What's new

Rex Fowler Charged With 1st Degree Murder!

Cherished

Silver Meritorious Patron
To be honest I feel sick to my bones about this.

It's just too real, I keep thinking about the family of the deceased. Fowler's wife and kids.

I know the kind of pressure he was put under by the cult. I did over 20 of those six month checks and each one would tighten the screws further.

It's not easy being an "OT" when your life is crumbling and your miserable.

Remember that poor fellow who was Nancy Cartright's ex?

I'm afraid we're going to see an awful lot more of this amongst the "elite".

The Church has destroyed these lives, make no mistake.

It's when I see what a mess made by Rex Fowler and the awful tragedy that was the end of Steve Brackett's life, that your own escape from the hell of being a public OTVII is made all the more "real" to me, Feral.

Last edited:

Wisened One

Crusader
When Janet Fowler was interviewed by detectives, she told them she wanted the briefcase returned immediately.
"It is important to me and my church. It is religious material and I want it now," she said to investigators. "Even if you looked at it, and read it, you would not understand anything in it. Because it is way above a normal person and you would not know what it meant. I want it back right now."

Oh the arrogance of it all... :eyeroll:

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Investigators say the gun was registered to Andrew Hyung Fowler, 26, who lived at 1413 L. Ron Hubbard Way in Los Angeles, when it was purchased. In interviews with police, Andrew Fowler said he gave the gun to his father for Christmas in 2007.

Given that the address is ASHO, which would imply that Andrew Fowler was a SO member (or perhaps an outer-org student on training at ASHO), does anybody else think that HCO might not approve of a guy owning a handgun while in residence at ASHO?

Div6

Crusader
Wow. They even noticed the ESMB\WWP communities:

Several websites that scrutinize Scientology have been following this case, with links to records that allegedly reveal Fowler was a senior Scientologist. The sites claim that Fowler Software was a member of the World Institute of Scientology Enterprises.

Article was updated just a short time ago: http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_14251372

TalleyWhacker

Patron with Honors
OSA Lurkers--Pay attention to this one:
Solution to having Church involved and throwing all remaining members of the Fowler family under the bus....he can cop a plea and avoid capital punishment and then become the first OT 7 "in-house" Criminon supervisor.

Think of the wins!!

Mockingbird6

Patron with Honors
Regarding the $200,000

Not a lawyer myself, but I have heard of a thing called "FRAUDULENT CONVEYANCE" which I believe is applicable here.

When your company is not doing well, if you "pass" money in some way to another group (perhaps you have some personal interest in that group?) it is

- ILLEGAL!!!!!

It would behoove the Ciancio family to look into this as a means of getting the investment back.

I have heard of the CofS/IAS refunding donations when the money was obtained illegally (Heilig in Germany was one). Have them give it all to the Ciancio's--a very small repayment for a man's life.

Thrak

Gold Meritorious Patron
I just hope this stories has legs. Of course we can't presume we know what happened at this point, but an "OT" committing murder and attempting suicide with all of these scn connections in plain view hopefully can show people what scn can do to people and how they operate.

TalleyWhacker

Patron with Honors
Not a lawyer myself, but I have heard of a thing called "FRAUDULENT CONVEYANCE" which I believe is applicable here.

When your company is not doing well, if you "pass" money in some way to another group (perhaps you have some personal interest in that group?) it is

- ILLEGAL!!!!!

It would behoove the Ciancio family to look into this as a means of getting the investment back.

I have heard of the CofS/IAS refunding donations when the money was obtained illegally (Heilig in Germany was one). Have them give it all to the Ciancio's--a very small repayment for a man's life.

So they are all of sudden going to change their ways and become a benevolent and compassionate organization??????????????????????

That will be a cold day in Hell.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Given that the address is ASHO, which would imply that Andrew Fowler was a SO member (or perhaps an outer-org student on training at ASHO), does anybody else think that HCO might not approve of a guy owning a handgun while in residence at ASHO?

don't know. It never used to be a problem when I was at Flag.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)

- ILLEGAL!!!!!

:goodposting::iagree:

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
I suspect the mere mention of Reed Slatkin would have the 'Church' scrambling to return donations. Some anyway. The ones they couldn't hide.

Of course, the money may not be the *only* PR fiasko here.

Zinj

Enthetan

Master of Disaster

- ILLEGAL!!!!!

Possibly this is what Ciancio threatened to do. As a partner/investor in the firm, he would have a right to contest the $200K payment is being unrelated to the business of being a software firm. The threat of what might happen to Fowler should IAS (or whoever it was) being forced to cough up the money may have caused Fowler to snap.

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
Well the situation seems to have panned out pretty much as we speculated, but the details are shocking and very, very damaging for the CoS.

Firstly, the person being charged with murder, Rex Fowler, is at the pinnacle of the Scientology Bridge to spiritual enlightenment. Therefore, by Scientology’s own definition, should be one of the most ethical and sane people on this planet. But, Fowler’s actions put the lie to this.

I have no doubt that Fowler viewed Ciancio as an SP who threatened him and his ‘religion’ and had to be stopped. Cultists think like this and they are unable to see the consequences of their actions.

We have seen murders in the CoS before, but the world is a different place now and people everywhere are beginning to join up the dots.

From the article: “Employees of the software company, which reportedly had suffered financial difficulties since 2008, related in part to the transfer of as much as $200,000 to a church or charity by Fowler, told investigators that Ciancio arrived around 10 a.m. Dec. 30 to collect his check.”

I think we can guess where that $200,000 went. This immediately paints a picture of a businessman being coerced to give money to the cult. Money that his company could ill afford, given their poor financial position. The media won’t have to go far to find many other cases where Scientologists have been made to give money to the cult, resulting in financial collapse. This is inevitably going to cause a lot of distress and quite probably suicidal thoughts.

Even Fowler’s wife has to butt in with a Scientologist’s typically blinkered and inappropriate rhetoric: ‘Janet Fowler also reportedly told investigators that her husband "is a Scientologist and would not have gone without a fight. He would have grabbed a gun in a struggle and would not have let someone shoot him."’

Way to go Janet! Just in case anyone missed that Fowler was a Scientologist and you imply that Scientologists are aggressive. This is also very sad, because here we can see that Mrs Fowler is unable to believe that her husband was talking to a man at his desk, pulled out a gun and shot him 3 times in the head. She seems to have convinced herself that somehow Ciancio was the aggressor, and that Fowler heroically fought him off even after being shot once in the head and then wrestled the gun from Ciancio and then shot him 3 times in the head.

I mean, how delusional can you be? She probably thinks that this is all a plot by the ‘psychs’ to discredit Scientology.

Hopefully, she will come to see the part that the cult of Scientology has played in wrecking their lives.

And to cap it all, his son who gave him the gun, lives on L Ron Hubbard way!

“Investigators say the gun was registered to Andrew Hyung Fowler, 26, who lived at 1413 L. Ron Hubbard Way in Los Angeles, when it was purchased. In interviews with police, Andrew Fowler said he gave the gun to his father for Christmas in 2007.”

Since I don’t know too much about US gun laws, could someone who might know, tell us if it would be legal for one person to buy and register a gun and then just give it to someone else? Could the son face criminal charges?

This is obviously a terrible tragedy for everyone involved. I have to agree with Feral that it is highly likely that we will see other cases like this as the cult starts to unravel and those who have gambled their whole lives on the dream of Total Freedom have the shocking realisation that they have thrown everything away on a con. When I had my run-in with OTVIII George Baillie, it was very graphically brought home to me, just what being at the top of the Bridge and refusing to see the truth could do to someone’s sanity. The anger, fear, and frustration resulting from knowing that you have been betrayed and wasted you whole life, is enough to send anyone over the edge.

Barring Fowler claiming to have been driven insane by the teachings of this church, it is difficult to see how this could be any worse for the ‘church’ of Scientology.

Axiom142

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Since I don’t know too much about US gun laws, could someone who might know, tell us if it would be legal for one person to buy and register a gun and then just give it to someone else? Could the son face criminal charges?

It'd depend on the local ordinances and whether a 9mm pistol would need to be registered at all. There's no particular national law on registration or private sales/gifts. That he gave his address on Elron Way though is meaningful. Was that actually his residence in LA? We don't know. He might be liable if he gave false information or if Colorady/city has specific rules.

Zinj

Mockingbird6

Patron with Honors
I don't see it this way...

Cultists think like this and they are unable to see the consequences of their actions.
Axiom142

Love ya, and although I like a lot of your analysis, I disagree with this statement. True Scios see the results of their actions very well when those results would be bad PR for the church. Their lives are ruled by "what would the church think of me, what would people think of the church, if I did X?" (Everyone raise your hand if you were "in" and never had this thought!)

That is why I think Rex Fowler had reached the breaking point and was deliberately trying to bring bad repute on the church by his actions--see my earlier post elaborating on this.

I agree that further insanities existed, but I still think his basic statement, by what he did, exposes the church in ways they cannot cover up, and that was his intention.

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
It'd depend on the local ordinances and whether a 9mm pistol would need to be registered at all. There's no particular national law on registration or private sales/gifts. That he gave his address on Elron Way though is meaningful. Was that actually his residence in LA? We don't know. He might be liable if he gave false information or if Colorady/city has specific rules.

Zinj

Thanks for that Zinj.

I know that I am straying into very dangerous territory here, but the thought that someone can buy a powerful handgun and then just give it to another person to do with as they please and no one has to get a license or inform the police makes me very sad.

Axiom142