What's new

Regarding the supposed "TONE SCALE" used by Hubbard..

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron
volney-tone.jpg

The "Tone Scale" came from "The Tone Arm Scale" of Volney Mathison, the inventor of the E-meter. HOWEVER Hubbard made TWO explosive alterations:

1) Volney determined that 2.0 was not a good place for your tone arm to be, he said it indicated suppression of the person. It was HUBBARD who said Males read at 3.0 and FEMALES read at 2.0 - WHY? Because he wanted women to "grovel at his feet" Volney made NO SUCH DISTINCTION! and in his admissions Hubbard SAID about women:

"You are master of their bodies, master of their souls as you may consciously wish. You have no karma to pay for these acts. You cannot now accumulate karma for you are a master adept. Your voice is low and compelling to them. Singing to them, for you sing like a master, destroys their will to resist."

from The admissions http://www.lermanet.com/scientology-and-occult/psychiatrist-evaluates-hubbard-admissions.htm
and

2) Volney made NO REFERENCES to 1.1, this "tone level" is actually the characteristic of a sociopath, a computing psychotic. Hubbard INSERTED that into the middle of the scale of normal human emotion, to DEMONIZE HUMAN EMOTIONS so that the only relief you might get was by being audited at your expense and Hubbard's gain.

Gib

Crusader
volney-tone.jpg

The "Tone Scale" came from "The Tone Arm Scale" of Volney Mathison, the inventor of the E-meter. HOWEVER Hubbard made TWO explosive alterations:

1) Volney determined that 2.0 was not a good place for your tone arm to be, he said it indicated suppression of the person. It was HUBBARD who said Males read at 3.0 and FEMALES read at 2.0 - WHY? Because he wanted women to "grovel at his feet" Volney made NO SUCH DISTINCTION! and in his admissions Hubbard SAID about women:

"You are master of their bodies, master of their souls as you may consciously wish. You have no karma to pay for these acts. You cannot now accumulate karma for you are a master adept. Your voice is low and compelling to them. Singing to them, for you sing like a master, destroys their will to resist."

from The admissions http://www.lermanet.com/scientology-and-occult/psychiatrist-evaluates-hubbard-admissions.htm
and

2) Volney made NO REFERENCES to 1.1, this "tone level" is actually the characteristic of a sociopath, a computing psychotic. Hubbard INSERTED that into the middle of the scale of normal human emotion, to DEMONIZE HUMAN EMOTIONS so that the only relief you might get was by being audited at your expense and Hubbard's gain.

those admissions by hubbard in your link (and regardless of the analyses by the psychiatrist) are self-hypnosis or auto suggestion as explained by Dale Carnegie & Napolean Hill, which hubbard read both and mentioned in his lectures.

http://novawavesoftware.com/info5/affirmations-for-motivation-napoleon-hill-carnegie.html

http://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=17997

So hubbard hypnotized himself, and then writes a book on how to get unhypnotized called Dianetics. LOL

All the while hypnotizing people to follow him. LOL

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller
. . . 2) Volney made NO REFERENCES to 1.1, this "tone level" is actually the characteristic of a sociopath, a computing psychotic. Hubbard INSERTED that into the middle of the scale of normal human emotion, to DEMONIZE HUMAN EMOTIONS so that the only relief you might get was by being audited at your expense and Hubbard's gain . . .

Interesting stuff, thank you. There seems little doubt the Tone Scale was introduced to further polish the bullshit "scientific" aspects of L Ron Hubbard's scam and, as you suggest, to provide a fabricated mechanism by which to show "progress" and, thus, "efficacy". As I understand it, a 1.1 tone level is an arbitrary introduced by L Ron Hubbard and has nothing whatsoever to do with being indicative of sociopathy or psychosis. Didn't that come later when L Ron Hubbard had to come up with an excuse for why people spoke out against Scientology?

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron
Interesting stuff, thank you. There seems little doubt the Tone Scale was introduced to further polish the bullshit "scientific" aspects of L Ron Hubbard's scam and, as you suggest, to provide a fabricated mechanism by which to show "progress" and, thus, "efficacy". As I understand it, a 1.1 tone level is an arbitrary introduced by L Ron Hubbard and has nothing whatsoever to do with being indicative of sociopathy or psychosis. Didn't that come later when L Ron Hubbard had to come up with an excuse for why people spoke out against Scientology?

Well yes, it IS all bullshit.

