Crusader
Potato pancakes and apple sauce....

Sauerkraut and knockwrust.....

Mmmmmmmm so good.

I'm half German :)

(but I suppose a real German...would then think...I am not German) :unsure:

eldritch cuckoo

brainslugged reptilian
@strativatius: yes, "kraut" is about the sauerkraut. btw., i don't want to eat the stuff and am glad it has hardly ever been served at home... :/

@leland: it is "KNACKWURST". but in bayrisch dialect the A becomes O anyways. and you might as well write "KNOCKWURSCHT". :biggrin:

potato pancakes, apple sauce? hmm... not familiar. unless you might mean just the pancakes. the austrian way to serve them would be with molten chocolate inside, or with jam inside and powder sugar on it.
there are restaurants with german and/or austrian food around in large cities, yes? how is it?

(much speculation here, though. about serious topics i'll do recherche before posting, but i just won't look up now how many apfelstrudel serving restaurants there might be in new york. look for yourself, but careful... it's good stuff :biggrin: )

found one more...
i think the interested reader can comment most hubbard quotes aptly by this one, ironically:
"KRÖNUNGSBEDÜRFTIG"
i took it from a dictionary of youth slang (german language, publisher: langenscheidt). meaning: "in need of becoming crowned". for the kids it means "extraordinarily/splendid", but it seems to be somewhat ironic though...

K
R = (try it! just growl)
Ö = EArly
N
U = sUe
N
G = Gain
S
B
E = Entheta
D
Ü = mYriad
R
F
T
I = Indie
G = Gain

Leland

Crusader
apfelstrudel MMMMMMMM

Potato Pancakes and apple sauce/sour cream....might be Yiddish.....don't know...thought they were German.....maybe American/German ....or Dutch?

In a Citys like Los Angeles or New York....there are restaurants of all Countries....

eldritch cuckoo

brainslugged reptilian
word clearing and pronounciation crashcourse: austrian alp(en)pizza (= bullshit) #1

(this is one of the prepared texts)

word clearing and pronounciation crashcourse: austrian alp pizza (= bullshit) part 1

we of A.G.E. have yearned to present a crashcourse like this to bring the superior tech of austrian dialect to the whole world!
part one: how to pronounce OACHKATZL, austrian dialect for SQUIRREL - represented, by the way, over continental europe, by a species with veerry RED FUR.

O = O(rg)
A = A(rt)
CH = X(enu), but no "S" consonant, just that first cat-hissing alike part
K
A = A(rt)
TZ = TS (sharp)
L (softened)

the tail of the oachkatzl then is the "SCHWOAF":

SCH = SH, but put the tongue a bit more forward
W = w(hen)
O = O(rg)
A = A(rt)
F

... which leads us to "OACHKATZLSCHWOAF".

commonly used for annoying tourists, but MIGHT be applied as a nickname for any red haired persons... or in this case for a person who still admires a CERTAIN oachlkatzlschwoaf but in an "independent" way... just suggesting... :wink2:

actually i had a hard time of not taking up oachkatzl(schwoaf) for my own nickname, but i came to the conclusion that this would (once explained) just strongly suggest i'm a freezoner/squirrel. so, if any nostalgic person wants to take up that one, maybe with adapted spelling (i couldn't guess how that would look like)... fine with it. :biggrin:

- more customerized bullshit on request. *g* well, yes, it's a small country, but you know... i can do several dialects... and it's a small world anyhow, OSAbots. and yours is getting smaller all day, and on top of that it's ever more contaminated with ortheta particles of strange matter which will cause every particle they touch to convert into strange matter as well. and if i consider your approximate exposition rate by now... hmmm... :bait:

here is more about the term, mostly in german language but with Audio:
http://de.wiktionary.org/wiki/Oachkatzlschwoaf

eldritch cuckoo

brainslugged reptilian
marty, next book cover?

oachkatzl-uses-oachkatzlschwoaf-attack.jpg
"oachkatzl uses oachkatzlschwoaf attack"

but seriously! you should do it. something like this, i mean. :biggrin:

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
Welcome, EC. I, too am a never-in with no family connection to the cult. This board has greatly expanded my understanding of the Co$and cults in general, as well as the practical operations of logical fallacies, which, as a scientist, is one of my primary intellectual hobbies.

Where are you from in Austria?

Regarding spinach, I am a fan, but that came in adulthood. My mother was, well, not the world's worst cook, but certainly the gene did not pass to her from my grandmother. I never had spinach that did not come out of a can or a frozen block until I was in graduate school. I now eat it and its various cousins from around Asia on a near daily basis, but I buy them fresh in the Asian grocery stores of Flushing, Queens.

As for the potato pancakes, that is a North and Northeastern German tradition. I did not see any of them in Vienna, Linz or Salzburg when I was there, but they feature prominently in my Prussian family recipes. My family hails from Danzig, and it's hard to say whether the tradition is Polish or Eastern German. It goes all the way up into the Baltics, where they put ground beef or sausage in the middle of very thick ones. The Lithuanians also have Tsepelinai - Zeppelins, which are 3D airship-shaped constructions of ground beef wrapped in a potato pancake. I make pretty good beef-filled potato pancakes and cepelinai, if I do say so myself - of the 2 years I spent in the USSR back in 1989-1991, one entire year was in the Lithuanian SSR.

I did looove the food in Austria, especially the beer. (What? Beer, it's what's for lunch in Germany... :thumbsup:). My kids loved the sausages and schnitzel (and the pastries...), but my seafood-loving wife dragged us into Nordsee all the time. That's some pretty darn good fast food, right there. I know they're German, but hell, they serve beer and fish that isn't more batter than fish, plus side vegetables that were't strip mined and dipped in greasy dressing, so I was cool with that. Plus, they serve beer - did I mention I loved the beer?

Anyway, welcome here, and don't worry about your English. Ask if you want corrections, otherwise, we'll leave it alone. You're more than good enough to get the finer points across.

Last edited:

eldritch cuckoo

brainslugged reptilian
no, please DO the corrections. in whichever way. otherwise i'll never get rid of the flaws. for example, i'd like to know how many actual mistakes (not, "sloppish english", or slang) were there in my first posting? essentially i mean PIDGIN fails which a native speaker won't do, not merely something that might provoke the thought "oh, bad education". that would be interesting. i have no clue...:unsure: general improvement of the style IS important to me (and i need that too, why, i might tell later, and no, not for work, not exactly), but for now this is mainly about getting certainty that i'm not giving away my origins involuntarily. (here, ofcourse, i just did it.) but i guess you know what this is all about. i think there are notorious mistakes conducted by german native speakers? for certain situations it would be reassuring to know that i don't actually give away my foreign nature (and which one it is)... as long as i don't write too much ofcourse.

i'm afraid i don't like beer. but it is common knowledge that they are making some very good beer in austria. i hardly drink alcohol, though.

as to the GPS coordinates... i'd say i will give away that i'm in vienna, but that's not necessarily from where i come. the thing is... 1) they have still much money
2) and generally spoken, i have very suppressive deeds. :biggrin:
especially now that i've *finally* installed the drivers for the wacom bamboo graphic pad... :drama2:after restart #8 orso. i already tried it out, it is wonderful, but what i need is some photopaint or photoshop where not 4/10 of the functions/modes/keys are not responding. or is that more likely some windows problem? anyhow, currently i have just photostudio 5, i got that with my scanner... 5-10 years ago orso. :biggrin: you may laugh now. i've covered my ears. i don't want to learn photoshop so as it looks now, i'll have to buy the new corelDRAW/photopaint. ghah. :goodorbad: (with the old computer, i got some sort of demo version for free, "essentials", so that was no prob...) - i know i will buy the coreldraw because i need vector graphics anyway, but, whatever, in case somebody wants to make recommendations: please only legal options (demos), thanks.

eldritch cuckoo

brainslugged reptilian
another common fastfood in vienna (hu huh i hope they aren't watching) is "döner", a wrap in a thin pancake, sorts of, with lamb or chicken meat, salad, tomatoes, onions, and some sauce. it is funny that this is known as "turkish fastfood" (and definitely it are people of turkish origin who run these restaurants/snack bars), but its origins aren't really located in turkey. i assume that has been made up somewhere "between the countries". i bet it's known in the US too but under which name, you'll have to tell.
i can understand why one would prefer nordsee, but the wrap certainly isn't all too unhealthy. i like it. yet with the onions and all it leaves a bad taste.

Helena Handbasket

Gold Meritorious Patron
another common fastfood in vienna (hu huh i hope they aren't watching) is "döner", a wrap in a thin pancake, sorts of, with lamb or chicken meat, salad, tomatoes, onions, and some sauce.
Hi Eldritch, and welcome to ESMB.

I'm an American living in Bavaria and I too have difficulties with language. Learning new languages just doesn't come easily for me!

We have Döners over here, too, although I've also seen them called gyros in the USA. (I prefer the ones made with pork.)

There are a number of different viewpoints here on ESMB -- if you scan over my posts you will see I am quite opinionated about certain things.

Helena

Leland

Crusader
Until you mentioned Vienna, I had all but forgotten that I had been there a long long time ago. I guess it was around 1963. My older sister was taking her Junior year of University abroad.....and was in Vienna. The rest of the family was living in Naples at the time. I was about 8 years old. We all got in the car and drove from Naples....to Vienna...and paid my sister a visit. I wish I could remember more of the city, and Austria. :)

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
another common fastfood in vienna (hu huh i hope they aren't watching) is "döner", a wrap in a thin pancake, sorts of, with lamb or chicken meat, salad, tomatoes, onions, and some sauce. it is funny that this is known as "turkish fastfood" (and definitely it are people of turkish origin who run these restaurants/snack bars), but its origins aren't really located in turkey. i assume that has been made up somewhere "between the countries". i bet it's known in the US too but under which name, you'll have to tell.
i can understand why one would prefer nordsee, but the wrap certainly isn't all too unhealthy. i like it. yet with the onions and all it leaves a bad taste.

The pancake is called pita bread here in the States, and the sandwich is known by its Greek name: Gyro. A whole lotta Americans refer to it as a "jai-ro" but its real pronunciation is closer to the English word "hero", with a very nasal "h" in Greek (The Greek and Ukrainian "G" sounds like an English speaker started to say a "g", changed their mind to an "h", and then sucked their breath up through their nose. Interestingly enough, the Kansai dialect of Japanese has an almost identical "g" sound). I love gyros, ESPECIALLY with the red onions. The sauce in the states is usually tzatziki, a white, creamy, Greek yogurt-based condiment, though I have had ones with red-colored spicier sauces in the Middle East.

If you could not tell from the above, I'm something of a linguist. :coolwink: I "speak" five languages to the point where I'm not worried about walking into a dive bar and ordering something totally disgusting by accident*, but I'm nowhere as fluent as you are in English in most of them.

* Since one of those languages is Chinese, it is entirely possible that I could wind up ordering something totally disgusting on purpose, there:

[video=youtube;ILexn0r6STg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILexn0r6STg[/video]

(Yes, I have eaten that. Voluntarily. More than once. It is an acquired taste I have never acquired, though various members of my family swear by it. Myself, I usually swear AT it. As in: "that's pretty fucking goddamn disgusting, why on God's green Earth is it on my plate"? :melodramatic:).

Last edited:

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
Hi eldritch and :welcome:

no, please DO the corrections. in whichever way. otherwise i'll never get rid of the flaws. for example, i'd like to know how many actual mistakes (not, "sloppish english", or slang) were there in my first posting? essentially i mean PIDGIN fails which a native speaker won't do, not merely something that might provoke the thought "oh, bad education". that would be interesting. i have no clue...:unsure: general improvement of the style IS important to me (and i need that too, why, i might tell later, and no, not for work, not exactly), but for now this is mainly about getting certainty that i'm not giving away my origins involuntarily. (here, ofcourse, i just did it.) but i guess you know what this is all about. i think there are notorious mistakes conducted by german native speakers? for certain situations it would be reassuring to know that i don't actually give away my foreign nature (and which one it is)... as long as i don't write too much ofcourse.

i'm afraid i don't like beer. but it is common knowledge that they are making some very good beer in austria. i hardly drink alcohol, though.

as to the GPS coordinates... i'd say i will give away that i'm in vienna, but that's not necessarily from where i come. the thing is... 1) they have still much money
2) and generally spoken, i have very suppressive deeds. :biggrin:
especially now that i've *finally* installed the drivers for the wacom bamboo graphic pad... :drama2:after restart #8 orso. i already tried it out, it is wonderful, but what i need is some photopaint or photoshop where not 4/10 of the functions/modes/keys are not responding. or is that more likely some windows problem? anyhow, currently i have just photostudio 5, i got that with my scanner... 5-10 years ago orso. :biggrin: you may laugh now. i've covered my ears. i don't want to learn photoshop so as it looks now, i'll have to buy the new corelDRAW/photopaint. ghah. :goodorbad: (with the old computer, i got some sort of demo version for free, "essentials", so that was no prob...) - i know i will buy the coreldraw because i need vector graphics anyway, but, whatever, in case somebody wants to make recommendations: please only legal options (demos), thanks.

Für Pixel-Grafiken kannst du's ja mal mit Gimp probieren, das ist kostenlos. Da ich mich mit Grafik-Programmen nicht gut auskenne, kann ich nicht sagen, ob es Vektor-Formate beherrscht.

Cheers, MrN

ps:
Hmmm, Kartoffelpuffer mit Apfelmus... :)

eldritch cuckoo

brainslugged reptilian
thank you i will look up for this program and check it out a bit. however, for all i know, corelDRAW is the only vector program ... for "privateers". i think to learn another VECTOR program (we're speaking of 2D here) just for [STRIKE]suppr[/STRIKE] hobby purposes would be horrific!
........... for a reason i don't know i can, for the 274. time this day, click on no smilies, so:
:D

PS: ups. i hab des net wirkli gmerkt in welcher sprach des geschrieben woa, bevors fertig woa. die oite frog: is des jetz guat oda schlecht?... :D

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
thank you i will look up for this program and check it out a bit. however, for all i know, corelDRAW is the only vector program ... for "privateers". i think to learn another VECTOR program (we're speaking of 2D here) just for [STRIKE]suppr[/STRIKE] hobby purposes would be horrific!
........... for a reason i don't know i can, for the 274. time this day, click on no smilies, so:
:D

PS: ups. i hab des net wirkli gmerkt in welcher sprach des geschrieben woa, bevors fertig woa. die oite frog: is des jetz guat oda schlecht?... :D

I just checked the Gimp online docu and it doesn't support vector, sorry. There is one open source Vector graphics program, but I can't remember the name of it. If I find it, I'll let you know.

About language changes good or bad: I speak English and German, do I don't care. My German is WAY better than my English, though. :coolwink:

:tobed:

eldritch cuckoo

brainslugged reptilian
gimp seems to be a pixel program. fine!... i'll use that meanwhile. in some weeks i'll take coreldraw/photopaint.

- windows: bugs on demand! no refunds.
- GNU programs: you gotta download your regular new bugs by yourself. no costs; no refunds.

since i'm fairly sick of the former, especially for today, i'll try it with the later for a change.

uncover

Gold Meritorious Patron
if you're going to mess with me about slang, i'm going to flame back... soon... but unexpectedly... and you will not be able to look up that stuff ANYWHERE, it will remain a mystery forever. austrian dialect is undecipherable. to anybody born 300 km away.....
Really ? Ok, let´s give it a try:

Bist deppat oda was ? Wüllst jetzt einedrahn mit deiner steirischen (oda burgenlandlerischen) schmirage ? :biggrin:
Und dann der schaß mitn tschuschnfraß, host no ni wos ghert von aner hassn, göll ? Und damitsd vastehst, was die aundern schreibn, "kartoffelpuffer" san grundbirnmatsch.

Believe me, NSA and OSA are everywhere.... :coolwink:

Last edited:

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
As usual I belatedly :welcome: another curious person, that is curious in the sense that you want more, wish to understand more, not the curious type whom I find unusual :p

:cake:

:bong:

:dance3:

:spacecraft::gathering::nothingfunny: