What's new

saying hello

eldritch cuckoo

brainslugged reptilian
hello there. i'm another "never-in" who has been reading here and at sites like lermanet, clambake, villagevoice, the bunker, for quite a while, but in a more excessive and focused way over the last weeks... in some way this was due to a computer accident, so that i was (and still am) stuck with a new computer, without all my stuff and most programs, but the internet works. :wink2: so by now i intended at last to say hello...

i'm a woman from austria, a small german speaking country in europe. as already hinted, i haven't been in scientology, and, this i may add also, no relative or friend has been in trouble with them. i'm just personally interested. long-term. about that interest i may write more from time to time, or not at all - it is complex. for now, and to rule out certain options: i am a radical atheist.

aside from that, i don't know how to say it, but some of the stories here are touching in a way that i want to tell, here's another one feeling with you. reading some of that threads here which suddenly depicted a case of blowing "life" (at the time the people were writing it) was touching.

i'm in love with the english language, though it certainly doesn't love ME. unfortunately, neither the thickest dictionary nor any amount of reading are useful for 100% getting rid of grammar mistakes, and (...you know! :biggrin: ) courses are costly. in addition, my theoretical understanding of grammar rules stays on a positively homeopathic level, looking up the rules is of no use for me, i can only do with examples; fortunately there are good sites for this. anyhow you may do a comment or KR about any notorious, repeated grammar mistakes to the proper terminal, which is, in this case, me; all compromising informations will be handled confidentially and with the utmost discretion... :coolwink:

i don't know how many postings i'll make, if any. i'm not everyday on the internet, and it needs a lot of time alone to read the bunker comments. reading english is, by now, almost like reading german to me, but it is lots of stuff... and anything about law/courts always makes me go "WTF" (and there's ever more lawsuits, ofcourse :brow: ) and reading a post ever and ever again until i feel like checking out what it says... or still not. (cult jargon proved to be easier.) the same it is with slang, somethimes i have no clue what they are making up, it is all incredibly funny but often i need all too long to get it. :screwy::biggrin:

a reply of mine might need some days. up to now, i have made up some maniacal humorous stuff - how to face the top suppressive persons, a sort of mockingjay song to make a certain person freak out, etc... might spill that with time, but for now it still needs corrections. i have also prepared some lectures in word clearing about essential terms in obscure austrian dialect (retaliation! retaliation!), like "squirrel" etc., more on demand for the terms of your choice, requests welcome. ;) let's see how that goes...

for now... lerma you are my dearest xenulinguist (even though i'm heavily addicted to ortheta particles) ... your texts a la "darn... now i know how auditing uses hypnosis" or ... "scientology = black magic" are ... unforgettable and hilarious!! 8)

... and that's, indeed, the sense of it all ...

"I'd like to know," Barney said, "what you were trying to do when you introduced Chew-Z to our people."
"Perpetuate myself," the creature opposite him said quietly.
He glanced up, then. "A form of reproduction?"
"Yes, the only way I can."

With overwhelming aversion Barney said, "My God. We would all have become your children."

i seriously recommend to read this book, "the three stigmata of palmer eldritch" from philip k. dick. i've read it a long time ago... but after reading certain comments of lerma a not-so-long time ago, i look at it somewhat differently. anyhow it is extremely funny and really spaced-out. nonsensical in a quite elaborated way. sound familiar? :biggrin:

edit for format and typos.

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
Dear eldritch cuckoo.

Thank you for your interesting post and welcome to ESMB. (And thanks for the info about Austria, v. helpful!)

Actually I'm using your post as an excuse to say something about Philip K. Dick which I have wanted to do for a very long time. What is it all about re. Philip K. Dick? I cannot stand the geezer's writing! It's awful! The themes and subject matter may be inspired but I find the writing almost schoolboyish. Maybe it's just me or maybe I've read (but never finished) the wrong books.

OK, I've donned my asbestos suit. Flame away! Lol.

Last edited:

Leland

Crusader
Hello eldritch cuckoo,

It is so nice to have you here.

I use to have an Austrian girlfriend....and your posting has sent me off on some pleasant old memories....

Always good to have a "never in" perspective on the cult.....and cult think.

:)

R2-45

Silver Meritorious Patron
Dear Eldritch Cuckoo.

Thank you for your interesting post and welcome to ESMB. (And thanks for the info about Austria, v. helpful!)

Actually I'm using your post as an excuse to say something about Philip K. Dick which I have wanted to do for a very long time. What is it all about re. Philip K. Dick? I cannot stand the geezer's writing! It's awful! The themes and subject matter may be inspired but I find the writing almost schoolboyish. Maybe it's just me or maybe I've read (but never finished) the wrong books.

Huh?

EP - Ethics Particle

Gold Meritorious Patron
"i'm a woman from austria, a small german speaking country in europe. as already hinted, i haven't been in scientology, and, this i may add also, no relative or friend has been in trouble with them. i'm just personally interested. long-term. about that interest i may write more from time to time, or not at all - it is complex. for now, and to rule out certain options: i am a radical atheist.

aside from that, i don't know how to say it, but some of the stories here are touching in a way that i want to tell, here's another one feeling with you. reading some of that threads here which suddenly depicted a case of blowing "life" (at the time the people were writing it) was touching.

i'm in love with the english language, though it certainly doesn't love ME. unfortunately, neither the thickest dictionary nor any amount of reading are useful for 100% getting rid of grammar mistakes, and (...you know! ) courses are costly. in addition, my theoretical understanding of grammar rules stays on a positively homeopathic level, looking up the rules is of no use for me, i can only do with examples; fortunately there are good sites for this. anyhow you may do a comment or KR about any notorious, repeated grammar mistakes to the proper terminal, which is, in this case, me; all compromising informations will be handled confidentially and with the utmost discretion... "

I am a guy from The USA (Arkansas, to be more specific) a small state in the south where the English (grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc) is often MUCH worse than yours - which is very good, by the way!

l too love the English language and frankly do not see how anyone not speaking and hearing it from birth could EVER learn it well! :duh: My compliments to you! :clap: The "emoticons" are fun are they not? :wink2:

Be very wary of this subject. :nervous: It could be compared to quicksand, and it traps you with your own interest. :unsure::yes:

I think if I were trying to teach English to someone with your already good grasp of it, that I would concentrate on "idioms", because they are extensively and commonly used and an understanding of them is essential...at least I think so. :coolwink:

Perhaps I will expand on this, time permitting, later. :)

Anyway :wave::welcome:

R2-45

Dear Eldritch Cuckoo.

Perhaps I will expand on this, time permitting, later.

eldritch cuckoo

brainslugged reptilian
@R2-45: i hope i wrote nothing annoying? what's the problem please?

@strativarius:

don't worry. actually, this is the only book of him i've already read. nonetheless i can recommend this one, it was simply very entertaining... and yes, NUTS. the style was okay, but it was one of the novels harder for me to read in english, sometimes i indeed didn't get quickly what he's intending to say, but i suppose that is a grammar problem of me and/or problems with slang.
my actual list of "books to buy/read" is currently very long and some obscure classics which you "ought" to have read are not that high on it i'd say, but i'm staying curious about dick. anyhow, if you happen to have read, for example, "1984" from orwell, a no doubt very "important" book, you might have noticed that his style - on the level of grammar and so on - was (to me it is) a quite readable one, but certainly that was nothing spectacular. so if half of the world is praising this book it's hardly the poetic, elaborated style, and the book also isn't a thriller. but ofcourse it is megalomaniacally creepy and displays philosophical extremes. and ofcourse it is interesting how many of dick's books and/or short stories are, well, not exactly "adapted for movies", but more likely "serving as inspiration for SOME movie... kinda". so i think that in both these cases, especially for dicks, it must be the contents, the IDEAS of the stories, which are considered that "ingenious". for what i know, he has depicted many ideas and has been the first one to do this, or at last to mention a (back then) "new" meme in some story or novel. i think that's it, about tricky dick.

Last edited:

R2-45

@strativarius:

don't worry. actually, this is the only book of him i've already read. nonetheless i can recommend this one, it was simply very entertaining... and yes, NUTS. the style was okay, but it was one of the novels harder for me to read in english, sometimes i indeed didn't get quickly what he's intending to say, but i suppose that is a grammar problem of me and/or problems with slang.
my actual list of "books to buy/read" is currently very long and some obscure classics which you "ought" to have read are not that high on it i'd say, but i'm staying curious about dick. anyhow, if you happen to have read, for example, "1984" from orwell, a no doubt very "important" book, you might have noticed that his style - on the level of grammar and so on - was (to me it is) a quite readable one, but certainly that was nothing spectacular. so if half of the world is praising this book it's hardldy the poetic, elaborated style, and the book also isn't a thriller. but ofcourse it is megalomaniacally creepy and displays philosophical extremes. and ofcourse it is interesting how many of dick's books and/or short stories are, well, not exactly "adapted for movies", but more likely "serving as inspiration for SOME movie... kinda". so i think that in both these cases, especially for dicks, it must be the contents, the IDEAS of the stories, which are considered that "ingenious". for what i know, he has depicted many ideas and has been the first one to do this, or at last to mention a (back then) "new" meme in some story or novel. i think that's it, about tricky dick.

I was replying to strativarius in defense of PKD.

Read more PKD.

strativarius

Why shouldn't you say something annoying, as I seem to have done here? Am I bovvered?

@strativarius:

my actual list of "books to buy/read" is currently very long and some obscure classics which you "ought" to have read are not that high on it i'd say, but i'm staying curious about dick. anyhow, if you happen to have read, for example, "1984" from orwell, a no doubt very "important" book, you might have noticed that his style - on the level of grammar and so on - was (to me it is) a quite readable one, but certainly that was nothing spectacular. so if half of the world is praising this book it's hardldy the poetic, elaborated style, and the book also isn't a thriller. but ofcourse it is megalomaniacally creepy and displays philosophical extremes. and ofcourse it is interesting how many of dick's books and/or short stories are, well, not exactly "adapted for movies", but more likely "serving as inspiration for SOME movie... kinda". so i think that in both these cases, especially for dicks, it must be the contents, the IDEAS of the stories, which are considered that "ingenious". for what i know, he has depicted many ideas and has been the first one to do this, or at last to mention a (back then) "new" meme in some story or novel. i think that's it, about tricky dick.

Yes, the ideas may have been 'ingenious', it's just his style that puts me off.

eldritch cuckoo

brainslugged reptilian
if i ought to read more PKD, then, as i see it, i'll need DRUGS, lots of drugs. i intend to respect the autor and reproduce the conditions during writing scrupulously to soak in his memes with maximal efficiency. :biggrin:

PS: i like spinach. :p but not every day. or week...
okay, let's say i'll have it once in three months.

PSST - edited for spinach!

R2-45

if i ought to read more PKD, then, as i see it, i'll need DRUGS, lots of drugs. i intend to respect the autor and reproduce the conditions during writing scrupulously to soak in his memes with maximal efficiency. :biggrin:

PS: i like spinach. :p but not every day. or week...
okay, let's say i'll have it once in three months.

PSST - edited for spinach!

Transcend the postulated and imaginary "i'll need DRUGS, lots of drugs" and maybe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y

eldritch cuckoo

brainslugged reptilian
if you're going to mess with me about slang, i'm going to flame back... soon... but unexpectedly... and you will not be able to look up that stuff ANYWHERE, it will remain a mystery forever. austrian dialect is undecipherable. to anybody born 300 km away (hmm, good luck, osa) and ofcourse, especially to KRAUTS! :blink::biggrin: (homma do net an oda zwa krautschädl? wo seits?)*

* (ain't there one or two cabbage skulls? where are you?)

eldritch cuckoo

brainslugged reptilian
no, but as i understand it, this is a term used on them by english speaking people? WE certainly call them "PIEFKE". :biggrin: whether that has any meaning or not, i can't tell... somehow, i suppose that somebody will do that for me soon! :biggrin: anyhow, it's not obscene or really demeaning, you may use it... :p
pronounciation down there - i hope i get that right, it is difficult with the vocals, this is the one awful thing about this language, the phonetic transcription is such a mess...:

P
I = I(ndies)
F
K
E = E(ntheta)

oh and the "krautschädl" is real too, but i'd say that's nasty. i think you know how to pronounce "kraut", here comes the skull:
SCH = SH(erman)
ä = E(ntheta)
D
L

Last edited:

strativarius

no, but as i understand it, this is a term used on them by english speaking people? WE certainly call them "PIEFKE". :biggrin: whether that has any meaning or not, i can't tell... somehow, i suppose that somebody will do that for me soon! :biggrin: anyhow, it's not obscene or really demeaning, you may use it... :p
pronounciation down there - i hope i get that right, it is difficult with the vocals, this is the one awful thing about this language, the phonetic transcription is such a mess...:

P
I = I(ndies)
F
K
E = E(ntheta)

oh and the "krautschädl" is real too, but i'd say that's nasty. i think you know how to pronounce "kraut", here comes the skull:
SCH = SH(erman)
ä = E(ntheta)
D
L
I could be wrong, but I think the term 'kraut' comes from their fondness for sauerkraut.

No, I'm sorry, I'm not much of a linguist and 'PIEFKE' doesn't mean anything to me.

AAMOF I've always had a soft spot for Germans. I was homeless, virtually penniless and dossing in the attic of a house in Hamburg in the early sixties when the family discovered me there. (Hamburg was practically flattened by the RAF in WW II BTW.) They might have had relatives killed back then, who knows? They didn't just chuck me out, they bought me tickets that got me back home to London and even packed me food for the trip. I will always remember their kindness.