Scientology; A church of dichotomies

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
Something that occurred to me as I got out of scientology was it regularly delivered the opposite of what was implied or promised....I got into scientology to help others. I was then taught to help the 'able' to be more able...that is those able to pay.
Does any one else feel that scientology is a study in dichotomies?

Absolutely! I had this almost exact discussion with a friend 2 years ago when I was considering bailing out for good.

"The Dichotomies" was the exact term I came up with at the time, because it describes so well what Scientology had become - promises one thing but delivers the opposite. I saw this phenomenon so well played out with the OT VII's & VIII's who had turned into slaves of the church, what with their 6 month "refreshers" and insane schedules, no freedoms, required trips to the reg for enforced "donations". And the sword hanging over their heads if they step out of line. All while having to keep up the pretense that everything's just great! It's a wonder more of them didn't explode!

It was so clear to me what the actual purpose had become: Promise freedom, deliver total slavery and squeeze out every last penny in the process. As someone else has already stated quite succinctly: "Scientology - clearing the planet one bank account at a time." (This one should be seen at every Anonymous protest.)

I also noticed, back when Tom Cruise started dating Katie (a Catholic), that Scn had started looking like the Catholic church - an organization that was supposed to be all about salvation but had become just a huge controlling Borg with pretty buildings and nasty deeds done outside the public view. It seemed so symbolic to me, a marriage of representatives of two despicable religions, desperate to put on a pretty face for the public, hiding what's really going on.

The facade is crumbling.

Neo

Silver Meritorious Patron
I've lost count of the number of times I've heard SO recruiters use the old "whatever he/she is doing or planning on doing in life, invalidate it as insignificant compared to carrying out his/her Duty as an SO member...
never allow a prospect to get stuck with an 'art goal'... etc etc"
LRH maybe didn't write it but he sure tacitly agreed to its use.

Class V recruiters do this too. It's drilled into them as part of "hard sell". Handle their considerations. In my experience, this usually involved invalidation. Its an indication that the recruiters are just being robots and are unable to think with new data when it presents itself. That and the fact that they have to get a product. It's not actually about helping the person, it is all about getting a product. Sometimes the two combine. But rarely. Usually recruiting a person was not in that persons best interests. But thinking like this is a one way ticket to ethics for the recruiters.

So, often their frustrations come out as invalidation of the prospects, especially when they feel that they are losing their prospects.

I saw it happen many times. And the number of potential Scientologists that were lost to Scientology because of the recruiters hard sell on newly arrived public is quite large. At the time I was confused as to why this was allowed to occur. Now I am glad it does. Scientology - it's own worse enemy.

Neo

Stan D'Teque

Patron with Honors
Dichotomy indeed

For what it's worth, Mm D'Teque pointed out yesterday that those "in" don't actually look at an opposing viewpoint when they talk, they give it a frosty reception at best. There is no ability to see opposites. So both sides of the dichotomy are the same to a recruiter, reg. or any other member of the Co$. It has an insane logic of its own that I shamefacedly own up to also having until a short time ago.:duh: Mm D'Teque, being much smarter than I, had not lost her ability to see black and white despite her years "in" - something we are both thankful for. She got into a lot of trouble. But she sure had a lot of friends.:D

sp declared

Patron with Honors
I think that what has occurred to scientology is the same that occurs to the psychiatrists that work a lot with the insane, after a while they end up being very similar to the ones they try to heal...

Maybe what I am saying is stupid, but look at it from this viewpoint: scientology has become EXACTLY what in 1950 LRH said he wanted to fight:

- status quo
- authorities (they are the only one who, apparently, know what is right...)
- heavy ethics and discipline
- low tone level (the majority of the execs work in the 2.0/ 1.5 band)
- They cause secondaries and locks every day on their parishionners and staff)
- illogic galore

It's funny, over 50 years scientology has done a full circle. It seems they now ended up in the opposite goal of the GPM..

Sp Declared

Feral

Rogue male
The quality of comment on this thread is fantastic. Just the thing to promote free thinking in any one sitting on the fence and lurking.:yes:

Great stuff!:thumbsup:

Stan D'Teque

Patron with Honors
Feral's School of Philosophy

Well give yourself a pat on the back too - you were the one who started it with your observations. Sure got me and Mm D'Teque thinking it over and looking at the difference between the slaves and the free. good one, Feral:thumbsup:

Jakadak

Patron with Honors
I saw it happen many times. And the number of potential Scientologists that were lost to Scientology because of the recruiters hard sell on newly arrived public is quite large. At the time I was confused as to why this was allowed to occur. Now I am glad it does. Scientology - it's own worse enemy.

Neo

This was the main reason I stopped "donating" any money. As a relatively new public I was so fed up with the antics of the recruiters whether it was for services, to raise money for the Ideal Org or the Basics etc. It was a real turn off for me. :no:

Div6

Crusader
I have been taking a long look at the original Clearing Course materials.
The "CC" implant (of course!) consisted of 5 sections, with lights marking off different parts of it. In the original instructions, one was to run the implant platens using repeater technique (digging a ditch) 10 times through.

I do not know of anyone who actually did that. But according to Alan, at one point he said people were taking up to a year to complete the Clearing Course, so perhaps some have.

