What's new

Scientology: It's All About The BIG Goals

Gadfly

Crusader
I was looking through my list of favorite quotes yesterday and I came across these:

"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self." - Aldous Huxley

"Be the change you want to see in the world." - Ghandi

Reading these got me thinking about a MAJOR flaw with Scientology.

It concentrates on HUGE GOALS, while often failing to be able to realize much smaller goals.

Hubbard talks on and on about HUGE over-generalized and vague goals such as:

Clearing the planet.

First, what does it even actually MEAN to "clear a planet". Ask 10 different Scientologists to HONESTLY describe what this means, and they will give different answers. It doesn't really MEAN anything outside of their heads. But also, it is a SLOGAN that elicits an emotional response. THAT is the true value in a mind control cult for these HUGE GOALS (which function as slogans). One needs to study the use of slogans in PR and in controlling masses of people - much has been written on the subject.

Second, the methods ("tech") of Scientology are unable to produce one "clear" person that agrees with Hubbard's various statements on what a "clear" is. So, on the smallest scale, on the individual scale, Scientology cannot even "clear" one person. So, how in the hell is it going to "clear an entire planet"? Well, it is not. Yet various people think and talk about such nonsense.

The Church of Scientology PR machinery pushes this button constantly - CLEAR THE PLANET. Regges pound on that button when they work to extract money from the Scientology members. The repetitious slogan is tossed around at Scientology events.

The TRUTH is that the ONLY thing you REALLY can change anywhere in this whole universe is yourself. Trying to change OTHERS and "make a better world", while you yourself remain an imbecile is absurd. THAT is the nature of Scientology.

These people are off chasing some vague abstract dream, trying to bring the world into alignment with some hazy crazy vision that resonates with Hubbard's over-generalized statements. And, they cannot even realize the much SMALLER aspects of the ideal on a personal or local level.

There are other similar HUGE goals that involve IDEAS that have little to do with reality:

Scientology is creating a new civilization.

Scientology is making a sane world.

Scientology is solving the planet's failure at education.

Hubbard gets his followers to respond to the HUGE GOALS. These goals are so vague as to connect to almost nothing related to REAL life.

Also, and this is key, until one can actually become better and decent on his or her own smaller level, I see it as useless to go out and try to get others to do the same in some emotional war cry of FREEDOM.

Hubbard knew what he was doing when he delineated such VAGUE and GENERAL goals, because they can mean anything to anybody. The individual fills in the details to Hubbard's general statements by DUBBING IN. Hubbard explained the nature of DUB-IN well, and also, as with so many other aspects of Scientology, he used it AGAINST his followers, getting them to dub-in tremendous amounts of detail to his very vague ideas.

The Church of Scientology gets its members chanting in unison about "making it to OT". This is another vague IDEA, that has no actual existence. Each member attaches his or her own personal ideas about what it MEANS to "be an OT", based on Hubbard's often vague statements about such things. Hubbard managed to get all of these people trying to make an "OT World", yet they cannot even make one actual REAL OT on the smaller personal level.

This involves tricking a person into being concerned with the 4th dynamic (abstract IDEA) while ignoring the 1st dynamic (details and specifics). All concern and attention floats up to the clouds of vague abstractions (concepts, ideas, ideals). And largely ignores the details and specifics of ACTUAL REALITY linked to honest observations.

Hubbard studied his General Semantics well, and he also used THAT against his followers. Korzybski encourages people to obsreve and link ideas to specifics and the observable details of reality. But Hubbard used it in the opposite direction. He tricked people into latching onto VAGUE GENERAL IDEAS while abandoning and ignoring honest observations of specifics and details.

This is not unique to Scientology, and it is common for ideologically-driven groups to push the "big abstract goals". This is effective because it allows the individual to relate by dubbing in ones own personal ideas about such things, and also enables a personal EMOTIONAL reaction. The emotional response is KEY to any system of control and entrapment. The phony hyped contrived "enthusiasm" so often visible in the dedicated Scientologist is a manifestation of this "emotional response".

Getting lost in HUGE GOALS causes one to get lost in his or her MIND. It causes one to wallow in the realm THOUGHT (significance).

