What's new

Scientology has a new expert on religion: Dr. Andras Mate-Toth

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Scientology has a new expert on religion: Dr. Andras Mate-Toth

From PR News Wire:

Code:
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/church-of-scientology-hamburg-marks-anniversary-by-unveiling-new-study-of-scientology-in-germany-300221072.html

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

HAMBURG, Germany, Feb. 16, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- The Church of Scientology Hamburg marked the fourth anniversary of its transformation into an Ideal Scientology Organization by releasing a study that dispels misconceptions about the religion in Germany.

attachment.php

The special presentation featured distinguished guest speaker Dr. Andras Mate-Toth, Chair of the Religion Department and Founder and Director of the Center for Applied Religious Studies at the University of Szeged in Hungary.

In the course of researching his 2003 and 2008 studies of Hungarian Scientologists, Dr. Mate-Toth visited the Church of Scientology of Frankfurt where he offered to do a similar study on German Scientologists. He then carried out his study in 2013 and 2014, with hundreds of Scientologists from throughout Germany participating in his extensive survey.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

One of Dr. Andras Mate-Toth's main research fields is new religious movements.

University of Szeged

Center for Applied Religious Studies

Andras Mate-Toth Amazon Author Page

Attachments

• Dr. Andras Mate-Toth.jpg
    Dr. Andras Mate-Toth.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 250

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
I look forward to reading the survey responses to see how many

scientologists quoted El Con's 1954? book stating that

scientology is not a religion and further clarified it in I

think an HCOPL about the religious dressing was for barristers

and accountant.
Too lazy here this morning to look up the exact references and

quote them but I think the response percentage should give us a

fairly accurate indication of the quality and depth of the

research of new expert on religion: Dr. Andras Mate-Toth

arcxcauseblows

Patron Meritorious
Fluff piece lol

You can bet this guy was compensated

His review of the subject cannot cover the real subject because they would not allow him to research the confidential materials which is where the truth is

He'd have to redo his research including wikileaks and interviews with ex members to be objective

More pseudo science...

Gib

Crusader
Fluff piece lol

You can bet this guy was compensated

His review of the subject cannot cover the real subject because they would not allow him to research the confidential materials which is where the truth is

He'd have to redo his research including wikileaks and interviews with ex members to be objective

More pseudo science...

ok, maybe they won't let him see the confidential OT materials. I say we go back.

Let's knock out the good Dr Andy, dictate several statements to him while unconscious, run Book 1 on him, and lets get back the original statements. OK, if that doesn't work, lets run him on the grades, record everything to see if he recalls any of the statements, if that don't work, lets run some NED, that ought to do it. :goodluck:

OK, we need somebody to knock him out, use anything, a two by four, knitting needles, whatever works.
Then we need somebody to dictate some statements to him, maybe HH can do that.
Then we need somebody to record and video all this, I'd elect Chris Shelton for this.
Next we need a good book 1 auditor, that's not me, anybody wish to volunteer?

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

CommunicatorIC

Tony Ortega has a follow-up on this.

When will academics acknowledge that the Scientology ‘apostate’ theory is finished?

http://tonyortega.org/2016/02/17/wh...-the-scientology-apostate-theory-is-finished/

We’re deep into reporting several cool stories coming your way, so we just had time for a quick thought for you today. We noticed over at the forums that Scientology has put out, among its flood of recent press releases, an announcement about its newest pet academic.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Yes, this is a great article by Tony.

Well, it’s time to bury this notion that we have not heard the truth about Scientology because we are only hearing from ex-members. In the last year, the Underground Bunker has brought you previously unheard recordings that shatter the notion that we are relying solely on the personal accounts of ex-members. We are sad to say that except for short portions of the Powell recordings, none of the others have been picked up or even mentioned by other media. And we certainly expect religious studies academics to ignore them.

Don’t believe the ex-members? You don’t need to. Listen for yourself and hear…
http://tonyortega.org/2016/02/17/wh...-the-scientology-apostate-theory-is-finished/

And as usual some great comments:

TheHoleDoesNotExist • 9 hours ago

Pretty simple to me. If someone is going to call themselves an academic but chooses to ignore the core fact that Scientology is a scam business operated as a cult, then whatever their intent and motivation, getting it right ain't one of them.

No one (present journalist and blog exempted) hears from an average, everyday cult member. If they heard from them, then it wouldn't be a cult. It's elementary, for cryin' out loud.
http://tonyortega.org/2016/02/17/wh...ostate-theory-is-finished/#comment-2518645622

Jeff Jacobsen • 7 hours ago

I forget the female professor's name now, but she was one of Scientology's pets. She gave a talk at Arizona State, and at the reception I confronted her. Why were ex-cult members like me some special group of people who should not be believed? Were we genetically disposed to be liars? It was one of the few times I got so angry I had to just shut up.

Imagine if our legal system went with the idea that people who leave groups are not to be believed about that group. The Mafia, for instance, could simply excuse any ex-member's testimony as hearsay or worse.
http://tonyortega.org/2016/02/17/wh...ostate-theory-is-finished/#comment-2518996427

Jefferson Hawkins • 4 hours ago

It's just another facet of Scientology's mind control/information control "technology." "Apostates are unreliable - you can only learn about Scientology from people currently in the Church." "Oh, wait, people in the Church aren't allowed to talk to the press, so you'll have to talk to one of our carefully groomed spokespeople." "Oh wait, we don't have any of those any more, so you'll have to read our prepared press statement written by Church leader David Miscavige. Only statements from Our Leader reflect the true nature of Scientology."

