What's new

Scientology: A faith for sale, BBC program, 1967

Sharone Stainforth

Silver Meritorious Patron
I have never seen this before, didn't even know of it's existence, it's churned up a few memories.Interesting to note, nothing much has changed in all these years.

At 14.38 in A Faith for Sale, there's my 2nd step Mother - a Scientologist for life.

How very sad.

SpecialFrog

I've never actually seen a video of a clay demo before. I noticed they all look mostly the same. Is that typical? Are they really that stylized?

I'd always pictures something more abstract than just some vague depiction of a person with lines.

"I never understood this concept before. But now that I've made these lines it makes way more sense."

Idle Morgue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Wait a minute...did not HubbTURD make fun of religions and "faith"? :eyeroll:

NO, Scientology is selling "spiritual freedom" at the cost of $500,000-$10,000,000 if you are manipulated with the LIES enough to buy the "bill of goods"!

Problem is...there is nothing that is FREE in Scientology including Spiritual anything! :yes:

Remember, Blubbard talked about the Catholic's charging to have your sins forgiven and he spoke so disgustingly about the Catholics doing that? Well, let's take a peek at the Church of Scientology....you pay and you pay and you pay..then they will ask you to commit sins of MAGNITUDE...if you are on staff...and you will suffer and pay and suffer and pay until you GET OUT!:nervous::ohmy::unsure::whistling:

Veda

Sponsor
I have never seen this before, didn't even know of it's existence, it's churned up a few memories. Interesting to note, nothing much has changed in all these years.

At 14.38 in A Faith for Sale, there's my 2nd step Mother - a Scientologist for life.

How very sad.

I had only seen a few snippets, and never the full 1967 program. It's an important piece of the video historical record, worth watching in its entirety.

As brainwashed as they were, some of the young Scientology women were delightful and sweet, with a wide-eyed kind of empty sweetness.

Reminds me a little of this video made in honor of abusive cult leader, Dave Berg, founder of "The Children of God': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=585DbY4gy1s&feature=player_embedded

By the mid 1960s, Hubbard had fulfilled his 'Affirmations' of the late 1940s:

"Your writing has a deep hypnotic effect on people and they are always pleased with what you write...

"Your psychology is true and wonderful. It hypnotizes people. It predicts their emotions, for you are their ruler."

By the mid 1960s it was time to implement - fully - his (anonymously authored) 1955 'Brainwashing Manual', the blueprint for the Scientology operation.

It had been temporarily used in 1955 as a black propaganda vehicle aimed at destroying his enemies by identifying them with communism.

It would be 1974, with the RPF and RPF's RPF, before the entire 'manual' had been implemented.

Talk about hiding things in plain sight!

bw-manual-front.jpg

'Brainwashing Manual Parallels', 2001: http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?2697-Table-of-Contents-Psychopolitics-revisited

Wow! I haven't seen this in YEARS, and I wonder if I did see the entire production or not, myself. Thank you Veda, it's very instructive. or perhaps I should say, telling...just look at their eyes and read their faces.

Was that Auditor who had the extreme and unflattering close-up THE Reg? Ron's right hand man Reg that I heard so much about in listening to those dratted rambling "lectures"? The one that Ron laughingly blamed whevever things went wrong?

I take it this is back before Scientology became a "religion"...the guy saying he did not care how much money Ron made off of his work, that he had earned it.

I wonder if there is anyone else in that film who the collective "we" here recognizes? I thought I saw Candy or someone very like her blowing bubbles on the lawn with a friend...

Back when Scientology still could be "fun".

chuckbeatty

Patron with Honors
The below BBC program about Scientology - made available in full by XenuTV - was made in 1967:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhsRe-szfSk&feature=uploademailC1lI

The program, 'The Shrinking World of L. Ron Hubbard', followed in 1968:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_w-YWwC1lI

Veda,

who's the fattish man speaking from the balcony, in the one scene?

Reg Sharpe speaks a few times, which is good.

These two TV films are the best of that time.

The first one shows a pretty overwhelming lack of religious trappings, and only in one scene is there a short clip of the sign advertising Sunday chapel service.

I wish we could get all the older timers still alive to point out who is who, all the way through this film.

Very important film, this first one, historically!

Veda

Sponsor
Veda,

who's the fattish man speaking from the balcony, in the one scene?

Reg Sharpe speaks a few times, which is good.

These two TV films are the best of that time.

The first one shows a pretty overwhelming lack of religious trappings, and only in one scene is there a short clip of the sign advertising Sunday chapel service.

I wish we could get all the older timers still alive to point out who is who, all the way through this film.

Very important film, this first one, historically!

Sorry, I don't know who that fellow is.

Yes, these videos are important, and rare. Written material and old photos are important for those interested in the historical record,
300px-Hubbard_divorce_headlines.png

but, without video, it would have been difficult to convey the strangeness of it all.

From another thread:

-snip-

Some background, as a reminder of what we're dealing with:

"I turned the thing up [The Dynamic principle of Existence: Survive!] so it's up to me to survive in a big way.

"Personal immortality is only to be gained through the printed word, barred note or painted canvas or hard granite.

"Foolishly perhaps, but determined nonetheless, I have high hopes of smashing my name into history so violently that it will take a legendary form even if all the books are destroyed.

"That goal is the real goal as far as I am concerned.

"Things which stand too consistently in my way make me nervous. It's a pretty big job. In a hundred years Roosevelt will have been forgotten - which gives some idea of the magnitude of my attempt...

"I can make Napoleon look like a punk..."

L. Ron Hubbard, from his 'Excalibur letter' of August 1938

Below is from the 1970s, in the aftermath of the FBI raids which revealed so much and which sent Hubbard's wife to prison and him into hiding...

The Scientology mindset: "We will survive." See 7:54 of the below video, as a reminder of these walking breathing examples of Hubbard's insane amoral and immoral 1938 'Excalibur' "Scientology Philosophy." (Note: This video consists of two separate '60 minutes' programs, the earlier longer segment - from 1980 - has to do with the 1970s, the latter shorter segment has to do with the 1990s.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF99yYCE8wI

"We're here for all the centuries to come. After '60 Minutes' disappears and the electrons are erased off the tapes, we'll still be here."

Scientology "Church" President Heber Jentzsch speaking to Mike Wallace, on yet another '60 Minutes' program, from 1985

See 3:16 - 3:42 of this fuzzy video. (The electrons are already erasing! :ohmy:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5Drk3eVQSg&feature=related

The above are a sampling of Scientology's belief that Scientology will ultimately triumph by simply outliving its critics, who, as Hubbard put it, will have become mere "bone dust." In fact, Hubbard wasn't bashful about gloating over the deaths of his perceived enemies, from John F. Kennedy who ignored his letters offering Scientological "help," to Dr. Joseph Winter, the fellow who wrote the Introduction for the 1950 'Dianetics' book, and then broke with Hubbard.

Scientology was even going to outlive the United States:

"We'll still be alive when the cold wind moans through the girders of the gutted buildings. And we'll still be alive when the only movement on Pennsylvania Avenue will be the frightened scurry of a piece of paper in the dusty street. The sad part of it is, they [the United States government, if they had cooperated by being "handled."] could have been alive too."

From an untitled Information Letter of 8 January "A.D. 13" (1963)

I'm not interested in being "handled" by Scientology.

The written and video record exposing Scientology,- and the various discussions and analyses of Scientology - will survive also, and to truly help others (not, as with Scientology, to forward a bizarre people-using and abusing "philosophy") if enough people care, do what they can and, ultimately, pass it along to others who also care.

Then the truth about Scientology can continue to be gotten out. And that's the key strategy. :)

Below is the 4th in a series of five videos of a late 1990s ABC News '20/20' program:

"It's beyond blood boiling. We're talking about worldwide survival."

John Travolta, talking about the survival of Scientology.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqpvk_edsb4&feature=relmfu

pineapple

I just saw "Faith for Sale" for the first time a couple days ago. I think I can identify several people.

The Antony A. Philips getting his Clear cert near the beginning is I think the same Antony Philips who sometimes posts here (Pilot's Posts) under his own name, with a more current picture, sans beard.

Lee Ecker, the woman with the round glasses seen near the beginning, announced as Clear 386, lived in Hawaii in my day and was reputed to be a squirrel, probably the first person to whom I ever heard the word applied. She was once connected with the NY Org and has been mentioned in some posts on this board by Alan Walter. By the time I got into Scn (1975) she was ARCX'en with the church. I never met her, but saw some of her "squirrel" auditing in a pc folder at the Hawaii Org. Her pc had since come on Org lines. Her admin was non-standard -- no exams or C/S'es, maybe no ARF's either, just worksheets? -- but the auditing looked fine, actually.

Here we get into my "how I got into Scn" story.

I think the woman on the right at 0:26 or 0:27 hugging another woman is Liza Hedin, née Thomas. She can also be seen sitting on the aisle in the second row on the right while A. Philips and Janet Lundy get their certs. She can even be seen sucking in her cheeks, which Liza was in the habit of doing.

Liza did my OCA eval when I was body-routed into the Honolulu Mission. I was not impressed with the eval, would not sign up for the Comm Course or even buy a copy of DMSMH. I remember Liza demo-ing with small objects on her desk as she talked and I didn't understand what she was doing, thought it was just a strange nervous habit. As I was walking out of the mission she said, "If you're not doing anything tonight, why don't you come back for our free intro lecture?"

As it turned out I wasn't doing anything that night -- I'd been in Honolulu maybe a week -- and went back for the free lecture. The lecture was delivered by John Raffanello, who has sometimes posted here as The Magic Thetan. I believe that's him in "Faith for Sale" with headphones on, at 13:15 or so. John was not on staff, but gave an intro lecture on Friday night; in exchange, the mission gave him a copy of the Scn book of his choice.

I thought the lecture was great, and my interest went from almost nothing to very strong. I didn't just jump in with both feet though; I bought DMSMH that night and read it over the next few weeks. I kept coming back for John's lectures. I also went to the library to see what I could find out there.

At the time, Scn was not so well known and did not have the terrible public image it has today. The word "Scientology" was only vaguely familiar to me. I think I may have known that it was "that religion started by an ex-science-fiction writer." But the word didn't immediately set off alarms and sirens like it would now.

The two books the library had on the subject were "The Now Religion" by George Malko and "The Scandal of Scientology" by Paulette Cooper. It's years since I've read either. Malko's book didn't strike me as horribly damning; Paulette Cooper's seemed so wildly sensational that I doubted it could really be true! :duh: I actually went back to the mission and sat down and discussed these books with Liza, who gave the impression that she had read them. Maybe she hadn't and was just kind of "um-hum"-ing me along with half-acks.

Once I'd finished DMSMH, heard a few of John's lectures, and talked out my considerations on the two anti-Scn books, I signed up for the Comm Course. By the time I finished it a couple weeks later, I happily considered myself a Scientologist.

I never knew John Raffanello personally. I don't think we ever had a conversation that went much beyond "How's it going?" Some time after Bent Corydon took over the Honolulu Mission -- I was on staff by then -- John came around for a behind-closed-doors pow-wow with Bent. After that John never came around anymore. I didn't consider it my place to ask what had happened; I was intimidated by Clears and OT's in those days.

Liza joined SO around the time I left Scn in 1981. I recently found a letter I'd forgotten about from her, from the Flag Land Base, talking about how tough, but great, SO was. Liza was probably about 60 at the time.

Liza was one of the best people I ever knew in Scn. She never let being a Scientologist keep her from being a kind and compassionate human being.

pineapple

I just saw Bent today, and gave him a big hug...he looks great! :thumbsup:
Cool! Another person I met in Scn whom I greatly respect. "Messiah or Madman" was the first anti-Scn book I read after I got out.

I went to Riverside Mission twice while I was on staff. I was mostly in Hono. The times I spent in Riverside were probably the most fun I had in Scn.

petal

Patron Meritorious
Hello all:
I would like to download these videos, but I don't know how?
Do I have to sign up to youtube or something like that?
I would like the " granada clip" at the beginning of this thread.

I am familar with cut/copy and paste for text and pictures but I don't know how to get these vids.
petal:)

Sharone Stainforth

I have never seen this before, didn't even know of it's existence, it's churned up a few memories.Interesting to note, nothing much has changed in all these years.

How very sad.

H ello, my name is Lin Field, and here is a little bit about myself:

I am 54, a grandmother to three lively and affectionate children. I have been married for over 25 years, and living in East Grinstead for 30 years.

My daughter and son-in-law live here too. My husband runs a very big accountancy practice in the High Street.

I am also a student at the academy at Saint Hill - L. Ron Hubbard's original English home which is now the famous and central area for Dianetics and Scientology in the UK. Guests from abroad also use my home when they come here to study.

My family and friends are important to me, so is my fellowship with others in the church. I like to make a safe environment for them.

Successes

One of the many successes of mine in Scientology is achieving a deeper understanding of others, a greater tolerance and an inner harmony that smooths over the problems of life when the going gets rough.

This particularly pertains to the handling of children and to this end I use The Way to Happiness by L. Ron Hubbard to help the children I encounter (particularly the grand children), and myself.

The training I have had as a Scientology "auditor" has stood me in good stead to this end and will always be there.

I have total certainty of it!

Favorite Quote

Love and help children. The way to happiness has on its route the loving and the helping of children from babyhood to the brink of adult life.

L. Ron Hubbard

This is from scientologys website Meet a Scientologist
_______________________________________________________________________________________This is my second stepMother, and her daughter is in the Seas Org and so are ALL three grandchildren.

What utter bullshit!

According to my stepsister a couple of years ago this woman is a vegetable after several strokes due to smoking too much.

Can you imagine my feelings about this?

These people are fucking nuts and I will not apologise for saying so.

Sharone Stainforth

H ello, my name is Lin Field, and here is a little bit about myself:

I am 54, a grandmother to three lively and affectionate children. I have been married for over 25 years, and living in East Grinstead for 30 years.

My daughter and son-in-law live here too. My husband runs a very big accountancy practice in the High Street.

I am also a student at the academy at Saint Hill - L. Ron Hubbard's original English home which is now the famous and central area for Dianetics and Scientology in the UK. Guests from abroad also use my home when they come here to study.

My family and friends are important to me, so is my fellowship with others in the church. I like to make a safe environment for them.

Successes

One of the many successes of mine in Scientology is achieving a deeper understanding of others, a greater tolerance and an inner harmony that smooths over the problems of life when the going gets rough.

This particularly pertains to the handling of children and to this end I use The Way to Happiness by L. Ron Hubbard to help the children I encounter (particularly the grand children), and myself.

The training I have had as a Scientology "auditor" has stood me in good stead to this end and will always be there.

I have total certainty of it!

Favorite Quote

Love and help children. The way to happiness has on its route the loving and the helping of children from babyhood to the brink of adult life.

L. Ron Hubbard

This is from scientologys website Meet a Scientologist
_______________________________________________________________________________________This is my second stepMother, and her daughter is in the Seas Org and so are ALL three grandchildren.

What utter bullshit!

According to my stepsister a couple of years ago this woman is a vegetable after several strokes due to smoking too much.

Can you imagine my feelings about this?

These people are fucking nuts and I will not apologise for saying so.

I haven't finished actually, I am so distraught right now you wouldn't believe it.Strung out on Scientology BULLSHIT!

I will never EVER forget the time I went to visit this stepMother, when she and Derek Field pretended to be ALL so caring, subjected me to scientology BULLSHIT for hours with their scientology friends and then made me put two chairs together to spend the night at their scientology gulag of fake TWH / The Way to Happiness.I was a degraded being, I had blighted L. Ron Hubbard's way to happiness by having sex outside of marriage and heaven forbid, not only was I under age, but I had been found out.Apparently I should have done this in the kitchen, then no body would have ever known about this, EVER!The fact that I really DID NOT know what I was doing was totally beside the POINT.I apparently had lived many life times, therefore I knew, NO I FUCKING DID NOT!

I was a little kid, god damn it and i didn't fucking know anything, except I knew what L. Ron Hubbard was doing was WRONG.

You do NOT lock adults up when they have done nothing wrong, and you certainly don't lock kids up when they have done NOTHING wrong, You do NOT put them in a chain locker and YOU do NOT stick them in the HOLD of the ship, YOU do NOT deny food, deny warmth, deny parental access. L. Ron Hubbard did all of this and got away with this, but for some reason, which I personally will NEVER, EVER fathom was allowed to get away with this.But it's all alright, because it's for the greastest good, isn't it?

L. Ron Hubbard - Humaniterian

I suspect that Hubbard thought that since vegatarians ate vegatables, that if he was going to be a humanitarian he had to eat humans.

The truth is I couldn't care less about any of the particulars about the Tech, but the inhumane treatment of people and children by the Sea Org and Org staff and even Scientology public is to me the most devious thing about it.

This trumps anybody's wins.

Screw anybody's wins if they come at such a cost.

The Anabaptist Jacques

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller
Hello all:
I would like to download these videos, but I don't know how?
Do I have to sign up to youtube or something like that?
I would like the " granada clip" at the beginning of this thread.

I am familar with cut/copy and paste for text and pictures but I don't know how to get these vids.
petal:)

Simple, n00b/technophobe friendly suggestion: click on the Youtube portion of the vids - bottom right - which will take you over to the Youtube site where you can watch them. At that site you will see under the vid an option to download. Click "download", select the quality you want (except you can't select to highest quality without signing up and paying for that privilege, I use MP3 128 instead) and - hey presto - it will start downloading.

petal

Patron Meritorious
Simple, n00b/technophobe friendly suggestion: click on the Youtube portion of the vids - bottom right - which will take you over to the Youtube site where you can watch them. At that site you will see under the vid an option to download. Click "download", select the quality you want (except you can't select to highest quality without signing up and paying for that privilege, I use MP3 128 instead) and - hey presto - it will start downloading.

Hi, Thanks for your reply but I could not find the download button after I went to youtube?
:confused2: Maybe that option is not available.
petal