What's new

RIP Amanda Ambrose

Björkist

Silver Meritorious Patron
Shortly after joining staff at NYOrg (1994) there was an event where she was performing (piano and singing). Since I was an expediter I was doing laborish/grunt type work to help set up and met her briefly.

She radiated warm and caring vibes and I always remember the beautiful smile + vibes she gave me as I carried on with my duties (setting up chairs).

Not many people have a smile like that.

RogerB

Crusader
Yeh, Amanda was a High Class Act

Yes, Amanda was a high class act. Very high class, emanating huge amounts of love, and fun, for her fellows. It was always a delight to be in her presence.

I visited with her in Chicago, and then when she moved to NYC.

Fare-thee-well, Amanda.

RogerB

FinallyMe

I remember Amanda's presence on stage - she just occupied the entire room and put her arms out to everyone present. To this day, a phrase from one of her songs is a major driving impetus in my life: "If you don't want me walking on you, get up off the floor." So MANY times, I've hauled myself up off the floor because of Amanda, her presence, and her talent. I'm certain that she is wrapped in huge, loving arms at this moment, and loving right back.

FinallyFree

Gold Meritorious Patron
Shortly after joining staff at NYOrg (1994) there was an event where she was performing (piano and singing). Since I was an expediter I was doing laborish/grunt type work to help set up and met her briefly.

She radiated warm and caring vibes and I always remember the beautiful smile + vibes she gave me as I carried on with my duties (setting up chairs).

Not many people have a smile like that.

HCO Bring Pizza! ROFL!!!! As an ex member of HCO - I got a GREAT laugh outta this! THANK YOU!

RIP Amanda. You will be missed.

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
Yes, Amanda was a wonderful person, a great singer and teacher.

Leslie Epstein once told me that even though Amanda was OEC/FEBC trained, Hubbard (in a moment of complete sanity) told her that he didn't want her Exec'ing in a Scientology Org, her hat in life was Singer.

She was a Singer Of Songs, par excellence.

Sing on, beautiful one. :flowers:

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yes, Amanda was a wonderful person, a great singer and teacher.

Leslie Epstein once told me that even though Amanda was OEC/FEBC trained, Hubbard (in a moment of complete sanity) told her that he didn't want her Exec'ing in a Scientology Org, her hat in life was Singer.

She was a Singer Of Songs, par excellence.

Sing on, beautiful one. :flowers:

Didn't she appear in Sydney org in the late 70s/early 80s, Panda?

I'm sure I remember seeing her live in either Lee Street or in Castlereagh St in the early days there.

She sure had a lot of presence, as most people on this thread have commented.:yes:

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
Didn't she appear in Sydney org in the late 70s/early 80s, Panda?

I'm sure I remember seeing her live in either Lee Street or in Castlereagh St in the early days there.

She sure had a lot of presence, as most people on this thread have commented.:yes:
Leslie Epstein was based in Sydney (AO) for a while, I'm not sure about Amanda.
I met Amanda at Flag several times and she was wonderfully warm and giving.
She shared much of her unique knowledge of vocal technique with me, even after her stroke.
To me, she was one of the best amongst us.

Tim Skog

I met her just once in NYC, and from the one meeting, I would say she is the most warm-hearted and loving person I have ever met. I loved her voice, but I loved her heart and soul even more. When I think of her, I will have to think of a star in the night sky.

Gus

Patron with Honors
I have very fond memories of her, when I was a little kid. She always performed at the NY Org events, and I'd be there with my parents. That was before the 6X/year "International Events" we have now. All the orgs did their own local thing. She was very sweet to me, and to everyone around her. My mom knew her well. A wonderful lady.

tobb

If you liked Amanda's music and miss her check out her youngest daughter and namesake Amanda Strawn ... she's on you tube!

What's It All About

Patron with Honors
With very few exceptions, "Scientology celebrities," from a position of comfort (financial and social), chose to turn their heads to the abuses in the Scientology cult.

Wouldn't it have been nice if more of Scientology's "celebrity class" had chosen not to look the other way?

A lot of people - including children - who were abused, might not have been, if this special class of Scientology members, with their extra freedom, and extra influence, had spoken up.

I know someone who knew her in the 60s when her children were young. This person said she was disturbed by how she treated her own children.

She was a very fine, powerful entertainer, but that's not what it takes to be a good parent. People can have a very charismatic public facade and a very disturbing private side.

Her son Tony is serving a LIFE SENTENCE for molesting his two step-daughters. True, he's black and may have been prosecuted in the racist state of Florida. But what do you have to do to get a life sentence for this crime?

I saw a post in which someone said that he got into similar "trouble" on the Apollo. So what was he doing that wasn't being reported then?

Evidently his ex-wife was also a $cientologist and she was pressured to not prosecute him. Luckily, she didn't buckle down. But I have to wonder how he may have been treated since $cientologists aren't always known for hands-on care of or compassion for their children if they put the demands of the "church" ahead of their parental responsibilities.

He may have been a molestation victim himself. I guess we'll never know unless someone can interview him while he's in prison.

And since some $cientologists are delusional enough to think that the "church" can do their children nothing but good, they may also be delusional enough to think that surrendering their parental responsibilities to the "church" may be the very best gift they can give their children.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Amanda, who as far as I'm aware was a single mother and who toured often, didn't give her son into the care of the "church" both for expedience's sake and due to her idealism.

