Remember the big OTVIII / VII push.

Illegal Alien

Patron with Honors
Is this still being pushed?

I look at Scientology and see these phases they go through. The new big thing to change this sector. It constantly changes and I don't think any of them even get achieved.

The OTVIII one for me is the one that sticks in my mind. Sh_t maybe it was OTVII, its not really important which one. But what was talked about was how this world would change and the sphere of influence of a certain amount of OT's would stop the decline of humanity on earth.

It was that important to have OTVIII's and people on OTVII auditing away.
During all of this a family member at the time was being recruited for the Freewinds.

He was on OTVII and had been on it for 8 years already. The Freewinds sent out a special mission just to recruit him and help him set everything up so he could leave his business. I remember how much importance was given to him being on OTVII and his ability to have mass cause and what he could do in the Sea Org especially the Freewinds in such an OT enviroment.

It was a huge thing and YES he felt very special having a Mission sent just for him to join.

Well he joined and is as far as I know a course supervisor now.
The weird thing is that he was not able to get in session much due to his post responsibilities and his auditing slipped.

Some time later he was given a non clear r-factor. That's pretty hard after auditing on OTVII for around 8 years.

That was that, nothing more on his bridge.
Now all that push as to how these OT's would make the difference and they just let someone who is so close just slip off the level and continue as a course sup without getting him to that "prestigious" OTVII completion or onto OTVIII.

It just shows that these phases are money phases as really nothing came of this and those so close slipped away without intervention.
I mean if he was a public he would be forced to pay to finish and ethics checked and so on and so on all at great cost.

But as it would now cost Scio to help him complete; no no no more for you.

What happened to the "power" of these OT"s.

GoNuclear

Gold Meritorious Patron
always

Their only current push is for donations.

They ALWAYS push for donations. What else is new. The sky is falling. Donate now. We need a new building. Donate now. The psychs are going to win unless you DONATE NOW. Evil espees are conspiring away to start WWIII, donate now. Donate now, donate now, donate now ... and yes, we take MasterCard and Visa. Almost enough to make you wish you were a redge.

Pete

Kutta

Silver Meritorious Patron
I never heard of donations when I was 'in'. That was late 70s to 81. To my knowledge, there was no hard regging. People were lining up for auditing and training any way. Big changes have occurred since then. Horrible.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I never heard of donations when I was 'in'. That was late 70s to 81. To my knowledge, there was no hard regging. People were lining up for auditing and training any way. Big changes have occurred since then. Horrible.

At that time at Saint Hill there was a lot of NOTs being sold and delivered. A large number of the people on lines were taking services paid for at the old rates, i.e., £75 per 12 1/2 hours and £200 for Level 0-IV with a free Student Hat thrown in. Or £275 for the SHSBC. Since NOTs auditing was NOT being delivered using old money, the overall result was a relative continued affluence of income and bodies in the shop for several years.

Paul

Veda

Sponsor

I don't think donations (not for services, but for buildings, etc.) became a big factor until after Scientology gained tax exemption in 1993. Before then, selectively, rich Scientologists - especially non-celebrity rich Scientologists - were occasionally approached, and approached aggressively, for (non-service related) donations, but most public never heard about that. It certainly wasn't done on the scale it is now, post 1993.

Hard regging, or hard sell, was standard procedure starting in the 1960s and into the 1970s. I don't know about the few years when you were involved (late 70s to 81), but hard sell was very real, and there was hard sell tech.

Scientology is now in the "have" stage of its "BE, DO, HAVE" cycle. Most of the money has been made and is buried away (although greed still demands more money, "make more money!"), most of the monuments have been built, and the steel plates - with Hubbard's words and name on them - buried, so as to "last 10,000 years," etc.

That's what Scientology was mainly for, not so much for the "tech." The well-meaning "tech people" thought Hubbard was building a Bridge (after all, that was what he said he was doing), but he was actually building a monument to himself.

Scientology doesn't have to "work" (make "OTs," etc.) to be successful, it only has to exist, and continue to exist.

thetanic

Gold Meritorious Patron
I don't think donations (not for services, but for buildings, etc.) became a big factor until after Scientology gained tax exemption in 1993. Before then, selectively, rich Scientologists - especially non-celebrity rich Scientologists - were occasionally approached, and approached aggressively, for (non-service related) donations, but most public never heard about that. It certainly wasn't done on the scale it is now, post 1993.

I know for sure it wasn't done in my own org. When someone wanted to donate for some renovations, we did accept the money, but first ensured there wasn't any other services he needed in exchange. It was totally his idea.

I think eventually the $ wound up being on account for some friend's academy levels or something, but I can't remember if we just discussed that or it actually happened that way.

Mockingbird6

Patron with Honors
Haven't you heard?

Haven't you heard? After the last big push that would change everything, which was to make OT7's and 8's along with everyone else redo their grades, the latest push is to make them all redo their objectives. The blanket C/S is that you have to have a certain number of HOURS of objectives or you're not really done. Throw phenomena out the window. It's a horse race. So many times around the track = certainty.

I am seeing BI's galore around here.

And loving it!

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Haven't you heard? After the last big push that would change everything, which was to make OT7's and 8's along with everyone else redo their grades, the latest push is to make them all redo their objectives. The blanket C/S is that you have to have a certain number of HOURS of objectives or you're not really done. Throw phenomena out the window. It's a horse race. So many times around the track = certainty.

I am seeing BI's galore around here.

And loving it!

It's the reverse bridge: you start somewhere on the OT Levels, redo some Clear stuff, redo Grades, redo Objectives, study some basic books, then you're out of Scientology.

Paul

Kutta

Silver Meritorious Patron
At that time at Saint Hill there was a lot of NOTs being sold and delivered. A large number of the people on lines were taking services paid for at the old rates, i.e., £75 per 12 1/2 hours and £200 for Level 0-IV with a free Student Hat thrown in. Or £275 for the SHSBC. Since NOTs auditing was NOT being delivered using old money, the overall result was a relative continued affluence of income and bodies in the shop for several years.

Paul

Interesting that during that period of relative affluence, SO staff were paid in small change, beans and rice were at times on the menu, there was no heating allowed in the freezing, centuries-old Stonelands during one winter at least, 7 day and night working weeks were 'normal', and a good night's sleep was a rare luxury. What on earth was it like in hard times?

FinallyFree

Gold Meritorious Patron
I have a box full of promo from orgs all over the US (possibly some out of the country, I can check) they are pushing three things:

- DM is awesome and the great leader/savior/bestest humanitarian most amazing awesomest guy EVAR!!!! (or as we Ex's know: *I* am not the SP, no I am not, am not, am not, am not! AM NOT!!!)

- IDEAL ORGS: DONATIONS, DONATIONS, DONATIONS (GIMME YER MONEY, ALL YER MONIES, AND GIMME NOW or you are a: SP, Out Ethics, Down Stat, Squirrel, Counter Intention, dramatizing Evil purposes. GIMME YOUR MONEY, ALL YOUR MONEY or we will: kick you off services, call an Ethics Hearing, a Com Ev, come to your house late at night and refuse to leave until you empty your bank accounts... you get the idea....)

- BASICS, BASICS, BASICS (yeah, yeah, yeah we KNOW the definition of Dianetics has been completely changed - it was always wrong, but now it is "less wrong" (this was actually said to a scientologist who demanded her KR on this issue be addressed.) YEAH YEAH YEAH, we know there are HUGE changes to the tech, but all those nasty SP's like Mayo...... yadda, yadda, yadda.....) and even Hubbard changed the tech while HE was alive..... WTF???)

Feral

Rogue male
I was going to post on this thread yesterday, but after reading the OP I felt too sad about the whole thing.

I was part of the great push to get 10,000 onto OT VII as a Flag FSM and an OT committee member at ASH ANZO, I recall we were meant to have 200 on the lower OT levels at each AO to feed Flag, there were 4 or 5.:duh:

The glittering promise of OT and shop- bought spiritual freedom was such a bait and switch con.

And for your friend the allurement of joining the SO as a prestigious OT was no more than another bait and switch, now he's nowhere on the imaginary route to total freedom.

Geez.