. Try again. And this time, read what White Rabbit said. I'll just add that he didn't say "I don't want to live in Alaska, I can't imagine anyone wanting to live there." He said "I can't imagine anyone wanting to live there, black or white" which is entirely different. In context and coupled with the other comments, yes racist. And with the additional attempt at rebutting my post, I'll also add obviously ignorant and startlingly provincial.

WhiteRabbit, thanks for the backup and BunnySkull, thanks for the context. How sad, but edifying, to hear that. I've lurked here for 6 months now and I couldn't figure out why the most exciting thing in SCN IMO (the foray into the developing world/POC communities) got so little play here, now I get it.
As Janet Reitman summarized in her book, SCN has very adroitly evolved - from 50's tech to 60/70's counter-culture to 80's/90 self-improvement to aughties/present day living your best life/new normal. In the fall, I began to bring up SCN and the things I'd discovered with friends, most of whom are well-rounded, and their only knowledge about it was the celebrity angle (just like most people). However, since SCN is so mutable (WISE, Narconon) and initially appealing, their unfamiliarity could be exploited. Im particularly interested in the uptick in Asian outreach and the educational appeal. Some background - I'm a 1st generation American and a teacher so I can see the educational appeal playing particularly well to overwhelmed parents or people in my developing world home country, where there are limited educational choices and opportunities for large profits. Do you know of anywhere, since this message board doesn't seem to be the place, where these issues are discussed? If so, please share. Thank you.

Last edited:

Random guy

Patron with Honors
Do you know of anywhere, since this message board doesn't seem to be the place, where these issues are discussed? If so, please share. Thank you.

You could try over at https://whyweprotest.net/community/ , the Anonymous hangout. The greatest problem is that in order to discuss and counter the cults tactics, we need people who are there and can communicate what is going on. There are anons in Japan, Mexico, Brazil and Indonesia, but most anons come from the parts of the world with a well built out and accessible internet, i.e the Western World. People with other perspectives are very welcome, though you need a somewhat tick skin.

Seriously?

You could try over at https://whyweprotest.net/community/ , the Anonymous hangout. The greatest problem is that in order to discuss and counter the cults tactics, we need people who are there and can communicate what is going on. There are anons in Japan, Mexico, Brazil and Indonesia, but most anons come from the parts of the world with a well built out and accessible internet, i.e the Western World. People with other perspectives are very welcome, though you need a somewhat tick skin.

Thanks might try again. I lurked there for a bit and left for reasons stated above but at least they helped me make some money (I found out about Rebecca Minkoff on there and sold quite a few bags :).

Arthur Dent

Silver Meritorious Patron
Hat tip with thanks: SCIENTOLOGY INVASION OF THE BLACK COMMUNITY

734998_317411075044476_700033786_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/groups/339486949466120/permalink/396605507087597/

249913_317411781711072_1903150752_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/groups/339486949466120/permalink/396606393754175/

483339_317411415044442_15387307_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/groups/339486949466120/permalink/396606100420871/

Hopefully, end of derailment. Anyway, this aligning with the Black community has always been a feeble attempt by the cofs. The number of Afro-Americans in the cult over the years has
been nominal and the cult never failed to get some PR out of it one way or another. It pisses me off as much as using the warriors from Scotland in their IAS promo. It's advertising tek of positioning.
I hope MLK estate and others sue the crap out of them. Is anyone printing this and sending it to them, by any chance, to call it to their attention? I don't know if these images are public domain or not.

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Hopefully, end of derailment. Anyway, this aligning with the Black community has always been a feeble attempt by the cofs. The number of Afro-Americans in the cult over the years has
been nominal and the cult never failed to get some PR out of it one way or another. It pisses me off as much as using the warriors from Scotland in their IAS promo. It's advertising tek of positioning.
I hope MLK estate and others sue the crap out of them. Is anyone printing this and sending it to them, by any chance, to call it to their attention? I don't know if these images are public domain or not.

This is a serious issue. Do we know where these supposed Hubbard quotes come from?