The first part of the implant installs "dichotomies" in the Be-Do-Have zones.
Then there is a brief section of end words followed by a confusion GPM and then 2 runs through wordless mockups of geometric figures coming in and going away.

It occurred to me that if Scn was dramatizing anything, it was this: control through unspoken hidden dichotomies. "There is no hidden data line!" (There actually IS a hidden data line....all of the 'R' advices.)

"What your donations buy!" (No one outside of DM really KNOWS what your 'donations' buy.)

"Standard Tech will take you into states of Beingness where nothing can strike you down!" ('OT's' dropping like flies after GAT and OT VIII.)

So "Total Freedom" includes freedom from these installed control mechanisms, which includes "the C of S".

I can have it.....:D

Been Done Had

Patron with Honors
I have been taking a long look at the original Clearing Course materials.
The "CC" implant (of course!) consisted of 5 sections, with lights marking off different parts of it. In the original instructions, one was to run the implant platens using repeater technique (digging a ditch) 10 times through.

I do not know of anyone who actually did that. But according to Alan, at one point he said people were taking up to a year to complete the Clearing Course, so perhaps some have.

The first part of the implant installs "dichotomies" in the Be-Do-Have zones.
Then there is a brief section of end words followed by a confusion GPM and then 2 runs through wordless mockups of geometric figures coming in and going away.

It occurred to me that if Scn was dramatizing anything, it was this: control through unspoken hidden dichotomies. "There is no hidden data line!" (There actually IS a hidden data line....all of the 'R' advices.)

"What your donations buy!" (No one outside of DM really KNOWS what your 'donations' buy.)

"Standard Tech will take you into states of Beingness where nothing can strike you down!" ('OT's' dropping like flies after GAT and OT VIII.)

So "Total Freedom" includes freedom from these installed control mechanisms, which includes "the C of S".

I can have it.....:D

I find the whole area of GPMs, dichotomies and implant GPMs endlessly fascinating. Buddhism mentions the escape from the "tyranny of opposites" as does some of Joseph Cambell's work (Hero with a Thousand Faces) which describes the hero's journey in mythic tales as a metaphor for spiritual growth. He mentions the hero rising above the land of opposites so he can be reunited with the maiden (his soul.)

I have heard an artist defined as one who can hold two opposing ideas in their mind simultaneously.

Scn is so not the middle path. The promo tells you everything you need to know. It's all puffery and hyperbole. And it's all the language of absolutes. Extreme tone 40. It's the language of wartime propaganda.

And the language didn't reflect the reality. The most ethical, gung-ho, able group on the planet? I saw harried, exhausted staff running to muster with greasy hair, worn uniforms and body odor. I'm not taking a swipe, there are some awesome people in the SO.

The recruiters pitch that you'll get the bridge in the SO (anyone else think, "Gee, I can always join up if I can't afford the OT levels as a public.)

The reality is different, you get SS 1 and 2, ISE, post hatting and thank you very much.

Per the promo, even the lowliest scientologist should tower over any wog homo sap in capability. So how come everyone was cleaning chimneys and relining bathtubs instead of running the world?

And if a scn is one who can confront, how come entheta (internet, mags, newspapers) are to be avoided at all costs?:confused2:

Idle Morgue

Gold Meritorious Patron
OMG Feral: This is it!

The tech is a cluster mind fuck because you can always find "tech" that justify the mistakes with more "tech". It is really twisted and it takes years to realize this. For example: A "cleared" cannibal is a "cleared" cannibal. So, WTF does this mean?

If the Bridge works and clears people of insanity - cannibalism is not a "reality" in our society. So if the Bridge restores sanity - a cannibal would see that this is "out reality" and insane behavior and stop acting insane. Criminal behavior to EAT others...insane too but a "cleared cannibal" is a "cleared cannibal". No, no MU there - that is the tech! WRONG!

Hubbard was a clever little ES PEE - very clever indeed!

The tech is LOADED with these mind fucks! Of course, you have to know it ALL to know it is a mind fuck! That takes years and Scientology will spin you and you will make many mistakes (the way out is the way through) and ruin your life to a certain extent - land mines will be going off and you think this is "es pees" and friends and family who don't want you to get better.

A person does a little Scientology and it helps. As they get more and more involved - it gets totally confused and does not even realize it and because everyone in the Organization "acts" like this is normal (extortion, bankruptcy, death and suicides) and really "not ises" all of the gross and disguting damage this cults does to others and that it is NEVER Scientology's fault - it is always someone elses fault.

The damage the Cult does to the CULT is catching up with them and there is no fixing it - it is too far gone! We won't even talk about how ridiculous the pricing is for everything - just insane!! OUT EXCHANGE for sure! But old Hubbturd said "if you make something real mysterious and very very expensive - that is what gives it value - our perception due to those two factors!

Some dichotomies:

Scientology verses CHURCH
Bridge to Total Freedom verses NO FREEDOM, nothing FREE, nothing that lasts

Help verses Psychosis and created insanity
HELP verses suicide
HELP verses death from cancer
HELP verses bankruptcy
HELP verses shattered families
HELP verses dirvoce
HELP verses deception
HELP verses EXTORTION
HELP verses BRIBERY
HELP verses NO HELP REALLY - just a lot of promises, spinning and it is all your fault if it does not work.

Scamonlogy is a CULT and they do not help anyone including themselves.

Last edited: