What's new

Scientologists to build large church in £1million Plymouth building

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
From what I remember of Plymouth there must be at leat 65 million on source Sighentologists in the city, why theres nearly that many on staff.

johnAnchovie

Still raging
From what I remember of Plymouth there must be at leat 65 million on source Sighentologists in the city, why theres nearly that many on staff.

Rubbish, it is more like 100 million on staff and a billion active scions in and around Bangor. These figures are from reliable sources within the church of scifi public relations division. - Thanks Greame... :nervous:

thetanic

Gold Meritorious Patron
6000 to 16 (world wide numbers to staff ratio) = 375 public to 1 staff. No wonder they get no sleep!! :bigcry:

When I was at my old org, the number of staff to BIS (bodies in the shop) tended to be 2:1 or 3:1, not 1:375. Of course, that was only people on lines that week rather than active as a whole.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Actually, the increased space makes alot of sense.

They're planning not only for current needs, but future needs as well. That is a common planning strategy for many corporations and civic groups. The article also mentioned that they plan to rent space to other groups as well. Probably local clubs and such. Many churches do this here in the US. (I'm not saying they're a religion. Just as a comparison.)

Not to be funny - but have you ever been a scientologist? I am asking because if you had been a scientologist you would know that such future planning is not part of Scientology planning.

Let me go over why this whole thing would be a huge boon to critics and huge shot in the foot for Scientology. Bear with me.

Why is there even a Scientology Church in Plymouth? Much bigger cities like Liverpool, Glasgow, Leeds, Bristol, Cardiff,Newcastle do not have orgs - why does this city? Not a result of any planning that is for sure.

Plymouth Org has always been small - and I am pretty sure that it has not changed very much. The total amount of local hard core Scientologists has got to be around 150, not much more.

Hubbard was actually quite sensible on the subject of premises for orgs he was all about "affordable" and all about "location". Orgs had to be located in populous areas with large amounts of foot traffic. They had to as good as could be afforded by the organization. The idea of buying enormously expensive places on the "Field of Dreams" economic planning model was not one of his favorite ideas.

So now an org that can barely afford where it is now, is suddenly going to support a building that probably requires more upkeep and money than the entirety of their current income?

PLease do this. Please.

What will happen is what has already happened with many of these places.

The financial pressure on the staff and the hard core public will be doubled or tripled - and for no benefit.Which wil force more of them out.

The org will neglect the building and, over time, it will become the true shabby representative of the real state of affairs or it will be left empty.

So they will have a building that will be devaluing by the month, they will receive even less pay than they do now, the org will suffer enormous financial hardship and they will lose people.

All to the good.

Daedle

Patron
Just as a note I've written to the Plymouth planning office and they've not received any planning permission from the CoS.

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
I hope theyre not being covert about this. Maybe theyre just lying, wouldnt that be unusual.

Chances are its a front group that's doing it so that no one suspects.

Smilla

Ordinary Human
Space is needed for storage of Thetans frozen in glycol and alcohol for eventual consumption by Xenu as his vavorite cocktail.

Smilla

Ordinary Human
When I was at SH until 1985 the last figure I recall was about 50,000 in Addresso (this included ANZO and US, not just UK), including "bookbuyers". I use quote marks because that included people who had addresses (illegally) tabbed as "Reach" in 1968, who hadn't been heard of since.

Paul
You can be sure that the figure is much lower now.

Smilla

Ordinary Human
Not to be funny - but have you ever been a scientologist? I am asking because if you had been a scientologist you would know that such future planning is not part of Scientology planning.

Let me go over why this whole thing would be a huge boon to critics and huge shot in the foot for Scientology. Bear with me.

Why is there even a Scientology Church in Plymouth? Much bigger cities like Liverpool, Glasgow, Leeds, Bristol, Cardiff,Newcastle do not have orgs - why does this city? Not a result of any planning that is for sure.

Plymouth Org has always been small - and I am pretty sure that it has not changed very much. The total amount of local hard core Scientologists has got to be around 150, not much more.

Hubbard was actually quite sensible on the subject of premises for orgs he was all about "affordable" and all about "location". Orgs had to be located in populous areas with large amounts of foot traffic. They had to as good as could be afforded by the organization. The idea of buying enormously expensive places on the "Field of Dreams" economic planning model was not one of his favorite ideas.

So now an org that can barely afford where it is now, is suddenly going to support a building that probably requires more upkeep and money than the entirety of their current income?

PLease do this. Please.

What will happen is what has already happened with many of these places.

The financial pressure on the staff and the hard core public will be doubled or tripled - and for no benefit.Which wil force more of them out.

The org will neglect the building and, over time, it will become the true shabby representative of the real state of affairs or it will be left empty.

So they will have a building that will be devaluing by the month, they will receive even less pay than they do now, the org will suffer enormous financial hardship and they will lose people.

All to the good.
You just posted the bottom line. Thanks :)

TalleyWhacker

Patron with Honors
Buildings and Expansion

You ever notice how at these mega events of the last decade or so that stats are typically future stats?
"potential for"
"can fit up to"
"will be able to handle"
"with a capacity for"
"new test center will be able to handle up to 155 raw public at any given time"
Future stats is a contradiction--a stat is a measurement of production already done.
If they can't quote expansion in terms of "dones"...guess what?

Of course you'd have to have statistics measured accurately in the first place to get anywhere with all this and if you're one of the few people who have ever been lucky enough to recieve mailings from the Cof$ :) you know how important it is to report honest statistics.
(Maybe that's how they get 10 million members--they count promo pieces):yes:

So it's all bunk no matter what the workability orginally was of "management by statistic"...which by the way is not science or originated or even codified by Hubbard; it's common sense.
It sure as the Hell shouldn't be part of copywrite law or "scripture" either.
:coolwink:

Mark Twain--"There's lies, damned lies and there's statistics."

ScudMuffin

Silver Meritorious Patron
Marianne Rowell, spokeswomen for the Church of Scientology, said the plan was to buy the building by the end of the year, and open it as a church and resource centre by May or June next year.

If Marrianne is doing this kind of announcement, it means that Gaeme Wilson is off post, Marrianne was in LRH PPRO office and church pr functions were never mixed with 'The Founders'.... Is this a really anal post? :no:

That is interesting. Thanks :D