What's new

Scientology and other cult 'marketing' practices - Request for information

Hi Guys,

Been a long time reader here and posted recently to introduce myself. The highlight for me this year was getting to hear Mr Ortega speak on his book tour (visited my hometown of Adelaide down under). Was a great event!

I wanted to ask the board if there were any specific members here who had experience in positions of creating marketing materials for the church during their time on staff or similar. I am devising the idea of putting together a resource that explores the tactics and practices of the church in more detail.

Alternatively if you can point me in the direction of helpful resources I would be grateful.

Cheers.

S.

Jump

Operating teatime
Hi Guys,

Been a long time reader here and posted recently to introduce myself. The highlight for me this year was getting to hear Mr Ortega speak on his book tour (visited my hometown of Adelaide down under). Was a great event!

I wanted to ask the board if there were any specific members here who had experience in positions of creating marketing materials for the church during their time on staff or similar. I am devising the idea of putting together a resource that explores the tactics and practices of the church in more detail.

Alternatively if you can point me in the direction of helpful resources I would be grateful.

Cheers.

S.

Hi Rev and welcome. :welcome2:

Jefferson Hawkins put together plenty of marketing exercises for the cult back in the 80s?

He is since out and has written exposing books including "Counterfeit Dreams".

Good luck with your project. :)

JustSheila

Crusader
Hi Revolucion1!

Nice to see you here again.

I'm not quite sure what you're looking for - just the policies?

We have a member here who handled AOLA's promotional materials for a number of years, practically alone, however, the member wishes identity to be completely anonymous.

If you're just looking for policies and that sort of thing, there are lots of people here who worked in mgmt or other areas that can supply that.

Can you be a little more specific? I can relay info from the AOLA former promo person if you need very specific information beyond policies and he/she wishes to respond.

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
:welcome: Good to know you've lurked for a while, many do not take the time, so you probably haz a general idea of the over-all con involved, and it truly is complicated.

I would suggest looking at some of the old policies via Hubbard's spew, if your guts are good, then look up things like the 'Brennan Affidavit', talk to Tory/Magoo, its such a convoluted rabbit-hole it will take some patience and a tonne of reading.

My wee atm off-the-hip response, the 'figuring' part can be quite complex imho, it is such a convoluted mess, take some time and read, read, read.

:cheers:

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
The whole con is based on selling nothing for something, money mon, it's what it is all about, but on one of the most slimy levels you could imagine.

Read up!

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
I know they would rely on marketing surveys to come up with "buttons" to use in the promo.

For instance, they might survey what people think represents "valuable" and say the majority of public said diamonds. So the promo might have a picture of diamonds and a headline saying something like "Advanced courses....more valuable than diamonds".

So what was being promoted was positioned against the value of precious gems....positioned ABOVE the value of something like diamonds.

It makes no difference that advanced courses might actually be worthless or even detrimental.

The promo was designed to create "want".

Another thing they do is use success stories....lots and lots of success stories. And usually without the person's name, just initials. So that if (when) that person is later declared an SP, they don't have to destroy the promo piece.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP

Jefferson Hawkins put together plenty of marketing exercises for the cult back in the 80s?

Didn't Steve Hall also work in the CMU (Central Marketing Unit) at the Int Base as well as Jefferson Hawkins? :unsure:

His website is www.scientology-cult.com should you want to contact him as well Rev.

Thanks Jump. I actually have never followed through on reading all the books such as Counterfeit Dreams. It makes sense to delve into these to get the official word :). Based on the comments here I am going to revise my original post with some clearer requests.

Hi Revolucion1!

Nice to see you here again.

I'm not quite sure what you're looking for - just the policies?

We have a member here who handled AOLA's promotional materials for a number of years, practically alone, however, the member wishes identity to be completely anonymous.

If you're just looking for policies and that sort of thing, there are lots of people here who worked in mgmt or other areas that can supply that.

Can you be a little more specific? I can relay info from the AOLA former promo person if you need very specific information beyond policies and he/she wishes to respond.

Thanks Sheila, also for the potential AOLA contact. Based on the responses here I am rethinking my original request to be more specific. I am familiar with the high level policies already. A number of people have suggested that the breadth of the material might be best represented if I can be clear in what I want to put together in my project. I'll update my original post shortly.

:welcome: Good to know you've lurked for a while, many do not take the time, so you probably haz a general idea of the over-all con involved, and it truly is complicated.

I would suggest looking at some of the old policies via Hubbard's spew, if your guts are good, then look up things like the 'Brennan Affidavit', talk to Tory/Magoo, its such a convoluted rabbit-hole it will take some patience and a tonne of reading.

My wee atm off-the-hip response, the 'figuring' part can be quite complex imho, it is such a convoluted mess, take some time and read, read, read.

Thanks Ogson. I consider myself to be fairly well versed on the history of Scn despite never formally being inside. It's amazing how a curiosity can turn into an obsession around a cult. There are many times where I have been close to wanting to 'try it' for myself. The closest I got was talking to some independent practitioners who gave me a few auditing sessions.

I will look up the sources and individuals you mentioned. I am familiar with Tory. I have also prepared myself that for me to give this project any legs lots of reading including Señor Hubbard's words of wisdom. Your lost emoji and suggestion it might be best to do it with a drink in hand might be good advice to get me through ;).

I know they would rely on marketing surveys to come up with "buttons" to use in the promo.

For instance, they might survey what people think represents "valuable" and say the majority of public said diamonds. So the promo might have a picture of diamonds and a headline saying something like "Advanced courses....more valuable than diamonds".

So what was being promoted was positioned against the value of precious gems....positioned ABOVE the value of something like diamonds.

It makes no difference that advanced courses might actually be worthless or even detrimental.

The promo was designed to create "want".

Another thing they do is use success stories....lots and lots of success stories. And usually without the person's name, just initials. So that if (when) that person is later declared an SP, they don't have to destroy the promo piece.

Thanks for the insights Wild. I am familiar with the success stories in say the Freedom Magazines. The OT stories were some incredible fantasy fiction. Real page turners :yes:.

Really interesting to know about how they used marketing surveys. I have seen lots of materials where they correlate their courses with being as valuable as a rare commodity or they will reference someone who says doing a course enabled them to make lots of money.

I remember the time I listened to my first lecture and walked away with the feeling of 'that's it?'. :ohmy:

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron

Absolutely. Jeff Hawkins "Counterfeit Dreams" is must-read!

Didn't Steve Hall also work in the CMU (Central Marketing Unit) at the Int Base as well as Jefferson Hawkins? :unsure:

His website is www.scientology-cult.com should you want to contact him as well Rev.

Thanks Type4, I am familiar with hearing about Steve in the independent movement but he did't actually come to mind as a possible contact. I took a look at the site and found it to be a great resource. Sounds like he did a lot for their marketing over the years!

Based on everyone's responses (thanks all), I have revised my request for information to be around the following parameters:

1. Staff / Contacts: Individuals who worked on staff inside Scientology directly / indirectly on marketing and promotional pieces.
2. References to Practices: Policies and practices that are documented referring to the marketing and promotional practices of the church.
3. Materials: Examples of standard marketing and promotional materials that are used by the church.

For example I know that my third request is greatly helped by the leaks thread. Any other repositories of files you know about please point me in the right direction. :thumbsup:

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
Based on everyone's responses (thanks all), I have revised my request for information to be around the following parameters:

1. Staff / Contacts: Individuals who worked on staff inside Scientology directly / indirectly on marketing and promotional pieces.

2. References to Practices: Policies and practices that are documented referring to the marketing and promotional practices of the church.
3. Materials: Examples of standard marketing and promotional materials that are used by the church.

For example I know that my third request is greatly helped by the leaks thread. Any other repositories of files you know about please point me in the right direction.

I think you said you have never been "in" Scientology, so here is a helpful tip.

The marketing policies and practices are often two entirely different things.

Yes, there are voluminous marketing policies of how to handle the public in order to get their interest and/or money for auditing/training. Such as the "Dissemination Formula" (finding the person's ruin). However, when all the policies and "marketing tech" inevitably fail to keep the Scientologist PAYING and MOVING UP THE BRIDGE, then Scientology marketing resorts to its extensive hidden bag of sales tricks & treachery, ranging from coercion to blatant fraud.

You might want to make it a point to read all the published information about "regging" and the mea culta confessions of million dollar registrars such as (now deceased) Hy Levy, one of Flag's huge earners over the decades. There trench warfare that took place in orgs around the world (involving teams of registrars versus Scientologists with money) is the real story of Scientology marketing. That's where vast majority of outrageous & manipulative marketing lies happened, behind closed doors.

You have to realized that entire gangs of registrars very extensively plotted and strategized how to shake each member down, just like professional career criminals preparing for a bank robbery.

Scientologists, always the compliant do-gooder dupes that they are, actually allowed themselves to be gang-regged and psychologically beaten down to the point they surrendered all their cash, assets and credit cards. And when those financial resources were eventually exhausted, allowing registrars to arrange higher credit card limits so they could borrow themselves in bankruptcy even faster! We are talking about ritualistic self-sacrifice & masochism.

Just know, when you are reading the "policies" and "scripture" about how the COS markets its services to parishioners, know that you are being lied to because every single policy has a correspondent policy that directly contradicts that (see "The Hubbard Law of Commotion" discussions on the Stupid Thread)

Good luck with your very worthwhile project!

Jump

Operating teatime
I think you said you have never been "in" Scientology, so here is a helpful tip.

Yes, there are voluminous marketing policies of how to handle the public in order to get their interest and/or money for auditing/training. Such as the "Dissemination Formula" (finding the person's ruin). However, when all the policies and "marketing tech" inevitably fail to keep the Scientologist PAYING and MOVING UP THE BRIDGE, then Scientology marketing resorts to its extensive hidden bag of sales tricks & treachery, ranging from coercion to blatant fraud.

You might want to make it a point to read all the published information about "regging" and the mea culta confessions of million dollar registrars such as (now deceased) Hy Levy, one of Flag's huge earners over the decades. There trench warfare that took place in orgs around the world (involving teams of registrars versus Scientologists with money) is the real story of Scientology marketing. That's where vast majority of outrageous & manipulative marketing lies happened, behind closed doors.

You have to realized that entire gangs of registrars very extensively plotted and strategized how to shake each member down, just like professional career criminals preparing for a bank robbery.

Scientologists, always the compliant do-gooder dupes that they are, actually allowed themselves to be gang-regged and psychologically beaten down to the point they surrendered all their cash, assets and credit cards. And when those financial resources were eventually exhausted, allowing registrars to arrange higher credit card limits so they could borrow themselves in bankruptcy even faster! We are talking about ritualistic self-sacrifice & masochism.

Just know, when you are reading the "policies" and "scripture" about how the COS markets its services to parishioners, know that you are being lied to because every single policy has a correspondent policy that directly contradicts that (see "The Hubbard Law of Commotion" discussions on the Stupid Thread)

Thanks for those insights.

There is a write up somewhere of how Debbie Cook comprehensively over many years, milked Maria Pia Gardini of every asset and resource before she died.

Gib

Crusader

For example I know that my third request is greatly helped by the leaks thread. Any other repositories of files you know about please point me in the right direction. :thumbsup:

Mike Rinders blog every Thursday funnies is an example of their marketing & promotional materials:

http://www.mikerindersblog.org/thursday-funnies-60/

All the marketing and PR by the COS is sublime.

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thanks for the insights Wild. I am familiar with the success stories in say the Freedom Magazines. The OT stories were some incredible fantasy fiction. Real page turners :yes:.

Really interesting to know about how they used marketing surveys. I have seen lots of materials where they correlate their courses with being as valuable as a rare commodity or they will reference someone who says doing a course enabled them to make lots of money.

I remember the time I listened to my first lecture and walked away with the feeling of 'that's it?'. :ohmy:

Keep in mind that LRH was a micro-manager. All this policy was outwardly supposed to enable people to operate efficiently, to delegate, and to demonstrate initiative. However, if you step back and look at the big picture, the net result of a policy or program - you will see that the final execution is deeply flawed and self destructive. Part of this is because behind the scenes there are a stream of orders from on high or other policies that negate free thinking and initiative or allow for an overriding arbitrary interpretation in the name of "Making it go right".

You can do positioning surveys but if your motivation is wrong then the application of the survey result will be negative. What is it about a diamond or rocket ship that has anything to do with helping people reach spiritual enlightenment? Its just sales. People get inundated with manipulative sales techniques from the day they are born. That is the final message - Scientology is more interested in marketing and sales than actually helping people.

Look at all the neo-Art Deco bling. The same symbols used redundantly, everything is a framework or prop for a symbol. Triangles and the Aleister Crowley inspired cross and circles and "S"s and triangles again. Its a conceptual rut and all they can do is try to be more creative and in-your-face with presentation of the same rut. If it were a Christian Church they would use Jesus on a Cross patterned wallpaper.

In the OEC Vol. 6 for the Distribution Division that handles raw public, the "First Policy" 8-10 March 1950, restated 2 September 1970:

"MAINTAIN FRIENDLY RELATIONS WITH THE ENVIRONMENT AND THE PUBLIC"

L. Ron Hubbard
Founder

This is issued to "All Staff" and the "PRO (Public Relations Officer) Checksheet".

Try to jibe this senior public relations policy with the Criminal Timeline:

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...of-Scientology&p=591003&viewfull=1#post591003

And BTW, we used to make up success stories for promo. Just using initials helped hide the fact that it was a bunch of staff members and still get it through IA (Issue Authority).

You seem like a nice guy but I hate to see someone invest so much time trying to make sense of this.

Good luck!

Thanks Hoax for clarifying Practices and Policies in Scientology land. I am familiar with the contradicting nature of LRH writings, but sounds like it makes up the whole outfit.

It makes sense that those glossy flyers and success stories are only the icing on a really shitty cake. It's the behind the scenes tricks like harassment and sheer pressure of regging that can be said to get 'results'.

Your insight that the bubble parishioners exist in only lends themselves to give away more money and get themselves into further debt is truly a scary thing. One's sense of reality of common sense must truly disappear. I have read horror stories, but to read it as you put it is confronting for an outsider to only try and comprehend.

Thanks for the encouragement. This is not a project of a small magnitude, but I hope to chip away at it over time, the information is certainly here to use.

Thanks for those insights.

There is a write up somewhere of how Debbie Cook comprehensively over many years, milked Maria Pia Gardini of every asset and resource before she died.

Didn't Debbie Cook eventually come out and pretend she was done with the church Jump?