What's new

Scientology Breeds Fanaticism

Jim Faust

Patron with Honors
I was going through a closet today and found a folder with various Scientology issues in it. I briefly scanned through it. Doing so made me realize, once again, just how severe the Scientology indoctrination is. There is an underlying viewpoint instilled in members that slants their reality, conditions their reasoning ability, and allows them to commit harm to others. What is this viewpoint?

It is the viewpoint that, "we are the last free beings, we are the ONLY group able to salvage people, we are the ONLY group with a workable tech able to solve the problems of society, and we are on a live-or-die-in-the-attempt mission to bring this wonderful LRH tech to every man, woman and child on planet Earth".

Yes, it is an insane view. I have found that any group that considers itself SUPERIOR to everybody else, philosophically, ideologically or religiously, also practices the maxim: The ends justify the means. In other words, these sort of people will stoop to behavior few others will, because they BELIEVE they are the recipients and holders of some GREAT TRUTH! I have seen it over and over. Church of Scientology members routinely get to a point, rather quickly due to constant indoctrination of KSW-related materials, where he or she truly believes that only his or her group is "right". Also, Hubbard endlessly puts out the view that you will end up a "cinder", "in oblivion", "tortured forever", "dying a thousand horrible deaths" if you fail to get Scn applied to yourself. The message is relentless. Hubbard repeatedly brings up how little time there is, how nasty and bad the enemy is, and that unless "we" do the job NOW, we won't ever get another chance! Constant threats of doom and gloom (as with most religions).

There are many LRH quotes, which members read and study routinely, which drive this attitude home. Here are a few. I will add more every once in awhile as there are MANY.

"I expect and need your help to carry out the broad mission of de-contaminating this area of the universe". (An Open Letter To All Clears)

"Will you take advantage of the carefully marked trail upward? I hope you do, my friends. For if you don't, it will be very lonely in the sky". (LRH ED 347 INT, RJ 37)

"A handful of us are working our guts out to beat Deadline Earth. On us alone depends whether your kid will ever see sixteen or your people will ever make it at all. A few of us see the world has got a chance if we don't dawdle along the way. Our chance is a thin chance at best. We are working as hard as we can in Scientology. And, the only slim chance this planet has rests on a few slim shoulders, overworked, underpaid and fought - the Scientologist. Later on, if we make it, what will be your answer to this question? Did you help?" ("Five Years", 1967, Auditor Mag #9)

"In this time and place - for possibly just a little while, we have this chance. To go free and to make it. Planets and cultures are frail things. They do not endure. I strongly advise you work hard at it - don't waste this brief breath in eternity." (LRH ED 342 INT, RJ 35)

"I have been researching upper OT levels, and I can tell you this very plainly: If Scn doesn't make it worldwide you've had it - yes, I mean you. One is not working for just this life. He is working for any future life at all". (HCO PL 14 March 1982 Financial Irregularities)

"A post in a Scientology Organization isn't a job. It's a trust and a crusade. We're free mean and women - probably the last free men and women on earth. Remember, we'll have to come back to Earth some day no matter what 'happens' to us. If we don't do a good job now we may never get another chance. Yes, I'm sure that's the way it is. So, we have an organization, we have a field we must support, we have a chance. That's more than we had last time night's curtain began to fall on freedom." (HCO PL Your Post)

"We didn't, a long time ago, get in Ethics. We goofed! And the whole race went into the soup where it remains to this day. And, if we are to live in this universe at all we are going to have to get in Ethics and clean it up. Whether that's easy to confront or not is beside the point. The horrid truth is that our fate is FAR more unconfrontable". (HCO PL 20 Oct 67 Conditions, How To Assign)

These are just a random sampling of the type of "fanatic-creating fodder" that Hubbard slips in every chance he can. I could examine each statement, and critique each in various ways, but for now, let the comments fly. The main point for now is that when any person accepts, adopts and comes to BELIEVE this sort of stuff, well, that person's entire outlook becomes FAR different than most other people. The person becomes severe, rigid, uncompromising, working towards goals that make little sense to the rest of humanity, or in other words he or she takes on the color of a FANATIC. Also, once a person actually "thinks" with this sort of scenario, his or her behavior changes markedly. The GOAL, the TRUST, the CRUSADE become more important than anything else, and ANYTHING that slows or interferes with realizing the GOAL (clearing the planet) becomes BAD - to be attacked, and destroyed. That is why the Church can comfortably, without any guilt or remorse, frame an innocent person in a crime, which she didn't commit (Paulette Copper). That is why the Church can lie, over and over, because their "goal" is lofty and pure (in their twisted, distorted mentalities). These type of people constantly think with and apply the idea, "the ends justify the means". Anything done to win is acceptable. ANYTHING! Limitations, restrictions and therefore, decency, do NOT exist within the realm of brutal Scientology indoctrination.
Brilliantly well said. That's right at the heart of the crazy train.

