What's new

scientology on last Week with John Oliver

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
Go to 7:00 and start watching... And Strat, I am not the only lousy speller on the planet Mimsey

OK, that was Fox News. The spelling mistakes and schoolboy grammatical errors the BBC News makes on its scrolling marquee at the bottom of the screen infuriates me far beyond anything anybody does here on esmb. I pay a shitload of money to these assholes every year to watch their crummy programmes and I would have thought the least they could do was employ somebody who can speak English to write their copy.

Planet Mimsey? I didn't know there was such a world. :biggrin:

Last edited:
OK, that was Fox News. The spelling mistakes and schoolboy grammatical errors the BBC News makes on its scrolling marquee at the bottom of the screen infuriates me far beyond anything anybody does here on esmb. I pay a shitload of money to these assholes every year to watch their crummy programmes and I would have thought the least they could do was employ somebody who can speak English to write their copy.

Planet Mimsey? I didn't know there was such a world. :biggrin:
A) Planet Mimsey is orbiting the same sun as Planet Claire...

B) There's two ways those things work - you have a person like a court reporter taking it down, and her /his transcription software translates the short hand into English - like in the OJ Simpson Trial - Judge Ito was watching the real time feed from the court reporter's transcription machine on his lap top, and off an on would slow the attorneys down so she could keep up. The other is computer speech recognition.

Usually, after a trial or deposition, the court reporter will go through the transcript later in the day and correct un-translates. Then it is submitted to the witness to make any corrections before it is official.

But the TV feeds omit that last step of cleaning it up so you get the occasional gobbledygook. In the picture below you can see the shorthand on the right and it's translation on the left. The guy below is taking 200 words per minute.

Mimsey

steno.jpg

strativarius

But the TV feeds omit that last step of cleaning it up so you get the occasional gobbledygook. In the picture below you can see the shorthand on the right and it's translation on the left. The guy below is taking 200 words per minute.
Firstly, it isn't 'occasional gobbledegook', it happens on a daily basis and there's generally more than one error. Secondly, these scrolling marquees are on a loop. Thousands of BBC employees see it and yet these errors persist, sometimes for hours. It pisses me right off!

You might say 'Well, you need to chill out, the world's not going to come to an end', but I pay a lot of money (it's compulsory) to watch their channel and it's like being treated with contempt when they can't get a simple thing like that right.

Last edited:
Well, I guess it depends on the feed - yes the CC are pretty bad, but in a media that is so fleeting, where is the need to correct it? They have no pride in the quality of that aspect of their product, and what bothers me is the lag - the script of a speaker is much later than the spoken word. Question - why don't you turn the CC off?

Mimsey

fish-in-newspaper2.jpg

strativarius

Well, I guess it depends on the feed - yes the CC are pretty bad, but in a media that is so fleeting, where is the need to correct it? They have no pride in the quality of that aspect of their product, and what bothers me is the lag - the script of a speaker is much later than the spoken word. Question - why don't you turn the CC off?

Mimsey

fish-in-newspaper2.jpg
I'm sorry Mimsey, but is this post directed at me?

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
A) Planet Mimsey is orbiting the same sun as Planet Claire...

B) There's two ways those things work - you have a person like a court reporter taking it down, and her /his transcription software translates the short hand into English - like in the OJ Simpson Trial - Judge Ito was watching the real time feed from the court reporter's transcription machine on his lap top, and off an on would slow the attorneys down so she could keep up. The other is computer speech recognition.

Usually, after a trial or deposition, the court reporter will go through the transcript later in the day and correct un-translates. Then it is submitted to the witness to make any corrections before it is official.

Mimsey

steno.jpg

O Wow!!!

I didn't know Fluffy had a planet!!

She and John also have a modest funky home deep in West Seattle a stone's throw from Jimi Hendrix' childhood home

(N.B. if you're measuring things by a stone's throw don't use Keith Richards' because it's thunderchuck