What's new

Scientology Advertising Campaign - USA Today Issues of 1991

WhatWall

Silver Meritorious Patron
I saved all of Scientology's full-page ads and advertising supplements from 1991, spanning May - August issues of USA Today. These ads were Scientology's response to the Time magazine's article titled "Scientology - The Thriving Cult of Greed and Power" by Richard Behar. Seems like I should scan/photograph the ads as color images and post them somewhere.

Have color images of these ads already been posted on the Internet? (I couldn't find them, other than the low-res black & white images posted as PDFs on xenu-directory.net.)

Any suggestions, ideas or concerns about posting high-res color images of this material?

Any suggestions as to where these images should be submitted for posting (i.e., which Scientology expose or documentary web site)?

The ads can be categorized as:
  • Attacks on Eli Lilly
  • Attacks on Time magazine
  • LRH Philosophy
  • Scientology Tech
  • LRH The Man
  • I Am a Scientologist (mini-testimonials)
I've got 47 full-page, full-color ads (at least one is 2 pages) and 2 advertising supplements.

The supplements consist of a 28-page magazine ("The Story That TIME Couldn't Tell") and a 48-page magazine ("L. Ron Hubbard - The Man and His Works").

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Any suggestions, ideas or concerns about posting high-res color images of this material?

Any suggestions as to where these images should be submitted for posting (i.e., which Scientology expose or documentary web site)?

I remember those! Didn't realise there were 47 though.

While waiting for some site owner to say yes please (Arnie?), you can always upload them to Scribd. Do one a day and I believe that would give you 47 days of free download privileges. :)

Paul

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller
I saved all of Scientology's full-page ads and advertising supplements from 1991, spanning May - August issues of USA Today. These ads were Scientology's response to the Time magazine's article titled "Scientology - The Thriving Cult of Greed and Power" by Richard Behar. Seems like I should scan/photograph the ads as color images and post them somewhere.

Have color images of these ads already been posted on the Internet? (I couldn't find them, other than the low-res black & white images posted as PDFs on xenu-directory.net.)

The ads can be categorized as:
  • Attacks on Eli Lilly
  • Attacks on Time magazine
  • LRH Philosophy
  • Scientology Tech
  • LRH The Man
  • I Am a Scientologist (mini-testimonials)
I've got 47 full-page, full-color ads (at least one is 2 pages) and 2 advertising supplements.

The supplements consist of a 28-page magazine ("The Story That TIME Couldn't Tell") and a 48-page magazine ("L. Ron Hubbard - The Man and His Works").

Ooooh . . . YES, PLEASE!!!111!!!

If it were me doing the scanning and posting, I would probably look at a single file (PDF format??) for the whole lot, but I'm greedy and something of a DOX collector. The one-file idea makes for a mega-size file, though, and not everyone would be keen on that. Individual scans might be more useful for those wanting to check them out and maybe grab a few for shoops or general interest or whatever. You could upload the lot here in their own thread if on-line storage capacity and/or techno know how presents a challenge . . . and then post a link on the various Scientology venues like WWP, the Bunker, OCMB, and Facebook groups, etc. Another option is to load them onto one of the many image-sites (like PhotoBucket, Flickr and so on) which you could use as the "holding pen".

What a great weekend project, and what a wonderful gift to share with the Internet.