Francois Tremblay

Patron with Honors
Saw the movie The Lives of Others, about the East German Stasi. We found that there were strong parallels with Scientology and the Sea Org. The only thing we found that was really different was that Scientology gang bang sec checks are worse than the interrogations shown in the movie.

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
And to look back & admit that I was once part of that fanaticism still makes me shudder even all these years later.

Last edited:

SPsince83

Gold Meritorious Patron
Saw the movie The Lives of Others, about the East German Stasi. We found that there were strong parallels with Scientology and the Sea Org. The only thing we found that was really different was that Scientology gang bang sec checks are worse than the interrogations shown in the movie.

When I was gang bang sec checked, we had never heard of such a thing. The finance police had us lined up in qual about six or eight at a time and they hit us with everything. I had a read that I couldn't find and was set upon by 4 uniformed storm troopers screaming in my face about my crimes. Turned out I had a book in my auditing room that said "Div 6" and therefore I was a thief. Then things got really weird. Leserve publicly announced he hated the mission network and wanted it to end. It was when the name Miscavige was first heard in the field. The coup was on.

Agent86

Key Belief Number One

The future of every man, woman and child, for all eternity depends solely on what we accomplish realizing the goals of Scientology. If we fail we all will suffer and die for endless eternities. We will die horrible deaths over and over forever.

The condition of people, governments, medicine, science, education and even the entire universe taken as a whole is horrible, decayed, dying and failing. This will only get worse if it continues unhandled.

Therefore, the actions of Scientology are more important than anything anywhere at anytime past, present or future. There is nothing that even takes a close second-place.

As a spiritual being, I am eternal, and must come back into new bodies over and over. I will continue in this cycle of rebirth and death, with pain and with suffering, for all eternity UNLESS I succeed with Scientology.

This is the "gloom & doom" basis of Scientology beliefs. The view is basically that everything is horrible, and will remain horrible, UNLESS Scientology succeeds wholly in its mission, because ONLY Scientology has the information and methods that can stop the gloom and doom from happening. It is that simple. It is typical SALVATION mentality; we, the Church of Scientology, have accurately described the state of salvation and only we, the Church of Scientology, offer the correct path to reach that state of salvation.

This is what I call an example of 'Merchants of Chaos.' Basically bad news to get people fearful of everything and seek a solution. Scientology always criticizes the media as 'Merchants of Chaos', which is what they are doing themselves. E.g., Bad stuff will happen unless you take our courses, join staff, and donate all your lucre.

Agent86

Here are a few quotes by Hubbard displaying the basis of the above belief. There are many more possible quotes that could be shown that display similar sentiments.

"We're not playing some minor game in Scientology. It isn't cute or something to do for lack of something better.

The whole agonized future of the planet, every man, woman and child on it, and your own destiny for the next endless trillions of years depend on what you do here and now with and in Scientology.

This is a deadly serious activity. And if we miss getting out of the trap now, we may never again have another chance.

Remember, this is our first chance to do so in all the endless trillions of years of the past."

(L. Ron Hubbard HCO PL 7 February 1965 Keeping Scientology Working Series 1)

Notice the references such as the "whole agonized future of the planet", "deadly serious activity", "first chance to do so in all the endless trillions of years" and "we may never again have another chance." This is the tone of the subject materials of Scientology. This is the framework that the entire organization operates from. This viewpoint, wildly different than almost ANY other person or group, is rigid, unwavering, severe, unconditional, absolute and entirely incapable of and unwilling to compromise. The reader needs to get a handle on this if you are to ever understand them and what motivates them. This is not just another self-help group; just as Hubbard himself says.

When I was in the org listening to the course descriptions, the reg's described how the courses like Study Tech would help me learn and study better and therby improve my job performance. It wasn't until I paid for the courses and began the course that the above viewpoints were revealed to me.
It's not really about improving your job and life and self. It's how they sell it though.

Cheers.

Jump

Operating teatime
This is a deep thread. It challenges you to think about beliefs. I like it. I had to google the scientology words. L Ron Hubbard was full of gratuitous nonsense.

I'm sorry you feel that way. But don't worry we have the technology to handle that on your next level.

:hysterical:

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
Read this thread people.
Not only it will be so enlighting but if you were part of the last weeks of ESMB life, you may get a good laughter.

:D