Regardless, this is a tragic outcome. I guess somehow the omnipotence that is $cientology couldn't manage to help this young man or to keep his life oriented in a positive way.

BunnySkull

I'm sure Tony's crimes could have easily been used as leverage, by the cult, against Amanda.

I'd read a lot about Tony and the fucked up things he did, but until I read this thread today I never knew his mom was a scieno celeb but now the cover ups and protection that went on by the cult until his ultimate conviction make more sense. I mean they will cover up crimes to avoid a flap but then 86 the member causing the problem, makes sense now why Tony was able to remain.

Also, while I think the cult can lead to bad or neglectful parenting - if Tony was a true pedophile I don't think that's something you can lay on his mothers door, since it can be a disposition some with the best parents have. The only exception would be if her neglect resulted in Tony being molested as a child and he was repeating the abuse cycle as an adult, that can definitely be blamed on bad parenting.

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
I know someone who knew her in the 60s when her children were young. This person said she was disturbed by how she treated her own children.

She was a very fine, powerful entertainer, but that's not what it takes to be a good parent. People can have a very charismatic public facade and a very disturbing private side.

Her son Tony is serving a LIFE SENTENCE for molesting his two step-daughters. True, he's black and may have been prosecuted in the racist state of Florida. But what do you have to do to get a life sentence for this crime?

You are incorrect on two accounts. It is idiotic to claim the entire state of Florida is racist. There are many residents there who despise racism & fight it every chance they get. Racism can be found in every state in the U.S., not just Florida. I lived there for many years myself and I am not a racist.

Secondly, Donald (Tony Ambrose) Strawn was never given a life sentence for his crimes. He received 30 years in prison, on 4 counts, to be served concurrently.

He is scheduled to be released next year.

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...logy-child-abuser-from-being-released-in-2013

What's It All About

Patron with Honors
You are incorrect on two accounts. It is idiotic to claim the entire state of Florida is racist. There are many residents there who despise racism & fight it every chance they get. Racism can be found in every state in the U.S., not just Florida. I lived there for many years myself and I am not a racist.

Secondly, Donald (Tony Ambrose) Strawn was never given a life sentence for his crimes. He received 30 years in prison, on 4 counts, to be served concurrently.

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...logy-child-abuser-from-being-released-in-2013

It appears that he's out now and lives in ... Clearwater, Florida. See:

http://offender.fdle.state.fl.us/offender/flyer.do?personId=11790

Perhaps they'll put him to work again. He could tell an interesting tale or two, but after his conviction, probably no one would believe him.

What's It All About

Patron with Honors

Thank you for correcting my errors. Of course, there are countless people who are not racist, even in states that have a reputation for racism. However, there are legitimate reasons for the claim that Florida is a racist state:

Average Black Victims of Lynchings per year per 100,000 Blacks 1882-1930:

Florida/ 79.8
Mississippi/ 52.8
Georgia/ 41.8
Louisiana/ 43.7
Alabama/ 32.4
South Carolina/ 18.8
Tennessee/ 38.4
Arkansas/ 42.6
Kentucky/ 45.7
North Carolina/ 11.0

However, here's another list in which Florida doesn't appear in the top ten most racist states:

http://tsminteractive.com/study-reveals-what-may-be-the-most-racist-state-in-the-country/
"Most racist states
1. West Virginia
2. Louisiana
3. Pennsylvania
4. Mississippi
5. Kentucky
6. Michigan
7. Ohio
8. South Carolina
9. Alabama
10. New Jersey"

Interesting that northern states like Michigan, New Jersey and Pennsylvania are listed among the most racist.

This list also includes the least racist:
[h=3]"Least racist states[/h]1. Utah
2. Hawaii
3. Colorado
4. New Mexico
5. Idaho
6. Washington, DC
7. Minnesota
8. Oregon
9. Montana
10. Wyoming"

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thank you for correcting my errors. Of course, there are countless people who are not racist, even in states that have a reputation for racism. However, there are legitimate reasons for the claim that Florida is a racist state:

Average Black Victims of Lynchings per year per 100,000 Blacks 1882-1930:

Florida/ 79.8
Mississippi/ 52.8
Georgia/ 41.8
Louisiana/ 43.7
Alabama/ 32.4
South Carolina/ 18.8
Tennessee/ 38.4
Arkansas/ 42.6
Kentucky/ 45.7
North Carolina/ 11.0

However, here's another list in which Florida doesn't appear in the top ten most racist states:

http://tsminteractive.com/study-reveals-what-may-be-the-most-racist-state-in-the-country/
"Most racist states
1. West Virginia
2. Louisiana
3. Pennsylvania
4. Mississippi
5. Kentucky
6. Michigan
7. Ohio
8. South Carolina
9. Alabama
10. New Jersey"

Interesting that northern states like Michigan, New Jersey and Pennsylvania are listed among the most racist.

This list also includes the least racist:
[h=3]"Least racist states[/h]1. Utah
2. Hawaii
3. Colorado
4. New Mexico
5. Idaho
6. Washington, DC
7. Minnesota
8. Oregon
9. Montana
10. Wyoming"

Oh, hell yeah there's racism up North, and not just in Pennsyltucky, either. My daughter ran into it as early as kindergarten.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP

Average Black Victims of Lynchings per year per 100,000 Blacks 1882-1930: <snip>

You're going to characterize a state as racist in the present based upon data that's 83-131 years old?

Florida's gone through a bit of change since than. :yes:

Back in 1900 there were 1681 people living in Miami.

Last edited: