What's new

Scientology and the Supreme Being

Tanstaafl

Crusader
That is so fucked up.

So it's not just Scns with "a sick and twisted world perspective".

God = The Force that created "the universe"?

I don't necessarilly believe in a creative force, but it's pretty obvious to my drug ridden brain that a creative force exists. If something exists, it must have been created at some point, right? Well, whatever created the universe, is "god".

I have been asked if Scientologists believe in god and have usually answered that it depends on the individual Scientologist and what definition of "god" one is using.

I will admit, though, that I don't believe in the god that these girls and their parents believe in. Almost definitely supported by biblical garbage.

god_hates_fags.jpg

paradox

ab intra silentio vera
Might be of interest to some. Found it long ago somewhere on the internet, but didn't note from where. A search would probably turn it up. The sense of "supreme being" wrapped up in the Germanic-derived English word "God" is quite late on the chain. FWIW.

Where does "God" come from anyway??
Do you know?

The Old Testament was written in the Hebrew language, but the New Testament (including the gospels) was written in Greek. In the early 400’s, it was translated into Latin, and in the middle ages it was again translated into English (a Germanic language),

In Hebrew language, el, elohim and eloah, all the three words mean god (or God) according to the person’s own concept. el was the name for Saturn.

Originally elohim meant gods as a collective noun. There was no system of using capital letters in the early days, and even today the Hebrew Bible uses small ‘e’ for el or elohim or eloah. There is no word with female gender for god in Hebrew.

In Greek language there is a word ‘theos’ that is used for god or gods, and also for God. It literally means ‘the sacred’ or ‘the object of prayer.’ Primarily it was meant for Zeus (later, Roman Jupiter) or any other Greek god. In Classical Greek it was used for god/gods. In Classical Greek there is no capitalization of words.

In Modern Greek only in the beginning of a paragraph or in the names of certain important personalities or in the headline of a chapter, the first letter is capitalized. The word theos is not capitalized even in the latest Bible. It just means god or gods or God, and it is masculine gender; thea means goddess and theai means goddesses.

In Latin language the word ‘deus’ is meant for god or deity which is derived from the word ‘deiuos’ which refers to the idea of a luminous sky (a shiny thing or some kind of heaven). The Latin language took its literary shape between 200-100 BC.

In common Germanic, also called Teutonic language, (before 800 AD) there was a word ‘gutha’ that was used for ‘god.’ It meant the invoked being, guth (single) and gutha (plural).

Pagans also used the word guth/gutha for god/gods. It was formed from the root verb ghu (to invoke), and ghu was a variation of its ancestor hu (to call, to invoke). Gutha word was later called gud in Swedish, Danish and old Norse; and in Old High German and Middle High German it was written as gut.

In the modern High German it was written as Gott. The same is in modern German; and in English it is ‘God’ which is singular masculine. In the beginning ‘Gott’ was neutral gender (it), then it began to be used as a singular masculine noun. Plural for Gott is Götter, and its feminine word is Göttin/Göttinen for goddess/goddesses.

Earliest attestation of the Germanic word in the 6th centuryCodex Argenteus (Mt 5:9)

From the "Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable (Sixteenth Edition, Revised by Adrian Room) "God. A word common, in slightly varying forms, to all Germanic languages, and coming from a root word related to Old Irish 'guth,' 'voice.' It is in no way connected with the English word 'good.'" From the "Barnhart Concise Dictionary of Etymology" by Robert K. Barnhart (HarperCollins Publishers, New York, 1995). "God or god. n. Old English (about 725) 'god' Supreme Being, deity; cognate with Old Frisian, Old Saxon, and Dutch, 'god,' Supreme Being, deity,

Old High German 'got' (modern German 'Gott'), Old Icelandic 'godh,' 'gudh,' and Gothic 'guth,' ...

The original meaning and etymology of the Germanic word god ... Proto-Indo-European form *ǵhutóm, which is a passive perfect participle from the root *ǵhu-, which likely meant "libation", "sacrifice". Compare:-

Last edited:

Pixie

Crusader
God = The Force that created "the universe"?

I don't necessarilly believe in a creative force, but it's pretty obvious to my drug ridden brain that a creative force exists. If something exists, it must have been created at some point, right? Well, whatever created the universe, is "god".

I have been asked if Scientologists believe in god and have usually answered that it depends on the individual Scientologist and what definition of "god" one is using.

I will admit, though, that I don't believe in the god that these girls and their parents believe in. Almost definitely supported by biblical garbage.

god_hates_fags.jpg

That photo is heartbreaking, the parents ought to be so disgusted with themselves here. I'm trying not to judge this, but to brainwash young kids into anything religious, cultish whatever, is just not on. Parents should not be allowed to do this to their kids, this encites racial and religious hatred not to mention breed bad feelings that eventually lead to war. What kind of sick so called parents would do this? This is as bad as the cult. I remember having this conversation with my mother age ten, I was getting harrassed at school for being the 'wrong' religion, I asked my mother what gave her the right to stamp any label on my forehead almost as soon as I was born, why was I not given a choice as it appeared to me that 'labels' create seperateness and fighting. She of course did not answer instead slapped me for disrespecting her, anyway, ugh, this is just horrible.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Applied philosophy is closer yet. Religion is open to interpretation. The classic argument is that Buddhists have no transcendant being that they are praying to (not even Siddhartha!). Yet Buddhism is considered a religion. I'd argue that it isn't, that it is actually applied philosophy (otherwise known as rhetoric) as well. Scientology is actually a form of rhetoric, rather than a religion.

Technically speaking.

Ah, but it's applied "Religious" philosophy. Not applied philosphy that's a religion. IMO, something could be LIKE something or have the elements of something...and be "ious" and not be full tilt boogie totally totally that thing.

Maybe it should be "applied kinda sorta religious philosophy" :roflmao:

Tanstaafl

Crusader
Who created The Force (God).

If God exists, it must have been created at some point, right?

Neo

Good luck with that one!

I promise you that if you really dedicate yourself to solving this one you are guaranteed to disappear up your own arse. And I for one won't volunteer to pull you out! :D

gomorrhan

Gold Meritorious Patron
If you are talking to yourself, and calling one aspect of yourself God, that's your business. Otherwise, I'd love to hear whatever conversation you had with God. Please tell me his phone number.

Terril park

Sponsor
The eighth dynamic is defined as "faith" in the R&D vols. This works across the boards. Faith is a personal thing. A person's relationship with God is a matter of faith. It took many years in Scientology to locate this reference but it worked for me and everyone I ever came across who had a question about it. ( Course Supervisor trick)
:yes:

Can you be a bit more specific? Some here may not want to read several blue encyclopedia sized books. :)

Terril park

Sponsor
Thanks a lot Fluff! :grouch: Another reminder of what a gullible idiot I was. :melodramatic:

Translation of quote into English: "I've no fucking idea what I'm talking about but you schmucks are the mystery sandwiches of all time and just love sucking up this shit. I position myself with quotes likes these as a much bigger being (one you could never quite aspire to be) than you all while coming across as a nice guy." or "Scientologist, I am your father."

Hubbard, having soaked up the adoration and worship of the crowd then struts, with a "superior, but man of the people"-type air back to his study. He sits down at this desk. He feels proud. But then a feeling of "missed withholdiness" begins to creep in. What on earth could be causing that............? :whistling:

What a BS artist. :clap:

(Yes, I'm feeling a little bitter to day. Sorry.)

A lot of truth here even if unintended IMO.

He got a lot started.

He promised a bridge and didn't deliver more than a beginning and a middle but no end. Don't think he'd have felt good about that....

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
That's a good point. So I'd like to ask those who feel that Scn shouldn't be called a religion because it doesn't inculcate deity worship-- how is that different from Buddhism and Taoism being recognized as religions?

gomorrhan

Gold Meritorious Patron
That's not my argument. My argument is that it isn't a religion because Hubbard said it's not a religion, and only changed from "science of certainty" in order to accomodate "the religion angle".

Tanstaafl

Crusader
If you are talking to yourself, and calling one aspect of yourself God, that's your business. Otherwise, I'd love to hear whatever conversation you had with God. Please tell me his phone number.

He's ex-directory and gets so many calls that I had to promise not the pass on the number. Anyway, don't waste your dime since the lotto numbers were way off. :duh: You can't rely on anyone these days. :melodramatic:

The Tao that can be written is not the eternal Tao.

I believe we all exist as God and ourselves and maybe many levels inbetween.
I also believe that some of us are more closely "related" than others.

gomorrhan

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hubbard speculated that there may be races of thetans. Up to 15, I think he said, on Earth, in "History of Man". I don't buy that at all, but then, I also don't buy the idea of the thetan or of God at all.