Santa Fe

byte301

Crusader
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to post my story. It's not too long or exciting but I am hoping to find some old friends by posting it.

I got into Scientology around 1975 in Santa Fe, NM. The mission holder was Bob Anderson, his wife was Sherry Anderson. They are probably both still in the Church but not certain. If anyone has any info on them I would love to find out how they are doing. The course sup was Phil Jester and his wife Molly was the reg. They have both left the Church. I keep in touch with Molly, who asked for a refund, so I am sure she was declared. Laurie Dickenson was on staff but I am not sure what her post was. Mike and Sue Gaddis were on staff also. They were all really nice ppl and I miss them. We had a lot of fun...I later found out that fun was the exception in Scientology, rather then the rule. lol "If it's not fun, it not Scientology." Wut???

Bob closed down the mission around 1977, I believe, and everyone moved to Albuquerque. I stayed in Santa Fe for awhile, going to Albuquerque to do any courses.

I joined the Sea Org in 1978. I blew the day after I got to AOLA. :roflmao:

Before I went to LA I told Sherry Anderson that I had joined the SO and was gonna be in the TTC and she told me I'd better get it in writing. I didn't see why I should since these ppl were ethical Scientologists after all! Well, my bad.

As soon as I got to AOLA Enid Byrne informed me that I wasn't qualified to be on the TTC since I was just a Student Hat completion. But, of course, I would contribute to saving the planet in "other", just as important, ways. I very quickly got that I had been royally screwed over. I was pretty pissed off and in shock. I couldn't believe that the "Elite" would do this to me! So that night I went and spent the night with a buddy of mine at the apartments across the street from the Manor. The next morning I hauled all my crap down the street and called a taxi. I knew they would look for me at the airport so I went to the bus station and caught the next bus headed for Albuquerque. Talk about a long ride! Found out later that they sent Dot (can't remember her last name) to the airport to find me. She spent all day there. Sorry, Dot.

When I got back home I was told by Bill Johannson, the ED, that the SO said if I didn't go back and handle my blow they would declare me and I would get a freeloader's debt! Ha! A freeloader's debt? For what? I didn't sleep in any of their crappy beds and they should have paid ME for the meal I ate there! Yeah, it was THAT bad.

(I found out later that I really didn't need to go back since I hadn't completed any of the Staff Status courses or whatever they are, so they lied...AGAIN!)

I didn't want to get declared so back I go. When I get there Enid Byrne is waiting for me and is SHE pissed. She starts yelling at me the minute I walk in about someone burning down an org in Canada and how could I blow when shit like that is going on, blah blah blah. Hey Enid...I didn't burn down the damn org, all I did was blow! So I am put in treason and I am not to leave the grounds and I am to live in Enid's room with Enid. The good news was I didn't have to go to berthing...the bad news was that I was living with Enid.

I was treated like shit by pretty much everyone. They made me and another out ethics girl hang out together at first. She was a call girl from S. Carolina. :yes: She had told Enid that she was a call girl on the phone when they were setting up her arrival from S. Carolina. Enid thought that a call girl was someone who danced with men for money. I almost fell out of my chair laughing when I heard that! So she was told she was good to go and drove to LA. She ended up going back to S. Carolina since she wasn't deemed fit for the SO.

I worked on my ethics for a few weeks and then one night Enid came in the room with 2 guys. She told me, using some ARC for the first time, that she was being sent to the RPF. Since I was a n00b I didn't really know what the RPF was except that Enid's husband had put himself in the RPF to get his case handled. That's what she had told me!! hahaha So I said that I was really happy for her since now she got to be with her husband. Was I a dumb ass or what? Snap!

Well, the minute Enid gets sent to the RPF everyone kinda lightens up on me and I am told that I WILL be in the TTC and it was all Enid's fault anyway since she is a big SP and so on. I was totally pissed off at Enid for a quite a few years but in hind sight I am sure she was just overwhelmed like everyone else in the SO.

I was put on the receptionist post after I got my ethics done. Hated it. Would get calls from family members all the time looking for their disconnected love ones. It sucked. I told a couple of them whether or not their family member was on lines at AOLA or not. They just had the saddest stories, ya know? Big withhold for me, lol . By then I was pretty sure I wasn't going to stay, had blown from course, and felt that the SO was a dangerous place to be. I was also pissed off because they were demanding that we all contribute $5.00 for Ron's birthday present! I figured Ron had pretty much anything he could want already and I was making $17.00 a week so wtf? There were no washing machines at the compound at the time so I had to walk quite a ways to a landry...that I had to pay for out of my $17.00 a week salary. So the $5.00 to Ron was adding insult to injury. I had also donated $1,000.00 to some book drive before I went into the SO so it was all starting to get on my last nerve. I kept asking myself when enough would be enough with the money thing. I was also observing the older staff and wondering how long they could keep working 16 hours a day let alone all nighters. And what would happen to them when they couldn't do it any more. Well, found that out just recently by reading the stories and didn't like it at all. That could have been me in Florida rotting in my old age. Or "offloaded", or even asked to EOC! :angry:

After about 4 months I was ready to leave. I knew that the SO was going to save the planet but I just couldn't stand all the anger, back biting, yelling etc. I felt like a complete failure when I blew again. But I also, deep down inside felt relieved to get out of there. Now I know that I saved myself from years of waste.

I went back to Albuquerque and told them that I was not going back...no how, no way. Plus I STILL hadn't done Staff Status anything (on purpose) so I knew I didn't have to go back. I did my ethics stuff in Albuquerque and eventually joined staff there parttime. I was given the Ethics Officer post and made the LRH Comm later since I was one of very few who hadn't done LSD. lol I wasn't trained and had gotten very little auditing. I had to stand in front of everyone one night and tell them that LRH didn't actually read their letters to him. Then I had to pass out paper and tell them to send LRH a letter!:roflmao: THAT was fun! Lots of good indicators in the room that night...not. One night I got an order to mock up an office for LRH and do it NOW! I was pretty certain by that time that LRH was never gonna be visiting the Org so I just ignored the order. Someone else fixed up his office and I got in trouble for not following orders. By then I couldn't have cared less. The whole thing was a mess at the Org. I finally blew again.

Later I went back at the insistance of my employer, who was also a Scientologist. I got comm ev'd and had to go to FOLO. While I was there the new ED, Patty Baber, was also being comm ev'd. We were good friends and they had us doing all kinds of mest work to degrade us by putting us in our place. We would hear the CO FOLO (can't remember her name) coming down the hall screaming at the top of her lungs. We would both make a mad dash for the back door and hide whereever we could. Good times. I was called as a witness to Patty's comm ev and it soon became apparent that they had already made up their minds she was guilty. She had gotten trained in LA, came back to Alb. and was putting in some policy called Org Program No. 1 or something like that. Sorry, been a long time and I forget which policy it was exactly but it said something about the hell with the rules, get the show on the road. I guess putting in that policy was a high crime. lol I was in complete agreement with Patty so maybe that's why I got comm ev'd too...can't remember for sure. Anyway, I lied in the comm ev cuz they asked me what Patty had said about her replacement on the ED post. She had said that the person wasn't trained but that she hoped it worked out for her. Well, that would have been seen as nattering although Patty was sincere and meant what she said about hoping it worked out. So I lied and said she just said she thought the new ED was a good choice. Well, they looked at me like they thought I was full of shit. they were right, I was full of shit, but I figured they were too. lmao It was pretty much at that moment, facing about 8 angry ppl that I felt I had to lie to, who were part of the group I was in, but were acting like a freakin lynch mob, that I decided I was pretty much done. We were all in this together, right? So why were they attacking someone who had been nothing but loyal to the group? Patty was a true Scientologist, of that I had no doubt. She prolly still is. I went through my comm ev of which I remember very little. I was found guilty but could be salvaged was the conclusion, I guess. It was pretty anti climatic after Patty's comm ev. One thing that made me laugh was when they asked me if I would join the SO later on down the line. I said no way. I really enjoyed the looks on their faces. I then booked it back to Albuquerque and left staff soon after.

After a couple more years of hanging in I just quietly left. That was 1985, I think. I had gone to the EO at the Org and told him that I was more then likely a no case gain. It wasn't an easy thing to admit but I was having a rough time on course. He patted me on the back and totally ignored me. lol
Looking back on it I don't think he even knew what a no case gain was! He wasn't trained either. So I picked up my books, left my e meter on the table and walked out. Haven't been back since. I was done. I was actually done after Patty's comm ev but just couldn't seem to totally leave.

