What's new

Santa Fe

byte301

Crusader
I read lots of Sci-Fi, but also lots of adventure books, mysteries, detectives, etc, etc. and was averaging maybe 2 thick books a week. I couldn't stop - didn't want to stop, and it was amazing. It expanded my areas of interest and launched me in many directions. The problem was to narrow them down, because they couldn't all be continued. My background in film/photo from my Sea Org days was very helpful, but that later faded into other things. But it all started from lots of reading. My only regrets were that for the past 20 years I haven't had enough time to read much of anything and so now it's a rare pleasure to actually sit down a read a book. Funny thing is that the very last book I've been able to read was when I was in Europe, completely bored to be vising relatives, leaving me with plenty of time to read. It was the very enjoyable book The Zone by the same author as Carrie - can't think of his name!

I know exactly what u mean, it just kind of snowballs. One genre leads to another. I haven't read much lately either...except on the internet! lol But it sounds like u have had an exciting career!

A quote I always loved by Mary Englebriet is, "Books fall open, and we fall in.":yes:

byte301

Crusader
Nope. I meant The Stand:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stand

They used the term "The Zone" a lot, so that's what stuck in my mind.
But yea, I should have remembered his name!

Thanks

The Stand, now that was quite a read. Is it just me or are King's book just soo much better then the movies? I know the book is always better, but so many of the movies made from his books were just really, really bad. I watch the movie first now and then read the book so it's not so annoying. lol

notLRH

Patron
I know exactly what u mean, it just kind of snowballs. One genre leads to another. I haven't read much lately either...except on the internet! lol But it sounds like u have had an exciting career!

A quote I always loved by Mary Englebriet is, "Books fall open, and we fall in.":yes:

Never saw that quote, but it's a good one. Thanks!

After I got out of the SO, I truely lived a full life, tons of adventure, exploration, learning. Totally priceless to me. Unfortunately, things change and I just don't have the time and/or money for even a tiny percentage of what I had done in my 20s and 30s. I was never a reader when young, so I make a special effort now to try and change that from happening to others who are young now. No better way to positively influence a person, I think.

byte301

Crusader
Never saw that quote, but it's a good one. Thanks!

After I got out of the SO, I truely lived a full life, tons of adventure, exploration, learning. Totally priceless to me. Unfortunately, things change and I just don't have the time and/or money for even a tiny percentage of what I had done in my 20s and 30s. I was never a reader when young, so I make a special effort now to try and change that from happening to others who are young now. No better way to positively influence a person, I think.

I agree. I think the Harry Potter books really got a lot of kids reading again. Sure hope it got them into other books! You have the world in your hands with books. Just can't imagine reading a book online...seems weird to me. But as long as ppl are reading, what the heck.

byte301

Crusader
Flag

I was reminded of a story about Flag. About a year or two before LRH died a staff member at Albuquerque Org got sent to Flag for some reason or another. Her name was Linda Kemmerer and she was pregnant.

While at Flag she started cramping (and spotting I believe). Flag staff wouldn't let her go to a hospital and kept her confined to her quarters for about 3 days trying to "handle" her.

Eventually they took her to the hospital where she either miscarried or found out she had miscarried earlier...sorry not sure about that detail.

Her husband Ken told me this story and I was in shock about it. After returning to Albuquerque Ken and Linda both left Scientology immediately.

So these types of things have happened all along imho.