What's new

Religion After Scientology

AngeloV

Gold Meritorious Patron
The 'great' religions of the world are based on books - Bible, Koran, Bhagavad Gita, etc.

The premise of all of these texts is that God/Gods spoke to people thousands of years ago and they wrote down what he/she/they said.

Then the gods STFU and never spoke to people again. Why? Did they say to themselves "Hey, we told them enough. Let's let it ride and see what happens. Oh and by the way if they don't follow our rules for the next million years, let's make them suffer when they die."

Why don't they stop by once in a while and shoot us a message to let us know they are still around, care for us and tell us to be nice to each other?

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
The 'great' religions of the world are based on books - Bible, Koran, Bhagavad Gita, etc.

The premise of all of these texts is that God/Gods spoke to people thousands of years ago and they wrote down what he/she/they said.

Then the gods STFU and never spoke to people again. Why? Did they say to themselves "Hey, we told them enough. Let's let it ride and see what happens. Oh and by the way if they don't follow our rules for the next million years, let's make them suffer when they die."

Why don't they stop by once in a while and shoot us a message to let us know they are still around, care for us and tell us to be nice to each other?

Some people would say they do stop by and give us messages but the problem is that nowadays people are much more sceptical than they used to be.

There are lots of books, websites etc containing "channelled" information. Some of it good, some not so good. But try having a sensible discussion about it and most people think you're crazy.

Demented Hubbatd

Patron with Honors
I was raised as an atheist by my atheist father. When I became a Scientologist, I still was an atheist, so I didn't believe in the theta idea. But I believed in Dianetics, so I joined Sea Org because they promised to put me on a fast track to a NED auditor. That didn't happen, so I left SO after 4 months of slave labor. After leaving SO I did plenty of auditing of my WOG friends; my auditing was based on Volumes I and II of Dianetics Series. That auditing led to nowhere, so I quit Scientology after of 11 months of trying to cure my friends.

Then I read a book on Buddhism and was captivated by it, mainly by the Buddhist philosophy, but not by the Buddhist rituals (The title of that book is A Buddhist Bible). That lead me to a spiritual journey that still lasts. I also became interested in Christianity, but also mostly theoretically.

I do not attend a Christian church or a Buddhist temple, and I do not pray. But I came to conclusion that there is life after the death.

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
Just ran across this great quote today...

"People are united by Questions....it is the Answers that divide is."

Religion is certainly a dividing force.

hummingbird

Patron with Honors

I've had this thought a bazillion times. My conclusion is that either 1) they've moved on and they don't care and there's no one in the sky listening or watching or 2) it was all a bunch of made up malarkey to control the masses thousands of years ago.

Face it, mankind and his motives haven't changed at all. Hubbard wasn't unusual, not the first of his kind. Not even the ten-thousandth. Who doesn't want to be worshipped and idolated? And given many moneys? Especially when just about everyone around you is illiterate, so you can flash some text at them and tell them you know some seekrits?

This was really brought home to me when I toured a cathedral in Germany decades ago (I'm from California America, where there is no history. :) ) I looked at the lovely stained glass, the high arching walls and spires, the beautiful paintings, and I thought: "Okay it's the 1700s, and I'm a peasant in Germany. I can't read or write. I live in a thatch-covered hut. People don't live much past their 40s, and their lives until then are hard, unrelenting labor. Then, for some reason, they come to the Big City and enter one of these buildings. Wouldn't they be dazzled? Wouldn't they think that here was Truth?"

And don't get me started on the riches the Catholic Church has amassed while various popes quote the Bible on helping the poor. :angry:

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron

He did. That's why we are here.

cleared cannibal

Silver Meritorious Patron
As you search remember any group will have a leader.
A group will have members or followers.
A group will have a stated purpose.
A group will have rules.
A group will have activities focused on the purpose.
A group will have a reaction when you join.
A group will have a reaction when you stop or leave.

Find a group religious or otherwise and see how they react to the joining and leaving.

You want a group that is as accepting when you leave as when you join. They will miss you but wish you well on your journey. From the atheist movement to churches to social/political groups see how they think of or speak of former members. That is a good way to judge who you want to be part of.

Take a study of religion class at a college. Visit 10 churches in 10 weeks, look on facebook for social/political groups and go to some meetings. Where do you fit in? You may need to look awhile to find a group. We are social creatures who need a purpose. Go find yours and enjoy the journey.

Always keep your eyes and heart open and do not let anyone tell you they are the "only" way to happiness. There are many roads for you to test and take.

:happydance: :yes:

Bingo. One of my sayings is that "There is more then one road to heaven".

This puts me at odds with nearly all if not all organized religion. I really do not like it when Scientologists are denigrated because of their beliefs. If you get right down to it I don't know if Scn if that much different than most religions other than the hard sell part.

I feel if you need to develop your own relationship with god and this can't be done by joining a church. I hesitate to use this but it has to be true to you. Even though Scn uses this phrase I think it wise words. The trouble with religion is that they try to brain wash one to where you don't know what is true to you. I have found people in general often lie to themselves about things and religion capitalizes on this.

To me religion is a personnel thing and a group only gets in the way. I think many are so insecure in their spiritual ideas that they need a group for reinforcement.

Almost everyone is religious whether they admit it or not. To the secular society today their religion is the scientific method. They put all faith in what science says.

Leaving Scn does leave a void in ones life but organized religion could only change the oppressor ,though almost any would be less so. I feel you need to work out what you believe on your own w/o the contamination of other's thoughts . I guess the meditations of the eastern religions are way of doing this. I don't need some one to tell me truth I need to work it out on my own.

Of all the derogatory things I have to say about Scn it did help me to become more aware spiritually. Whether we come back as the same unit or are incorporated in a mass of energy , who really cares. it is not going to help you this life and I don't think there is any possibility of having choices and changing the next life. If one is truly spiritual they tend not to fear death.

A collection of thoughts bordering on insanity I guess. LOL

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
For me, sorting out the differences in religion & spirituality was very useful.

I happen to believe the root word of 'religion' is 'control'. And, to me, spirituality deals with freedoms.

But, each person finding what works best for them seems to do it.

As a wise man once said, " there are many roads up the mountain & they all lead to the same top ".

True, nothing is perfect & no one has all the knowledge.