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
:angry:

The backstory: Every so often I become fascinated with a subject and research it to death and that was what happened to me this summer with SCN. Going beyond all the old history, I find Scientology's pivot toward people of color interesting and a good indication of where they see upcoming growth. As a POC, I was fully prepared to join the critic movement but I was completely turned off by the casual racism that's allowed to flourish unchallenged. From Tory to posters here on ESMB like I quoted above to WWP, this is abhorrent. Interestingly, the only person who showed evolved views on POC was Marty Rathbun (I enjoy his musings on Malcolm X).

More specifically - NO ONE sees that the quote above is completely ludicrous and extremely racist??? The fact that someone feels comfortable posting such a comment on this board should give you ALL a long self-relective pause.

GoNuclear/Peter, It is truly UNBELIEVABLE to me that someone would make a blanket comment like this about Harlem given it's long and glorious contributions to culture. From its founding to the Harlem Renaissance to present day the area has served as a refuge for people of all socio-economic backgrounds from creatives (Zora Neal Hurston, Duke Ellington, Langston Hughes to present day Thelma Golden, Al Pacino, Marcus Samuelson ) to politics (Adam Clayton Powell to Bill Clinton) to academics (Schlomburg Center to Columbia University) to general culture (the Apollo) and on and on. Despite bad press and hard times for too many residents, Harlem is a mixed, diverse community and has always had a robust middle class. Harlem, just like the rest of NYC, is most definitely on the upswing, which is why SCN is coming onboard.

What total twaddle - if you came here hoping to get offended then you have succeeded in your aim and can leave outraged but happy.

The use of the "racism" card is getting to be a little like Godwin's law - its admitting that you really don;t have anything of substance to say,

I cannot imagine anyone wanting to live in Glasgow - doesn't make me anti-celt. Or maybe you think it does, I don't really care.

But seriously - you obviously have some sort of issue you may need to actually examine and work out.

phenomanon

Canyon

The use of pics of Miles davis, Charlie Parker, and Billie Holiday is a huge joke on COS, in that all 3 of those peeps were some of the biggest druggies in the Jazz world.
I didn't know Billie Holiday, but her drug history is common knowledge. Miles and Charlie Parker I have personally shared drugs with.
Sort of puts the lie to the Promo, yeah?

phenom

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Again, is a change to a broader subject line in order? Or would that break links?

That's actually a good question. Obviously the original link would be broken as such, but whether or not the board software is clever enough to redirect to the revised link I don't know. Ask ethercat (board software admin) if you care to.

I try to avoid burdening admins with adjusting my thread titles, though, and just live with whatever I've done.

Paul

@Seriously?

(First, thank you for the hilarious quote editing. I needed that chuckle! :biggrin:)

More importantly, I'd like to offer you a proper welcome to the community. I, for one, am very happy to have you here!

:welcome:

:heartflower: :heartflower::heartflower::heartflower::heartflower:

Seriously?

What total twaddle - if you came here hoping to get offended then you have succeeded in your aim and can leave outraged but happy.

The use of the "racism" card is getting to be a little like Godwin's law - its admitting that you really don;t have anything of substance to say,

I cannot imagine anyone wanting to live in Glasgow - doesn't make me anti-celt. Or maybe you think it does, I don't really care.

But seriously - you obviously have some sort of issue you may need to actually examine and work out.

Aww, Mick you were actually one of my faves while I was in lurk mode. Thanks for killing that in one fell swoop, er post.

First, I’mma need you to take several seats.

Second, here’s a tip ( and READ CAREFULLY) Launching an ad hominen (personal) attack is a sure sign of a poor/losing debater. More specifically, accusing someone of playing a “racism” (sp) card while debating racist behavior is right up there with accusing them of being sensitive or humorless etc. – a transparent attempt to put them on the defensive and avoid the issue. So sorry, but FAIL.

In other words, please debate me or state why you agree/disagree in clear, succinct English as I did in the quoted post. I’ll help – I do/don’t think GoNuclear was/wasn’t racist because . . .

Third, not leaving. As some people here (Hiya Arthur Dent, here’s the attention you were seeking) clearly need a couple seats, a few mirrors and a dozen clues.

Hiya WhiteRabbit, :biggrin:.

I had the exact same reaction as Seriously? - my jaw dropped at what reads as an ignorant, racist, and even pompous statement.

And your attempt at a defense makes no sense. Anyone who's lived in the U.S. for any length of time knows the stereotypes about Harlem, so the only way to interpret that comment was as racism, possibly with a huge dose of classism from someone privileged enough to clearly have the choice of where to live. Trying to equate Harlem to Alaska in this case is willful ignorance, at best.

As for "freedom of speech," yes, we do have that, and guess what? Others ALSO have freedom of speech, and they can use that freedom of speech to point out when someone else's speech has offended them!

How do you figure that you can defend one person's right to use their freedom of speech to share a thought that may be offensive to others, but see nothing wrong with silencing the freedom of speech of the person who comes along and points out that the first person's speech is offensive to them?? Even worse, you twisted things around and blamed Seriously of doing the silencing, WHILE ATTEMPTING TO SILENCE SERIOUSLY. *smdh*

Dear fairly privledged white person,

Get off your pompous high horse. Nobody is silencing her freedom of speech. Stop being such a whinning victim.

She clearly suggest that his views should not be tolerated by us (or rather her interpretation of his views.).

Tolerated. Look it up.

Discussion and disagreeing is not censoring--it is only that way for those with big egos.

The Anabaptist Jacques

Ahh, I see what I'm dealing with now. Just a tip, look up anecdotal vs empirical and learn the difference. And take a gander at the US Census Bureau info while you're at it.

To The Anabaptist Jacques, WRONG. Try again. And this time, read what White Rabbit said. I'll just add that he didn't say "I don't want to live in Alaska, I can't imagine anyone wanting to live there." He said "I can't imagine anyone wanting to live there, black or white" which is entirely different. In context and coupled with the other comments, yes racist. And with the additional attempt at rebutting my post, I'll also add obviously ignorant and startlingly provincial.
snip

Saying that "I can't imagine anyone wanting to live there, black or white" kind of implies that it is an undesirable place for blacks too.

It wasn't a racist statement.

That you took it that way reveals more about you than about him.

The Anabaptist Jacques

GoNuclear

Gold Meritorious Patron

WhiteRabbit, thanks for the backup and BunnySkull, thanks for the context. How sad, but edifying, to hear that. I've lurked here for 6 months now and I couldn't figure out why the most exciting thing in SCN IMO (the foray into the developing world/POC communities) got so little play here, now I get it.
As Janet Reitman summarized in her book, SCN has very adroitly evolved - from 50's tech to 60/70's counter-culture to 80's/90 self-improvement to aughties/present day living your best life/new normal. In the fall, I began to bring up SCN and the things I'd discovered with friends, most of whom are well-rounded, and their only knowledge about it was the celebrity angle (just like most people). However, since SCN is so mutable (WISE, Narconon) and initially appealing, their unfamiliarity could be exploited. Im particularly interested in the uptick in Asian outreach and the educational appeal. Some background - I'm a 1st generation American and a teacher so I can see the educational appeal playing particularly well to overwhelmed parents or people in my developing world home country, where there are limited educational choices and opportunities for large profits. Do you know of anywhere, since this message board doesn't seem to be the place, where these issues are discussed? If so, please share. Thank you.

Ahh, well, Mr. Seriously upgaphugged has ferretted me out. There is no point in being a closet racist anymore, I might as well go ahead and join the KKK. I guess that not understanding the point of wanting to live in such a richly cultured area such as Harlem qualifies me to wear a sheet and a pointed hat. Why fight it, might as well own it. Since I don't like OhBummer, that makes me even more of a racist. Add to that that I believe that his henchman Eric Holder is an out and out criminal who masterminded Fast and Furious to export guns into Mexico such that legitimate gun dealers here in the US could be blamed ... beyond the pale racism!!!!! And I am anti gun control, too. I'm sure that makes me even more of a racist, never minding that gun control here in the US was originally about disarming non-whites. Oh, yeah, one last point ... I figure that not only was 9-11 an inside job, but so were OKC, Columbine, the Colorado theatre shootings, and the shootings at Sandy Hook elementry school were staged to stamped simpletons into demanding their own disarmament. Whoooooaaah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way beyond the pale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a racist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah, I better get to work sewing up those bed sheets right away!

Pete