Also your explanation fits perfectly the description of sociopath, regarding their inclination to use projection, LINK , projecting their traits onto others to escape detection.. which also happens to be a stage magic trick, sort of why a stage magician has a girl with nice legs as an assistant.

Gib

Crusader

you know I did the "basics" a few years ago, and on some of the early lectures there was a live demonstration and "tone level" was being said while hubbard was auditing somebody, the the speaker would say tone level 2.0, tone level now 1.2, and on and on. I couldn't figured out what was being said or done. Now I understand.

I'll have to dig out the lectures and post pictures of it.

So what I got was in the very early 1951/52 lectures, there a live demo of auditing, and the lingo used was tone level, as opposed to tone arm movement. That was my confusion.

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller
Well yes, it IS all bullshit.

Also your explanation fits perfectly the description of sociopath, regarding their inclination to use projection, LINK , projecting their traits onto others to escape detection.. which also happens to be a stage magic trick, sort of why a stage magician has a girl with nice legs as an assistant.

Fer sure, and L Ron Hubbard was a master of that trait. I mean, who would ever suspect that the person warning others about that pernicious 1.1 Tone Level did, in fact, himself display all of the characteristics. Its like that classic where L Ron Hubbard warns people that the only way to control others is to lie to them before immediately lying to the very people he was addressing. Sometimes the best place to hide is right out infront of everyone.

It seems a bit too cute sometimes when the Tone Scale is ocassionally linked with genuine psyhological terms. It provides, by sly insinuation, the suggestion that the Tone Scale is in some way respectable. Its a bit like when L Ron Hubbard is included in statements along with, say, Sir Isaac Newton, as if the two were in any way comparable. I'm not accusing you of that, at all. In fact, the point you make about L Ron Hubbard's overt use of the Tone Scale along with the more covert camouflage effect for him personally, seems bang on.

Danger Mouse

Patron with Honors
The only part of the Tone Scale that made sense to me is the same part that we've known about since we learned to speak. How are you?

"I'm feeling on top of the world." "I'm in high spirits."

"So-so" "Ehhh" "Fair to middlin'"

"I'm feeling a little down today." "Depressed."

The up and down thing is something we've always known, in general. Zones 1 through 4, well, maybe, kinda. Negative numbers and values in the hundredths and thousandths? Get real.

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
volney-tone.jpg

and

Arnie,

I remember Hubbard crediting Mathieson with development of the e meter (was it KSW?), but your deconstruction of, and analysis of the tone scale is fascinating. Science of Survival, which is an in depth exposition of his thinking of the subject has, I believe, some of his most damnable quotes about gay people (unless they've been expunged from the text as "typos")

in the '70's, my sister, in an act of great courage,
came out to me. She opened her heart, and bared her soul and told me she was gay, and had always been gay, and would always be so. As a dedicated Scientologist who had read and duplicated Science of Survival completely (including the Chart of Human Evaluation that came with it at no additional cost,) I, her loving brother, proceeded to explain to her that her homosexuality was 1.1 on the tone scale, and that with auditing, she could change and become a better, higher-toned person.

The 30 minutes that I spent with my Sister, and my regurgitation of Hubbard's drivel about gay people being 1.1 on the Tone Scale poisoned my relationship with my only sibling for the next 20 years. My sanctimonious adoption of Hubbard's homophobia, my intellectual abdication, and the pain I subsequently caused and experienced were as a direct result of my blind acceptance of Hubbard's Scientological paradigm. My own pre-existing homophobia notwithstanding, Hubbard's advices far worsened a delicate family moment.

I know that these types of situations occurred in hundreds, if not thousands of families which experienced the hardships, challenges and difficulties that all families face. Scientology DOES NOT HELP.

In these cases, Scientology is like the arsonist trying to extinguish, with petrol, the fire he began.

Now comes Thanksgiving, when the bonds of love and gratitude are strengthened within families. And I think of the families, broken, shattered, irreparably destroyed by this...evil cult. The parents and children, the brothers and sisters who should be sharing love, and the easy laughter of familiarity in between mouthfuls of stuffing and cranberries.

But will not.

my prayer for this Thanksgiving is for all of us to redouble our efforts to warn about the profound danger and damage and suffering caused by Scientology. May this cult continue to be exposed and weakened, and may more and more broken families be re-united in love and mutual affection.
May God let it be so.

Amen.

Last edited: