What's new

Scientology is Not the Only Cult That Hates Psychology

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
I consider most Fundamentalist Christian sects to either be cults, or exhibit so much cult-like behavior that it makes no practical difference.

Just saw this on the Slacktivist, which then led me to this piece:

I’ve talked about “nouthetic” or “biblical” counseling before, and I believe that PCC is on the extreme end of the spectrum as far as their views on “biblical counseling.” While I was a student there, the only textbook required for the class Educational Psychology was Why Christians Can’t Trust Psychology, and everything I learned about the “pseudoscience of psychology” while a student there was that it is evil, corrupt, humanistic, and anti-God. Given that this was their attitude (at least, in 2009, but I don’t think much has changed), I find it extremely unlikely that their counselors are “equipped” to “assist students” with any form of abuse, much less sexual abuse.

That post, in turn, led me to this one:

“I heard you were getting married– how are the wedding plans going?”

I went blank. It was an innocent enough question, but the answer . . . I didn’t want to talk about this. “We, uh– we’re not getting married anymore.”

“Oh.” She seemed genuinely surprised, so at least not all of my personal life had managed to make it through the Student Life rounds. “What happened?”

I closed my eyes. “Uhm . . .” Don’t think about it. Don’t go there. Just don’t. “It– it just didn’t work out.”

Her voice dropped, became even more gentle. “Was there sexual sin, Samantha?”

It didn’t even occur to me that this was an unusual and invasive question. I didn’t have the tools to sense that she had just made a huge leap forward in the conversation– but the leap had been fueled by an assumption that I was more than familiar with: the assumption that physicality in a relationship always leads to its downfall.

I didn’t even know how to begin to answer this question. If I said “yes,” then that would put me on the road to getting kicked out. I wanted to tell the truth to someone– I wanted to explain what had happened and have someone tell me that it was going to be ok, that I could come back. That maybe, maybe, what had happened to me hadn’t been my fault. My mind was skittering all over the place– for a millisecond I could feel old carpet scraping against my back, then I could feel a flash of pain from my head being slammed against a car door, then fluorescent lights glaring down at me, my neck twisting as I was thrown on a bed . . . I swallowed down the rising bile.

Doesn't that sound like a sec check to you? I does to me.

But the kicker comparison to the Co$ is actually in the comments:

And yeah… free time? What in the world is free time? They told us pretty much from the get-go that the internship would be one of the hardest things we’d ever had to do– and that to basically give up on doing anything else except the internship while we were in the midst of it. It was rough– but not that far removed from what most Christian school teachers do every day anyway. My best friend teaches at a Christian school in NC, and she works 14 hour days, minimum– and spends at least 10 hours on the weekend.

Sea Org, anyone?

Fuck, I hate Fundamentalists.

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
Oh fuck, there's more:

One afternoon she was visiting with my mom while I entertained the kids in the living room, and I overheard snatches of their conversation. It was the first time I’d ever heard the term bi-polar, and I had no idea what it meant. From context, I understood it to be some sort of mental . . . thing. I didn’t have the vocabulary to talk about things like disability or illness. She had gone to the leader of our cult about her struggles, and he had told her to go off her medication. I remember that she started to cry at this point, telling my mom that she had gone off her medication, but it had made everything so much harder. She didn’t know how to cope, and she wanted to go back on her meds– she asked my mom what she should do. She was confused, distraught– she wanted to do the “right thing,” but she didn’t really think that her bi-polar disorder was sin in her life she hadn’t dealt with. She’d been divorced and re-married– was God punishing her for that?

My mom has never been one for giving advice– she listens, and tries to empower people to make their own decisions. It’s one of the most beautiful things about my mother, that she never gave in to the culture of elder women “teaching” the younger– in reality, giving younger women a legalistic, formulaic list. She listened to Laura, and eventually Laura decided to go back on her meds– for her own sanity.

Laura did go back on her meds. Somehow, the leader of our cult found out about it, and within a matter of weeks Laura and her family were gone.

And a book for your reading list.

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
Aaaaaand, we have the PTS doctrine.

The second thing that she told me . . . it was a bucket of ice-cold water in my face. I was a “poisonous well,” and starting a relationship with Handsome would be to his detriment. If we were in a relationship, and I was still “ensnared by my past,” I would “pull him away” from following God, that I would damage our new relationship to the point where we couldn’t recover from it.

Fuck 'em. Fuck 'em all.

Lunatics.

I consider most Fundamentalist Christian sects to either be cults, or exhibit so much cult-like behavior that it makes no practical difference.

Just saw this on the Slacktivist, which then led me to this piece:

That post, in turn, led me to this one:

Doesn't that sound like a sec check to you? I does to me.

But the kicker comparison to the Co$ is actually in the comments:

Sea Org, anyone?

Fuck, I hate Fundamentalists.

well...

i'm a christian fundamentalist myself

but like i always say...

if you take the fun out of fundamentalism what's left is dementalism...

SCN dislikes hypnosis and psychology, but uses hypnosis and psychology.

auditors who are auditors do NOT use hypnosis...

whether or not it's being used in CoS, i don't know. i do know someone has used hypnosis on me and also on the mother of my sons. maybe this was done by GO personnel. maybe not

whatever...

hypnosis is verboten for honest students and practitioners of the subject

Aaaaaand, we have the PTS doctrine.

Fuck 'em. Fuck 'em all.

Lunatics.

is scientology a weird quasi-religious UFO sex cult?

of course it is

is the RCC a weird quasi-religious UFO sex cult?

of course it is

have the bipeds infesting this orb ever organized a religion without turning it into a weird quasi-religious UFO sex cult?

no

but ron was a true genius. he made CoS a weird quasi-religious UFO sex cult to begin with so it's apostates could make a real religion out of it...