What's new

Registered copyright holder of LRH materials

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
I was bored and decided to amuse myself by wandering over to the website of the US Copyright Office and looking up some LRH books and seeing the copyright history.

Taking as an example Introduction to Scientology Ethics, I notice that it has an interesting history. (Originally, I had put in links, but the links on the search are not permanent and time out)

In 2007 it was copyrighted in the name of Church of Spiritual Technology (this is the "Basics" version).

In 1999 a version was copyrighted (in a mass registration with many other documents) in the names of (1) "Church of Scientology International" and (2) "Church of Spiritual Technology, conducting its affairs under the name L. Ron Hubbard Library"

In 1988 a version was copyrighted (also in a mass registration) by (1) "Norman F. Starkey, executor of the Estate of L. Ron Hubbard" and (2) "New Era Publications International".

The 1973 edition is really interesting. It's title is "Introduction to scientology ethics. By L. Ron Hubbard", but the copyright holder is Mary Sue Hubbard. This is also the case for the 1970 edition.

Looking though other titles, I see other bits of interesting data. Like Scientology 8-8008's 1973 edition being copyrighted in the name of Diana Meredith DeWolf Hubbard (LRH's daughter Diana)

I'm just wondering what could be gleaned from this sort of info as to what has been going on internally in Co$ since LRH died.

The appearance is that, back in the 70's, it was LRH's intention to have Mary Sue and Diana be the official owners of the copyrights. Then at his death Norman Starkey gained control, and now control is in the hands of CST, which has issued new versions of the material in order to cement its hold on the copyrights.

skollie

Silver Meritorious Patron
This site has some registered to the kids as of 2005/2006

http://www.faqs.org/copyright/organizational-stress-studies-in-role-conflict-and/

Document number:
V3533D641
Date of Recordation:
January 3, 2006
Entire Copyright Document:
V3533 D638-641 P1-22
Date of Execution:
December 24, 2005
Title:
Organizational indoctrination & 1367 other titles (part 004 of 010)
Notes:
Copyright assignment.
Party 1 personal name:
Diana Meredith Dewolf Hubbard Ryan & Mary Suzette Rochelle Hubbard & Arthur Ronald Conway Hubbard & Lafayette Ronald Hubbard & L. Ron Hubbard & Nibs Hubbard & Ronald Dewolf & Katherine May Hubbard Gillespie
Names:
Diana Meredith Dewolf Hubbard Ryan, Mary Suzette Rochelle Hubbard, Arthur Ronald Conway Hubbard, Lafayette Ronald Hubbard, Jr. (a.k.a. L. Ron Hubbard, Jr. a.k.a. Nibs Hubbard a.k.a. Ronald Dewolf) & Katherine May Hubbard Gillespie, by Jane McNairn (Atty) (9 documents)
example document: Organizational indoctrination & 1367 other titles (part 002 of 010)
Diana Meredith Dewolf Hubbard Ryan (20 documents)
example document: Organizational indoctrination & 1367 other titles (part 010 of 010)

TalleyWhacker

Patron with Honors
Interesting. This may be what lead Demented Midget to do the Basics roll-out in 2007, to ensure that only materials copyrighted by CST could be considered "standard tech".

No doubt.
Does this mean that the earlier editions are now within the public domain IE not protected by copyrights and can be quoted, used for whatever purpose?

Like websites? FreeZone? Kindling?
(We'd better let HellevaHoax know about this.)

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but it seems that if you quoted from material whose official copyright holder is other than CST or RTC, they would have to first prove that the copyrights from those earlier materials had devolved to them.

The fact that they did the Basics rollout, and wanted the destruction of the old material, may indicate that they were less than successful in getting the material assigned to them.