ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Russia's list of LRH "extremist" works

Discussion in 'Europe' started by mnql1, Jul 29, 2010.

1. mnql1

mnql1 Patron Meritorious

The Russian Federation's official list of prohibited extremist materials is available online (in Russian):

http://www.minjust.ru/ru/activity/nko/fedspisok/

This list contains 29 items by L. Ron Hubbard, numbered 632 to 660. Three of the 29 items are possibly duplicates (642 and 655, 645 and 656, 647 and 660). All 29 items were added to the list as a result of the March 26, 2010 decision of the Surgut City Court in the Khanty-Mansi Autonomous Okrug — Yugra.

The preamble to the list mentions Article 13 of Federal Law 114 "On Counteraction of Extremist Activities". An English version of Article 13 is reproduced further down after the excerpt from the federal list.

In a July 29, 2010 article on Marty Rathbun's blog, independent Scientologist Max Hauri commented on the situation in Russia:
    http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2010/07/29/russia/

On July 13, 2010, a Russian court decided that Scientology may proceed with its appeal of the Surgut city court's ruling that LRH writings are extremist and should be banned in Russia.

Here is the list of LRH materials:

Article 13 of Federal Law 114 "On Counteraction of Extremist Activities"
    Source: http://www.legislationline.org/documents/id/4368

Snapshot of two portions of the Russian Federation's official list of prohibited extremist materials. This snapshot shows the top of the list and the portion containing the LRH items 632 to 660.

[​IMG]

2. AnonyMary

AnonyMary Formerly Fooled - Finally Free

Wow! And it's clear from that post on Marty's blog that the independents in Russia are aiding the scilons in stopping this! :omg:

3. mnql1

mnql1 Patron Meritorious

Response of Anonymous to Russian prohibition of LRH works

Response of Anonymous to the Russian prohibition of LRH works, cross-posted from WWP:

"Don't Ban Books" - Anonymous Condemns Russian Censorship - Why We Protest Wiki

4. Mystic

Mystic Crusader

I do not support that the crap spewed by the Hubbard entity has any so-called "right" to exist whatsoever. It will all be gone in its time, I assure you.

There are several countries doing a pretty good job containing the Hubbard cancer, Russia is one of them.

5. VaD

VaD Gold Meritorious Patron

Go Russia!

:happydance: Go Russia! :happydance:

This time Russian government kicked some serious ass. :yes: :clap: :D

From how I see it, it's only illegal to produce, disseminate and store for dissemination these materials ... And it's not illegal to own or buy or read them.
    There won't be 'witch hunts' but rather judicial assistance to law enforcement in removing scientology from a larger scale
    of things... it won't affect individuals who are reaching for it... as yet.
    It's also good in a way that those scilons will be forced to seek their beloved Hubbard's spew in the Internet, thus running into dark side of $cn (and eventually, getting both sides of thing).

It's a far-reaching step to root out $cn in a good way.

I'm all for it. :thumbsup:

6. Mystic

Mystic Crusader

Thanks for your clarifications, Vadim. Very neat how that works out.

Go Russia!

7. fortymarriedandbalding

fortymarriedandbalding Patron with Honors

I think even this is going too far. The right to diseminate is the right to have your freedom of speach re hubbards works.

List it as extremist by all means, but let it be sold and distributed.

Prosecute only for planning or carrying out crimes promoted by hubbards writings.

Unfortunately the greatest crime was never written about - that the whole thing is a scam and people destroy theri lives and others for a pipe-dream

8. Panda Termint

Panda Termint Cabal Of One

I don't like the idea of banning Hubbard's works, I think it's a draconian prohibition.

9. Book banning is ridiculous, but this is what the Totalitarian mindset of Hubbard's followers bring upon themselves. I can't think of any other group which operates with such blatant disregard for the law outside of organized crime and terrorist networks.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  10. Well, my feelings are mixed on this...

Well, I say with Vadim, go Russia, for an attempt to control criminality inside their borders...

COS, Corporate Scientology is a form of organized crime operating under the cover of "a religious authority". I say, question authority!

But having said that, I'm not for banning books or information, even when it is space opera.

I don't want this situation to turn into another Fa Lun Gong! :nervous: :no:

That handling is just wrong! :yes:

So if Russia can contain COS without destroying individual freedom to look and learn, then I say, more power to them! :)

I'm glad that governments are being more vigilant about the harm that cults can do to their citizens when fully established as legal entities.

I wish AMERICA would!!! :thumbsup:

11. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

Maybe the CofS people over there will refer the members of their flock (poor flockers?) to the various bootleg online versions instead. :).

Would that be illegal over there too, or is it just the printed versions that are taboo? I note that all 18 of the current "basics" books are included.

Paul

12. VaD

VaD Gold Meritorious Patron

This ruling is no nonsense.

Even if it's not enforced (and so far in Russia we have police and FSB onto more serious things than minor cults and sects) it will help gullible youngsters from being recruited... They will think twice before going in.
    If we had had that ruling when I was joining, I wouldn't have gone there.

Materials are the *key* of dissemination and subsequent recruiting/sales. It's per LRH policy.
    Cutting that line stops massive dissemination and distribution, thus stops expansion in its tracks for real.

*IF* it gets enforced then who will be in trouble? - NOT citizens who own, read and buy... It will be New Era Russia, booksellers, and Churches and Missions (as legal entities) for , disseminating and storing . NOT the members personally.
    I don't think libraries will be raided.

Anyway, I still believe it's a good way to go.

As to outcomes, we will see soon.
    Minimally (since Church protests this ruling) it will cause further investigations into Church's operations. :)

13. Here, here!