Scientology centre doesn't get tax relief, council confirms

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet

Nice work Roland and all those who were involved in helping to make this happen.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/ne...tre_doesn_t_get_tax_relief__council_confirms/

POOLE’S Scientology centre does not benefit from special tax relief, it has been confirmed.

Communities secretary Eric Pickles has urged local authorities to stop offering breaks to the organisation, deemed not to be a religion in a Charity Commission ruling in 1999.

It has emerged at least four UK councils have provided rate relief to buildings associated with Scientology.

But Poole council says it has never offered discounted rates on the organisation’s premises on the High Street.

The 2010/11 rate for the Bournemouth Mission of the Church of Scientology on the High Street is £8,971.52.

A Church of Scientology spokesman said: “Local authorities, government bodies and the European court of human rights have all recognised the religious nature of Scientology, or the fact that Scientologists are actively helping those in their communities as a direct reflection of their religious beliefs.”

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
WUT!? - Way I read this, it's a win for CoS! - So it's confirmed that CoS doesn't receive tax breaks... Huh? - It's not that they got some breaks taken away..

Burp!

:duh:

WUT!? - Way I read this, it's a win for CoS! - So it's confirmed that CoS doesn't receive tax breaks... Huh? - It's not that they got some breaks taken away..

Burp!

:duh:

I guess, I looked it as a good thing, since they are going through the cult's various orgs and front groups and ensuring they get no tax breaks

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
^^ Yeah.. I guess you could read it that way.. But I can guarantee you that OSA writes this one up as a win. A newsarticle that confirm that they do not get tax reliefs..

We better see some tax reliefs exposed and recinded soon. Else the whole effort from the critics will look like wastin the govoornaments valuable time.

And OSA will be working hard to make my pessimistic forecast come true!

:yes: