What's new

Scientology Gets a Smooch from the L.A. Times

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Very interesting article!
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2012/07/scientology_smooch_los_angeles_times.php

Scientology Gets a Smooch from the L.A. Times

By Tony Ortega Fri., Jul. 13 2012 at 7:00 AM

At the end of Lynch's story, there's an impression that Scientologists are spiritually sophisticated people who are unjustly considered "weird" by people who just can't appreciate their advanced ways of thinking.

The thing is, I've talked to hundreds of ex-Scientologists, and while many of them do praise the spiritual aspects of L. Ron Hubbard's creation, they have many real concerns that Lynch didn't bring up in the least (or, that Hamilton didn't answer and so they were left out of conversation).

Shouldn't a conversation in the Los Angeles Times at least bring up some of the disturbing abuses in Scientology that its own legendary investigative reporters helped expose to the world?

Gadfly

Crusader
"Scientologists are spiritually sophisticated people who are unjustly considered "weird" by people who just can't appreciate their advanced ways of thinking".

"Spiritually sophisticated"?

"Advanced ways of thinking"?

Oh, thank-you for clarifying that "truth". NOT!

:roflmao: :hysterical: :roflmao: :hysterical: :roflmao: :hysterical:

Yeah, the ONLY place that is at all true is in their own nutty minds - minds where 1) reality and 2) the ideas about reality are VERY different indeed.

In terms of this large separation between 1) reality with 2) ideas about reality, Scientlogists remind me of priests from the Spanish Inquisition.

These nutty priests believed in all sorts of crazy ideas - witches, demons, heretics, God's plan, purity - and they also very much imagined that they were "advanced in their understanding and thinking".

People who imagine that they are "advanced in their thinking", on some or many levels, usually are NOT. And, such people HAVE most surely cut themselves off from the rest of humanity in their attitudes of haughty superiority and condescension.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
That's hilarious.

I actually got several enquiries from the media via my allexperts account and did do a couple of interviews - but not, thankfully, with the LA Times