What's new

Scientology 101

Anakin Skywalker

Patron with Honors
Often times ex-Scientologists are very concerned about getting existing Scientologists out of the cult.

I believe that a more fruitful thing to do would be to teach non-Scientologists who have an interest in Scientology what it is REALLY about.

A lot of sites critical of Scientology are written in Scientology-speak, and can really best be understood by a Scientologist or an ex-Scientologists, and are not suited to the new guy.

So here is my attempt at giving the new guy an inside look at Scientology:

Article with pictures can be found here:

http://scientologyculture.wordpress.com/scientology-101/

Ok, so you’ve thought of doing Dianetics or Scientology but you’d like to find out a bit more about it before you get started?

Well, I’m going to give you an inside look into Scientology, from the perspective of one who spent over a decade working full-time as a Scientologists inside Scientology organizations. And when I say “full-time”, I mean from about 8:30am till, at the very least, 10:00pm every week night, and also on most weekends. Often enough I worked until 2, 3, 4 or even 6 in the morning, only to return to post at 8:30am. And for all of this I did not even receive enough pay to properly feed myself. I worked closely with the top Scientology executives in my country, and lived with the “Sea Organization” (Scientology’s para-military organization. Yeah, I know, very “religious” of them, right?) for almost two years. So I know the ins-and-outs of scientology very well, I know them better, in fact, than most veteran Scientologists think they know them.

Being involved with Scientology is much like being in an abusive relationship—you don’t see how bad it really is whilst you are in it, and when you leave you wonder how you could possibly have put up with so much bullshit for so long.

Getting Started

Usually your first introduction into Scientology is through a friend or a book, the book most often being “Dianetics.” When you first come into Scientology you will most likely watch a short film about Scientology, or do a personality test. This test is designed to show you how “messed up” you are, and to really drive it home to you that there is something wrong with you, and that you need to change it IMMEDIATELY! They call this “finding a ruin.” They may even ask you directly “What is ruining you”, or “what is messing up your life,” or some variation of this basic theme.

Once they have successfully convinced you that you are in desperate need of their help, they will try to sell you something. The usual first step they get you to do (or was at the time I was involved) is either Dianetics counselling or “auditing” as they call it, or a course such as “Personal Values and Integrity” or “Overcoming Ups and Downs in Life”. If they see that you are fairly well off financially, they may even try to sell you professional (read “expensive”) counselling (which they call “auditing”) or the “Purification rundown” (or “Purif,” a detox program). At times they may even go directly into trying to recruit you, if their current demands are to recruit more staff. But whatever they decide to do with you, they will keep you constantly in the frame of mind that something is wrong with you, your life, and with the world at large. They will keep you in ruin, and try to convince you that in order to be happy, you need to do the next step in Scientology. It becomes a case of “the constant carrot.”

Rule by Fear

One way they have of keeping you in “ruin” is through their merchant of chaos called the IAS, or “International Association of Scientologists”. This is an organization designed to bombard Scientologists with the ideas that psychiatrists are out to destroy the world, that drugs will kill their children, that their human rights are being violated on all fronts, etc. etc. This is an organization designed to scare people into giving them money. The money so extorted is ostensibly going toward community betterment activities, but what it is really used for is to fund the lavish lifestyle at the executives at the top of the Scientology food chain (who like to beat their staff into compliance), and also to pay the legal fees against people who were harmed by Scientology, who are now suing the cult. Of course, Scientology issues no financial year end reports to its clients, and so Scientologists never become aware of this fact.

You are also kept in ruin by being told “the road to truth cannot be travelled half way,” and that doing so is tantamount to pulling the pin on a hand grenade and then not throwing it. You are further told that upon completion of any given step on their “Bridge” that you will start to dramatize the next step, and that they will need to do this next step in order to get rid of this emotional instability. Scientologists are told that in order to be truly happy in life they have to achieve the mystical states of “Clear” and “OT.” They are told that “only the clear and OT will make ‘it’”, whatever the hell “it” is supposed to be. Scientologists are constantly put in fear of an invisible enemy or threat. And so they continue on this “Bridge” because their “eternity is at stake.”

Now you can start to imagine the frame of mind in which a Scientologist is. People in Scientology are all doing badly, and are pretty much failing in life. So this is NORMAL to them. The staff are convinced this is the “state of mankind” so they think everyone out in the world is really messed up. They are being told that they have the “only workable technology of life”, and that mere “wogs” (non-Scientologists) are in terrible, terrible shape as they are not as “fortunate” as Scientologists. So of course the Scientologists believe that the rest of the world is doing even worse than what they themselves are doing, which is pretty bad!

So in essence what happens is this: the person walks in the door at a particular level of happiness, let’s say 10, for argument’s sake. They come into the organization, get put into ruin, get told how terrible everything is, and they sink down to let’s say, 5. As they go on longer and longer in Scientology they gradually drift down lower, till let’s say 4. However, they delude themselves and their friends into thinking that they are doing better. Then they get some Scientology counselling and pop up a notch, to let’s say 5. And so Scientology has “improved” them. But they never get back up to 10. It’s kind of like really appreciating being simply “not sick” after one has been terribly sick. Even “normal” begins to seem like heaven when one has been to hell. If one had never joined Scientology in the first place, but had continued working on one’s career and relationships, one may even have moved up from 10 to 15 or more.

So Scientologists go around hectically and frantically trying to “save” everybody from their own happiness. Really people, that’s how it is. After having left Scientology for good, I discovered that life is actually FUN! And it really isn’t that bad out here. Sure, bad things do exist in the world, but the way a Scientologist will describe it one would think it’s around every corner, when in fact, it is not. And I also realized that only in Scientology is Scientology a major player in the world—in the real world, Scientology amounts to almost nothing.

Hypnosis in Scientology

Perhaps this all sounds a little far-fetched to you? Perhaps you think that sane people cannot be manipulated in such a way. Well, one should also keep in mind that L. Ron Hubbard, the founder of Scientology, was a trained hypnotist, and that he knew very well how to mess with the human mind. In his earlier books he made reference to the fact of his use of hypnosis, but I think these parts have been omitted from the latest editions of his books. The earliest definition of hypnotism, as was given by James Braid who coined the term, is:

“the induction of a mental concentration in which the powers of the mind are so much engrossed with a single idea or train of thought, as to render the individual unconscious of, or indifferently conscious to, all other ideas, impressions, or trains of thought.”

—James Braid, Hypnotic Therapeutics, 1853

How could I possibly state that Hubbard is hypnotising people through his books and lectures? Come on, that sounds ridiculous, doesn’t it? Well, let’s take a look at how he engrosses the mind of a Scientologist so thoroughly that they cannot be conscious of anything opposing it:

Hubbard advocates, and sometimes even mandates, that one doesn’t read newspapers, that one doesn’t do any other spiritual practices, that one doesn’t listen to psychologists, that one disconnects from friends and family who disagree with Scientology, that one shouldn’t be a “dilettante” but that one spends all of one’s free time at the org (Scientology “Organization”), that the best thing to do is to become a dedicated Sea Organization member (by signing a billion year staff contact, no less), that Scientology is the only solution for mankind’s problems etc.

This concentration of attention is, purely by definition, a method of hypnosis. Hubbard used the techniques of hypnosis to get one hooked on Scientology.

Scientology staff

The sad thing is that Scientology staff members as a whole believe they are doing good. When the argument comes up that it is all about the money, they swear it is not, because of course they as individuals don’t make any money out of it. In fact, the pay the average Scientology staff member receives is atrocious, and the hours the more dedicated staff members work is ludicrous. They do not realize that the organizational and pay structure was so set up that the money would mostly go to Hubbard, and later, to his successors.

Scientology staff sign a 2 ½ or 5 year contract. Sea Org members sign a billion year contract. Yip, that’s right, 1 billion years. If a staff member leaves before his contract is up, he is deemed a “freeloader” and presented with a bill for any services he received for “free” whilst on staff. If a Sea Org member quits the Sea Org, he is deemed a “Degraded Being.”

Often times staff have been sent to other countries for training, and due to changes in exchange rates, one’s freeloader bill often amounts to a figure which would be impossible to repay. Of course, this “freeloader” system was really designed so as to make Hubbard more money.

When staff member go to Flag (the Scientology “Mecca”) to train, Flag staff take away their passport, mobile phone, monitor their calls and incoming mail, and even scratch out parts of mail they don’t like, and remove photos they feel may make them home-sick. They travel around in Scientology busses and are not allowed to walk alone. In essence, staff members in Flag are prisoners, and are absolutely not free to come and go as they please.

Staff members are “Security Checked” before they are allowed to end off their contracts and leave staff. A Security Check is basically a procedure whereby a person is put onto a Scientology lie detector (called an e-meter), and interrogated so as to find things which the person being interrogated believes to be wrong-doings, or has been convinced are wrongdoings. If the staff member does not do this, they are declared a “Suppressive Person,” and all their Scientology “friends” and family will disconnect from them. That’s right people, one’s own Scientology family will cease to speak to a Scientologist declared “Suppressive.” Usually these Sec Checks are dragged out for months and months, and this is really a means of keeping the person on staff far longer than their contract stipulates, because the person will not leave and risk being declared until this Sec Check has been done.

Staff are “Sec Checked” so to make them feel guilty. Scientologists have been brainwashed by Hubbard into believing that the reason they want to leave is due to their own wrong-doings, and that it has absolutely nothing to do with the wrongdoings of the Scientology organization itself. And so staff are put onto an e-meter and their “crimes” are found. And of course, anybody has things which they think they should not have done in their lives, and so naturally the interrogator will find these, vindicating the idea that people only leave due to their own “crimes.” Yes, this certainly is some sick stuff.

Staff are also Security checked before going on vacation so as to ascertain if the staff member is actually trying to leave staff for good. If a Scientology staff member falsely claims reasons why he want to go on “vacation” and it is found he is actually trying to leave staff, he is automatically declared “suppressive” as per policy, and all of his Scientology connections are forced to disconnect from him, for fear that they themselves will be declared for not doing so. Of course being declared means that one can no longer do Scientology, and to the Scientologist this means that their eternal salvation is doomed. Furthermore, staff are Sec Checked upon arriving back so as to make sure no friend or family member has tried to talk them out of Scientology whilst they were on holiday.

Another reason they Sec Check you, and one wouldn’t know this unless one worked for the Office of Special Affairs (OSA, basically like the Secret Service Bureau of Scientology) or some high up echelon of the Sea Org, is for blackmail purposes. That’s right, if you leave Scientology for good and become vocal about the abuses you witnessed whilst in, OSA will smear your good name by spreading far and wide your “crimes” which were uncovered during your Sec Checks. In extreme cases they will actually send Private Investigators to track your every move, search your garbage, trace your movements, find out who you are connected to. At times they will send people to follow you around with cameras, not even necessarily taking any photos of you, but just trying to intimidate you.

Sea Organization staff members are subjected to weekly checks on the e-meter to see if they have transgressed against Scientology. If the meter shows that one has things one wishes to hide, one is told to write these all down, in what is termed an “O/W write-up.” One interesting thing about an O/W write-up is that they are almost always hand-written. Why is this? Well, think about it, if an ex-staff member were to become an enemy of Scientology, what better way would Scientology have of besmirching their good name than by presenting all their bad deeds, written in their own hand-writing? When staff members apply for training at a senior Scientology organization, they are made to write a complete life history, by answering a list of questions. Often times such life history is also hand-written. Once again, such information is kept for possible future use against the staff member.

And don’t think your children are exempt from being recruited for Scientology staff, as even 12 year olds are signed up. Yes, this is illegal, but they do it nonetheless. If you do not let your kids join staff or the Sea Org, reports will be written on you. Yes that’s right, in Scientology if you do anything considered “bad”, your friends and associates will write little reports on you, to tell the organization what a bad boy or girl you’ve been. In fact, it is Scientology policy that if they do not write such reports on you, they themselves will be considered as guilty as what you are, and they will receive the same punishment. Furthermore, should you not allow your child to join staff, you may even be interrogated on the e-meter, and you may even be threatened with your “eternal salvation.” Many Scientology kids are taken out of school to join staff, with the promise that they will be “home schooled,” however this never happens, they are never home schooled.

So at the end of the day you get a whole bunch of kids on staff who are put into senior positions where they have the authority to go around telling adults what is right or wrong with their lives, who brag that they “skipped my childhood years” (as if this is a good thing), who have no high school education. Basically Scientologists breeds poorly educated individuals who only know Scientology, and can only work for Scientology organizations or other Scientologists.

Usually when one leaves staff after having served for so many years, one has no money, no car, no house and no resume worth anything. Often enough one drifts around aimlessly for months, at which time the recruiter pops along and offers one the opportunity to be “important” and “productive” once again by joining staff in the Scientology organization. Scientology can basically be summed up as “The place where losers can get to feel important.”

Scientology is your relationship

Most Scientologists only date other Scientologists, and their friends are mostly Scientologists. Of course, what they mostly speak about to each other is Scientology. I’ve even heard from a Scientologist friend that when they dated a non-Scientologist they were called in to the organization to be interrogated about it.

But Scientology's level of interference in one's relationships does not stop at that. They will even go so far as to MANDATE that one cease a relationship they deem unfit, by issuing something they call a “Separation Order.” Of course, one usually complies with such an order, or else one's “eternity” gets threatened. Within the first two years or so of my Scientology career I met and fell in love with a student who came to our organization from another country in order to study with us. As my contract was nearing an end, my girl and I had decided that I would go back with her to her country once I had completed it. This was seen as completely treasonous to my organization, and my executive director threatened to declare me a “Suppressive Person,” and issued a separation order on us. Stupidly, I complied. I should have punched him in the face.

And it's not just the relationships of public and ordinary staff members that get interfered with, as married Sea Org members are often sent to work in different parts of the country from each other, or even to different parts of the world. And no, they don't have a choice about this.

Scientology even goes so far as to interfere with one's sex life. The culture which is Scientology places a heavy emphasis on the evils of sex. To Scientologists such things as masturbation, toys, premarital sex and being gay are evils. Placing such taboos on things which are seen as ordinary in the real world has created a sexually-perverted culture in Scientology. Scientology makes such an issue about not partaking in certain sexual activities that many Scientologists OBSESSIVELY do exactly that, but they do so on the sly. And as Scientologists practically only date other Scientologists, the scene becomes almost incestuous, with many Scientologists having dated the same person in on particular group. Actual sexual transgressions such as adultery, oddly enough, are often overlooked in Scientology. I could never figure out why this was. Perhaps in the instances I saw such things being overlooked it was due to the fact of one of the offending parties having an important position on staff, or because they donated a lot of money to Scientology.

Sea Org members are not allow to engage in “heavy petting” before they are married. So you have all these teenagers with hormones raging who are not being allowed to explore their natural sexuality. So what do they do? They up and get married at 17 years young, sometimes earlier. Marriage to a Sea Org member is like dating, divorce is like a breakup.

Sea Org members are also not allowed to express their natural biological urge to have children. If a Sea Org member is to have a child, she will be forced to leave the Sea Org. Her husband can decide whether or not her wants to leave with her. Often enough the pregnant Sea Org member is forced to have an abortion, or made to feel so guilty about fulfilling her biological urges, that she herself decides to have an abortion. If she refuses, she is often sentenced to hard manual labour until the baby aborts due to the strain. I’m not making this stuff up people, this is real live evil at work.

Scientology private prison

Scientology also has its own private prison for Sea Org members, called the “Rehabilitation” Project Force. International executives have their own prison which has been dubbed “The Hole.” Were you to ask any of these Sea Org members if they are there on their own free will they will tell you that they are, but how much free will does one have when one is being threatened with one’s spiritual eternity if one does not go to prison and “repent”?

In these prison camps Sea Org members are subjected to sleep deprivation, poor nutrition, hard manual labour and verbal and physical abuse. These are proven methods of brainwashing. This system is designed to get the Sea Org member to obey utterly, and become a complete robot who will do anything his master commands. Nice obedient slaves is what the RPF is designed to produce.

Scientology elitism

Scientologists will tell you that they believe in God, but they really don’t. They lie about it because they think you are “not ready for it.” Hubbard states in his book Science of Survival that only the thoroughly depraved do not believe in a higher being, and also states in one of his lectures that the Scientologist is taking responsibility for everything else, so they might as well take responsibility for being God. So Hubbard believes that the “higher being” is each individual Scientologist, with him being the most superior of all.

This “higher being” in Scientology is dubbed by Hubbard as an “OT,” who supposedly has mystical powers, and is “cause over matter, energy, space, time, form and life.” Hubbard creates a real mystery around the OT levels, by making them confidential, by charging a high price for them, and by saying that one can only do them when one is “ready” for them, and that doing them prematurely will result in the person dying of pneumonia! Of course all scientologists really want to do these levels, if for no other reason than to “discover” the “mysteries of this sector of the universe!” The actual truth is that “OTs” have no “OT” abilities, but because they cannot discuss the OT levels, even with a spouse who has done the same level, they never actually get to analyse it or express what they actually feel about it with someone they can trust.

So OTs go around thinking there is something wrong with them individually, and that they must be the only Scientologist who feels this was. They pretend to have had these great gains, so as to fit in, because of course they don’t want to be outcast. With some Scientologists however, having done the OT levels only serves to boost their own egos. They are so self-deluded that they somehow think they have abilities that exceed that of other mere mortals. They really do believe that they are better than other people. They really are quite annoying in this regard.

In fact, one very big characteristic of a Scientologist is his attitude of superiority. Scientologists have an array of disparaging terms for others, such as “Wogs,” “Raw meat,” “Degraded Beings,” “Suppressive Person,” and others.

Scientology fanaticism

Hubbard indoctrinates Scientologists into accepting his way of life by constantly repeating his ideas in recorded lectures, videos, and his books. Whilst I was still in Scientology it seemed to me that his lectures contained very little actual information, and were mostly stories which Hubbard was relating. Of course I did not relay my thoughts on this to other Scientologists, as I thought I might have missed something. After all, other Scientologists were telling me how they were having “amazing wins” from the lectures. Now I realize that they were merely deluding themselves. Hubbard’s lectures were mostly his public relations vehicle, where he could paint himself in good light, as well as indoctrinate Scientologists with his unusual views of things.

One of the weird views Hubbard had is that anyone who is against Scientology is a criminal, and is against spiritual betterment. Hubbard has brainwashed Scientologists into believing this. It makes Scientologists feel good to believe that those attacking Scientology are criminal, as what they are saying can thereby be easily discounted. Believing that those attacking Scientology are merely criminals means that Scientologists need not inspect their cult to actually confront the crimes and human rights abuses which Scientology is committing.

Hubbard also wrote a policy letter entitled “Signs of Success” in which he actually manages to persuade Scientologists that if people are attacking Scientology, Scientology is doing well! What a perfect way to take any blame away from Scientology, to make it exempt from any wrong-doing! Yes, Hubbard certainly was a very smart man. Manipulative, but oh so very smart.

Hubbard successfully convinces Scientologists that his lifetime is unimportant. He manages to get Scientologists to believe that if Scientology is not successful, they will suffer in misery lifetime after lifetime after lifetime. And what is one lifetime compared to billions of lifetimes to come? Now think back on that billion year Sea Org contract: what it does is firmly reinforce the notion that one has many, many lifetimes to live. This makes it ok to put up with the extreme, inhuman conditions of the Sea Organization without complaining. In fact, it can even make the Sea Org member feel like somewhat of a hero.

To one who believes that he has many lifetimes waiting for him, but only one in which he can make sure that things will be bearable for himself and his loved ones, working for slave labour pay is no longer an issue, not seeing one’s family does not become an issue, no longer having fun is not an issue, giving away all of one’s money is no longer an issue, losing one’s self is no longer an issue, no longer having a hobby is no issue. In fact, a Scientologist who wants his hobbies, who wants to spend time with family, who wants to go for BBQs etc. is termed a “dilettante” and seen as somewhat of an “ethics particle,” i.e. someone who is being unethical. In effect, one sells one’s soul to Scientology.

As an interesting note, the time I first started exiting Scientology is when I actually started to do things for myself again, such as going to movies, or taking a vacation which I had not done in years, and restarting old hobbies I had abandoned. Funnily enough I started doing these things as part of an “ethics handling,” whereas as usually the outcome of an ethics handling is that the person just does even more for Scientology, and even further abandons himself, as doing more Scientology is always seen as the best solution, it being “the greatest good for the greatest number.”

Scientology “ethics” is really just a tool to make you feel guilty about just about everything. It makes you think YOU are at fault, and not Scientology. It is a means of making you do what is good for Scientology, as opposed to doing what is good for you. Scientologists are brainwashed into believing that one who has criticisms has moral transgressions. So of course, Scientologists seldom openly criticise the Scientology organizations.

Scientologists are also brainwashed into believing that if they leave Scientology it is due to their own crimes. This prevents many people from leaving Scientology. Often enough even those who have left Scientology don’t openly admit to it, and put up a happy front and say they have not been in the organization simply because they are “busy”, and not because they are unhappy about anything.

Hubbard makes sure that Scientologists don’t read psychology texts, and he constantly criticizes both psychology and psychiatry. The reason he prevents one form reading psychology is because he makes extensive use of psychology in Scientology, and does not want you to realize that he is not the actual source of much of the work found in Scientology. In fact, the entire subject of Dianetics is a rehash of a psychological practice called Abreaction Therapy, which he became familiar with whilst spending time as a patient in a naval hospital. Hubbard convinces Scientologists that he is the only one who came up with workable solutions to the human mind. Were one to study psychology, one would discover that there are many very workable techniques outside of Scientology to improve one’s overall levels of happiness and well being Furthermore, he uses psychology tools to hypnotize and fool you, and he doesn't want you knowing this.

Apart from psychology, Hubbard drew on many sources to create Scientology, from Buddhism, to the work of the magician Alistair Crowley, and many others. Yet he was arrogant enough to claim that he was the only source of the technology of Scientology, and that he alone held the tools for man’s spiritual salvation, and that Scientology is the “only hope for mankind.”

Scientology “technology”

The Scientology tool for bringing about “spiritual salvation” is their counselling, which they term “auditing.” Auditing is a tool whereby one is made to look into the past for solutions to one's future. They do this using their e-meter. The basic premise is that the past is still very much alive, and has an effect on the person. I find this concept to be a trap. What I have observed is that this idea holds Scientologists back. It keeps them constantly thinking there is something wrong with them, and that they need fixing up, and that they have not reached their full potential, and that they are, in fact, incapable of doing so until such time as they have done all the Scientology counselling available to them, and have completely analysed to death all of their past issues. Whenever something goes wrong in a Scientologist's life he seeks auditing, as Hubbard says that auditing is the solution to everything. “Solve it with auditing” is the basic idea.

Personally I am more inclined to think that:

“Life is not a process of discovery, but a process of creation. You are not discovering yourself, but creating yourself anew.”

This was written by Neale Donald Walsh, in his work Conversations with God. I find that this point of view allows one to be in control of one's own life. In Scientology it is assumed that if one has had a certain way of doing things, this will be one's pattern forever and for always, unless the person gets auditing. It keeps a person stuck into fixed behaviour patterns. With the concept of “creating yourself anew” the person has no such limitations or dependency upon someone's system.

During auditing I once “discovered” that in a previous lifetime, in 1965, I was a man of around 35 years of age living in the UK. Yet during another auditing session I had “discovered” that I was a 16 year old boy living in the USA, also during 1965. Was I being two people at once? Or was I simply imagining all of it in the first place?

I have heard other Scientologists tell me how in their previous lifetime they worked directly with L. Ron Hubbard on one of his ships, but if they were to actually have done the math, they would find this would have been impossible. Of course as a Scientologist one does not question such things too much, one simply thinks that one has so much more to learn about the mind, and that one will discover the true answers further up Hubbard's “Bridge to total freedom.” Yes, Hubbard stops one from thinking for oneself. Or put otherwise, one allows Hubbard to make one stop thinking for oneself.

Have you ever woken up from a dream that was so intense, so real, that it still kind of seems like it actually happened? Or a dream so real that you still feels the emotions of the dream very strongly once awake? Well, to me it is the same with auditing. During auditing the mind makes up many strange things, complete with emotion and thought, so real in fact, that one begins to believe that they really did happen. That the mind can create things which seem really real to one does not, in actuality, make them real.

An example which clearly illustrates this point to me is when Scientologists are told that their auditing will go much faster when they listen to L. Ron Hubbard's lectures, or read his books. What usually happened, and it was a rather funny thing to see, is that the person would read about a particular thing in Hubbard's books, and in the very next session that thing would come up! The person had gone for years and years in auditing without ever having come across this thing, but as Hubbard told him they existed, they suddenly came up in his auditing session! It was simply a matter of hypnotic suggestion at work.

At some point in the Scientologist's career they decide that Hubbard knew best, and that they themselves, being mere mortals, know nothing compared to the knowledge Hubbard had. And it is at that point that it's Game Over for the Scientologists, they have now become complete robots, who will not, and who cannot think for themselves.

How Scientology is run

The current management of Scientology perpetuate Hubbard’s ideas that Scientology is big and expanding and a vital movement on Earth by holding many public relations events throughout the year. These events are held live in the USA and recorded versions thereof are sent to all Scientology organizations throughout the world, so they can be shown there. Even whilst still in Scientology I noticed how false information about my organization was being portrayed in these events. This made me wonder about how much of what was being told about the other organizations throughout the world was in fact true. As it turns out, a lot of it was also untrue.

All Scientologists who own their own businesses are made to become members of the World Institute of Scientology Enterprises or “WISE.” If they refuse to become members, they are refused Scientology services. A Scientologist is not allowed to run their own business without paying an annual WISE membership, and the better their business does, the more they have to pay. Yes, Scientology is all about the money after all.

Scientologists are promised that they can get a refund, should they so choose. They are told that they must come into the organization to do the necessary paperwork if they decide to go ahead with a refund request. However, they also make you sign an indemnity form before each service you start, stating that you give up your right to refund if you sue the cult. What this basically means is that if they drag their feet in repaying you, you have no recourse and cannot sue. The latest trick off Scientology to prevent you from getting your money back is to say that you must come into the organization to get the repayment, but unfortunately you can’t come in to fill in their required paperwork as you’ve been “expelled” due to your own transgression against the “religious” policies of the “church.” Yes, Scientology is a criminal organization, and it is all about the money.

Hubbard instituted a system of “Rewards and Penalties,” whereby if one’s statistics are down one is penalised, and if one’s statistics are up one could be rewarded. The time period during which the statistics are being analysed are completely arbitrary, so a person in effect could be awarded or penalized as was seen fit. He also came up with something termed a “Liability Condition,” in which a Scientologist who is already working ridiculous hours for slave pay, must still somehow go “above and beyond” to “make amends” for taking on the “color of an enemy.”

Scientology often uses the slogan “think for yourself” to attract new customers. This is a campaign designed to harness the rebel in someone, and get them to reactively join Scientology. What actually happens to such a person is that they STOP thinking for themselves, and start to “Do what Ron would do.”

Hubbard’s ego was so big that the claimed “everyone is a Scientologist, they just don’t know it yet.” Hubbard tried to take ownership of natural laws and practices which existed since the start of the human race, and put them all under the banner of “Scientology.” No, they are NOT Scientology, they are natural laws, and all people are not Scientologists, they are people who are governed by natural laws. As an example, acknowledgements, a common human courtesy, suddenly becomes a Scientology invention in Hubbard’s mind.

I have witnessed Scientologist’s “confidential” counselling sessions being discussed amongst staff, and seen how the most intimate details about the person gets laughed about. I have heard staff joking about and being extremely critical of other Scientologists at executive meetings and event meetings where it is discussed how to best extort something from each individual Scientologist. Scientologists will say the most horrible things about you behind your back, but will quickly be friendly to you when they think they can get something out of you. And after they are done chewing you up, and they find that you are no longer of any value to them, they will spit you out, and tell other Scientologists how bad you actually are, despite how great they thought you were during the years you were there doing as they dictated. Yes, they will betray you at the drop of a hat, and discuss your “confidential” information you gave to them in trust, don't ever doubt that.

Despite all of this, a lot of Scientologists are sincerely good people, yet they are people who cannot conceive that evil can be so evil as to conceal itself as good fighting against evil, and in so doing use the person’s own good against them.

Scientology has many front groups, such as drug rehabilitation, criminal rehabilitation, and human rights groups. All of these groups are actually PR groups, with the purpose and end product of such being stated as “acceptance of Scientology.” Yes, Scientology’s very own management flow chart states that these organizations are designed merely to create acceptance of Scientology, yet somehow those working in these organization believe they were designed because Hubbard gave a damn about these things. No, it is only the people involved who are doing the work who give a damn, and they don’t realize and don’t want to accept that their good natures are merely bring exploited. These organizations, like much of Scientology, are all about PR.

Scientology staff and public are subjected to heavy pressures to get statistics up, and this often makes them do extreme and even stupid things. Combined with the fact the Hubbard constantly reiterates that the person’s “eternity is at stake if Scientology doesn’t make it,” this puts the Scientologist into a very anxious frame of mind. In psychology it has been found that the more meaningful a potential loss is, the more loss averse we become, meaning we don’t want to give up our hold on the loss, even when it’s economically, emotionally or otherwise stupid not to do so. So when Scientologists are pressurized in the extreme fashion they are, they buckle, and really do get themselves into difficulties.

Under the extreme pressures of joining staff and paying money to Scientology, relationships are ended, and friends betray and basically steal from friends. Often times if it weren’t for the interference of Scientology, such relationships would never have gone sour in the first place.

Scientologists will often mortgage their houses in order to donate money to Scientology, they will take their kids out of school so they can join staff, they will use their inheritance to buy books and lectures they will not use for ages to come, they will relocate, they will quit their jobs. I have even seen public being interrogated on the e-meter if they did not donate to Scientology. Scientology will portray itself as a fun, exciting thing to do through its advertisements and promotional items, yet nothing could be further from the truth.

Scientology states that its purpose is to create a better world, yet instead of putting their materials on the internet where it would be free and available for all, they charge EXORBITANT fees for them. They say this is to cover costs, yet they spend millions of dollars of producing expensive printing and CD manufacturing facilities, whereas putting lectures and books on the internet requires absolutely no such costs.

The general response of Scientology toward a former member now speaking out against the abuses of Scientology is to say that they are a disgruntled ex-member who was expelled by the Church. What really happens is the person gets to the point where they have had enough of the abuses in the organization, they leave, and then get vocal about it. In defence, Scientology now “expels” the person who has already left! Scientology makes use of character assassinations in an attempt to discredit the person speaking out about Scientology, and thereby discredit what they are saying.

Summary

Please don’t be fooled into thinking that the problems in Scientology arise only from the current management system—the problems are inherent flaws of Scientology. They are a by-product of the very philosophy of elitism which Hubbard created. Doing Scientology outside the confines of “Corporate Scientology” is as big a self-delusion as it would be to do it within the corporate structure—the lies of Scientology remain lies.

Scientology claims that its organizations are “Islands of sanity” whereas they are really “Islands of ignorance, and insanity.” In summary, here is how one ex-Scientologist who goes by the name of Alanzo put it:

“Scientology deserves all the ridicule and derisive satire that can be heaped upon it. But Scientology is not funny. It ruins people utterly. It takes a person’s highest hopes and ideals, and his most divine impulses, and it exploits these, and uses them against him, until all the life has been sucked out of him. And then it gives him his own gun, to insert into the roof of his own mouth, to pull the trigger.”

The complete article with pictures and all can be found here:

http://scientologyculture.wordpress.com/scientology-101

This rest of this site also has a ton of really hard to find information about Hubbard and Scientology.

Please spread far and wide!

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
Have you ever woken up from a dream that was so intense, so real, that it still kind of seems like it actually happened? Or a dream so real that you still feels the emotions of the dream very strongly once awake? Well, to me it is the same with auditing. During auditing the mind makes up many strange things, complete with emotion and thought, so real in fact, that one begins to believe that they really did happen. That the mind can create things which seem really real to one does not, in actuality, make them real.

An example which clearly illustrates this point to me is when Scientologists are told that their auditing will go much faster when they listen to L. Ron Hubbard's lectures, or read his books. What usually happened, and it was a rather funny thing to see, is that the person would read about a particular thing in Hubbard's books, and in the very next session that thing would come up! The person had gone for years and years in auditing without ever having come across this thing, but as Hubbard told him they existed, they suddenly came up in his auditing session! It was simply a matter of hypnotic suggestion at work.

Lots of good material here! I know some will say "TLDR" but I read through it and hope other lurkers do also.

The above section really resonated with me, I saw it happen in my own history as well as many others.

I have a friend who is still a True Believer and is still SO completely certain of her fantasies that were instilled by the crap she read. I believe she will go to her death believing it's all true. And although she is now free of the "Church" she is not free of the mental garbage that she continues to believe in. She is one of the most messed up people I know and yet she believes she is "more aware" than most people and is only messed up because David Miscavige kept her and other people from "really going OT"! Sad.

Gadfly

Crusader
I have a friend who is still a True Believer and is still SO completely certain of her fantasies that were instilled by the crap she read. I believe she will go to her death believing it's all true. And although she is now free of the "Church" she is not free of the mental garbage that she continues to believe in. She is one of the most messed up people I know and yet she believes she is "more aware" than most people and is only messed up because David Miscavige kept her and other people from "really going OT"! Sad.

That is a great point! :thumbsup:

This brings up just another of the many contradictions in Scientology.

Hubbard talks about "knowing" and "knowing about". He talks about it quite well actually. Hubbard discusses how "knowing about" involves collecting information, bits of data, and observations, whereas "knowing" is . . . . . . KNOWING!

Morpheus: Don't think you can, KNOW you can! (about jumping from one building to the other)

"Knowing about" is actually a form of thinkingness.

Yet, most Scientologists and ex-Scios (as you mention above) thoroughly confuse knowing with knowing about. But, it is FAR worse than that. Why?

It is far worse, because what they "know about" and hold as true is the collection of Hubbard's lies, bogus statements, exaggerated claims, and PR. The large majority of the content of what he or she "knows about" are FIXED IDEAS. What the person has accepted and adopted as true, and thus "knows about", is the Scientology paradigm. And such people often mistake "knowing about" with "knowing".

In Scientology:

Knowing = BELIEVING

Certainty = FAITH

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Excellent idea. I visited the Wordpress page too. I started going through it minutely, but got tired after a bit. Sorry! My comments from what I did look at:

1. “What is ruining you” should be “What is ruining you?” and “what is messing up your life,” should be “what is messing up your life?” if you are giving these as direct quotes.

2. "fund the lavish lifestyle at the executives at the top" should be "... lifestyle of the ...". But I only really hear about the lavish lifestyle these days of the Dwarf and not so much others in RTC or IAS.

3. I would replace "dramatize" with "act out," the non-Scn equivalent.

-----

On the blog, I would suggest a slightly different format, the equivalent of giving a thumbnail image and a full-size image if one wants the expanded view. Namely, brutally summarize each section in a few sentences each, so that a visitor can quickly get the gist of it. With a link to an expanded view of any section if the reader wants to check out that bit further.

Paul

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller

An introduction to Scientology that doesn't mention Xenu?? Otherwise, great stuff. Thanks.

Mojo

Silver Meritorious Patron
Beautiful. Rich. Deep. Thorough. Thoughtful. Refreshing.

Thank you.

Mojo

Often times ex-Scientologists are very concerned about getting existing Scientologists out of the cult.

I believe that a more fruitful thing to do would be to teach non-Scientologists who have an interest in Scientology what it is REALLY about.

A lot of sites critical of Scientology are written in Scientology-speak, and can really best be understood by a Scientologist or an ex-Scientologists, and are not suited to the new guy.

So here is my attempt at giving the new guy an inside look at Scientology:

Article with pictures can be found here:

http://scientologyculture.wordpress.com/scientology-101/

Ok, so you’ve thought of doing Dianetics or Scientology but you’d like to find out a bit more about it before you get started?

Well, I’m going to give you an inside look into Scientology, from the perspective of one who spent over a decade working full-time as a Scientologists inside Scientology organizations. And when I say “full-time”, I mean from about 8:30am till, at the very least, 10:00pm every week night, and also on most weekends. Often enough I worked until 2, 3, 4 or even 6 in the morning, only to return to post at 8:30am. And for all of this I did not even receive enough pay to properly feed myself. I worked closely with the top Scientology executives in my country, and lived with the “Sea Organization” (Scientology’s para-military organization. Yeah, I know, very “religious” of them, right?) for almost two years. So I know the ins-and-outs of scientology very well, I know them better, in fact, than most veteran Scientologists think they know them.

Being involved with Scientology is much like being in an abusive relationship—you don’t see how bad it really is whilst you are in it, and when you leave you wonder how you could possibly have put up with so much bullshit for so long.

Getting Started

Usually your first introduction into Scientology is through a friend or a book, the book most often being “Dianetics.” When you first come into Scientology you will most likely watch a short film about Scientology, or do a personality test. This test is designed to show you how “messed up” you are, and to really drive it home to you that there is something wrong with you, and that you need to change it IMMEDIATELY! They call this “finding a ruin.” They may even ask you directly “What is ruining you”, or “what is messing up your life,” or some variation of this basic theme.

Once they have successfully convinced you that you are in desperate need of their help, they will try to sell you something. The usual first step they get you to do (or was at the time I was involved) is either Dianetics counselling or “auditing” as they call it, or a course such as “Personal Values and Integrity” or “Overcoming Ups and Downs in Life”. If they see that you are fairly well off financially, they may even try to sell you professional (read “expensive”) counselling (which they call “auditing”) or the “Purification rundown” (or “Purif,” a detox program). At times they may even go directly into trying to recruit you, if their current demands are to recruit more staff. But whatever they decide to do with you, they will keep you constantly in the frame of mind that something is wrong with you, your life, and with the world at large. They will keep you in ruin, and try to convince you that in order to be happy, you need to do the next step in Scientology. It becomes a case of “the constant carrot.”

Rule by Fear

One way they have of keeping you in “ruin” is through their merchant of chaos called the IAS, or “International Association of Scientologists”. This is an organization designed to bombard Scientologists with the ideas that psychiatrists are out to destroy the world, that drugs will kill their children, that their human rights are being violated on all fronts, etc. etc. This is an organization designed to scare people into giving them money. The money so extorted is ostensibly going toward community betterment activities, but what it is really used for is to fund the lavish lifestyle at the executives at the top of the Scientology food chain (who like to beat their staff into compliance), and also to pay the legal fees against people who were harmed by Scientology, who are now suing the cult. Of course, Scientology issues no financial year end reports to its clients, and so Scientologists never become aware of this fact.

You are also kept in ruin by being told “the road to truth cannot be travelled half way,” and that doing so is tantamount to pulling the pin on a hand grenade and then not throwing it. You are further told that upon completion of any given step on their “Bridge” that you will start to dramatize the next step, and that they will need to do this next step in order to get rid of this emotional instability. Scientologists are told that in order to be truly happy in life they have to achieve the mystical states of “Clear” and “OT.” They are told that “only the clear and OT will make ‘it’”, whatever the hell “it” is supposed to be. Scientologists are constantly put in fear of an invisible enemy or threat. And so they continue on this “Bridge” because their “eternity is at stake.”

Now you can start to imagine the frame of mind in which a Scientologist is. People in Scientology are all doing badly, and are pretty much failing in life. So this is NORMAL to them. The staff are convinced this is the “state of mankind” so they think everyone out in the world is really messed up. They are being told that they have the “only workable technology of life”, and that mere “wogs” (non-Scientologists) are in terrible, terrible shape as they are not as “fortunate” as Scientologists. So of course the Scientologists believe that the rest of the world is doing even worse than what they themselves are doing, which is pretty bad!

So in essence what happens is this: the person walks in the door at a particular level of happiness, let’s say 10, for argument’s sake. They come into the organization, get put into ruin, get told how terrible everything is, and they sink down to let’s say, 5. As they go on longer and longer in Scientology they gradually drift down lower, till let’s say 4. However, they delude themselves and their friends into thinking that they are doing better. Then they get some Scientology counselling and pop up a notch, to let’s say 5. And so Scientology has “improved” them. But they never get back up to 10. It’s kind of like really appreciating being simply “not sick” after one has been terribly sick. Even “normal” begins to seem like heaven when one has been to hell. If one had never joined Scientology in the first place, but had continued working on one’s career and relationships, one may even have moved up from 10 to 15 or more.

So Scientologists go around hectically and frantically trying to “save” everybody from their own happiness. Really people, that’s how it is. After having left Scientology for good, I discovered that life is actually FUN! And it really isn’t that bad out here. Sure, bad things do exist in the world, but the way a Scientologist will describe it one would think it’s around every corner, when in fact, it is not. And I also realized that only in Scientology is Scientology a major player in the world—in the real world, Scientology amounts to almost nothing.

Hypnosis in Scientology

Perhaps this all sounds a little far-fetched to you? Perhaps you think that sane people cannot be manipulated in such a way. Well, one should also keep in mind that L. Ron Hubbard, the founder of Scientology, was a trained hypnotist, and that he knew very well how to mess with the human mind. In his earlier books he made reference to the fact of his use of hypnosis, but I think these parts have been omitted from the latest editions of his books. The earliest definition of hypnotism, as was given by James Braid who coined the term, is:

“the induction of a mental concentration in which the powers of the mind are so much engrossed with a single idea or train of thought, as to render the individual unconscious of, or indifferently conscious to, all other ideas, impressions, or trains of thought.”

—James Braid, Hypnotic Therapeutics, 1853

How could I possibly state that Hubbard is hypnotising people through his books and lectures? Come on, that sounds ridiculous, doesn’t it? Well, let’s take a look at how he engrosses the mind of a Scientologist so thoroughly that they cannot be conscious of anything opposing it:

Hubbard advocates, and sometimes even mandates, that one doesn’t read newspapers, that one doesn’t do any other spiritual practices, that one doesn’t listen to psychologists, that one disconnects from friends and family who disagree with Scientology, that one shouldn’t be a “dilettante” but that one spends all of one’s free time at the org (Scientology “Organization”), that the best thing to do is to become a dedicated Sea Organization member (by signing a billion year staff contact, no less), that Scientology is the only solution for mankind’s problems etc.

This concentration of attention is, purely by definition, a method of hypnosis. Hubbard used the techniques of hypnosis to get one hooked on Scientology.

Scientology staff

The sad thing is that Scientology staff members as a whole believe they are doing good. When the argument comes up that it is all about the money, they swear it is not, because of course they as individuals don’t make any money out of it. In fact, the pay the average Scientology staff member receives is atrocious, and the hours the more dedicated staff members work is ludicrous. They do not realize that the organizational and pay structure was so set up that the money would mostly go to Hubbard, and later, to his successors.

Scientology staff sign a 2 ½ or 5 year contract. Sea Org members sign a billion year contract. Yip, that’s right, 1 billion years. If a staff member leaves before his contract is up, he is deemed a “freeloader” and presented with a bill for any services he received for “free” whilst on staff. If a Sea Org member quits the Sea Org, he is deemed a “Degraded Being.”

Often times staff have been sent to other countries for training, and due to changes in exchange rates, one’s freeloader bill often amounts to a figure which would be impossible to repay. Of course, this “freeloader” system was really designed so as to make Hubbard more money.

When staff member go to Flag (the Scientology “Mecca”) to train, Flag staff take away their passport, mobile phone, monitor their calls and incoming mail, and even scratch out parts of mail they don’t like, and remove photos they feel may make them home-sick. They travel around in Scientology busses and are not allowed to walk alone. In essence, staff members in Flag are prisoners, and are absolutely not free to come and go as they please.

Staff members are “Security Checked” before they are allowed to end off their contracts and leave staff. A Security Check is basically a procedure whereby a person is put onto a Scientology lie detector (called an e-meter), and interrogated so as to find things which the person being interrogated believes to be wrong-doings, or has been convinced are wrongdoings. If the staff member does not do this, they are declared a “Suppressive Person,” and all their Scientology “friends” and family will disconnect from them. That’s right people, one’s own Scientology family will cease to speak to a Scientologist declared “Suppressive.” Usually these Sec Checks are dragged out for months and months, and this is really a means of keeping the person on staff far longer than their contract stipulates, because the person will not leave and risk being declared until this Sec Check has been done.

Staff are “Sec Checked” so to make them feel guilty. Scientologists have been brainwashed by Hubbard into believing that the reason they want to leave is due to their own wrong-doings, and that it has absolutely nothing to do with the wrongdoings of the Scientology organization itself. And so staff are put onto an e-meter and their “crimes” are found. And of course, anybody has things which they think they should not have done in their lives, and so naturally the interrogator will find these, vindicating the idea that people only leave due to their own “crimes.” Yes, this certainly is some sick stuff.

Staff are also Security checked before going on vacation so as to ascertain if the staff member is actually trying to leave staff for good. If a Scientology staff member falsely claims reasons why he want to go on “vacation” and it is found he is actually trying to leave staff, he is automatically declared “suppressive” as per policy, and all of his Scientology connections are forced to disconnect from him, for fear that they themselves will be declared for not doing so. Of course being declared means that one can no longer do Scientology, and to the Scientologist this means that their eternal salvation is doomed. Furthermore, staff are Sec Checked upon arriving back so as to make sure no friend or family member has tried to talk them out of Scientology whilst they were on holiday.

Another reason they Sec Check you, and one wouldn’t know this unless one worked for the Office of Special Affairs (OSA, basically like the Secret Service Bureau of Scientology) or some high up echelon of the Sea Org, is for blackmail purposes. That’s right, if you leave Scientology for good and become vocal about the abuses you witnessed whilst in, OSA will smear your good name by spreading far and wide your “crimes” which were uncovered during your Sec Checks. In extreme cases they will actually send Private Investigators to track your every move, search your garbage, trace your movements, find out who you are connected to. At times they will send people to follow you around with cameras, not even necessarily taking any photos of you, but just trying to intimidate you.

Sea Organization staff members are subjected to weekly checks on the e-meter to see if they have transgressed against Scientology. If the meter shows that one has things one wishes to hide, one is told to write these all down, in what is termed an “O/W write-up.” One interesting thing about an O/W write-up is that they are almost always hand-written. Why is this? Well, think about it, if an ex-staff member were to become an enemy of Scientology, what better way would Scientology have of besmirching their good name than by presenting all their bad deeds, written in their own hand-writing? When staff members apply for training at a senior Scientology organization, they are made to write a complete life history, by answering a list of questions. Often times such life history is also hand-written. Once again, such information is kept for possible future use against the staff member.

And don’t think your children are exempt from being recruited for Scientology staff, as even 12 year olds are signed up. Yes, this is illegal, but they do it nonetheless. If you do not let your kids join staff or the Sea Org, reports will be written on you. Yes that’s right, in Scientology if you do anything considered “bad”, your friends and associates will write little reports on you, to tell the organization what a bad boy or girl you’ve been. In fact, it is Scientology policy that if they do not write such reports on you, they themselves will be considered as guilty as what you are, and they will receive the same punishment. Furthermore, should you not allow your child to join staff, you may even be interrogated on the e-meter, and you may even be threatened with your “eternal salvation.” Many Scientology kids are taken out of school to join staff, with the promise that they will be “home schooled,” however this never happens, they are never home schooled.

So at the end of the day you get a whole bunch of kids on staff who are put into senior positions where they have the authority to go around telling adults what is right or wrong with their lives, who brag that they “skipped my childhood years” (as if this is a good thing), who have no high school education. Basically Scientologists breeds poorly educated individuals who only know Scientology, and can only work for Scientology organizations or other Scientologists.

Usually when one leaves staff after having served for so many years, one has no money, no car, no house and no resume worth anything. Often enough one drifts around aimlessly for months, at which time the recruiter pops along and offers one the opportunity to be “important” and “productive” once again by joining staff in the Scientology organization. Scientology can basically be summed up as “The place where losers can get to feel important.”

Scientology is your relationship

Most Scientologists only date other Scientologists, and their friends are mostly Scientologists. Of course, what they mostly speak about to each other is Scientology. I’ve even heard from a Scientologist friend that when they dated a non-Scientologist they were called in to the organization to be interrogated about it.

But Scientology's level of interference in one's relationships does not stop at that. They will even go so far as to MANDATE that one cease a relationship they deem unfit, by issuing something they call a “Separation Order.” Of course, one usually complies with such an order, or else one's “eternity” gets threatened. Within the first two years or so of my Scientology career I met and fell in love with a student who came to our organization from another country in order to study with us. As my contract was nearing an end, my girl and I had decided that I would go back with her to her country once I had completed it. This was seen as completely treasonous to my organization, and my executive director threatened to declare me a “Suppressive Person,” and issued a separation order on us. Stupidly, I complied. I should have punched him in the face.

And it's not just the relationships of public and ordinary staff members that get interfered with, as married Sea Org members are often sent to work in different parts of the country from each other, or even to different parts of the world. And no, they don't have a choice about this.

Scientology even goes so far as to interfere with one's sex life. The culture which is Scientology places a heavy emphasis on the evils of sex. To Scientologists such things as masturbation, toys, premarital sex and being gay are evils. Placing such taboos on things which are seen as ordinary in the real world has created a sexually-perverted culture in Scientology. Scientology makes such an issue about not partaking in certain sexual activities that many Scientologists OBSESSIVELY do exactly that, but they do so on the sly. And as Scientologists practically only date other Scientologists, the scene becomes almost incestuous, with many Scientologists having dated the same person in on particular group. Actual sexual transgressions such as adultery, oddly enough, are often overlooked in Scientology. I could never figure out why this was. Perhaps in the instances I saw such things being overlooked it was due to the fact of one of the offending parties having an important position on staff, or because they donated a lot of money to Scientology.

Sea Org members are not allow to engage in “heavy petting” before they are married. So you have all these teenagers with hormones raging who are not being allowed to explore their natural sexuality. So what do they do? They up and get married at 17 years young, sometimes earlier. Marriage to a Sea Org member is like dating, divorce is like a breakup.

Sea Org members are also not allowed to express their natural biological urge to have children. If a Sea Org member is to have a child, she will be forced to leave the Sea Org. Her husband can decide whether or not her wants to leave with her. Often enough the pregnant Sea Org member is forced to have an abortion, or made to feel so guilty about fulfilling her biological urges, that she herself decides to have an abortion. If she refuses, she is often sentenced to hard manual labour until the baby aborts due to the strain. I’m not making this stuff up people, this is real live evil at work.

Scientology private prison

Scientology also has its own private prison for Sea Org members, called the “Rehabilitation” Project Force. International executives have their own prison which has been dubbed “The Hole.” Were you to ask any of these Sea Org members if they are there on their own free will they will tell you that they are, but how much free will does one have when one is being threatened with one’s spiritual eternity if one does not go to prison and “repent”?

In these prison camps Sea Org members are subjected to sleep deprivation, poor nutrition, hard manual labour and verbal and physical abuse. These are proven methods of brainwashing. This system is designed to get the Sea Org member to obey utterly, and become a complete robot who will do anything his master commands. Nice obedient slaves is what the RPF is designed to produce.

Scientology elitism

Scientologists will tell you that they believe in God, but they really don’t. They lie about it because they think you are “not ready for it.” Hubbard states in his book Science of Survival that only the thoroughly depraved do not believe in a higher being, and also states in one of his lectures that the Scientologist is taking responsibility for everything else, so they might as well take responsibility for being God. So Hubbard believes that the “higher being” is each individual Scientologist, with him being the most superior of all.

This “higher being” in Scientology is dubbed by Hubbard as an “OT,” who supposedly has mystical powers, and is “cause over matter, energy, space, time, form and life.” Hubbard creates a real mystery around the OT levels, by making them confidential, by charging a high price for them, and by saying that one can only do them when one is “ready” for them, and that doing them prematurely will result in the person dying of pneumonia! Of course all scientologists really want to do these levels, if for no other reason than to “discover” the “mysteries of this sector of the universe!” The actual truth is that “OTs” have no “OT” abilities, but because they cannot discuss the OT levels, even with a spouse who has done the same level, they never actually get to analyse it or express what they actually feel about it with someone they can trust.

So OTs go around thinking there is something wrong with them individually, and that they must be the only Scientologist who feels this was. They pretend to have had these great gains, so as to fit in, because of course they don’t want to be outcast. With some Scientologists however, having done the OT levels only serves to boost their own egos. They are so self-deluded that they somehow think they have abilities that exceed that of other mere mortals. They really do believe that they are better than other people. They really are quite annoying in this regard.

In fact, one very big characteristic of a Scientologist is his attitude of superiority. Scientologists have an array of disparaging terms for others, such as “Wogs,” “Raw meat,” “Degraded Beings,” “Suppressive Person,” and others.

Scientology fanaticism

Hubbard indoctrinates Scientologists into accepting his way of life by constantly repeating his ideas in recorded lectures, videos, and his books. Whilst I was still in Scientology it seemed to me that his lectures contained very little actual information, and were mostly stories which Hubbard was relating. Of course I did not relay my thoughts on this to other Scientologists, as I thought I might have missed something. After all, other Scientologists were telling me how they were having “amazing wins” from the lectures. Now I realize that they were merely deluding themselves. Hubbard’s lectures were mostly his public relations vehicle, where he could paint himself in good light, as well as indoctrinate Scientologists with his unusual views of things.

One of the weird views Hubbard had is that anyone who is against Scientology is a criminal, and is against spiritual betterment. Hubbard has brainwashed Scientologists into believing this. It makes Scientologists feel good to believe that those attacking Scientology are criminal, as what they are saying can thereby be easily discounted. Believing that those attacking Scientology are merely criminals means that Scientologists need not inspect their cult to actually confront the crimes and human rights abuses which Scientology is committing.

Hubbard also wrote a policy letter entitled “Signs of Success” in which he actually manages to persuade Scientologists that if people are attacking Scientology, Scientology is doing well! What a perfect way to take any blame away from Scientology, to make it exempt from any wrong-doing! Yes, Hubbard certainly was a very smart man. Manipulative, but oh so very smart.

Hubbard successfully convinces Scientologists that his lifetime is unimportant. He manages to get Scientologists to believe that if Scientology is not successful, they will suffer in misery lifetime after lifetime after lifetime. And what is one lifetime compared to billions of lifetimes to come? Now think back on that billion year Sea Org contract: what it does is firmly reinforce the notion that one has many, many lifetimes to live. This makes it ok to put up with the extreme, inhuman conditions of the Sea Organization without complaining. In fact, it can even make the Sea Org member feel like somewhat of a hero.

To one who believes that he has many lifetimes waiting for him, but only one in which he can make sure that things will be bearable for himself and his loved ones, working for slave labour pay is no longer an issue, not seeing one’s family does not become an issue, no longer having fun is not an issue, giving away all of one’s money is no longer an issue, losing one’s self is no longer an issue, no longer having a hobby is no issue. In fact, a Scientologist who wants his hobbies, who wants to spend time with family, who wants to go for BBQs etc. is termed a “dilettante” and seen as somewhat of an “ethics particle,” i.e. someone who is being unethical. In effect, one sells one’s soul to Scientology.

As an interesting note, the time I first started exiting Scientology is when I actually started to do things for myself again, such as going to movies, or taking a vacation which I had not done in years, and restarting old hobbies I had abandoned. Funnily enough I started doing these things as part of an “ethics handling,” whereas as usually the outcome of an ethics handling is that the person just does even more for Scientology, and even further abandons himself, as doing more Scientology is always seen as the best solution, it being “the greatest good for the greatest number.”

Scientology “ethics” is really just a tool to make you feel guilty about just about everything. It makes you think YOU are at fault, and not Scientology. It is a means of making you do what is good for Scientology, as opposed to doing what is good for you. Scientologists are brainwashed into believing that one who has criticisms has moral transgressions. So of course, Scientologists seldom openly criticise the Scientology organizations.

Scientologists are also brainwashed into believing that if they leave Scientology it is due to their own crimes. This prevents many people from leaving Scientology. Often enough even those who have left Scientology don’t openly admit to it, and put up a happy front and say they have not been in the organization simply because they are “busy”, and not because they are unhappy about anything.

Hubbard makes sure that Scientologists don’t read psychology texts, and he constantly criticizes both psychology and psychiatry. The reason he prevents one form reading psychology is because he makes extensive use of psychology in Scientology, and does not want you to realize that he is not the actual source of much of the work found in Scientology. In fact, the entire subject of Dianetics is a rehash of a psychological practice called Abreaction Therapy, which he became familiar with whilst spending time as a patient in a naval hospital. Hubbard convinces Scientologists that he is the only one who came up with workable solutions to the human mind. Were one to study psychology, one would discover that there are many very workable techniques outside of Scientology to improve one’s overall levels of happiness and well being Furthermore, he uses psychology tools to hypnotize and fool you, and he doesn't want you knowing this.

Apart from psychology, Hubbard drew on many sources to create Scientology, from Buddhism, to the work of the magician Alistair Crowley, and many others. Yet he was arrogant enough to claim that he was the only source of the technology of Scientology, and that he alone held the tools for man’s spiritual salvation, and that Scientology is the “only hope for mankind.”

Scientology “technology”

The Scientology tool for bringing about “spiritual salvation” is their counselling, which they term “auditing.” Auditing is a tool whereby one is made to look into the past for solutions to one's future. They do this using their e-meter. The basic premise is that the past is still very much alive, and has an effect on the person. I find this concept to be a trap. What I have observed is that this idea holds Scientologists back. It keeps them constantly thinking there is something wrong with them, and that they need fixing up, and that they have not reached their full potential, and that they are, in fact, incapable of doing so until such time as they have done all the Scientology counselling available to them, and have completely analysed to death all of their past issues. Whenever something goes wrong in a Scientologist's life he seeks auditing, as Hubbard says that auditing is the solution to everything. “Solve it with auditing” is the basic idea.

Personally I am more inclined to think that:

“Life is not a process of discovery, but a process of creation. You are not discovering yourself, but creating yourself anew.”

This was written by Neale Donald Walsh, in his work Conversations with God. I find that this point of view allows one to be in control of one's own life. In Scientology it is assumed that if one has had a certain way of doing things, this will be one's pattern forever and for always, unless the person gets auditing. It keeps a person stuck into fixed behaviour patterns. With the concept of “creating yourself anew” the person has no such limitations or dependency upon someone's system.

During auditing I once “discovered” that in a previous lifetime, in 1965, I was a man of around 35 years of age living in the UK. Yet during another auditing session I had “discovered” that I was a 16 year old boy living in the USA, also during 1965. Was I being two people at once? Or was I simply imagining all of it in the first place?

I have heard other Scientologists tell me how in their previous lifetime they worked directly with L. Ron Hubbard on one of his ships, but if they were to actually have done the math, they would find this would have been impossible. Of course as a Scientologist one does not question such things too much, one simply thinks that one has so much more to learn about the mind, and that one will discover the true answers further up Hubbard's “Bridge to total freedom.” Yes, Hubbard stops one from thinking for oneself. Or put otherwise, one allows Hubbard to make one stop thinking for oneself.

At some point in the Scientologist's career they decide that Hubbard knew best, and that they themselves, being mere mortals, know nothing compared to the knowledge Hubbard had. And it is at that point that it's Game Over for the Scientologists, they have now become complete robots, who will not, and who cannot think for themselves.

How Scientology is run

The current management of Scientology perpetuate Hubbard’s ideas that Scientology is big and expanding and a vital movement on Earth by holding many public relations events throughout the year. These events are held live in the USA and recorded versions thereof are sent to all Scientology organizations throughout the world, so they can be shown there. Even whilst still in Scientology I noticed how false information about my organization was being portrayed in these events. This made me wonder about how much of what was being told about the other organizations throughout the world was in fact true. As it turns out, a lot of it was also untrue.

All Scientologists who own their own businesses are made to become members of the World Institute of Scientology Enterprises or “WISE.” If they refuse to become members, they are refused Scientology services. A Scientologist is not allowed to run their own business without paying an annual WISE membership, and the better their business does, the more they have to pay. Yes, Scientology is all about the money after all.

Scientologists are promised that they can get a refund, should they so choose. They are told that they must come into the organization to do the necessary paperwork if they decide to go ahead with a refund request. However, they also make you sign an indemnity form before each service you start, stating that you give up your right to refund if you sue the cult. What this basically means is that if they drag their feet in repaying you, you have no recourse and cannot sue. The latest trick off Scientology to prevent you from getting your money back is to say that you must come into the organization to get the repayment, but unfortunately you can’t come in to fill in their required paperwork as you’ve been “expelled” due to your own transgression against the “religious” policies of the “church.” Yes, Scientology is a criminal organization, and it is all about the money.

Hubbard instituted a system of “Rewards and Penalties,” whereby if one’s statistics are down one is penalised, and if one’s statistics are up one could be rewarded. The time period during which the statistics are being analysed are completely arbitrary, so a person in effect could be awarded or penalized as was seen fit. He also came up with something termed a “Liability Condition,” in which a Scientologist who is already working ridiculous hours for slave pay, must still somehow go “above and beyond” to “make amends” for taking on the “color of an enemy.”

Scientology often uses the slogan “think for yourself” to attract new customers. This is a campaign designed to harness the rebel in someone, and get them to reactively join Scientology. What actually happens to such a person is that they STOP thinking for themselves, and start to “Do what Ron would do.”

Hubbard’s ego was so big that the claimed “everyone is a Scientologist, they just don’t know it yet.” Hubbard tried to take ownership of natural laws and practices which existed since the start of the human race, and put them all under the banner of “Scientology.” No, they are NOT Scientology, they are natural laws, and all people are not Scientologists, they are people who are governed by natural laws. As an example, acknowledgements, a common human courtesy, suddenly becomes a Scientology invention in Hubbard’s mind.

I have witnessed Scientologist’s “confidential” counselling sessions being discussed amongst staff, and seen how the most intimate details about the person gets laughed about. I have heard staff joking about and being extremely critical of other Scientologists at executive meetings and event meetings where it is discussed how to best extort something from each individual Scientologist. Scientologists will say the most horrible things about you behind your back, but will quickly be friendly to you when they think they can get something out of you. And after they are done chewing you up, and they find that you are no longer of any value to them, they will spit you out, and tell other Scientologists how bad you actually are, despite how great they thought you were during the years you were there doing as they dictated. Yes, they will betray you at the drop of a hat, and discuss your “confidential” information you gave to them in trust, don't ever doubt that.

Despite all of this, a lot of Scientologists are sincerely good people, yet they are people who cannot conceive that evil can be so evil as to conceal itself as good fighting against evil, and in so doing use the person’s own good against them.

Scientology has many front groups, such as drug rehabilitation, criminal rehabilitation, and human rights groups. All of these groups are actually PR groups, with the purpose and end product of such being stated as “acceptance of Scientology.” Yes, Scientology’s very own management flow chart states that these organizations are designed merely to create acceptance of Scientology, yet somehow those working in these organization believe they were designed because Hubbard gave a damn about these things. No, it is only the people involved who are doing the work who give a damn, and they don’t realize and don’t want to accept that their good natures are merely bring exploited. These organizations, like much of Scientology, are all about PR.

Scientology staff and public are subjected to heavy pressures to get statistics up, and this often makes them do extreme and even stupid things. Combined with the fact the Hubbard constantly reiterates that the person’s “eternity is at stake if Scientology doesn’t make it,” this puts the Scientologist into a very anxious frame of mind. In psychology it has been found that the more meaningful a potential loss is, the more loss averse we become, meaning we don’t want to give up our hold on the loss, even when it’s economically, emotionally or otherwise stupid not to do so. So when Scientologists are pressurized in the extreme fashion they are, they buckle, and really do get themselves into difficulties.

Under the extreme pressures of joining staff and paying money to Scientology, relationships are ended, and friends betray and basically steal from friends. Often times if it weren’t for the interference of Scientology, such relationships would never have gone sour in the first place.

Scientologists will often mortgage their houses in order to donate money to Scientology, they will take their kids out of school so they can join staff, they will use their inheritance to buy books and lectures they will not use for ages to come, they will relocate, they will quit their jobs. I have even seen public being interrogated on the e-meter if they did not donate to Scientology. Scientology will portray itself as a fun, exciting thing to do through its advertisements and promotional items, yet nothing could be further from the truth.

Scientology states that its purpose is to create a better world, yet instead of putting their materials on the internet where it would be free and available for all, they charge EXORBITANT fees for them. They say this is to cover costs, yet they spend millions of dollars of producing expensive printing and CD manufacturing facilities, whereas putting lectures and books on the internet requires absolutely no such costs.

The general response of Scientology toward a former member now speaking out against the abuses of Scientology is to say that they are a disgruntled ex-member who was expelled by the Church. What really happens is the person gets to the point where they have had enough of the abuses in the organization, they leave, and then get vocal about it. In defence, Scientology now “expels” the person who has already left! Scientology makes use of character assassinations in an attempt to discredit the person speaking out about Scientology, and thereby discredit what they are saying.

Summary

Please don’t be fooled into thinking that the problems in Scientology arise only from the current management system—the problems are inherent flaws of Scientology. They are a by-product of the very philosophy of elitism which Hubbard created. Doing Scientology outside the confines of “Corporate Scientology” is as big a self-delusion as it would be to do it within the corporate structure—the lies of Scientology remain lies.

Scientology claims that its organizations are “Islands of sanity” whereas they are really “Islands of ignorance, and insanity.” In summary, here is how one ex-Scientologist who goes by the name of Alanzo put it:

“Scientology deserves all the ridicule and derisive satire that can be heaped upon it. But Scientology is not funny. It ruins people utterly. It takes a person’s highest hopes and ideals, and his most divine impulses, and it exploits these, and uses them against him, until all the life has been sucked out of him. And then it gives him his own gun, to insert into the roof of his own mouth, to pull the trigger.”

The complete article with pictures and all can be found here:

http://scientologyculture.wordpress.com/scientology-101

This rest of this site also has a ton of really hard to find information about Hubbard and Scientology.

Please spread far and wide!

Gadfly

Crusader

An introduction to Scientology that doesn't mention Xenu?? Otherwise, great stuff. Thanks.

Xenu is a minor facet of the whole trap and paradigm. I know some will disagree.

Those OT sections could just of well have had do with goblins and trolls.

The hook had been set for any Scientology adherent LONG before Xenu and BTs.

Though, the Xenu and BT paradigm does act to keep the money rolling in . . . for years and years.

And, it allows the "OTs" to imagine that they are privy to some "secret knowledge" that the rest are not. :duh:

Again though, the "secret knowledge" could have been about anything really, just as long as there is some sort of "secret knowledge".

Anonycat

Crusader
Awesome post

It looks great, and I'll give it another look soon. I wanted to stop to make a suggestion to you - I think it's important for the Stress Test to include in the definition, that it's a scam in itself. The two page training to run a stress test table, reveals that clearly. I thought you might like to add that. So far it looks really good!

newpersondrill1.jpg

newpersondrill2.jpg

Xenu is a minor facet of the whole trap and paradigm. I know some will disagree.

Those OT sections could just of well have had do with goblins and trolls. ...

Very true. :yes: Nonetheless, good luck trying to persuade those with no actual experience of the subject. For such individuals the relative importance of specific ideas included within the subject are often way out of whack.

Mark A. Baker

Last edited:

Mojo

Again though, the "secret knowledge" could have been about anything really, just as long as there is some sort of "secret knowledge".

Well spoken Gadfly.

And that desire for (and love of having) 'secret' spiritual knowledge, is the tell tale sign of the presence of a spiritual innocent, about to get its spiritual ass kicked (in the world of manifest form). So to speak. For the simple reason it is 'vanity' and vanity alone that drives one to want something that no other has (and Mest is where all spiritual drama takes place). Being a sort of spiritual-greed that tends to mark the spiritually young of heart and mind. Similar to a human child that wants more candy than it can possibly eat. Not being capable (yet) of even imagining the ultimate consequences of such a desire, being fulfilled.

And 'vanity' I say, not 'ego', as the two are not one in the same principle at work. The former being a sub-set of sorts of the later. Which is to say, where vanity is an elective subject, ego is a required one. (speaking in terms of wog academia, in a philosophical light or vein)

Mojo

Veda

Sponsor

Those OT sections could just of well have had do with goblins and trolls.

The hook had been set for any Scientology adherent LONG before Xenu and BTs.

Though, the Xenu and BT paradigm does act to keep the money rolling in . . . for years and years.

And, it allows the "OTs" to imagine that they are privy to some "secret knowledge" that the rest are not. :duh:

The OT level at OT 2 is about page after page of Implants.

At OT 3, it's about Body Thetans and Implants.

"Xenu" is a simple way of identifying the area of Scientology known as OT 3.

To a Scientologist, nothing is more important than his OT levels, and OT 3 is regarded as the most important level.

Why help disingenuous Scientology PR people by minimizing "Xenu," with "Xenu" being shorthand for the "No interference zone" of CC - OT 3?

It's a major, perhaps the most significant, part of the mind f__k.

Infinite

Xenu is a minor facet of the whole trap and paradigm . . .

Are you kidding? Were it not for Xenu there would be no need for Scientology. So far as the wonderful OP is concerned, however, Xenu is a key inoculation device.

... To a Scientologist, nothing is more important than his OT levels, and OT 3 is regarded as the most important level. ...

The matter of motivation would actually depend upon the individual scientologist in question. It is certainly not true of all who have become involved with the Co$.

Mark A. Baker

Mojo

Why help disingenuous Scientology PR people by minimizing "Xenu," with "Xenu" being shorthand for the "No interference zone" of CC - OT 3?

Perhaps there is a gradient principle at work here? For example, it occurs to me (as a possibility) that emphasizing Xenu to an unsuspecting potential recruit of scientology as a sort of avante guard may well be less effective than mentioning that scientology destroys families. And steals the life savings of its adherents. And basically lies cheats and steals as often as possible, as broadly as possible, while operating under the social guise of being a bonafide church/religion. Check the worldwide historical court records of it. As a gradient introduction type thing I say. Lol. In this day and age wherein millions of otherwise intellectually sane human beings do not permit the concept of a disembodied spirit impregnating a 12 year old virgin girl to give birth to the creator of all of creation, on earth, bother them, the prospect of Xenu is almost mild. (so to speak, lol).

I imagine it is fundamentally about different audiences at different times in different places in their lives. Where one shoe does not fit all. Though one, is better than none.

Mojo

Infinite

Perhaps there is a gradient principle at work here? For example, it occurs to me (as a possibility) that emphasizing Xenu to an unsuspecting potential recruit of scientology as a sort of avante guard may well be less effective than mentioning that scientology destroys families. And steals the life savings of its adherents. And basically lies cheats and steals as often as possible, as broadly as possible, while operating under the social guise of being a bonafide church/religion. Check the worldwide historical court records of it. As a gradient introduction type thing I say. Lol. In this day and age wherein millions of otherwise intellectually sane human beings do not permit the concept of a disembodied spirit impregnating a 12 year old virgin girl to give birth to the creator of all of creation, on earth, bother them, the prospect of Xenu is almost mild. (so to speak, lol).

I imagine its fundamentally about different audiences at different times in different places in their lives. Where one shoe does not fit all.

Mojo

Such is the scope of Scientology's damage to society that it can be hard to grasp without some dedicated reading on the subject. The truth, in this case, is actually stranger than fiction and a person can themselves appear a bit of loon when talking about how looney Scientology really is. If someone is genuinely interested in actually getting some auditing, letting them know that Scientology = Xenu is, more often than not, all the information they need to form the correct decision to avoid and get on with finding something less dangerous. Quick, simple, and workable. I know, I hand out that data regularly. Some want to know more, in which case Google is their friend.

Gadfly

Crusader
The OT level at OT 2 is about page after page of Implants.

At OT 3, it's about Body Thetans and Implants.

"Xenu" is a simple way of identifying the area of Scientology known as OT 3.

To a Scientologist, nothing is more important than his OT levels, and OT 3 is regarded as the most important level.

Are you kidding? Were it not for Xenu there would be no need for Scientology. So far as the wonderful OP is concerned, however, Xenu is a key inoculation device.

No I am not kidding.

When I first got involved in Scientology, right up until I opened the OT III pack quite a few years later, I NEVER heard the words "Xenu", "BT", or Incident One and Two. What I did hear were VAGUE descriptions, lots of exaggerated hype, and endless push to "do the OT levels". We were played RJ 67 over and over, where Hubbard talked about "cracking the Wall of Fire". He NEVER gave any specifics, and kept it general - a catastrophe 75 million years ago, the cause of the 4th Dynamic Engram that still greatly affects us today, the Non-Interference Zone where you are urged to believe that it is truly DANGEROUS for you to NOT get through OT III, and on and on and on.

It is true Veda, when you say, "To a Scientologist, nothing is more important than his OT levels, and OT 3 is regarded as the most important level." But it is a VAGUE and GENERAL desire that is constantly pushed and fueled. Back in the 1970s and early 1980s, I would read the Advance Mags (which again had NO specifics, but constantly fanned the flame of desire for getting up to and through the OT Levels). The CONTENT of these Levels was ALWAYS hidden and kept secret. As I said earlier, for all practical purposes, OT III could have been about running out implants of goblins and trolls. It didn't and doesn't matter at all.

So MUCH of the desire to "go OT" involves other hype and hard sell. All Sea Org staff and especially regges are DRILLED constantly on the Hard Sell references where Hubbard describes the Advanced Courses as the MOST VALUABLE SERVICES IN THE UNIVERSE. He goes on to drive home that ANY other consideration is meaningless., such as money, bank accounts, insurance, stocks, bonds, houses, college funds, etc. Again, there are no details of any sort given. It is a vague but very hyped HOPE.

Hubbard warned about "mystery sandwiches", he described the mechanics of them well and then he USED the same "tech" to lure his followers. The OT Levels are the BIG SECRET - the big MYSTERY. And this mystery grabs onto the imagination of many people - with NO detailed content at all. Then, once anyone does the OT Levels (any of them), you are SWORN to secrecy and are forbidden from even discussing it with others who have done the levels. It is kept secret even AFTER you have done them.

Hubbard surrounded the subject of OT with all this crap about 1) how evil SPs could use the data to further entrap the human race, 2) the severe requirement for confidentiality, 3) that you would get sick and die if you contacted this severely occluded material before you were "ready", and more. The OT Levels function as a lure and as BAIT, with no need for the details of Xenu at all. The DESIRE for the OT Levels has NOTHING to do with the CONTENT of the OT Levels. How could it be? It is kept entirely HUSH within Scientology confines.

I maintain that if Scientologists were NOT turned into True Believers with KSW fodder and related 4th Dynamic hype, that the "mind fuck" would be much much less. People believe all sorts of stupid crap, from sons of God who walked on water, to saviors who rose people from the dead, to aliens being our genetic parents, to astral planes, to disembodied Bodhisattvas, to advanced beings who work through the Great White Brotherhood to help Mankind along, to angels, to demons, to . . . . (pick any absurd belief known to Man). Xenu and BTs are just another lock on the chain of Mankind's very strong tendency to accept and believe any sort of absurd nonsense. But even so, it only acts as a MINOR aspect of the big lure and trap that Hubbard setup. The details of OT III are far less important than the many OTHER factors I mentioend above.

I agree, promoting the idiocy of the details of the OT III materials can help warn people away from the general dangers of Scientology. That is true. I say go for it. But, in a purely technical sense, it just isn't that integral to the whole scam.

That is my opinion. You are entitled to yours.

Oh, I would add that if the content of OT III were something entirely different, let's say that you are told that advanced aliens will connect with you once you get to OT IX, and that you need to run out THEIR past incidents in session (New Improved OT III-VII), well, it would work exactly the same. You could run these aliens, who currently exist in a parallel dimension, but with who you can communicate telepathically once you do the intention and focus drilling, you could run them on on ARC Xs, PTPs, overts, and the whole Scientology bridge, one by one, for many thousands of them. I could easily make up a scenario that would keep Scios auditing for YEARS. The followers would still want to get to these levels. The other sheep would stand around and tell wins and gains at graduations, at events, and when they tag with regges. The PR and promotion would be unrelenting (just as it is now). Once you got to the OT Level, you would feel privileged that now YOU had this amazing "secret knowledge". You would never talk about it with anyone, but you would KNOW that you had to get everyone else up through these amazing levels. No Xenu at all, and it would function exactly the same.

The content of OT III, including Xenu is functionally meaningless. It could be ANYTHING else as long as it was treated the same way - as vital, as key to your survival, as confidential, as dangerous, as a GREAT SECRET.

Scientology has a great many tricks in its little bag of tricks to MOTIVATE you. "Xenu" is not one of them, or at least is basically meaningless until a person gets to OT III, and then to some small degree, some followers may imagine within that context how they are saving the universe from the long ago implant affects of this horrible galactic ruler.

I would have to add this though. Even though it really is not that important to those in the cult, telling people about it can be one of he EASIEST ways to encourage people AWAY from the Church of Scientology. Have them watch the South Park episode on OT III, and let the person know that what they are seeing comes DIRECTLY from the OT III secret information that "advanced Scientology students" are taught. You are telling the TOTAL TRUTH, and it can work fast and quick to dissuade someone away from the Church of Scientology. "Yeah, they study that their bodies and minds are infested with the leftover remains of long ago dead space aliens, called body thetans, and that this galactic overload named Xenu ordered them all blown up in atomic explosions on the volcanoes of Earth. And by the way, they teach that this happened on Earth 75 million years ago . . . " No lies needed at all. Just tell it like it is . . . and many will never think about Scientology again.

Oh well, back to the movie that I was watching . . . . . :biggrin:

Last edited:

Veda

Sponsor
The matter of motivation would actually depend upon the individual scientologist in question. It is certainly not true of all who have become involved with the Co$.

Mark A. Baker

My description applies to anyone who did CC - OT 3, or just OT 2 and OT 3.

... If someone is genuinely interested in actually getting some auditing, letting them know that Scientology = Xenu is, more often than not, all the information they need to form the correct decision to avoid and get on with finding something less dangerous. Quick, simple, and workable. I know, I hand out that data regularly. Some want to know more, in which case Google is their friend.

And all together a contention which is factually incorrect. Thus putting yourself in the category of those only too willing to lie blatantly in order to "save" others, from your own perspective that is.

:questions: Hmmm? Where else have I seen that trait? :questions:

Mark A. Baker :biggrin:

Last edited:

Anonycat

Crusader
And all together a contention which is factually incorrect. Thus putting yourself in the category of those only too willing to lie blatantly in order to "save" others, from his your own perspective.

:questions: Hmmm? Where else have I seen that trait? :questions:

Mark A. Baker :biggrin:

You, sir, are the Lord of Innuendo.