Simply:

Thought = significance, meaning, ideas, general, vague, conceptual, abstract

Observation = mass, behavior, action, specifics, detailed, tangible

Last edited:

Etrawl

Patron
Re: Scientology: All About BIG Goals

"To clear the planet" means to take a gigantic vacuum-cleaner and do a super-carpet cleaning. This definition makes sense to me, the other definitions do not.

Idle Morgue

Gold Meritorious Patron
It means: clearing the planet of life and living, whilst draining bank accounts w/o anyone realizing it!

Smilla

Ordinary Human
All those big Scientology slogans don't actually mean anything. They are just thought - stopping cliches, of the sort used by all totalitarian regimes. In fact, if they did mean anything, they wouldn't be useful.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Good stuff. Don't forget that

5. The technical and ethical experiment in progress by Sector Commander Elron Elray is not to be interfered with in any way whatsoever as it is extremely vital to the future of the Galaxy and its inhabitants.

Excerpted from Sector Operations Bulletin No. 3, issued
"By order of the Grand Council
Galactic Central
Mship relay by order of
Sector Commander
Elron Elray"​

(From http://0-48.ru/sector_9_by_Astar.html)

-----

I know it's not a direct Hubbard quote but it's more interesting than his banal stuff on salvaging this sector of the galaxy.

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
Good stuff as usual, Gadfly. You ought to take all your posts and make a book - call it "A Reasoned Critique of Scientology". :clap:

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Really cool post Gadfly.

There is Scientology, always misdirecting people away from what they are supposed to be looking at, while lecturing them on obnosis.

We need to Clear the planet (never mind that you although you attested, you really aren't a Clear and you've never met anyone who is Clear and we, the Church of Scientology, have no interest in showing you a Clear).

Everything I believe about Scientology is consistent with your post. Scientology is in the business of selling WORDS. Words that stimulate people to imagine something good.

Scientology, at its best, is Jingles.

They're catchy.

Like fly paper or mouse traps.

Gadfly

Crusader

Everything I believe about Scientology is consistent with your post. Scientology is in the business of selling WORDS. Words that stimulate people to imagine something good.

Scientology, at its best, is Jingles.

They're catchy.

Like fly paper or mouse traps.

I love how you describe that. :thumbsup:

The word "jingles" is just so horribly appropriate to what goes on in Scientology.

Little cute catchy phrases that excite the imagination and capture the emotions.

Hubbard's PR Series and Marketing Series policies are all about doing surveys to FIND what exact catchy phrases exist deeply within the minds of people, and to then SPIT THEM RIGHT BACK (because they "read" like a listing item) pretending that YOU originated the idea in the first place!

Find what is desired, find the buttons, find the triggers, ansd then PUSH THE BUTONS HARD (and often, and repeatedly).

It isn't primary words though that are sold - it is IDEAS. The words simply trigger the IDEAS. If various manipulators could trigger the IDEAS without the use of words, telepathically or via "theta universe intention", believe me they would do so. But they can't, so they rely on words, the comm formula and that insidious ARC Formula to breathe life into these nutty notions.

Gadfly

Crusader
Good stuff as usual, Gadfly. You ought to take all your posts and make a book - call it "A Reasoned Critique of Scientology". :clap:

:thankyou:

I have thought about it, but I lack a certain "discipline" and "determination" to undertake such a task. My interests wax and wane. At times, I take (too much) time to smell the roses - often without any great concern for getting anywhere, acheiving anything, or getting anything "done", other that what MUST be done to meet basic minimal economic requirements. ADHD? I have been told that Scientology could HANDLE THAT personal weakness and flaw! :confused2: :unsure: :eyeroll:

Mmmm? I would have to check first with Mr. Kant's disembodied thetan to ensure that I would not be guilty of plagiarizing HIS famous book with a similiar title
:biggrin: :lol:

Lone Star

Crusader
I was looking through my list of favorite quotes yesterday and I came across these:

"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self."
- Aldous Huxley

"Be the change you want to see in the world." - Ghandi

Reading these got me thinking about a MAJOR flaw with Scientology.....

Based on my observation and experience Scientology utterly fails in helping individuals to change for the better. I wish I can go into more detail about an OT8 that I know who is most likely now certifiably insane. I'm still connected to him and for the time being have to remain connected, so that's why I can't give details.

I will say that there are periods of time in which he totally loses it. I'm talking about psychotic breaks. Not bad enough yet to have an intervention, or to be handled by law enforcement. I wouldn't be surprised however if that will happen one day. I believe very firmly that OT7 fucked him up the most. What a hellish period of about 8 years that was! Most of the best qualities he did have were eradicated by OT7 processing. But he somehow got through the level and did OT8 and now he's a nut. Sure, he's still able to function for the most part, but as time moves on I think he'll lose that functionality. It seems inevitable.

What I've noticed in him and a handful of other OT8s I know and have known is the coldness. The disregard for other people's well being. The lack of tact and empathy. Of course it's no coincidence that Tom Cruise's extreme nuttiness has been during the period in which he has been on OT7, largely over the past decade.

So yes, it's all about the BIG goals, but the goal of improving oneself is impossible going up the Bridge to Total Insanity, therefore the BIG goals are impossible.

As Jason Beghe said, "Show me a MOTHERFUCKING CLEAR!"

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
:thankyou:

I have thought about it, but I lack a certain "discipline" and "determination" to undertake such a task. My interests wax and wane. At times, I take (too much) time to smell the roses - often without any great concern for getting anywhere, acheiving anything, or getting anything "done", other that what MUST be done to meet basic minimal economic requirements. ADHD? I have been told that Scientology could HANDLE THAT personal weakness and flaw! :confused2: :unsure: :eyeroll:

Mmmm? I would have to check first with Mr. Kant's disembodied thetan to ensure that I would not be guilty of plagiarizing HIS famous book with a similiar title
:biggrin: :lol:

Well, with 6,280 posts, you've certainly got all the material done already! Yeah, I know, putting it into a format that flows, that's the hard part. Sounds too much like work, and who wants THAT? lol! I would volunteer for that job if I didn't have to work for a living, darn!
:wink2:

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
Based on my observation and experience Scientology utterly fails in helping individuals to change for the better. I wish I can go into more detail about an OT8 that I know who is most likely now certifiably insane. I'm still connected to him and for the time being have to remain connected, so that's why I can't give details.

I will say that there are periods of time in which he totally loses it. I'm talking about psychotic breaks. Not bad enough yet to have an intervention, or to be handled by law enforcement. I wouldn't be surprised however if that will happen one day. I believe very firmly that OT7 fucked him up the most. What a hellish period of about 8 years that was! Most of the best qualities he did have were eradicated by OT7 processing. But he somehow got through the level and did OT8 and now he's a nut. Sure, he's still able to function for the most part, but as time moves on I think he'll lose that functionality. It seems inevitable.

What I've noticed in him and a handful of other OT8s I know and have known is the coldness. The disregard for other people's well being. The lack of tact and empathy. Of course it's no coincidence that Tom Cruise's extreme nuttiness has been during the period in which he has been on OT7, largely over the past decade.

So yes, it's all about the BIG goals, but the goal of improving oneself is impossible going up the Bridge to Total Insanity, therefore the BIG goals are impossible.

Several years ago I watched an OT VIII descend into madness as well. Not a pretty sight, and something churchies don't want to hear about because "it's entheta". They'd rather going on hoping and believing that the dream is real. Reality is too distasteful.

Gadfly

Crusader

As I see it, what happens is this.

As a person is getting auditing, which often makes one "feel good" while jumping in and out of a state of "emptiness" (lack of beingness, blank slate serenity, etc.)., one is ALSO very much assimilating, adopting and learning to strongly agree and think with an entire NEW SET of (arbitrary) values, ideas, beliefs and considerations.

These various Scientology-defined values, ideas, beliefs and considerations slip by your conscious mind quite unnoticed. Hubbard was a genius in this regard. Without the empty hypnotic state that is realized during key-outs and exteriorization, which can have a value within a DIFFERENT context of understanding, I doubt that the Scientology ideas would slip in so easily.

Ideas implant better when a mind is blank and empty. A PC's mind right after a major key-out or blow-out is like a VACUUM (and Nature Abhors a Vacuum). The auditing acts to create these always occurring repetetive states of "nothingness", which act to SUCK IN whatever new ideas happen to be floating around (which in this case are ALWAYS Scientology ideas).

See, to me, if one simply audited, within an entirely different context, and learned to appreciate and create this "empty mind state" at will, that would be fine. But, such an empty mind is prone to being tricked into absorbing NEW considerations and significances. Hubbarrd's slick indoctrination methods take GREAT ADVANTAGE of THAT.

I suspect that Hubbard knew exactly what he was doing. And it ain't pretty folks. :no:

Gadfly

Crusader
Well, with 6,280 posts, you've certainly got all the material done already! Yeah, I know, putting it into a format that flows, that's the hard part. Sounds too much like work, and who wants THAT? lol! I would volunteer for that job if I didn't have to work for a living, darn!
:wink2:

Yeah, I HATE "work". As Hubbard says, people who don't want to "work" have "out-exchange" and are SPs! :biggrin:

Also, that isn't considering the EDITING that I would want done (which I would have to do myself).

Or, the many essays and notes that I have written up over the years that are laying around in my computer.

Or, the various ideas I have sort of entertained, or half-worked out in my head, while cutting the grass, walking in the woods, or driving into town. :confused2:

Maybe someday. :confused2:

AND, don't forget that many of those posts are FLUFF! Ya know, posts with photo-shooped pictures of Hubbard or Music Videos! :lol:

Granted, for example, I would LOVE to take the time to re-read basic books by Korzybski, which is no small rask in itself (Science & Sanity), and REALLY explain in great detail how Hubbard altered and misused the ideas of General Semantics (many of which I greatly like and use constantly).

Student of Trinity

Silver Meritorious Patron
I see the Big Goals thing as being expressed in the 'eight dynamics' idea. It poses as this brilliant extension of all previous morality, but all it really amounts to is diluting the moral weight of the only categories that really mean anything, with more categories of stuff that are so large as to be meaningless. Only the first two "dynamics" actually mean anything: yourself, and the other individual people you can actually affect.

It would have been enough for Hubbard to have stopped at five dynamics. Three extra bogus ones that could mean whatever he wanted would still have let him outweigh the two real ones, and justify anything in the name of the 'greatest number of dynamics'. Or he could have made up twelve dynamics, or twelve hundred. Like bad checks, the number doesn't matter, except that a middling sort of number can somehow make the fraud less obvious. So Hubbard picked six.

Demented LRH

Patron Meritorious
I love how you describe that. :thumbsup:

The word "jingles" is just so horribly appropriate to what goes on in Scientology.

Little cute catchy phrases that excite the imagination and capture the emotions.

Hubbard's PR Series and Marketing Series policies are all about doing surveys to FIND what exact catchy phrases exist deeply within the minds of people, and to then SPIT THEM RIGHT BACK (because they "read" like a listing item) pretending that YOU originated the idea in the first place!
He tried to find those catchy phrases but failed because of his poor knowledge of the math -- mathematical statistics methods are needed to separate them from the background noise. Hubbard was no mathematician.

Gadfly

Crusader
He tried to find those catchy phrases but failed because of his poor knowledge of the math -- mathematical statistics methods are needed to separate them from the background noise. Hubbard was no mathematician.

Huh?

Manipulators, both political and religious, since time immemorial, have been capturing the hearts and minds of the masses by the use of catchy slogans.

Mathematical statistical methods necessary? :no:

Please, read up on the long historical use of slogans, especially those that elicit emotional responses, to control the masses.

And, by the way, Hubbard figured out how to successfully control a certain small segment of the population (much to the profit of himself and others). Slogans were and are a key part of that. A good understanding of math was not and is not necessary.

The Catholic Church did a pretty darned good job not so many hundreds of years ago. It is about psychology - what makes people tick, and what motivates them to BEHAVE as desired (either as slaves, consumers, party members, good citizens, etc.).

Gadfly

Crusader
Only the first two "dynamics" actually mean anything: yourself, and the other individual people you can actually affect.

I was flipping through a book today, Dumbing Us Down, by John Taylor Gatto, and he said something that resonated with what you said above:

"By allowing the imposition of direction from centers far beyond our control, we have time and again missed the lesson of the Congregational principle: people are less than whole unless they gather themselves voluntarily into groups of souls in harmony. Gathering themselves to pursue individual, family, and community dreams consistent with their private humanity is what makes them whole; only slaves are gathered by others.

And these dreams must be written locally because to exercise any larger ambition without such a base is to lose touch with the things which give life meaning: self, family, friends, work, and intimate community."

What is funny is that the Scientologist would falsely imagine and believe thet THEY do what is described above. Of course, what they fail to notice, and miss entirely, is that they are "allowing the imposition of direction from centers far beyond our control".

The dreams are NOT "written locally", but are centrally-determined, and come rushing down the Scientology Command Channels.

The concept of "voluntary" is entirely absent in the philosophy of Scientology. All such ideas quickly disappear if one wants to diverge or sway from Scientology as the ONLY way to give life meaning - for self, family, friends, work, and intimate community. The basic concepts in Scientology are control, 8C and Tone 40 - as the tools to coerce and manipulate "involvement". As Hubbard saw it and explained, common people (all non-Scientologists) are simply "reactive robot machinery, who have NO ability to act sensibly, responsibly or sanely, and who MUST BE CONTROLLED for their own good".

And, of course, involvement with Scientology SQUASHES and ERASES any true widespread sense of humanity.

Yep, as John says, "only slaves are gathered by others". With Scientology, Hubbard and the organized Scientology machinery do the "gathering".

Last edited:

Boson Wog Stark

Patron Meritorious
Ideas implant better when a mind is blank and empty. A PC's mind right after a major key-out or blow-out is like a VACUUM (and Nature Abhors a Vacuum). The auditing acts to create these always occurring repetetive states of "nothingness", which act to SUCK IN whatever new ideas happen to be floating around (which in this case are ALWAYS Scientology ideas).

This is probably why actors relate to Scientology well and find it hard to leave. They see themselves as empty vessels in which to pour a character. Tom Cruise finds it natural to pour in his Scientology character -- a planet saving crusader for justice, ending drug use, war, etc.

For him, it is more real than a movie, because it's for eternity, and no one shouts, "Cut, it's a wrap."

The first time I heard "clear the planet" I thought it was unbelievably fascist sounding. Of course, as I read up on it, I now take it to mean making every person, or at least a vast majority, a Scientologist. That's where the grandiosity gets ridiculous when Cruise can't clear a wife. It's what you wrote, that you can change yourself but not others, and when the change involves pretending you're "clear," well these days, it's just getting silly.

Somehow Scientologists are led to believe that because they were changed by Scientology, the way to change others is to lead them into Scientology too. This simply does not work in practice because of a whole variety of factors Scientologists ignore. And, they are stuck on feelings -- being special, having secrets, being on the verge of super powers, having such good intentions, wanting to trust Hubbard, belonging to a group that can transform the planet.

In the past, Scientologists did not have much of a problem fantasizing about these unrealistic goals, because the people they recruited were as vulnerable and uninformed as themselves. I think that's changing.

That brings up the Super Power building and its significance. Before, "clear the planet" and "super powers" were mostly inside things. They were almost like all the legendary movies Hubbard made. The Super Power building is an architectural manifestation of the lunacy and secrets. They may as well have called it the Looney Tunes Building.:whistling:

It's a monument to Hubbard's brain farts.

Gadfly

Crusader
That brings up the Super Power building and its significance. Before, "clear the planet" and "super powers" were mostly inside things. They were almost like all the legendary movies Hubbard made. The Super Power building is an architectural manifestation of the lunacy and secrets. They may as well have called it the Looney Tunes Building.:whistling:

It's a monument to Hubbard's brain farts.

It is "super-power" and not "super-powers".

Power = strength, ability to hold a position without caving-in, ability to control others, etc.

"Super-powers" involves what Superman has - ability to jump tall buildings, x-ray vision, super-strength, hearing at great distances, etc. Telepathy and the ability to make objects appear and disappear (without trickery and through mind alone) would be considered "super-powers".

Granted, if anyone reads about what is going to actually GO ON inside the Super-Power building, it is still pretty ridiculous. :yes:

And of course, the mindless Scientology followers believe it will FINALLY BLOW THE LID OFF OF HANDLING THE PLANET!

:hysterical:

They are such buuuuuuuuuuuuuufoons and dooooooooooooooofuses!