Scientology Fighting Against 21st Century Cures FDA Reform Act

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Scientology Fighting Against 21st Century Cures FDA Reform Act.

First, from the Sec Check Blog: Scientology Fighting Against 21st Century Cures

https://seccheck.wordpress.com/2015/09/16/scientology-fighting-against-21st-century-cures/

* * * * * BEGIN QUOTATION * * * * *

attachment.php

On September 19th the Tampa Ideal Org will host a briefing by Dr. Linda Lageman from the National Affairs Office in Washington, DC. Dr. Lageman is a Ph.D., not a medical doctor, and has worked with the Citizen’s Commission on Human Rights (CCHR) to oppose Psychiatric medicine.
Dr. Lageman is a former Psychologist for 23 years. Her work is featured in this year’s Maiden Voyage III event. It is because of her actions that we have one of the biggest wins on the CCHR front that is saving thousands of children. She will be coming straight from meetings on Capitol Hill and will share with you what we are doing on the national level to derail Psychiatry.
The legislation that Scientology opposes is the 21st Century Cures act, which passed the House of Representatives on July 10th with a large majority of both parties. It directs several agencies that deal with medical research to streamline the process of approving new pharmaceuticals and medical devices so that patients have access to them faster, and establishes the Council for 21st Century Cures, a non-profit that will focus on accelerating access to new discoveries. If Dr. Lageman has any meetings scheduled on Capitol Hill, they would be with members of the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions.

This is the second briefing we have seen on this subject. In the first event in Seattle, Scientologists were warned that this bill
Has the purpose of making it very easy for Big Pharma and Psychs to get new drugs, ECT, brain implants and other “treatments” approved by the FDA and into use rapidly by effectively eliminating the need for any trials or tests to demonstrate effectiveness.
Supporters of the bill say it will help patients with rare diseases, and help new discoveries reach patients sooner. Opponents say the bill compromises patient health by allowing treatments to reach patients without sufficient study.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

Next, Mike Rinder has an interesting observation about this.

From Mike's Thursday Funnies: http://www.mikerindersblog.org/thursday-funnies-49/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

A=A=A

Somehow the psychs take precedence over anything. What if there are life-saving drugs that cure diseases that are delayed? It doesn’t “covertly” include ANYTHING. FDA regulations for testing drugs are very transparent and you can see every drug ever tested or under testing at clinicaltrials.gov. No mood altering drug fits into the category of a “life-saving” medicine — but let’s oppose this bill because the psychs are probably tricking us.

CCHR.jpg

Attachments

• 21stCenturyFDAReformAct.jpg
    21stCenturyFDAReformAct.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 215

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron
So the FDA is going to approve treatments without proving they are efficacious?

That's a pretty big change. Big enough to be unbelievable on its face.

cleared cannibal

Silver Meritorious Patron
scientology is really just afraid that someone is going to come up with a cure for scientology.

They are running the trials now for a cure.

I am part of a study in which Scientologists are exposed to various entheta sites. For me it was ESMB. I was informed that the study may have to cease as there is clear and convincing evidence that high doses of ESMB has a 90% cure rate.
In order to salvage the control group in which no entheta is allowed the study will be terminated and all Tx with ESMB. The combo Tx of Rinder, the Bunker, and ESMB along with a one time bolus of the documentary "Going Clear" seems to be the most effective current treatment.

Reasonable

Just because I don't like Scientology anymore does not mean that I like or trust the FDA and Big Pharma.

And just because Scientology is against the FDA and Big Pharma doesn't make then automatically wrong for it.

The problem is no one really knows what is in these bills and how they will play out.

Is this really a streamlining of the approval process to make it better or is it just a way to get more unsafe, untested drugs to the market?

Probably some of both is true but my money is on the idea that they will do what ever it takes to increase profits. If it helps or hurts people is not very relevant.

One thing for sure is that Big Pharma is money motivated. They always have been and why would they change now. They have a track record of putting out unsafe drugs, and slanting information and paying doctors to say what they want.

What about Scientology, why are they opposing this bill. Because they need an enemy, it is part of the cult formula. Also they need a cause to get you to donate. Very little of the money you donate will go to the cause. It will most likely buy Tom Cruz a new motorcycle.

CommunicatorIC

The problem is no one really knows what is in these bills and how they will play out.

How could it possibly be that "no one really knows what is in these bills" when the text of the Bill (there is only one in this case) is published on the web with all committee reports, etc.?

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/6

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/6/text

http://energycommerce.house.gov/cures

If one Googles "21st century cures act" one will find an enormous amount of summary, analysis, etc. on both sides of the issues.

I think Mike Rinder's point bear reiterating. Because they fear the Act may somehow benefit psychiatry (Mike's analysis is that it wouldn't, and I agree), the Church of Scientology has a knee jerk, fear mongering reaction against it -- no matter how many people might benefit.

You are right, of course. Just because the Church of Scientology is against something does not necessarily imply that thing is good or beneficial. However, I've found that a useful heuristic in life is that if the Church of Scientology is against something, then that thing is probably (though, again, not necessarily) good or beneficial.

In any event, Scientology's psychiatry paranoid "arguments" against the 21st Century Cures Act are fear-mongering bullshit.

Reasonable

In any event, Scientology's psychiatry paranoid "arguments" against the 21st Century Cures Act are fear-mongering bullshit.

The only reason they are behind any cause is to get people to donate money to them but......

Just because it is fear mongering does not necessarily make it wrong.

Just because you are paranoid does not mean that people are not out to get you.

Reasonable

How could it possibly be that "no one really knows what is in these bills" when the text of the Bill (there is only one in this case) is published on the web with all committee reports, etc.?

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/6

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/6/text

http://energycommerce.house.gov/cures
I read those links and I stand by what I said. Those documents are extremely nebulous and are subject to interpretation. We have no idea how they will turn out. They may help cut red tape and get good drugs to market and/ or they may help big pharma to get bad drugs to market.

The bottom line is that big pharma will use any law to do what they can to make more money. I don't trust them based on their track record and of course my own bias based on what I have seen.

I distrust big pharma and Scientology about equally. They are both self serving corporations whose main goal is to create, or exaggerate a problem and then sell a cure that doesn't really work so that they can keep selling you new improved cures. The main goal is profit for the corporation.

Last edited:

secretiveoldfag

I read those links and I stand by what I said. Those documents are extremely nebulous and are subject to interpretation. We have no idea how they will turn out. They may help cut red tape and get good drugs to market and/ or they may help big pharma to get bad drugs to market.

The bottom line is that bug pharma will use any law to do what they can to make more money. I don't trust then based on their tack record and of course my own bias based on what I have seen.

I distrust big pharma and Scientology about equally. They are both self serving corporations whose main goal is to create, or exaggerate a problem and then sell cure that doesn't really work so that they can keep selling you new improved cures. The main goal is profit for the corporation.

This sounds very reasonable and middle moral ground and so on, but as you say, based on what you have seen. Just wait until your life depends on taking drugs, or until the life of someone you love depends on a new drug. Then you'll find that bug pharma justifies its existence pretty fast. And their record in providing cures, life enhancement and prolongation is a lot better than any quack's.

CommunicatorIC

Legistorm has more information.

Former US House Rep is Ex-Rep. Dan Burton now lobbying for Scientology organization

https://www.legistorm.com/pro_news/view/id/1488.html

Ex-Rep. Dan Burton now lobbying for Scientology organization

Former Rep. Dan Burton (R-Ind.) is now officially a lobbyist, having filed to lobby on behalf of a group founded by the Church of Scientology
Burton, through his firm Dan Burton International LLC, registered as a lobbyist for the Citizens Commission on Human Rights, an organization established by the Church of Scientology in 1969 that advocates against psychiatry and psychiatric medicine. Burton's filing indicates he is representing CCHR's position on issues related to "psychiatric treatments including drugs and brain devices" in the 21st Century Cures Act, which has passed the House and as of yet has no counterpart in the Senate.

This lobbying role is not Burton's first encounter with Scientology. While not a member of the Church, Burton attended the opening of the Church's national office in 2012 and commended the CCHR for its work and the opening of their National Public Affairs Office in Washington, D.C. a few months prior.

Burton and Church officials are also allied in their skepticism of the Food and Drug Administration. Scientology has been in an ongoing battle with the agency for decades. Meanwhile, Burton has criticized the agency on a number of fronts, such as his belief that an FDA-approved vaccine caused autism in his grandson. The FDA and other government agencies reject the theory.

A former committee staffer of Burton's, Beth Clay, who has fought with the FDA on alternative medicines and other matters, has served as a board member on the CCHR.

* * * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

CommunicatorIC

This is the link to Burton's official US Senate and House of Representatives LD-1 Disclosure Report:

http://disclosures.house.gov/ld/ldxmlrelease/2015/RR/300749880.xml

Notice Item 12:

12. Specific lobbying issues (current and anticipated)

H. R. 6 - 21st Century Cures Act and Senate counterpart (not yet introduced) to make sure adequate protections are maintained in law with reference to psychiatric treatments including drugs and devices.

This is the link to Burton's official US Senate and House of Representatives LD-2 Disclosure Report:

http://disclosures.house.gov/ld/ldxmlrelease/2015/Q3/300755227.xml

Last edited:

tutu

Patron
Every time I see FDA bills, I see of Vioxx. See this drug was labeled dangerous since people died of heart attacks while using it. However they are so many drugs on the market that cause cancer, yet they are still on the market. These are generic drugs so not much money is being made on them. But Vioxx was one of those "evil pharma making $$$$$" yet this drug helped many patients. Some patients begged the FDA to bring back Vioxx because it was the only thing that helped them and yet they wouldn't approve the drug because it was dangerous. Even though the patients were given their life back, this drug was deemed dangerous. Shouldn't the decision be between a doctor and patient?

CommunicatorIC

A new technology shows promise for treating depression, so Scientology wants to kill it.

Rod Keller on Tony Ortega's blog: A new technology shows promise for treating depression, so Scientology wants to kill it

http://tonyortega.org/2016/12/04/a-...g-depression-so-scientology-wants-to-kill-it/

Scientologists received a call to arms this week from the Citizens Commission on Human Rights (CCHR). CCHR is a Scientology front group that works to oppose all forms of mental health care, but in particular against psychiatric medicines and electroconvulsive therapy, or ECT. About 100,000 people receive ECT in the US each year to treat severe depression It is effective for 75 to 90 percent of patients who receive it and should be followed up with prescription medicine that helps prevent a relapse.

Scientology has seen Psychiatry and ECT as a social evil since the 1950s when the medical profession rejected Dianetics as a new tool for treating patients. Psychiatrists are demonized by Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard as mad scientists, and ECT is seen as a tool to implant false memories rather than treat severe depression.

Keller39p1-e1480798845159.jpg

[SNIP]

The 21st Century Cures Act is being passed through the US Congress using special procedures, but this shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone. It was passed by the House in July, but never received a vote in the Senate. It is a massive $6.3 billion spending bill that overhauls the drug and medical device procedure in the US, and provides funding for the National Institutes of Health and the Food and Drug Administration. More than 1,400 lobbyists have been trying to influence the final bill, almost three for every member of Congress. More attention has been focused on this bill than any since the Affordable Care Act in 2010.

One of the many aspects of the bill is revising the procedure for approval of drugs and medical devices to reduce costs to manufacturers, and speed approval of new treatments. This is the aspect that has caught the attention of Scientology, and it has focused on a single device, called Libra from manufacturer St. Jude Medical. Labeled “Something Worse Than Shock Therapy” by CCHR, Libra is a Deep Brain Stimulant, or DBS device that uses a pacemaker-like unit in the chest to power wires that deliver a small current to “Brodmann Area 25” of the brain, thought to be associated with depression.

The device has also been used to treat the symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease with much success. Using DBS for depression is considered a promising area of research, but the Libra device has not tested well in trials.

CCHR claims, “The law calls for skipping scientifically sound safety testing of new medical devices in the guise of helping desperate cases, but it would result in harmful and potentially deadly new gadgets being rolled out for use on the general population. If passed and signed into law, ECT shock machines could become as commonly available and used as electric wheelchairs. Ready in the wings if this bill passes into law is an equally destructive medical device and procedure called ‘Deep Brain Stimulation’ (DBS) — touted as the perfect new salvation for ‘treatment-resistant depression.'”

A spokesman for bill sponsor Michigan Congressman Fred Upton (below) called Scientology’s charges “unfounded.”

AngeloV

Gold Meritorious Patron
And upon what evidence is CCHR basing its statement? Scientology is anti-science. Dianetics is not a science despite the 'modern science' declaration.

CCHR is based not on scientific studies but upon the OPINION of a known charlatan and con-man who derided 'wog' science with disdain. He had a vendetta against mental health professionals every since they dismissed him as a quack. They don't have a clue about patients with severe depression and the anguish that they experience. They are just parroting the same pseudo-scientific clap-trap of the Old Quack.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Congress is so corrupt that this bill is guaranteed to not benefit the riff-raff, except for show or where inescapable. Whose side do you think a typical congresscritter is on?

Paul

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
I never thought I'd ever write this, but I agree with scientology's standpoint on one thing. ECT. There might be people reading this who will say that this 'therapy' helped someone they know or even helped them. The whole concept of giving someone an electric shock in the hope of getting a favourable outcome seems totally outlandish to me. If I see a clip of someone getting this 'treatment' on TV coming up I can't bear to watch, it gives me the horrors just thinking about it, and as far as a remedy goes I equate it to thumping the top of an old TV set that has stopped working properly in the hope that the jarring will fix it.

Sorry, but that's how I see it.

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
What it always boils down to is scientology is forever against anything that isn't scientology.

And, yes, somewhat like the proverbial broken clock - even scientology can be right every now & again, but, - & this is a VERY BIG BUT - scientology is only "right" by accident not by intent !

On this pharma thing ? I have no clue, but, I do have learned better than to trust anything scientology pushes !

CommunicatorIC

I never thought I'd ever write this, but I agree with scientology's standpoint on one thing. ECT. There might be people reading this who will say that this 'therapy' helped someone they know or even helped them. The whole concept of giving someone an electric shock in the hope of getting a favourable outcome seems totally outlandish to me. If I see a clip of someone getting this 'treatment' on TV coming up I can't bear to watch, it gives me the horrors just thinking about it, and as far as a remedy goes I equate it to thumping the top of an old TV set that has stopped working properly in the hope that the jarring will fix it.

Sorry, but that's how I see it.
I wonder, did you see the following statement quoted in the OP?

About 100,000 people receive ECT in the US each year to treat severe depression It is effective for 75 to 90 percent of patients who receive it and should be followed up with prescription medicine that helps prevent a relapse.

Do you have any reason to doubt Rod Keller's research on this? Or the underlying data? Do you think the numbers were made up?

Do you think 75,000 to 90,000 people a year should be deprived of an "effective" treatment because you personally think it is "outlandish," can't bear to watch it on TV, and "equate it to thumping the top of an old TV set that has stopped working properly in the hope that the jarring will fix it" -- despite the above numbers?

I'm not sure I could bear to watch open heart surgery on TV -- or brain surgery to remove a tumor that would otherwise kill the patient. That doesn't mean I want open heart surgery or brain surgery to be banned.

Last edited:

CommunicatorIC

21st Century Cures Act, opposed by Scientology, passes Senate 94 to 5 after being overwhelmingly approved by House last week.

New York Times: Sweeping Health Measure, Backed by Obama, Passes Senate

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/07/us/politics/21st-century-cures-act-senate.html

Sweeping Health Measure, Backed by Obama, Passes Senate

By JENNIFER STEINHAUER and ROBERT PEAR

DEC. 7, 2016

WASHINGTON — The Senate approved complex health care legislation on Wednesday that would increase funding for disease research, address weaknesses in the nation’s mental health systems and vastly alter the regulatory system for drugs and medical devices. The vote sealed a final legislative victory for President Obama, who strongly supported the bill against objections from many liberal Democrats and consumer groups.

In many ways the bill, known as the 21st Century Cures Act, is a return to a more classic approach to legislation, with policy victories and some disappointments for both parties, and potential benefits for nearly every American whose life has been touched by illness, drug addiction and mental health issues. Years in the making, the measure passed 94 to 5 after being overwhelmingly approved by the House last week.

One major winner — and a donor to both parties — was the pharmaceutical industry; its role set off fierce but futile opposition by Senator Elizabeth Warren, Democrat of Massachusetts. On many of the areas addressed by the bill, pharmaceutical companies were in step with the interests of patients desperate for cures, an unusual and emotionally charged alliance between an industry and its consumers.