I don't regret the years I spent in Scientology. I had some wins, met a bunch of really great ppl, had some lulz as Anon would say. But the longer I was in the more I realized that the reason I got in was never gonna happen. A clear planet? Not even close. Case handled? Don't think so. I didn't lose any family, did lose all my friends though. Lost my idealism, some money, self confidence, my religion, my bridge. I was pretty caved in but knew that the Church prolly wouldn't make it after LRH died anyway and I had been caved in since the comm ev thing so I was used to it.

I just went on with my life as best I could. Got married, got a job with a non-Scientologist company, and so on. A couple of years ago I bought a tape on Ebay about the Church...not sure why I did since I had avoided the mere mention of Scientolgy since I'd left. Well, the tape pretty much confirmed what I had arrived at over the years. Ron was a liar and con man, etc. At that point I knew that even if I DID win the lottery, I was never going to go back and do any Scientology! lol That was the hope I clung to for many years...that someday, somehow I would be able to get to Flag and really get my case handled. Talk about flip flopping. One day I didn't believe Scientology and a day later I was buying a lottery ticket so I could go DO Scientology. Be careful what u wish for, huh?

A couple of weeks ago, through a buddy of mine, I heard about Anonymous vs Scientology and started checking it out. Wow, what an eye opener! I spent about a week reading about the Church and what they have been up to since I blew. Was flabbergasted to put it mildly. I knew things weren't right when I left but I had no idea the Church had turned into the demented pack of criminals that it is today. Glad I got out when I did. I was one of the lucky ones. I got out half way sane...hurt but sane.

I have never talked about Scientology to anyone since I left so many years ago. Thanks for letting me vent and thanks for having this site so ppl like me can finally tell their story!

I hope someone out there knows where Bob, Sherry, Laurie, Sue and Mike and anyone else from Santa Fe is now.

Best wishes to all,

byte301

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Wow, it was longer then I thought! Sorry! :whistling:

byte301

No need for 'sorry' :)

Us old volks like long stories.

Feel free to add more. Everything helps fill in the holes in the Scientology Story, which is *mostly* holes.

Zinj

Wisened One

Crusader
Welcome to ESMB, byte. Wow, what a story, crazy stuff in the SO, eh? I was only on Staff at a Class V Org for a few years, but what I observed and experienced was ENOUGH for me.....!

GLAD you didn't work the life outta yourself by staying any longer!

Hubby and I left together back in 1995, and every time we get calls, especially late on Sat/Sun nights...we always realize that we are SO HAPPY we are FREE of that group....cuz WE would STILL be there doing call-in, Promo, etc. on our Sat/Sun nights too:yes:

Yet instead, we're off shopping or seeing movies or laughing it up with good friends having a beer, cooking out...gee isn't that stuff MUCH funner to do?:D

Goldenrod

Patron with Honors
Welcome, Byte, glad you finally got the hell out of there. Not a sane or safe place to be.

Feel free to communicate more if you have more to communicate, at your leisure.

Be well.

Pixie

Crusader
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to post my story. It's not too long or exciting but I am hoping to find some old friends by posting it.

I hope someone out there knows where Bob, Sherry, Laurie, Sue and Mike and anyone else from Santa Fe is now.

Best wishes to all,

byte301

Hello Byte, welcome and I thought your story was great. Looking forward to some new posts and I really hope you find your friends again. No one's judging your story for being 'too long' or 'exciting', your story is your story and all of the stories are important. We were all demened, all treated like shit for the most part, and that leaves scars, it's normal. Well done to you for doing so well on the out. For sure, even up until a few months back I used to have that same fantasy about winning the lottery and having my 'case' handled, phew!! Thank god we woke up! :thumbsup: Best Wishes :)

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Welcome Byte! That's a very comprehensive tale, and I'm glad you found ESMB. Just knowing there are others who understand not only the lingo, but also that the words typed are the tip of the iceberg too, is very helpful. :thumbsup:
I look forward to reading more!

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
Welcome, Byte.

I think I knew Patty. If it's the same person. I knew her in LA in the late 80s/ early 90s. I think at one time she was declared, but handled it and was back on service. No PT data though.

byte301

Crusader
I'd like to thank everyone for the warm welcome!

Zinjfar, You are so right. Us old folks do love long stories, probably to everyone else's chagrin! lol

Goldenrod, I agree, it wasn't a safe or sane place at all. Thanks for your encouragement. Hmmm, that reminds me...I never got my goldenrod! Well, the Albuquerque Org was so understaffed that they never even posted money in or out, usually, let alone having time to issue declares. :)

Wisened One, Yep, those Saturday nites stuffing envelopes! hahaha That was the highlight of my week. My social life is much better now, but it could be fun sometimes. We worked up a landshark routine doing mail outs that used to crack us all up every time! lol Then some shit head would come in and tell us all to stop with the dev t and get back to work. :no:

Pixie, Thank you so much for your welcome. Love your avatar btw! I was just wondering...what the heck are we gonna do with all that money we win in the lottery now? Think I'll donate a bunch of my winnings to Anon. lol

Free to shine, Yeah, the lingo. I had to drop all the Scientology words when I went out into the "wog" world. It was hard. Now, since reading this board, I have had to re-learn it all! hahaha It all came back to me pretty quickly though. And it is great having ppl that know what I am talking about. I have noticed that Anon is getting really proficient in the vocabulary.

I'm Out, Patty joined the SO at ASHO and got married but I can't remember her married name or what her post was. The last time I talked to her was in Portland for the big protest thing. She had a little girl named Rachel and I have always wondered how Rachel fared in the SO since the care for kids wasn't good back then. Patty was a great person and friend and I hope she got out. She went to Alaska at one point and called me from there. Someone had talked to her about Mayo's group and joining them. (I am just guessing it was Mayo's group, she didn't tell me that) I talked her out of joining them. I have sooo regretted that. She was in a bad way at the time. She had gone to Alaska after meeting this guy in LA and getting into a 2D with him. They were going to get married when she got there. I think he was the ED at that Org. Well, she got there, got a job, a place to live and so on. Then he tells her it's off. Says something about thinking she was a bigger thetan then she was or something like that. She was devastated. I would still like to kick his ass for that. So there she is in Alaska with her daughter, no friends, etc. It was bad. But there are so many stories like that. Anyway, I sure hope Patty is out there somewhere and finds this board! I appreciate your feedback, I'm Out. It sure IS good to be out! :D

ooo's and xxx's from another sp.

byte301

"It's just like deja vu all over again." Yogi Berra

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'm Out, Patty joined the SO at ASHO and got married but I can't remember her married name or what her post was. The last time I talked to her was in Portland for the big protest thing. She had a little girl named Rachel and I have always wondered how Rachel fared in the SO since the care for kids wasn't good back then. Patty was a great person and friend and I hope she got out. She went to Alaska at one point and called me from there. Someone had talked to her about Mayo's group and joining them. (I am just guessing it was Mayo's group, she didn't tell me that) I talked her out of joining them. I have sooo regretted that. She was in a bad way at the time. She had gone to Alaska after meeting this guy in LA and getting into a 2D with him. They were going to get married when she got there. I think he was the ED at that Org. Well, she got there, got a job, a place to live and so on. Then he tells her it's off. Says something about thinking she was a bigger thetan then she was or something like that. She was devastated. I would still like to kick his ass for that. So there she is in Alaska with her daughter, no friends, etc. It was bad. But there are so many stories like that. Anyway, I sure hope Patty is out there somewhere and finds this board! I appreciate your feedback, I'm Out. It sure IS good to be out! :D

ooo's and xxx's from another sp.

byte301

Byte301,

When I knew Patty she lived in the South Bay area of Los Angeles. That's just south of LAX. She was running a bathtub re-finishing company with her 2D (don't remember his name). You may be able to find her that way. It's been a lot of years. But who knows, maybe she's still doing the same thing. If we are talking about the same person.

It's been such a long time since I saw Patty - early 90s and my memory isn't what it used to be.

notLRH

Patron
Free to shine, Yeah, the lingo. I had to drop all the Scientology words when I went out into the "wog" world. It was hard. Now, since reading this board, I have had to re-learn it all! hahaha It all came back to me pretty quickly though. And it is great having ppl that know what I am talking about. I have noticed that Anon is getting really proficient in the vocabulary.

I was just thinking about the lingo. I'd guess it took me about 5 years to lose it, on purpose. So it's almost 20yrs since I really heard or read these words, but as you say it comes back quickly.

It seems a great majority of the people posting are either just recently out or never really left the scn culture. I mean, they might be declared SPs but maybe their circle of friends keep them talking just like they did while in scn. For my part, I think it's better to just learn the proper words to describe things so that anyone can understand you, not just those "in the know" from ex-scn. It requires an expansion of one's vocabulary. Maybe reading a lot of good books, fiction, will finally allow one to achieve that.

Funny thing is that I was never a reader, but strangely enough, one of the very first books I read after I was totally "out" was Hubbard's Battlefield Earth. And I LOVED it. I continued to devour book after book. What an amazing experience. It totally changed my life. And strangely enough, I became a good writer because of it - good enough to actually earn money with the skill.

I'd be interested to hear other's comments about how they struggled, or not, to either lose the lingo or finally be able to talk without it.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
I was just thinking about the lingo. I'd guess it took me about 5 years to lose it, on purpose. So it's almost 20yrs since I really heard or read these words, but as you say it comes back quickly.

It seems a great majority of the people posting are either just recently out or never really left the scn culture. I mean, they might be declared SPs but maybe their circle of friends keep them talking just like they did while in scn. For my part, I think it's better to just learn the proper words to describe things so that anyone can understand you, not just those "in the know" from ex-scn. It requires an expansion of one's vocabulary. Maybe reading a lot of good books, fiction, will finally allow one to achieve that.

Funny thing is that I was never a reader, but strangely enough, one of the very first books I read after I was totally "out" was Hubbard's Battlefield Earth. And I LOVED it. I continued to devour book after book. What an amazing experience. It totally changed my life. And strangely enough, I became a good writer because of it - good enough to actually earn money with the skill.

I'd be interested to hear other's comments about how they struggled, or not, to either lose the lingo or finally be able to talk without it.

Not talking Scientologese is one of the major recovery steps. You have to do it consciously, being aware of what you are saying before it leaves the lips, and that in itself is a practice that is very beneficial. :)

It took me a while for sure to lose it all, and even 10 years later I can slip up as I was still talking the jargon to family at times who are still in. In fact it is that very thing that recently made me speak up to that family - I could simply not endure another Xmas get together full of tippy toeing around subjects and using the jargon to be acceptable. Couldn't do it. Result? Disconnection from me. That's another story.

It's a decision to do it. Yes, there were words I had to find to communicate the same concepts, and they ARE there in normal English most of the time. Maybe it's a few more words instead of one, and sometimes they are actually much more descriptive.

The jargon is part of the mind control. It separates the group speaking it from normal society and becomes elitist.

For an ex it is a very good idea to drop the slang. It's not only liberating, it also increases your vocabulary and helps to identify the indoctrination. :thumbsup:

gomorrhan

Gold Meritorious Patron
I use it when talking to ex-scientologists, and I don't use it when I'm talking to people who don't understand it. (Not that scientologists necessarily understand their own language: don't get me started.)

I do find it liberating to learn non-scientology terms for things that I thought were limited to scientology's understanding. I like having a lot of different lexicons to draw from. Sometimes a scientology word is simply a better way of saying something. For instance, the closest analog to a GPM I can find in "the literature" is a complex. But complexes carry additional meanings, and GPM is very specific, as well as extremely fleshed out. Frankly, I think "fucked up" is a better use of language than overt. It's not necessarily a sin to fuck up, it could just be a mistake, but it carries the meaning intended by overt. The only people who don't dig "fucked up" are those with sticks up their asses about use of "foul language" (but who are the first to scream "FUCK" when they stub their toe).

notLRH

Patron
It's a decision to do it. Yes, there were words I had to find to communicate the same concepts, and they ARE there in normal English most of the time. Maybe it's a few more words instead of one, and sometimes they are actually much more descriptive.

The jargon is part of the mind control. It separates the group speaking it from normal society and becomes elitist.

For an ex it is a very good idea to drop the slang. It's not only liberating, it also increases your vocabulary and helps to identify the indoctrination. :thumbsup:

Spot On! :) Just joking...

But those are my sentiments, exactly.

Thanks

Pixie

Crusader
Pixie, Thank you so much for your welcome. Love your avatar btw! I was just wondering...what the heck are we gonna do with all that money we win in the lottery now? Think I'll donate a bunch of my winnings to Anon. lol

Hi there Byte 301! Aw, look at you acknowledging everyone seperately, you're so sweet! Yes, for sure we're going to donate a large bunch to Anon and anyone else that cares to blast this pack of hounds into the stratasphere! But it never ceases to amaze me how many there are doing such a stellar job to get the truth of this 'church' out there. It's fantastic, really incredible. Just realized this a couple of months ago. A lot has changed in ten years! Soon, I'm hoping, this so called 'church' will indeed be history and that the good folk in there can finally be set free and begin to heal. Looking forward to hearing more of your stories. Keep up the good work!! :yes:

Pixie

Crusader
Frankly, I think "fucked up" is a better use of language than overt. It's not necessarily a sin to fuck up, it could just be a mistake, but it carries the meaning intended by overt. The only people who don't dig "fucked up" are those with sticks up their asses about use of "foul language" (but who are the first to scream "FUCK" when they stub their toe).

:hysterical: My sentiments exactly!!

byte301

Crusader
Byte301,

When I knew Patty she lived in the South Bay area of Los Angeles. That's just south of LAX. She was running a bathtub re-finishing company with her 2D (don't remember his name). You may be able to find her that way. It's been a lot of years. But who knows, maybe she's still doing the same thing. If we are talking about the same person.

It's been such a long time since I saw Patty - early 90s and my memory isn't what it used to be.

Well, I'm Out, that information could be a big help...someone else may read this and recognize her. If I only knew her married name I bet I could find her. If it is the same Patty (brunette, very cute, big boobs?) then she must have gotten out of the SO at least...and that's a good thing! I appreciate what you could tell me about her.

byte301

Crusader

HaHa, notLRH, The Battlefield Earth thing made me laugh. I was in LA for some action or the other when they released it. I got a T shirt with the Battlefield Earth logo on it. I should wear it to a protest but change it up a little to Battletoad Earth. LOL When I read it I thought it was fun, but Mission Earth was so juvenile to me. I always read a lot of science fiction and my brother was a fanatic. I was used to Clark, Asimov, etc. All the greats. I remember thinking that something must be wrong with me not to absolutely love LRH's fiction. But, no matter, BE got u into reading and I think that is a great thing. My mom used to let my brother and me read comic books...she said as long as we read something it would lead to something else. She was so right.

notLRH

Patron
HaHa, notLRH, The Battlefield Earth thing made me laugh. I was in LA for some action or the other when they released it. I got a T shirt with the Battlefield Earth logo on it. I should wear it to a protest but change it up a little to Battletoad Earth. LOL When I read it I thought it was fun, but Mission Earth was so juvenile to me. I always read a lot of science fiction and my brother was a fanatic. I was used to Clark, Asimov, etc. All the greats. I remember thinking that something must be wrong with me not to absolutely love LRH's fiction. But, no matter, BE got u into reading and I think that is a great thing. My mom used to let my brother and me read comic books...she said as long as we read something it would lead to something else. She was so right.

I read lots of Sci-Fi, but also lots of adventure books, mysteries, detectives, etc, etc. and was averaging maybe 2 thick books a week. I couldn't stop - didn't want to stop, and it was amazing. It expanded my areas of interest and launched me in many directions. The problem was to narrow them down, because they couldn't all be continued. My background in film/photo from my Sea Org days was very helpful, but that later faded into other things. But it all started from lots of reading. My only regrets were that for the past 20 years I haven't had enough time to read much of anything and so now it's a rare pleasure to actually sit down a read a book. Funny thing is that the very last book I've been able to read was when I was in Europe, completely bored to be vising relatives, leaving me with plenty of time to read. It was the very enjoyable book The Zone by the same author as Carrie - can't think of his name!