What's new

saying hello

DeeAnna

Patron Meritorious
Welcome. I am also a "never in". I have ancestors who came to Western Pennsylvania in the U.S. from Vienna, Austria in 1882. They came to a small town in which my great-great grandfather obtained a job as a laborer in a steel mill. He came first and lived as a boarder, then almost two years later his wife and small daughter came over. They had two more children, sons, who were born here in the U.S. I can remember these two as "old men" when I was a small child. They died about six months apart - one was 71 and the other 73. Which is not really THAT old.

My own grandmother from this branch of the family was an outstanding cook who learned from her Austrian-born mother and Austrian born grandmother.

The original couple settled into a neighborhood that was thick with Austrian immigrants. When I examine the U.S. Census forms for this neighborhood for the late 1800's and early decades of the 1900's, it is just page after page of Austrian immigrants. This was due to jobs being plentiful and immigrants writing letters home that spoke glowingly of their new lives.

---------------------

Your English strikes me a being just fine. There are only a very few places where there could even possibly be a question - not in your usage, but sometimes in adverb placement.

I would be glad to go through your posts and mark any area where there could possibly be any improvement. Is this what you want?

eldritch cuckoo

brainslugged reptilian
depends on what's your price. i am not familiar with what the current lists says about word clearing... or is this a FZ tariff? :biggrin: beware, i require 100% standard US-american tech, i will not use GB spelling or "specialities". :biggrin:
so yes, i'm interested, but, umm... can i pay later?
and what might i do in return? i might send some Apfelstrudel, but there's that little OSA problem. mumble, i heard now they can decipher the dialects...

DeeAnna

Patron Meritorious
Hi eldritch,
In honor of Austrian/American good will, there is no charge.

I have sent you a private message. Do you know how to get these? Look up at the top of the page, there is a box that says "Private Messages". Click onto it and it opens to a Mailbox. Then you can click open the message.

eldritch cuckoo

brainslugged reptilian
so. in case you'll not hear from me for weeks here's a short note........
minutes ago, the harddisk of my NEW laptop had started making strange noises. and the "grat...grat...grat" sort of noises, just between its normal noises. IF that's really the HD but it sounds like that. so i shut it down... to think. i restarted. the noises haven't occurred since, but i feel totally in limbo with using this HD now. i've copied the handful of new personal files on the external HD and will keep working from there (also, so that i can bring them the brick without much concern if it suddenly totally fails). i'll wait for a while what's happening or if that isn't merely the ventilator (with something in it) or what. i'll copy around some large amounts of photos orso to hear the thing running and to check it and provoke that mechanical failing. but if the thing crashes i'll have to pick a new computer and that won't be easy. so it could be i won't post for weeks. i have a smartphone but it's small, so reading would be difficult and texting would be torturous (does that word exist? well, it does now.). honestly, i would prefer to read the undergroundbunker postings then (though i doubt the disqus trees can be opened or used in any comfortable way). between windows 8, IE, and now dear ASUS, i can't even BEGIN to rant, so i won't start because then i won't know where to stop............ :angry::angry::angry:
one more fine german word to look up, at last for windows & IE, though i doubt it's to find in (sane) dictionairies: "VERSCHLIMMBESSERUNG"!!! :screwy:

Last edited:

Leland

Crusader
minutes ago, the harddisk of my NEW laptop had started making strange noises. and the "grat...grat...grat" sort of noises, just between its normal noises. IF that's really the HD but it sounds like that. so i shut it down... to think. i restarted. the noises haven't occurred since, but i feel totally in limbo with using this HD now. i've copied the handful of new personal files on the external HD and will keep working from there (also, so that i can bring them the brick without much concern if it suddenly totally fails). i'll wait for a while what's happening or if that isn't merely the ventilator (with something in it) or what. i'll copy around some large amounts of photos orso to hear the thing running and to check it and provoke that mechanical failing. but if the thing crashes i'll have to pick a new computer and that won't be easy. so it could be i won't post for weeks. i have a smartphone but it's small, so reading would be difficult and texting would be torturous (does that word exist? well, it does now.). honestly, i would prefer to read the undergroundbunker postings then (though i doubt the disqus trees can be opened or used in any comfortable way). between windows 8, IE, and now dear ASUS, i can't even BEGIN to rant, so i won't start because then i won't know where to stop............ :angry::angry::angry:
one more fine german word to look up, at last for windows & IE, though i doubt it's to find in (sane) dictionairies: "VERSCHLIMMBESSERUNG"!!! :screwy:

Could be your CD drive, checking to see if there is a CD in the drive...

Anyway, get a back up USB HD.....and copy everything...backup your drive...

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron

I have a feeling your word has a meaning similar to "fixing what ain't broken" or "hardly an improvement". The German penchant for compound words is the butt of all kinds of jokes in other European languages, IIRC Mark Twain said German should be a dead language because only the dead have time to learn it. :p

eldritch cuckoo

brainslugged reptilian
that's very true. (and the meaning of "SCHLIMMPROVEMENT" :biggrin: as well.) if it's no official document i always try to write all german compounded words separately that would not just appear as a "fail" but still look somehow acceptable; or to separate them with a hyphen. whereas official sourches (newspapers etc.) are trying just to make the opposite. result? to all foreigners, AND all people who have difficulties with reading to some degree, it all appears as a terrible "letter salad" (one more funky "translation" but i think you get the sense :wink2: ). and yes, that ought to be a great minus point for learning that language. there should be no compounded words at all or something like a half space or the word bases should be separated by an apostroph, that's it. i mean, if i look at a long icelandic word it's incredibly hard to look "through" it. :unsure: i'm just saying i don't think that will be done for all too long...
PS: don't you speak bad about zombies (after "warm bodies"), don't you see, they're TRYING. :coolwink:

uncover

Gold Meritorious Patron
.....i always try to write all german compounded words separately that would not just appear as a "fail" but still look somehow acceptable; or to separate them with a hyphen.....
aha.... so please elaborate, how would you write:
DONAUDAMPFSCHIFFAHRTSGESELLSCHAFTSKAPITÄNSMÜTZE

eldritch cuckoo

brainslugged reptilian
Could be your CD drive, checking to see if there is a CD in the drive...

Anyway, get a back up USB HD.....and copy everything...backup your drive...

ah i have no CD drive. no intern one, i mean.
well, i had about 10 private files on this computer and they're saved onto the extern HD now and i'll work from there (ofcourse it could all crash during working, but i save very often now, so, fvck 1t. :confused2: ) the windows i got with the computer, nothing else on there than some freeware i've downloaded, so if i get a refund i'll have a new computer supposedly with windows (maybe not, by now...), the new office and coreldraw i still have to buy... it's just a pity i had all that work with installing printer, scanner, mouse (it's a cyborg rat 5, it doesn't even run on a "shared"(?) USB), graphic pad, CD drive... sucked in all the updates (half a gigabyte! unbelievable...)... set up the specifications... :unsure: and so on.
the main problem seems to be now that i can't download/activate, say, costly office or coreldraw on a computer that can crash suddenly and irreversibly, because then i can't make them believe that this licence is really "lost" for me", or "deactivate" it in any way, so that i get a new one for a new computer... as i see it...:unsure:
i'll wait some days and if the noises EVER reappear, i'll just bring them the computer and demand refund... i can't use the wordpad forever.