Salon.com- Secrets of the Scientologists: Why people do horrible things for belief

mawena

Patron with Honors
Re: Salon.com- Secrets of the Scientologists: Why people do horrible things for belie

This article is currently the top on Salon.com.

If any ex-scions are inclined it would be great to have some personal stories in the comments other than the usual "don't all relgions do this?" nonsense.

Intentionally Blank

Scientology Widow
Re: Salon.com- Secrets of the Scientologists: Why people do horrible things for belie

Excerpts:

Once a person has killed for an idea, their ethical opinion of themselves relies on embracing that idea.

In the language of the Mafia, says Gourevitch, “a person who has become invested in the logic and practices of the gang is said to be owned by it.” When Jason Beghe, an actor and ex-Scientologist featured in “Going Clear,” describes the strange sensation of self-policing — “the best traps are when you get a guy to keep himself in jail” — he sounds remarkably like Nyilinkwara. Once a person has acted on a belief, they don’t need to be continually pressured. Ex-Scientologists who alleged that they were placed in “The Hole,” a holding facility in California where upper-level church members were held and beaten, found themselves actually fighting to stay there.

Scientology’s persuasiveness is not in the logic of its beliefs but in its ability to control behavior. People believe in Xenu and thetans because it becomes exceedingly difficult not to in light of all they have committed to the church.

Excellent article. Well worth the read.

everfree

Patron Meritorious

I think that article is the most insightful I have read yet by a media outlet about the indoctrination and conversion process. The "Young Turks" did pretty well too.

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader

Excellent article. Well worth the read.

Totally concur Blanky, I like that the writer didn't go all Godwin to explain it, but rather used a more recent example too. A well thought out piece pretty much free of hyperbole imho.

Thank you newbie Mawena for posting this, and a hearty belated :welcome:

:cheers: