What's new

Scientology leader’s father signs a book deal, for ' RUTHLESS' (IF HE DIES, HE DIES)

Gib

Crusader
Re: Scientology leader’s father signs a book deal, for ' RUTHLESS' (IF HE DIES, HE DI

I am sorry, I cannot remember the exact check sheet that it belonged on, possibly Exec Status 2 or 3. I am quite sure that DM has since had it deleted from the Exec Statuses, for obvious reasons. It was there in 2001 when I did ES3.

Not sure if that helps much, but it was there alright - the checksheet also included 'The Art of War', the go-to volume for European military strategists since medieval times, attributed Sun Tzu. I actually loved that little tome.

I did Exec Status 1 and 2 at an org, never 3. Don't recall it, so maybe 3 which would be for SO. :confused2:

johnAnchovie

Still raging
Re: Scientology leader’s father signs a book deal, for ' RUTHLESS' (IF HE DIES, HE DI

I thought John's review was excellent.

I did read Jenna's book and while I do like what she did with exscnkids I was not at all impressed by the book as i was kind of disappointed at how little Jenna really saw - even in retrospect.. I will not buy Ron snrs book .

The only books I kind of enjoyed were John's, Nancy Many's and BFG and that's because I enjoy hearing stories of people I KNOW what a creep Miscavige is, I know what twits people who work at Int are - but I like people who can just write honestly about what they went through, laugh at themselves and at others and maybe not take themselves so seriously.

For me - I love talking with other people who were in - but what I like talking about are the funny times, the weird times, the individuals who we knew.

I thought my little ditty might give you a giggle, Mick. Old Ron is just not a likable chap. Poor old Dan Koon was bent right of shape, shocked that I would have the temerity to criticize Dave's old man.

Gib

Crusader

I thought John's review was excellent.

I did read Jenna's book and while I do like what she did with exscnkids I was not at all impressed by the book as i was kind of disappointed at how little Jenna really saw - even in retrospect.. I will not buy Ron snrs book .

The only books I kind of enjoyed were John's, Nancy Many's and BFG and that's because I enjoy hearing stories of people I KNOW what a creep Miscavige is, I know what twits people who work at Int are - but I like people who can just write honestly about what they went through, laugh at themselves and at others and maybe not take themselves so seriously.

For me - I love talking with other people who were in - but what I like talking about are the funny times, the weird times, the individuals who we knew.

That's why I really like the Heinlein letters between Hubbard & Heinlein and between Heinlein & Campbell, those letters really expose the friendship between them all when they were just writers of sci fi exciting stories to make money to survive and make it big time in writing and excite a crowd of readers. All, at the time knew Hubbard, when he released dianetics in 1950 thru John Campbell mag Astounding Science Fiction. Campbell fell for it and later wanted proof. Heinlein was always skeptical during that time, and wanted proof although he remained a friend.

How history repeats itself with Ron Sr book.

Campbell and Heinlein during the release of Dianetics were peers. And that says something to realize, in reading those old correspondence. Somehow Campbell and Heinlein never bowed to Ron, because they were all peers and found the truth, no "clear".

Last edited:

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!

It worth taking few minutes to read John's review.

Brilliant, honnest and spot on!! :thumbsup:

you are the only one who point the absence of any mention (concern) of Jenna who was his grand-daughter , a small kid, used as a slave....at the prison compound....:unsure:

thank you!

Free to shine

Shiny & Free

Dan Koon responds to a letter written by his ex wife about 'the book he had written'.

Dan Koon responds to the letter his ex-wife sent to ABC 20/20. A copy of her letter is below with Dan’s commentary in red. Because of my familiarity with some of the matters raised in her letter, I have added my own comments which are in blue italics.
(Mike Rinder)

Here's an example

Sadly, my former wife does not know the function of a ghostwriter. My job was not to claim anything but to help Ron tell HIS story. This reflects rather badly on Sue because for the longest time we both worked in LRH’s compilations unit where our job was to compile bulletins, policies, courses and other writings ostensibly FOR L. Ron Hubbard and which were to stand over his signature until the planet was clear. To enter in our own ideas was anathema in that unit. The bottom line is I did not make ANY claims in the book. Now poor Capt. Miscavige is going to have to go back through everything Sue compiled over many years including the Key To Life Course and Life Orientation Course and ensure that Sue did not enter any curves into those “LRH” works.

http://www.mikerindersblog.org/dan-koon-responds/

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Dan Koon, co-author of Ruthless, responds to Scientology and Susan J. Goodban

Dan Koon, co-author of Ruthless, responds to Scientology and Susan J. Goodban.

The response is lengthy and substantive. I'll excerpt only a very small part below.

Mike Rinder: Dan Koon Responds

* * * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

I don’t ever recall claiming that the church broke up our marriage. Since I never even thought it to myself, I doubt I ever said it. As for my illicit affair with Mariette, Sue should know that Mariette did not leave “a couple of weeks later” because by then both she and Mariette were in The Hole, and in fact sleeping on the floor in the same office together. The fact is that Mariette and Sue became friends in The Hole and when Mariette began acting crazy to get herself sent down to the RPF in PAC so she could blow more easily, Sue was the only one who saw through Mariette’s ruse and told her, “You’re not that crazy.” Nevertheless, Mariette did manage to be sent to the PAC RPF and blow on March 31 2004 more than three months after I escaped and our “illicit affair” did not begin until then. I am on the record stating that the church did not break up my marriage to Sue. That doesn’t mean that it doesn’t break up lots of marriages, though.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!

Each time I come upon a public dirty laundry load of a couple\family..it soon comes out they are $cientologists!

Why do they think the whole world is interested in smelling their dirty laundry ????????

:duh:

Re: Dan Koon, co-author of Ruthless, responds to Scientology and Susan J. Goodban

Dan Koon, co-author of Ruthless, responds to Scientology and Susan J. Goodban.

The response is lengthy and substantive. I'll excerpt only a very small part below.

Mike Rinder: Dan Koon Responds

* * * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

I don’t ever recall claiming that the church broke up our marriage. Since I never even thought it to myself, I doubt I ever said it. As for my illicit affair with Mariette, Sue should know that Mariette did not leave “a couple of weeks later” because by then both she and Mariette were in The Hole, and in fact sleeping on the floor in the same office together. The fact is that Mariette and Sue became friends in The Hole and when Mariette began acting crazy to get herself sent down to the RPF in PAC so she could blow more easily, Sue was the only one who saw through Mariette’s ruse and told her, “You’re not that crazy.” Nevertheless, Mariette did manage to be sent to the PAC RPF and blow on March 31 2004 more than three months after I escaped and our “illicit affair” did not begin until then. I am on the record stating that the church did not break up my marriage to Sue. That doesn’t mean that it doesn’t break up lots of marriages, though.

Oh my. Did someone fail a starrate on the PR series PL on not using a lie? Nah. Policy smolicy. Can't you just hear David "correcting" her first 10 drafts of that letter? "No Sue, it wasn't that way, now was it?" "Yes Sir, my memory was a little faulty... Yeah - I remember now, you, Sir, weren't at that meeting. I'll correct that..."

Mimsey

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)

I thought my little ditty might give you a giggle, Mick. Old Ron is just not a likable chap. Poor old Dan Koon was bent right of shape, shocked that I would have the temerity to criticize Dave's old man.

Well I never met the guy and the fact that he tolerated the behavior of that odious little runt merely because he was not targeted tells me that his powers of observation are not exactly top notch. Well Koon has been sucking up Kool Aid for so long maybe it is just reflex now? Have to remember that to get to Int you have to believe every fairy tale, believe every ounce of bullshit and never disagree. Not the resume of some hard hitting investigative person...

JustSheila

Crusader

What struck me about Sue's letter to Dan Koon, her ex-husband, was there was a good dose of love throughout. Her 'ghostwriter,' David Miscaviage, certainly added or edited it substantially. Clearly there were two writers.

Where Sue may have experienced some cognitive dissonance, David Miscaviage was right there with the convenient lie. Where Sue may have viewed her staff experiences in a more balanced way, DM was there to bring up all his wonderfulness, despite her sleeping on the floor of the RPF and other abuses which would make up the majority of her pathetic life in the Sea Org.

I nearly choked when I read she felt Dan and others were 'jealous' of their lives. :spitcoffee: Wow, that never occurred to me once in the many years I've been out! TOO funny! :hysterical: Trapped in someone else's delusion, living to serve that person as a slave, without the time, money or choices available that are the privilege and rights of everyone living in a free society, subject to that person's temper tantrums, demands and whims, cut from your family, no time or facility to raise your children. :wow:

The poorest families I've ever known, just scraping by wouldn't trade their intact family lives, love and happiness for scientology slavery. No way.

Sue also showed in her words how Dan Koon became so incredibly indoctrinated. It's a miracle he got out at all.

A shame he couldn't/didn't bring Sue with him. Did I detect some dismay on her part at being left behind? Mike Rinder's commentary covers this very well. What a terrible choice Dan had to make. Sophie's choice.

Great comments on Mike Rinder's blog, by both Mike and others.:thumbsup:http://www.mikerindersblog.org/dan-koon-responds/

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Each time I come upon a public dirty laundry load of a couple\family..it soon comes out they are $cientologists!

Why do they think the whole world is interested in smelling their dirty laundry ????????

:duh:

That distinctive kind of gratuitous sharing of detailed private information is a common psychological trait of people suffering from PTSD.

Post Tech Stress Disorder. LOL

OTs believe that publicly "getting off" every detail of their dysfunctional dynamics somehow will "blow" their problem and make it "vanish". Hence, sec checks, O/W write-ups, KRs, ritualistic gangbang forced confessions and detailed legalistic sounding written "declares".

The problem with this confessional theory of healing is that 97.5% of all overts in Scientology are committed by the elite Scientology executives that are ordering others to do all the confessing.

Last edited:

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Well I never met the guy and the fact that he tolerated the behavior of that odious little runt merely because he was not targeted tells me that his powers of observation are not exactly top notch. Well Koon has been sucking up Kool Aid for so long maybe it is just reflex now?

Have to remember that to get to Int you have to believe every fairy tale, believe every ounce of bullshit and never disagree. Not the resume of some hard hitting investigative person...

LOL

So, that's what the legendary QUALS were, in order to go "uplines to Int"?

It's kind of like being given an OIA test (Oxford Incapacity Analysis) and ensuring you scored low, bottoming out on the "Credulity" and "Gullibility" traits.

Last edited:

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)

LOL

So, that's what the legendary QUALS were, in order to go "uplines to Int"?

It's kind of like being given an OIA test (Oxford Incapacity Analysis) and ensuring you scored low, bottoming out on the "Credulity" and "Gullibility" traits.

Well it's true - in order to get uplines and to stay there you really had to be a pliable prat. I know, sound skind of nasty - but after I got out I was totally surprised by how much "deference" there was for people who had been 'at int" . Like rathbun - in all his writing after the fact, in everything - has there ever been one demonstration of anything approaching independence or courage? Nope. Same for most of the write ups I have seen of people at int. plenty of commentary about how bad DM was/is not much discussion of what gullible prats they were.

Last edited:

Gib

Crusader

Well it's true - in order to get uplines and to stay there you really had to be a pliable prat. I know, sound skind of nasty - but after I got out I was totally surprised by how much "deference" there was for people who had been 'at int" . Like rathbun - in all his writing after the fact, in everything - has there ever been one demonstration of anything approaching independence or courage? Nope. Same for most of the write ups I have seen of people at int. plenty of commentary about how bad DM was/is not much discussion of what gullible prats they were.

I believe it was Marty who said in a TV or one of these interviews made public, that LRH was long overdue in coming back, rolling his eyes you might say, and the Int Management people were putting up with DM's BS because they believed LRH would come back and set things straight. The implication being the Int people were totally still believers in LRH being OT and coming back, and Marty saying by implication that LRH coming back is total BS. Marty stating this would be how gullible prats they were, only in different words.

I'm just being a messenger of IIRC here.

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::clap::clap::clap:

Helluva fine Post, Mick. :yes:

In the "Old Days" I saw some (IMHO) very experienced, highly trained, well intended, thoughtful, mature and quite competent Folks go "Over the Rainbow" to what later was termed as "Int" and, by far, most of those Folks are now long gone from the Cof$...Many of whom have "placed down" or are "placing down" their 'Tiles' for the 'Mosaic'"...And,a few of whom are still "Under the Spell".

I also saw a whole bunch of very inexperienced, barely trained, self affected, calculating, adolescent and viciously competitive Folks that I thought"WTF?!" when they went "Over the Rainbow" and, within a few weeks or a month or so, were "Calling the Shots".:melodramatic:

Face:)

Last edited:
Re: John Duignan, author of The Complex, has posted a review of Ruthless

John Duignan, author of The Complex, has posted a review of Ruthless. The review is long, thorough, insightful and in many places devastating. I will excerpt below only one small portion of particular interest, albeit one that is only at first glance seemingly off-topic.

Seriously, the review is powerful and says many things some others were afraid to say in print.

This is some of the best writing I've ever seen on the topic of Scientology. The discussion of Niccolò Machiavelli, David Miscavige and Scientology is brilliant.

Steemit: Ruthless a Review and Critique

https://steemit.com/ruthless/@johnanchovie/ruthless-a-review-and-critique

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

To study a social culture in its uncontaminated form is the ne plus ultra of the anthropologist. This maxim has bled over into the Sociology field where academics tend to discount the testament of the ex-Scientologist, believing that they cannot give an unbiased account of the culture. This is, in my view, akin to trying to understand psychiatric methodology and practitioners by interviewing the unhinged psychotic.

There was a time in the mid-nineties when the Scientology propaganda office sanctioned the ostensibly ‘free and open access’ study into the Scientology culture by a number of sociology academics. I recall seeing these willing dupes being led by the nose through a finely orchestrated theatrical presentation, not unlike that put on for visiting tourist parties to North Korea. The trouble was, that these academics, so thrilled that they finally had access to the ‘real Scientology’, naïve fools, bought the ploy, hook line and sinker. They left and produced a series of academic articles that might have been written by the Scientology propaganda office. In a sense, that is exactly what did happen.

While Scientology is broadly reviled in the public sphere, it is still given leeway by academics who remain deeply imbued with their relativist orthodoxy. This academic laxity bleeds over into governance sector. The American tax authorities are happy to call it a ‘church’ and wipe their hands of the numerous accounts of gross violations of human rights and accusations of criminal activity. It is treated rather like a distant rogue state, a banana republic that is allowed to stamp on and crush its populace as long as it does not upset the domestic equilibrium.

I really liked John's review of the book, and I wondered about reading his book The Complex. The wife had bought it a while back, so I decided to give it a read. While they both go over life in the sea org (something I never experienced first hand) the difference is amazingly obvious, While Ron's book is a bit whiny, John's is more detailed, showing life in the SO and his assumption of their values - such as seeing a pregnant SO member and his wife booted down to a lower org, forced to live on staff pay which was below the poverty line, and thinking their lives in squalor as being down stat. I am sure it wasn't easy to bear one's soul, but in doing so he exposes the sociopathic side of life in the SO.

If you haven't read the book, you should.

Mimsey

https://www.amazon.com/Complex-Insi...F8&qid=1466266275&sr=8-2&keywords=the+complex

51CAk8TyJTL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Margaret

Patron
Re: John Duignan, author of The Complex, has posted a review of Ruthless

I really liked John's review of the book, and I wondered about reading his book The Complex. The wife had bought it a while back, so I decided to give it a read. While they both go over life in the sea org (something I never experienced first hand) the difference is amazingly obvious, While Ron's book is a bit whiny, John's is more detailed, showing life in the SO and his assumption of their values - such as seeing a pregnant SO member and his wife booted down to a lower org, forced to live on staff pay which was below the poverty line, and thinking their lives in squalor as being down stat. I am sure it wasn't easy to bear one's soul, but in doing so he exposes the sociopathic side of life in the SO.

If you haven't read the book, you should.

Mimsey

https://www.amazon.com/Complex-Insi...F8&qid=1466266275&sr=8-2&keywords=the+complex

51CAk8TyJTL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Thanks for sharing. I will look at this book.
I'm currently reading The unbreakable Miss Lovely and it's a great book so far, but not for the faint hearted and very well written. I'm about a 3rd of the way through.

CommunicatorIC

Life after Scientology is contentious for church leader's father

A long and thorough Los Angeles Times article about the life of Ron Miscavige, Sr. after the publication of Ruthless. I will excerpt only two brief portions.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-ron-miscavige-20160906-snap-story.html

“That is a father who is a despicable human being, simply trying to make a buck off of the good name, fame and kindness of his son,” attorney Monique Yingling wrote.

Yingling also forwarded a signed declaration from Powell, recanting his statements to police about the phone call from David Miscavige.

“Certain statements I allegedly made to the West Allis Police Department have been misinterpreted,” it read in part.

Police in that Milwaukee suburb stand by their account: “There is no confusion in the statements that were made by Dwayne and Daniel Powell,” Chief Patrick Mitchell said in an email.

Now, in the latest twist in the saga of church-sanctioned surveillance, Powell says he was paid thousands of dollars to sign the declaration after church attorneys summoned him to a meeting last year in Atlanta.

“The whole meeting took less than 10 minutes,” he said. “They said, ‘This is what this is, and this is what it’s for. Goodbye and good luck.’ ”

He furnished no documentation, and Scientology attorneys deny that any such payment was made.

But other records obtained by The Times show that Scientology lawyers, who had publicly sought to distance the church from Powell, kept him on the payroll two years after his arrest — and long after he stopped conducting investigations.

In the spring of 2015, just weeks before Powell signed the declaration, a Scientology attorney paid him at least $16,000 for “security” services in five payments, according to check stubs obtained by The Times. The checks were written on the trust account of Kendrick Moxon, a prominent Scientology attorney in Los Angeles, the records show.

Reached by phone, Powell confirmed the payments but would not comment on them.

Last edited:

CommunicatorIC

L.A. TIMES: Scientology private eye says he was paid to refute Ron Miscavige

A long and thorough Los Angeles Times article about the life of Ron Miscavige, Sr. after the publication of Ruthless. I will excerpt only two brief portions.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-ron-miscavige-20160906-snap-story.html

“That is a father who is a despicable human being, simply trying to make a buck off of the good name, fame and kindness of his son,” attorney Monique Yingling wrote.

Yingling also forwarded a signed declaration from Powell, recanting his statements to police about the phone call from David Miscavige.

“Certain statements I allegedly made to the West Allis Police Department have been misinterpreted,” it read in part.

Police in that Milwaukee suburb stand by their account: “There is no confusion in the statements that were made by Dwayne and Daniel Powell,” Chief Patrick Mitchell said in an email.

Now, in the latest twist in the saga of church-sanctioned surveillance, Powell says he was paid thousands of dollars to sign the declaration after church attorneys summoned him to a meeting last year in Atlanta.

“The whole meeting took less than 10 minutes,” he said. “They said, ‘This is what this is, and this is what it’s for. Goodbye and good luck.’ ”

He furnished no documentation, and Scientology attorneys deny that any such payment was made.

But other records obtained by The Times show that Scientology lawyers, who had publicly sought to distance the church from Powell, kept him on the payroll two years after his arrest — and long after he stopped conducting investigations.

In the spring of 2015, just weeks before Powell signed the declaration, a Scientology attorney paid him at least $16,000 for “security” services in five payments, according to check stubs obtained by The Times. The checks were written on the trust account of Kendrick Moxon, a prominent Scientology attorney in Los Angeles, the records show.

Reached by phone, Powell confirmed the payments but would not comment on them.

Tony Ortega now has the story as his new second item today.

http://tonyortega.org/2016/09/15/sc...rt-rejects-appeal-in-forced-abortion-lawsuit/

[SNIP]

The most striking thing in Christensen’s story last year was that the Powells told West Allis, Wisconsin police that they had been told by David Miscavige personally simply to stand by and let Ron die when they observed him having what they thought was a heart attack. “If he dies, he dies,” David reportedly told them.

Dwayne Powell later submitted a declaration that he had been misquoted by the police in their report of his interview, and that he did not talk to David Miscavige. The police in Wisconsin stood by their report.

Now, today, buried fairly deep in a lengthy story about Ron’s recent memoir, “Ruthless,” Christensen drops a small bomb.

Christensen obtained pay records showing that Powell was given $16,000 in five payments after his 2013 arrest and just before his submission of the declaration, even though he was no longer following Ron Miscavige.

The pay disbursements had come from notorious Scientology lawyer Kendrick Moxon.

[SNIP]

ForLease

Maximus Squirrel

I saw the article this morning.

SO HAPPY to see the Times paying attention to the Big Blue Cult in its backyard!