What's new

rm * -- Sorry John, I deleted your entire directory!

Mest Lover

Not Sea Org Qualified
This one I just remembered while doing the 900 one.

CLO EUS only had an 80mb hard drive on their main UNIX computer in 1990. It filled up rather quickly, particularly with the keylogger I had programmed and built into all my other programs.

I had to do cleaning maintenance on it regularly so it wouldn't run out of space. I tar'ed everything I could and deleted vast chunks of wasted space.

1 night, I was deleting some stuff and accidentally used a * in the A-Data Aide's directory because I forgot to change to where I wanted to do that. OOOOPS, I wiped out the entire A-Data Aide's directory.

I had to try to rebuild it and do an amends for John after that. Boy was he pissed when I told him what happened.

That was the day I started to learn how to do tar backups to floppies instead of directories on the computer only. I always had 5 sets of Tared backups of the entire computer system after that. I would run a backup every 3rd or 4th night.

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist

CLO EUS only had an 80mb hard drive on their main UNIX computer in 1990. It filled up rather quickly, particularly with the keylogger I had attached to all my programs.

I had to do cleaning maintenance on it regularly so it wouldn't run out of space. I tar'ed everything I could and deleted vast chunks of wasted space.

1 night, I was deleting some stuff and accidentally used a * in the A-Data Aide's directory because I forgot to change to where I wanted to do that. OOOOPS, I wiped out the entire
A-Data Aide's directory.

I had to try to rebuild it and do an amends for John after that. Boy was he pissed when I told him what happened.

That was the day I started to learn how to do tar backups to floppies instead of directories on the computer only. I always had 5 sets of Tared backups of the entire computer system after that. I would run a backup every 3rd or 4th night.

Backups to floppies? Are you kidding me?
They didn't use tape drives back then?

Mest Lover

Not Sea Org Qualified
Backups to floppies? Are you kidding me?
They didn't use tape drives back then?

The rest of the world did, but CLO EUS! hah! NOPE!

I went out and bought my own huge supply of floppies with my meager $30.00 paycheck. I would buy a few more each time we got paid until I had enough to maintain a huge backup system.

Nobody in the place knew how to work that computer, the comm chief knew a little about it but his TELEX computers were DOS based and not UNIX. He had no clue what I was doing on that machine. They didn't do anything with it after I started to learn how to program it and make it easy for them to work. I found the SYS Admin manuals in his cupboard one day and started reading them. I taught myself shell script from that, then used the online manual and taught myself C so I could do the real number crunching, the bourne shell they had was hard to do arrays with, I had weird workarounds for that until I learned C then I was able to build array structures again.

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
The rest of the world did, but CLO EUS! hah! NOPE!

I went out and bought my own huge supply of floppies with my meager $30.00 paycheck. I would buy a few more each time we got paid until I had enough to maintain a huge backup system.

Nobody in the place knew how to work that computer, the comm chief knew a little about it but his TELEX computers were DOS based and not UNIX. He had no clue what I was doing on that machine. They didn't do anything with it after I started to learn how to program it and make it easy for them to work. I found the SYS Admin manuals in his cupboard one day and started reading them. I taught myself shell script from that, then used the online manual and taught myself C so I could do the real number crunching, the bourne shell they had was hard to do arrays with, I had weird workarounds for that until I learned C then I was able to build array structures again.

YOU bought the floppies out of your own paycheck?!
Well, I guess that I shouldn't be surprised.
Any WOG company would have already taken care of that in their own budget.

The stories of SCN staff self-sacrifice never end.
What a bunch of mgmt cult jerks.

Mest Lover

Not Sea Org Qualified
YOU bought the floppies out of your own paycheck?!
Well, I guess that I shouldn't be surprised.
Any WOG company would have already taken care of that in their own budget.

The stories of SCN staff self-sacrifice never end.
What a bunch of cult jerks.

I gave up CSW'ing for anything, they always turned me down.
I wasn't their computer programmer either, I was their resident idiot Security Chief.

Above the surface I played mild mannered idiot who was a total bumblefuck. Below the surface at night I was programming the hell out of their computer and not letting on how much I knew. I had a part to play in their circus and none of it involved them realizing that I could actually think.

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
I gave up CSW'ing for anything, they always turned me down.
I wasn't their computer programmer either, I was their resident idiot Security Chief.

Above the surface I played mild mannered idiot who was a total bumblefuck. Below the surface at night I was programming the hell out of their computer and not letting on how much I knew. I had a part to play in their circus and none of it involved them realizing that I could actually think.

I hope that in all that, in the aftermath, you can now be a unix admin.
Or did you ditch that and do something else for a job after you blew?

Mest Lover

Not Sea Org Qualified
I hope that in all that, in the aftermath, you can now be a unix admin.
Or did you ditch that and do something else for a job after you blew?

I didn't blow, I forced them to get rid of me.

I took any job I heard about, and did computer consulting for my employers, and then by word of mouth. I ran a BBS for a while, helped develop some computer BBS door games, Ultimate Universe was one of them.

Eventually I have boiled it down to 3 jobs that I love very much, 1 involves computer work, the other 2 have some computer work involved but are mainly MEST work which I love to do I get paid more for the MEST work.

I had 1 company that was interested in me for their sysadmin on their UNIX network. That came up at the very same time I was in the middle of my 3rd interview and drug testing for 1 of my current jobs. It was seriously hard to do but I turned the computer job down. I am very happy with that decision now however.

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free

CLO EUS only had an 80mb hard drive on their main UNIX computer in 1990. It filled up rather quickly, particularly with the keylogger I had programmed and built into all my other programs.

1 night, I was deleting some stuff and accidentally used a * in the A-Data Aide's directory because I forgot to change to where I wanted to do that. OOOOPS, I wiped out the entire A-Data Aide's directory.

Do you still have all those backups? What kind of data would be on them that would be of interest to others - like in incriminating data? :D Just curious.

Mary McConnell

Mest Lover

Not Sea Org Qualified
Do you still have all those backups? What kind of data would be on them that would be of interest to others - like in incriminating data? :D Just curious.

Mary McConnell

Great question! Hmmmmm. I can tell you they never saw them and didn't know I was doing that.
I didn't search for everything, perhaps there was a lot of stuff in that computer I never saw.

But then again, that was CLO EUS, I really feel it was the dump of CLO's. They seemed to send every out ethics piece of trash there to run the place (am I included in that, not sure).

Dave Henderson seemed to be different though, but then again, my opinion there didn't count so who knows why he was there.

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Great question! Hmmmmm. I can tell you they never saw them and didn't know I was doing that.
I didn't search for everything, perhaps there was a lot of stuff in that computer I never saw.

But then again, that was CLO EUS, I really feel it was the dump of CLO's. They seemed to send every out ethics piece of trash there to run the place (am I included in that, not sure).

Dave Henderson seemed to be different though, but then again, my opinion there didn't count so who knows why he was there.

Do I need to do a 'TR3'...? lol