ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

SCIENTOLOGESE: A GLOSSARY

Discussion in 'Grundy's Guide to Scientology' started by secretiveoldfag, Mar 30, 2014.

1. secretiveoldfag

secretiveoldfag Silver Meritorious Patron

Ceedar contributed the following definitions. They will be only too familiar to Exes but never-ins might find them useful. I know I do.
    SOF

C.S. R-Factor: Case Supervisor Reality Factor. The C.S. was giving me feedback about my case in the form of an indication (see below).

indication: the C.S. or your auditor is giving you some "mind-blowing", "break-through" piece of information which usually makes you feel all better about the situation: "I would like to indicate to you that, 'You hate Scientology'!"

Red Tag (ed): Something went wrong in the session and you are ordered to be back in session to handle it within 24 hours. Things that can go wrong: you don't have a "Floating Needle" at the end of your session, you don't want to write a success story, you aren't happy at the end of the auditing. I usually would red-tag three days in a row before they could fix it and keep me from wanting to leave.

Floating Needle: definition needed.

ARC BREAK: Affinity Reality Communication Break is when any of those three components are violated in some way and cause the individuals involved to become upset about it. For example if my friend snubs me and won't sit next to me, that is a break in affinity. If someone disagrees with my view-point (Reality) then that can be a break in reality. If anything goes wrong with the communication, blah blah blah... In Scientology, you never say someone upset you, you say, they "gave you an ARC Break". (Also good to know: it is sometimes shortened to "ARC X".)

ARC Break Session: It is a session delivered to a Preclear when they are upset about something. This is done so that the Preclear does not have his attention, "stuck" on something else. You want him to be fully focused on the session and not distracted by "problems".The Process run to handle it is a horrendously tedious process of listing each "Item" (A.R.C.) and a bunch of variations on concepts in relationship to ARC. Then when they find out which one it is, "Affinity, Reality, etc..", they then at the end say something like: "I would like to indicate to you that you had a Break in Affinity". Then you feel "ALL BETTER" :-/

Repair: It's usually , fixing auditor mistakes or the Preclear's out-ethics, (doing things the church frowns upon) or PTSness, (being unduly influenced by an outside source who could sway you from the church). Which usually consists of: writing up your Overts and Withholds (crimes and secrets) in a long drawn-out format, then you have to study a long list of references and demonstrate your understanding with Essays, clay-demos, amends, and finally, A SUCCESS STORY! :-/

Overts and Withholds: see Repair, above.

False Data Stripping: I don't remember exactly what it was except that they wanted me to understand how wrong I was for questioning something and then I had to study a lot and admit that I was wrong and now they have corrected me so I know it the "RIGHT WAY". It was studying and word-clearing and so, so tedious and horrible.

Good Roads, Fair Weather, the older term; now known as Good Roads, Good Weather (see Sallydance, below, who says: I did hear this "good roads fair weather" thing (from folk who had been in scientology longer than me) during my time in scientology but never saw it written in the, then, current PTS tech). It's when you have a relative or associate that you are unable to disconnect from and the "handling" is to only address issues with that person in a positive way. Only talk about the "Good Roads" and the "Good or Fair Weather" and they will have nothing to attack you for. If they say something negative, you simply ignore it and find something positive to comment on.

Freeloader Debt: A freeloader bill is when someone leaves staff without completing their contract. The church of scientology then adds up the charges for all of the "services" the person received while on staff and tells the former staff member that they are not allowed to receive any more services until they pay off the debt. Of course, the church of scientology does not give the former staff member any credit for having worked many hours for little to no wages. (ClearEyed 30 March 2014).

Services: definition needed.

MU: misunderstood (pron: em-you); a word or symbol not fully understood! (Panda, 30 March 2014)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  2. Panda Termint

Panda Termint Cabal Of One

Thanks. It's "good roads, fair weather", just for the record, but the definition is correct. :)

3. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

There's always the PaulsRobot False Data Stripping module for anyone that wants a "proper" FDSing session. By "proper" I mean one that follows the correct procedure and uses the right words. More or less, since it's obviously been Robotized. The only caution is that it's not for beginners, as I found that if you treat it as a case action to get rid of charge, it can flash by too quickly to note the false data in question.

Anyway, for the adventurous, or the curious, it's at http://paulsrobot3.com/scn/fds.

Paul

4. sallydannce

sallydannce Gold Meritorious Patron

It is "good roads, good weather". The PTS tech was changed to this prior to my joining in 1987 though I do not know the date the "fair" was changed to "good".

I checked online and the scientology handbook has a ref to the "good roads, good weather".

I will not put a link to any scientology related sites here (a principle issue of mine) but a google search term "scientology, good road good weather" will turn up what I am talking about.

I did hear this "good roads fair weather" thing (from folk who had been in scientology longer than me) during my time in scientology but never saw it written in the, then, current PTS tech.

5. Dulloldfart

It was only a year ago that I learned (from ESMB) the nautical definition of "roads," which is where the phrase must have come from:

road [rohd] Show IPA
    noun
    1. a long, narrow stretch with a smoothed or paved surface, made for traveling by motor vehicle, carriage, etc., between two or more points; street or highway.
    2. a way or course: the road to peace.
    3. a railroad.
    4. Often, roads. Also called roadstead. Nautical. a partly sheltered area of water near a shore in which vessels may ride at anchor.
    5. Mining. any tunnel in a mine used for hauling.​

It's amusing that no-one in Scn ever made the point, and just about everyone had an m/u on it.

Paul

6. Panda Termint

That's just plain squirrelling of LRH-tech. Someone musta had an mu
    ie. misunderstood (pron: em-you); a word or symbol not fully understood! :hysterical:

7. secretiveoldfag

I will amend the entry. I think Ceedar is a relatively recent escapee so she knows it as Good Weather. Paul is probably right that this is a nautical term (LRH showing off). I think a sailor would talk about fair weather; this is certainly what it says on a barometer: Stormy, Rain, Change, Fair, Very Dry. As someone said, an MU.

MU: misunderstood word, believed to impede understanding?

Word Clearing: definition needed.

8. Winston Smith

Winston Smith Flunked Scientology

Thank you Paul! #4 the nautical reference. It clears up something I had never understood, and I am not giving credit to the cult for the word 'understood.' There is an area at the bottom of the Chesapeake Bay called Hampton Roads, but no one has ever seen a road there, it is water! Hampton Roads is a shipping lane kind of thing. Learn something every day. :happydance:

9. MissWog

MissWog Silver Meritorious Patron

SOF,
    Nicely done :clap:
    You should blog this :)

10. secretiveoldfag

Thank you, Miss Wog, but you should thank Ceedar who knows all about it from the inside (from age 6 to 25).

I don't know much about blogs but I think there are a lot more entries to collect first.

11. MissWog

MissWog Silver Meritorious Patron

Just hit the "Blog this Post" button.. I'll do it if you like.. But either you or Ceedar should since it is y'all's work... I suggest that bc then it will always be easy for you (or us) to find after this thread get buried. It will just become part of your profile. No worries if you don't but this content is valuable for sure!!!

12. Panda Termint

13. secretiveoldfag

Thank you, Miss Wog. We learn something new every day!

Thank you, Panda. I knew I had seen a much longer glossary around some place but couldn't remember where.

The shorter little list might be useful to wogs like me who don't speak the language. A guide for tourists.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  14. guanoloco

guanoloco As-Wased

Red Tag is also what is placed on the PC's folder. (Otherwise definition is complete.)

MU is also a misunderstood word or symbol. (Otherwise definition is complete.)

Services would be auditing or courses...in short anything a PC pays for...I think ethics and chaplain access are exempt from this. In this way a person can be denied services but can still seek ethics and chaplain help because they don't pay for these.

Floating needle would be an emeter needle manifestation, called a read, that often indicates a process is complete or an area of no charge...blah, blah, blah.

My 2ยข

15. Ceedar

Ceedar Patron

I knew it to be both. I didn't realize it was amended. I thought that I had seen it in two different references or something. I wondered why they asked us in the 90's to "trade-in" our ethics books. :p

16. secretiveoldfag

From the outside it is a matter of total unimportance, though of some interest, whether Hubbard referred to Fair Weather or Good Weather. Logically Fair came first and was amended by some ignoramus who did not understand where the Boss got it from.

On another tack (another nautical metaphor) can someone tell me how to edit an ESMB blog?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  17. Dulloldfart

18. secretiveoldfag

Thank you, Paul. I thought I had tried everything...