What's new

Rex Reed's OSA-like review of The Master

BunnySkull

Silver Meritorious Patron
I didn't say "paranoid". You may be right about Reed though. I confirmed that he did lie about the audiences booing the movie. That cerainly indicates an agenda for his review. But in reality most people are going to ignore his review. I still predict this movie will earn several Oscars.

Totally agree with you. Rex Reed is a prissy old queen and not taken seriously by anyone any more. His job is to provide positive blurbs to movies no one else would. I think his review has zero importance and I do think the movie is going to do very well at the oscars.

Seriously, I think there might be a big urge to finally give the big middle finger to the cult by voting for this movie - besides the fact is exactly what an oscar caliber movie should be - an important art form telling a compelling story about the big issues of life, not just a commodity to generate box office millions. There's also not much competition, it's leading the field by miles. Then add to the fact Weinstien is known for heavily promoting his movies to the academy members, he's the type of guy since he's already made millions in the movies places big importance on awards and backing what he believes are "important" films. He wants the critical adulation, he wants to be known for producing great films. (Sometimes this back fires and he pisses people off by pushing too hard, but that's usually when the movie was somewhat weak anyway and considered a long shot.)

Anyway, that's what really got me about Reed's review the bold faced lies he told. They stuck out because the first reviews I heard in the media about the film were from Venice and Toronto and I was thrilled to hear all the raves and praise - and it was such high praise the type you rarely hear anymore. I specifically remembered a UK critic being interviewed and proclaiming that it was far and away the very best movie at Venice, and he said it was a wide consensus on that point among critics, journalists and audience - everyone was bowled over by it.

So after being stunned by reading Rex's boldfaced lies, everything else he wrote was suspect in my eyes and I inspected everything else he wrote in the review closely with an eye towards hack work.

pineapple

Rex Reed? I thought he was dead, too. Who's next, Rona Barrett?

Lone Star, I expected something very loosely based on scn, too, and was shocked when I saw The Master. I don't know if you are an ex or not, but this movie contains many, many scn references, some subtle, some not, which will be obvious to any ex-scio.

And, lest I be misunderstood, as Bunnyskull has pointed out elsewhere, it is a very good movie completely aside from that, and is about more than just scn.

Lone Star

Crusader
Rex Reed? I thought he was dead, too. Who's next, Rona Barrett?

Lone Star, I expected something very loosely based on scn, too, and was shocked when I saw The Master. I don't know if you are an ex or not, but this movie contains many, many scn references, some subtle, some not, which will be obvious to any ex-scio.

And, lest I be misunderstood, as Bunnyskull has pointed out elsewhere, it is a very good movie completely aside from that, and is about more than just scn.

Thanks, that's good to know about the Scn references. I look forward to seeing it. Hopefully this weekend.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
I didn't say "paranoid". You may be right about Reed though. I confirmed that he did lie about the audiences booing the movie. That cerainly indicates an agenda for his review. But in reality most people are going to ignore his review. I still predict this movie will earn several Oscars.

If you are able to mention it, I am very curious how you confirmed the audience(s) booing or not booing.

Your prediction on the likelihood of garnering a handful of Oscars (Best Picture, Best actor, Best Supporting....etc.) is a good one. Especially since the quirky rules at the Cannes Film Festival prevented the film from getting the Best Picture award--even though it was the voters #1 choice. They restrict any one film from getting multiple awards, so voters essentially had to choose which one(s) they preferred to give and which to leave out. They opted to let the actors (personally) take the glory instead of the "picture". Understandable, but their intent was to also give it Best Picture. That creates a perfect atmosphere for Academy members to recognize THE MASTER in Best Picture category, to right the course of motion picture history.

Lone Star

Crusader
If you are able to mention it, I am very curious how you confirmed the audience(s) booing or not booing.

Your prediction on the likelihood of garnering a handful of Oscars (Best Picture, Best actor, Best Supporting....etc.) is a good one. Especially since the quirky rules at the Cannes Film Festival prevented the film from getting the Best Picture award--even though it was the voters #1 choice. They restrict any one film from getting multiple awards, so voters essentially had to choose which one(s) they preferred to give and which to leave out. They opted to let the actors (personally) take the glory instead of the "picture". Understandable, but their intent was to also give it Best Picture. That creates a perfect atmosphere for Academy members to recognize THE MASTER in Best Picture category, to right the course of motion picture history.

I confirmed that the audiences didn't boo by using my OT powers to go back in time and attend the screenings. I promise that I didn't initiate any applause. That would've been cheating. :biggrin:

All kidding aside, I made Google my friend and checked out multiple sites that reviewed the screenings at the locations Reed mentioned in his article. They all said that The Master was well received. Some sites did say that not everyone loved it, but there was no indication of booing, or of people walking out on it.

G

Gottabrain

Another Review by Another Generation

I just have to put this review here, because it's just so funny... :hysterical: :hysterical:

[video=youtube;z2LmHqDkI1E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2LmHqDkI1E[/video]

HelluvaHoax!

Re: Another Review by Another Generation

I just have to put this review here, because it's just so funny... :hysterical: :hysterical:

Whoa! Thanks for posting that. I luvvved those two super cool people and their common sense take on it.

HelluvaHoax!

I confirmed that the audiences didn't boo by using my OT powers to go back in time and attend the screenings. I promise that I didn't initiate any applause. That would've been cheating. :biggrin:

All kidding aside, I made Google my friend and checked out multiple sites that reviewed the screenings at the locations Reed mentioned in his article. They all said that The Master was well received. Some sites did say that not everyone loved it, but there was no indication of booing, or of people walking out on it.

Very interesting, thanks!

I would be very surprised if Scientology did not "plant" some cult members in any screenings they could wrangle their way into in order to loudly boo.

And with a sleazemaster like Rex Reed to use his media position to "report" that there were "boos" of disapproval, they could have had "wins" and market their graphs as a big upswinging "affluence" in public relations.

Scientology is so crazy and so stupid that this kind of caper actually would make sense to them.

WINNING! lololololol

Adam7986

Declared SP
Why on earth would you bother? :eyeroll:

The movie is a fictional narrative. It is not a story about scientology or l. ron hubbard. Yes, it draws on some elements from the life of hubbard to tell its own story, but that is a wholly fictitious tale. Watching it doesn't add one whit to anyone's actual knowledge about hubbard or the church.

So why would you care what sort of movie reviews it gets? :duh:

I've nothing against the film but if you actually want people to understand hubbard or the church point them in the direction of facts, not some make believe hollywood film about an imaginary cult.

Mark A. Baker

Right on. This had nothing to do with the OP but thanks for your professional movie critique. :confused2:

Lone Star

Crusader

This couple is awesome! I just bet that after I watch the movie I'll end up agreeing with their take on it.

G

Gottabrain

The reviews and comments about The Master movie show it is stimulating all sorts of talk and conversations about Scientology, about brainwashing, about its taking advantage of others, its sleazy hype. Comparisons to other cults where members suicided, gave up their homes, stories of being chased down by Scientologists... there are so many reviews, it is impossible to keep up.

This movie is making everyone THINK. It is doing more to expose the Scientology scam/cult than anything, ever. It's like a grassroots word of mouth campaign that started a bushfire.

And the critics are JOKING about being harassed by Scientologists and all the hate mail! HH - How much of this have you put on the "Scientology's Stupidest Moments" thread? :biggrin::duh:

Check out the latest review by The Chicago Tribune (4 Stars - it's a video):

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/movies/sc-mov-0918-the-master-20120920,0,7285984.column

HelluvaHoax!

The movie is a fictional narrative. It is not a story about scientology or l. ron hubbard. Yes, it draws on some elements from the life of hubbard to tell its own story, but that is a wholly fictitious tale. Watching it doesn't add one whit to anyone's actual knowledge about hubbard or the church.

You entirely miss the point.

A great work of art (film, painting, play, music....) is one of the most powerful, illuminating and inspiring ways to reach a person's mind and heart.

Learning about Scientology (or any subject) can often be achieved at a far more profound and truthful level by an artistic masterpiece than by reading the literal words of the subject. In fact, in the case of Scientology and Hubbard, because the subject is so loaded with lies and deception from Book I thru the fictional OT levels, the understanding of Scientology is actually crippled by trying to digest the subject's treacherously false and fraudulent representations about itself.

By restricting the learning process to focusing on Hubbard's lies, a grossly distorted view of Scientology results.

A well told narrative that allegorically explains the hoax of Scientology can be of enormous benefit to anyone who wants to get the full picture of what Scientology really is.

Having read your posts for the past few years, I can understand why you would be antipathetic to the use of art as a means of communicating Scientology's fraud. It's very effective and so it's not surprising that you want to re-direct people to Hubbard's materials. This is what Scientology teaches, to always refer people back to "Source".

Unfortunately, Source is a degenerate liar.

I celebrate people learning about cults like Scientology from any and every source they can. The film is already doing great things to open the mainstream discussion about the insidious danger that cults like Scientology can bring into their personal lives.

Sorry, Mark, your protests are of no value because the film has already gone viral. It is one of the best things that has happened to inoculate people against the treachery of L. Ron Hubbard and his deceptive followers.

Last edited:
G

Gottabrain

A great work of art (film, painting, play, music....) is one of the most powerful, illuminating and inspiring ways to reach a person's mind and heart.

Learning about Scientology (or any subject) can often be achieved at a far more profound and truthful level by an artistic masterpiece than by reading the literal words of the subject. ...

A well told narrative that allegorically explains the hoax of Scientology can be of enormous benefit to anyone who wants to get the full picture of what Scientology really is.

I celebrate people learning about cults like Scientology from any and every source they can. The film is already doing great things to open the mainstream discussion about the insidious danger that cults like Scientology can bring into their personal lifes.

:clap: :clap: The film has been interpreted on so many different levels, from a broad society view, to a view of America, that there are some truly inspirational, insightful bits from many reviewers. The Tribune reviewer refers to America's twisted concept of success in the cult leader. (Listen to the vid - he also mentions his hate mail at the end...LOL!) WOW. :wow: Scns today STILL see that twisted THING as success.

But NEVER does a reviewer miss mentioning the film together with Scn. :giggle:

I can't get enough of reading the reviews, they are so insightful on many, many levels. And the film has already caught on like the original Lord of the Rings books - everyone read them in the 60s and 70s, even if they never read any other novels. So it is with The Master.

As Rolling Stones magazine states, the film is a gift to mankind. I enjoyed its use of those words - has such an ironic ring to it that man's greatest gift would be that which exposes what is false.

TG1

Angelic Poster

Fuck Rex Reed! I LOVE THESE TWO REEL GEEZERS -- THEY ARE TERRIFIC!!!!

TG1

BunnySkull

You entirely miss the point.

Learning about Scientology (or any subject) can often be achieved at a far more profound and truthful level by an artistic masterpiece than by reading the literal words of the subject. In fact, in the case of Scientology and Hubbard, because the subject is so loaded with lies and deception from Book I thru the fictional OT levels, the understanding of Scientology is actually crippled by trying to digest the subject's treacherously false and fraudulent representations about itself.

By restricting the learning process to focusing on Hubbard's lies, a grossly distorted view of Scientology results.

Having read your posts for the past few years, I can understand why you would be antipathetic to the use of art as a means of communicating Scientology's fraud. It's very effective and so it's not surprising that you want to re-direct people to Hubbard's materials. This is what Scientology teaches, to always refer people back to "Source".

Unfortunately, Source is a degenerate liar.

I celebrate people learning about cults like Scientology from any and every source they can. The film is already doing great things to open the mainstream discussion about the insidious danger that cults like Scientology can bring into their personal lives.

Sorry, Mark, your protests are of no value because the film has already gone viral. It is one of the best things that has happened to inoculate people against the treachery of L. Ron Hubbard and his deceptive followers.

Exactly. Art can impart the deeper psychological truths of a subject, especially when the subject is loaded with human emotion and motivation, than a strict detailing of the literal facts ever could. The very best art gives you the most profound truths and this is why I was so thrilled a director like P.T. Anderson would tackle this subject.

Besides the very last person you should go to about the "facts" of Scientology is the con man Hubbard. Hubbard and facts are words that don't belong on the same page. He was a man who made up "facts" and "research" out of whole cloth - it was all a product of his speed riddled, overactive imagination. You get the truth about Scientology from it's victims.

HelluvaHoax!

Exactly. Art can impart the deeper psychological truths of a subject, especially when the subject is loaded with human emotion and motivation, than a strict detailing of the literal facts ever could. The very best art gives you the most profound truths and this is why I was so thrilled a director like P.T. Anderson would tackle this subject.

Besides the very last person you should go to about the "facts" of Scientology is the con man Hubbard. Hubbard and facts are words that don't belong on the same page. He was a man who made up "facts" and "research" out of whole cloth - it was all a product of his speed riddled, overactive imagination. You get the truth about Scientology from it's victims.

Perfect! Very cool post.

Trying to acquire knowledge & wisdom by funneling everything life has to offer thru the strangled nano-diameter of one "source" named Hubbard is intellectual and spiritual suicide.

I am laughing my ass off. Is old Rex Reed the best wog they can get to slag the movie? Again, laughing my ass off.
:roflmao::laugh::hysterical::roflmao::laugh::hysterical::roflmao::laugh::hysterical::roflmao::laugh::hysterical::roflmao::laugh::hysterical::roflmao::laugh::hysterical:
Yes... I'm laughing my ass off too. Rex Reed apparently IS the best wog they could get to pan this movie. This is the most anyone has talked about Rex Reed in eons.

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yeah, he's definitely an industry hack. Trying to remember his name I recalled he is the one name you will see with a positive blurb on the worst pieces of crap. Like the go to guy for the guy who will say a "not to miss tour de force" to put in ads when no one else will. (Peter Travers of RS is also the king of ad blurbs for crap.)

I would have chalked it up to his usual anti-intellectual, aggressive BS but I just can't figure why he would actually lie about the reception of the film in Venice & Toronto.

Oh and the poster who thinks it's all paranoia - the only "Tom Cruise" movie he criticized was the one with that SP Nicole - Kubricks "Eyes Wide Shut." Not to get off on another tangent but there are some weird anti-Scientology themes and comments that movie. It was pointed out to me by a few ex SO members online and I thought at the time it was a bit far fetched - until it revealed Kubrick lost his daughter to the cult and that she joined or became enamored around the same time he was able to start production on EWS.

I don't dismiss the cult's tentacles into the entertainment industry in LA - not the top dogs but they feed off the lower on the totem pole types. A good example is VF having to keep it's LA office completely cut off from the latest TC story due to all the known cult leaks and sympathizers in the office.

My uber-wise cult counselor once said, that usually when you are being paranoid, it's all in your head and to relax--- but, when you're dealing with Scientology, there's actually a good chance you are right about what is going on. He's just seen too much crazy stuff.

And I'm glad to see someone else mention Peter Travers... wtf is up with that guy? I always dismiss the accolades for a flick when I see it's coming from him.

Last night, I went to see The Avengers at the $3 movie/pub here... kinda brainless awesome that I felt would be cool before catching The Master. Son is out of town for the weekend, so we won't see it until he gets back next week. Also really kinda interested in Frank and Robot... Langella is kinda brilliant, but I digress...:melodramatic:

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
re: the Geezers...

I think what cracked me up the most was when she said something to the effect that Hoffman was so brilliant, I would have joined his group. From everyone I've talked to who did know the Hubabomination, there was this odd charisma.

Also really interesting to me that they said that the buzz was it being about Scio, but it was only a small part at the end that might identify it as such. The hilarity of this is that all of the cult's denials will just show that it really IS influenced by Scio. If they left it alone, I'm guessing 'the public' would have just sort of went 'meh' or 'whatever' and watched the flick and might have passingly thought of Scio, but not gone much further.. Vehement denials in their usual crazy way is actually going to really point the finger back at the cult.

Since they bungled this so much, I'm guessing folks who do go will start googling...and the pr sites cannot compete with all the stuff out on the web.

I'd say 'footbullet', but I'm thinking it went beyond that.... I now propose the highest of fails... the testiclebullet... yeah... they shot themselves to where they are going to have even a harder time creating the 'next generation'... and it's going to hurt a LOT more than being shot in the foot. :biggrin: or ballbullet for short hehehe