What's new

Scientology link at Montessori school alarms parents

KnightVision

Gold Meritorious Patron
link: http://www.religionnewsblog.com/22424/scientology-cult-recruiting

Some parents are upset with a study method introduced by a Montessori school in northwest Toronto, which they say has its roots in the Church of Scientology.

Parents said the owner of the Bambolino Montessori Academy, a private school, told parents last week that it was introducing a new learning method called applied scholastics.

Janice Blundon said parents like her weren’t given a choice when the dean at her son’s school told them they’d be implementing the study technique.

Consumer Alert: Scientology vs. Education
“Applied Scholastics claims that it is wholly independent of the Church of Scientology. Its chief executive officer Bennetta Slaughter says that “they are separate organizations … We are strictly an educational organization. We are not part of the church.” (St Louis Post-Despatch, July 27, 2003). Taken literally, this is true. Applied Scholastics is indeed a legally separate corporation. However, it has so many ties to the Church of Scientology and its corporate alter ego, the Church of Spiritual Technology, that it cannot be regarded as being anything other than a Scientology subsidiary.”
- Scientology vs. Education
“I let him know I wasn’t familiar with that, and [asked] who was teaching that, and what was it based on. He said it was based on L. Ron Hubbard,” she said.

When Blundon found out Hubbard was the founder of the Church of Scientology, she pulled her son out of the school.

“If the sign says Montessori, parents [are] expecting Montessori, then they should be provided a Montessori education. And if they’re not, that’s fine, but they should be made aware of the situation,” said Blundon.
[...]

Applied scholastics is also known as study technology.
[...]

Critics say it suppresses freedom of thought, a charge the head of Applied Scholastics Canada calls ridiculous.

- Source: Scientology link at Montessori school alarms parents, CBC News (Canada), Sep. 18, 2008 — Summarized by Religion News Blog

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
Thanks for that news item. (I don't think that other Montessori schools will follow suit on that one.)

“If the sign says Montessori, parents [are] expecting Montessori, then they should be provided a Montessori education. And if they’re not, that’s fine, but they should be made aware of the situation,” said Blundon.

The Montessori educational methods are definitely not the same as Scientology "Study Tech". I know because I had my daughter in a Montessori school up until 7th grade.

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
The church of scientology is NOT a benevolent organization.
It is a composite of some workable technology largely contributed by people other than LRH, combined with the megalomaniac ideas of Hubbard, and formed into a trap.

I am so glad to see Applied Scholatics again, exposed, for it's connection to a man who attempted to put down almost every subject developed by man, in order to raise himself on an undeserved pedestal.

The original scientology organizations failed to deliver a workable bridge, and had to suppress THAT fact. They attack the people who leave and tell of the failures, and the suppression within.

Yet they still fail.

So what did they do? They took the workable nuggets, which where developed by others, push the FALSE PR of LRH's, that he developed them(false) and was therefore magnanimous. The church set up front groups, to apprear to not be connected with the failed church, and try and gain converts through such actions.

The Scientology front groups are not set up for benevoleceny but soley to entice the different publics into accepting a good work as coming from a man,LRH, and leading to the incorrect assumption by association, of the goodness(false) of the CoS. This activity must be thoroughly exposed along with the PR /safepointing that is done in this area to our public servants and other organizations such as in this case the Montessori schools.

IF you can't deliver what you promise, bait and switch, and lure them in any way you can, till you have them in the Cult of Suppression. That should be the true motto of ABLE, who work lie on lie, hand in hand with OSA

KnightVision

Gold Meritorious Patron
It is a composite of some workable technology largely contributed by people other than LRH, combined with the megalomaniac ideas of Hubbard, and formed into a trap.

I am so glad to see Applied Scholatics again, exposed, for it's connection to a man who attempted to put down almost every subject developed by man, in order to raise himself on an undeserved pedestal.

The original scientology organizations failed to deliver a workable bridge, and had to suppress THAT fact. They attack the people who leave and tell of the failures, and the suppression within.

Yet they still fail.

So what did they do? They took the workable nuggets, which where developed by others, push the FALSE PR of LRH's, that he developed them(false) and was therefore magnanimous. The church set up front groups, to apprear to not be connected with the failed church, and try and gain converts through such actions.

The Scientology front groups are not set up for benevoleceny but soley to entice the different publics into accepting a good work as coming from a man,LRH, and leading to the incorrect assumption by association, of the goodness(false) of the CoS. This activity must be thoroughly exposed along with the PR /safepointing that is done in this area to our public servants and other organizations such as in this case the Montessori schools.

IF you can't deliver what you promise, bait and switch, and lure them in any way you can, till you have them in the Cult of Suppression. That should be the true motto of ABLE, who work lie on lie, hand in hand with OSA

Amen!

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
Any of the Scientology front groups should be barred from any school system.

Sometime ago they got their "toe in the door" in the San Francisco school system (via Narconon) and then were thrown out thanks to some vigilant parents.

MarkWI

Patron Meritorious

Yet they still fail.

:yes: That's my opinion too.

scientrollogy

Patron with Honors
On I.R.C.

we were discussing the Montssori situation, and it would seem that the schools are like franchised, we were wondering if Montessori (HQ) should be notified?

where i come from, we have a montessori school, and it's nothing to do with LyingRonHubbard

Some parents are upset with a study method introduced by a Montessori school in northwest Toronto, which they say has its roots in the Church of Scientology.

Personally I see this story as reported as an overreaction. The use of study tech in a non-scientology course is itself fine. I have known several elementary school special education teachers who used similar techniques in teaching children how to learn. Demonstration & clay modeling can be especially helpful to "stuck students".

What would be inappropriate is the use of scientology materials in a non-scientology school without prior parental notification & approval.

Mark A. Baker

duddins

Patron Meritorious

Yet they still fail.

Go for it! :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

I love hearing the "in-your-face" truth here on the ESMB!:punch:

Bless you for saying this.

Your opinion is shared by many!

duddins

Patron Meritorious
we were discussing the Montssori situation, and it would seem that the schools are like franchised, we were wondering if Montessori (HQ) should be notified?

where i come from, we have a montessori school, and it's nothing to do with LyingRonHubbard

Look deeper. I have known of this connection for decades.

KnightVision

Gold Meritorious Patron
Personally I see this story as reported as an overreaction. The use of study tech in a non-scientology course is itself fine. I have known several elementary school special education teachers who used similar techniques in teaching children how to learn. Demonstration & clay modeling can be especially helpful to "stuck students".

What would be inappropriate is the use of scientology materials in a non-scientology school without prior parental notification & approval.

Mark A. Baker

While in general concept I concur that study "helpers" are quite useful, the study "tech" goes beyond this. It confines one's understanding to the reasons it dictates. It does not allow for other valid reasons why one may have trouble assimilating info OR experience physiological phenomena. Of upmost importance is that "Study Tech" attempts to squash the CRITICAL THINKING ELEMENT. Critical thinking about a subject matter allows one to learn without blindly believing a subject, or any part of it presented. As with EVERY aspect of LRH tech, assuming that because it has some useful or truthful aspects to it- that therefore it is innocent and workable... IS THE TRAP THAT WAS CONSTRUED. Upon closer examination, there is ALWAYS an evident entrapping and reducing of native human ability in EVERYTHING LRH.

Check out this very thorough examination of the "Study Tech", it may shed some light.

The Hidden Message in L. Ron Hubbard's "Study Tech"
http://www.studytech.org/study_tech1.php

Last edited:
Study tech works perfectly. It is the best, most workable system ever devised.

IF your goal is to educate and control your very own slave labor force.

For study tech to work, the studier (is that a word?) must believe before hand that the info he is studying is correct and true. Without that faith there seems to be no way to decide for your self if the info is valid or not.

You Can Not Disagree with the tech, therefore, you will study, demo, clay demo, word clear, etc, repeat, do again, Until You Do Agree.

How does this system work for studying anything else you may just want to know about? Curious about WWII? OK study Germany in the 30s, and the rise of Hitler, what ever catches you interest. Must you then AGREE with Nazi goals to know that you have cleared all your MUs?

Just my 2 cents,

AWH

While in general concept I concur that study "helpers" are quite useful, the study "tech" goes beyond this. It confines one's understanding to the reasons it dictates. It does not allow for other valid reasons why one may have trouble assimilating info OR experience physiological phenomena. Of upmost importance is that "Study Tech" attempts to squash the CRITICAL THINKING ELEMENT. Critical thinking about a subject matter allows one to learn without blindly believing a subject, or any part of it presented. As with EVERY aspect of LRH tech, assuming that because it has some useful or truthful aspects to it- that therefore it is innocent and workable... IS THE TRAP THAT WAS CONSTRUED. Upon closer examination, there is ALWAYS an evident entrapping and reducing of native human ability in EVERYTHING LRH.

Check out this very thorough examination of the "Study Tech", it may shed some light.

The Hidden Message in L. Ron Hubbard's "Study Tech"
http://www.studytech.org/study_tech1.php

THAT is a very valid criticism. And by all means proper study should NOT be restricted to the tools available in study tech only. But that, I would hold, is generally true of ANY methodology. They all have strengths as well as weaknesses and should be used and balanced with other methods accordingly.

Mark A. Baker

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
The 'tools' of the 'Study Tech' are conformed to the 'methodology' and the methodology has a single purpose. Which is 'conforming' the student to Scientology.

Zinj