I had dinner with Gordon Melton when I lived in Santa Barbara, and raked him over the coals for defending Scientology and told him what really goes on behind the scenes. He told me at that time that if he printed anything negative about Scientology, he's lose his "access." The Church wouldn't talk to him any more and there would go his studies. He was desperately trying not to antagonize them so he could continue talking with them. So much for academic impartiality.
http://tonyortega.org/2016/02/17/wh...ostate-theory-is-finished/#comment-2519748959

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
So they found another shill, oh yay cult of grief and despair :woohoo: I'm not atm looking at this dude, but am wondering what kind of 'doctor' he assumes himself to be? Dunno, don't care, cult will do what cult will do.

:eyeroll:

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Tony Ortega has a follow-up on this.

When will academics acknowledge that the Scientology ‘apostate’ theory is finished?

We’re deep into reporting several cool stories coming your way, so we just had time for a quick thought for you today. We noticed over at the forums that Scientology has put out, among its flood of recent press releases, an announcement about its newest pet academic.

Excellent! Thank you CC, I don't go to the Bunker much, but its always a treat, and the comments section is usually as good a read as the initial articles, some great minds/wits over thar I are thimkin' :p

CommunicatorIC

Scientology has a new expert on religion: Gábor Daniel Nagy

Scientology has a new expert on religion: Gábor Daniel Nagy.

I found just a bit of information from Mate-Toth's surveys.

We may have also identified another expert on religion being used by the Church of Scientology: Gábor Daniel Nagy

European Interreligious Forum for Religious Freedom – EIFRF: An academic conference at the turn of a new step of research on Scientology

http://www.eifrf-articles.org/An-ac...-new-step-of-research-on-Scientology_a87.html

Written the Monday, February 24th 2014 à 15:47
EIFRF

Written and posted in Mouvements religieux et spirituels by Jean-Francois Mayer
February 6, 2014

Translation by EIFRF of an original text by JF Mayer

Original Source on Orbis.info, in French

A few other items on the profile of the Scientologists have been offered by a communication by Andras Mate-Toth and Gábor Daniel Nagy (University of Szeged, Hungary), as part of a comparative research in Hungary and Germany. According to the results of their survey, the average age of active Scientologists would be about 50 in Germany and a little less than 40 in Hungary, where the movement set foot later; in Germany, the majority of the members who answered the survey entered in the movement in the 1980s, while the majority of their Hungarian co-religionists joined it in the 1990s.

CommunicatorIC

Research Gate: András Máté-Tóth

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Andras_Mate-Toth/info

András Máté-Tóth
University of Szeged, Szeged
PhD, PhD, Habil. 0.05

RESEARCH EXPERIENCE

Oct 2009 – Mar 2011
Alternative Religion: Scientology in Hungary today
University of Szeged · Study on Religions · with Gábor Dániel Nagy
Hungary · Szeged
Multimethodological research on the organisation Scientology in Hungary. Content analysis of 500 news paper articles, survey on 500 members of Scientology, semi structured focused interviews with 25 long time members and with 12 former members.

[SNIP]

Jan 2003 – Dec 2005
Vallás és Kultúra (Religion and Culture)
University of Szeged · Study on Religions · Colleagues from the Faculty of Arts
Hungary · Szeged
Survey by different religious groups to find new types of religiosity: Buddhist groups, Jehova Withnes, Scientology, New Catholic Movement.

CommunicatorIC

Mike Rinder now has post on this.

It’s What They Don’t Say…

http://www.mikerindersblog.org/its-what-they-dont-say/

There is no link to the report from Dr. Mate-Toth. One would think that if they got some sort of favorable report and they are paying for a press release about it, that they would include some information?

Was the paid-for report really that terrible?

Likely so. Germany (and Europe in general) is not prominent on the scientology radar screen. You see NO mention of the “ideal org” program happening at all in Germany other than “re-opening” of the Hamburg Org. That building had nothing to do with the ideal org program — it was purchased because of the criminality entangling the former Hamburg org property – circumstance that ultimately resulted in the ED Hamburg (Wiebke Hansen) being shipped to Int where she was made to join the Sea Org and became a sets painter in Cine Gold where she remains to this day. There was an ideal org in Berlin paid for by the IAS, but they cannot afford to keep their elevators operating or phones turned on. The rest of Germany, including the once relatively large orgs of Munich and Frankfurt are disappearing faster than ice cubes on the sands of the Sahara. The other ideal orgs in Europe are all in bad shape too — Madrid is empty, Brussels is not just empty but is in the midst of a massive fraud case and nobody even knows if the “ideal” org in the industrial estate in Malmo and the one in Basel even open their doors any more they are so off the radar. Nothing happening on ideal orgs at all in France (it’s ALL bad news there), Austria (is there even an org in Vienna these days), Portugal (same question about Lisbon), Greece (same question about Athens) and Holland has a raft of tax problems. Norway and Finland are never heard from. Denmark is still not done even when they combined two orgs to make it happen (and Arhuus might as well be stricken from the list of “orgs” too). Hungary is struggling still to get an ideal org, even though Budapest was supposedly a SH Size org. All the other countries in Europe have no orgs at all.

[SNIP]

Screenshot-68.png