What's new

Scientology plans a comeback in Australia

Feral

Rogue male

http://mumbrella.com.au/scientologists-plan-aussie-ad-blitz-16988

Scientologists plan Aussie ad blitz

The Church of Scientology is planning its first above-the-line advertising push in Australia in a bid to turn around its public image.

TV and cinema are among the media being contemplated.

A spokesman for the controversial organisation confirmed to Mumbrella that the campaign is being planned but said it was dependent on the campaign receiving funding from the US. She referred inquiries to Sydney agency Frontier Media, which declined to comment.

The Church of Scientology’s most high-profile celebrity followers including Tom Cruise and John Travolta.

In November, independent Senator Nick Xenophon accused the Church of being a “criminal organisation”. Prime Minster Kevin Rudd also told the Herald Sun “I share some of those concerns”, but has reserved further judgement pending the review of material provided by Senator Xenophon.

At the time the Church released a statement in response to Xenophon. “Senator Xenophon’s attempt to marginalise Scientologists by saying that they should not be believed, is fascistic and violates freedom of speech and the right to religious beliefs,” the statement said.

Gerry Armstrong, another vocal critic of the Church and a former member, is travelling to Australia to support Senator Xenophon’s campaign for an inquiry into the Church.

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron
They think so, do they? :roflmao:

Seriously, though, I don't think there is anything they could do to salvage their image. An advertising campaign would just add fuel to the fire.

Outethicsofficer

Silver Meritorious Patron
Hmm

They'd better be good at promotion...getting the church's image off the bottom is analogous to raising the Titanic...even if they do get it up once it hits the air it will just rust and have to be disposed of as just so much unwanted crap!
James

Spirited

Patron with Honors
"A spokesman for the controversial organisation confirmed to Mumbrella that the campaign is being planned but said it was dependent on the campaign receiving funding from the US. She referred inquiries to Sydney agency Frontier Media, which declined to comment."

Interesting that the Ad campaign is "dependent on the campaign receiving funding from the U.S" considering that the latest IAS events in anzo, sydney and melbourne, have apparently been fundraisers for exactly that, the ad campaign taking place in oz. Thats what the the public was told at the event.
and now the "funding" has to come from the U.S?? :whistling::eyeroll:

RogerB

Crusader
Yeh, I wonder how the innies feel about seeing mega $$$ of their extorted exorbitant donations going to such activities . . . . like, is there no end to the rip off and waste of monies?

I remember when only 10% went up lines from the local area "donations," with the rest being used locally for staff pay and org operations . . . now they are into ripping off $$$'s for everything in sight!

The operation has become totally fraudulent.

RogerB

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
This is great news.

All the money they spend to raise awareness of themselves will funnel right into the critic's claims against them. :happydance:

The Aussie Exes could not ask for a better turn of events.

hartley

Patron with Honors
and now the "funding" has to come from the U.S??
All money raised for the IAS automatically goes uplines, but they will send it back downlines for an ad campaign. Really. Honest. Would a Scientologist (TM) lie about this? Surely you're not suggesting it might be spend on downstat wogs in Haiti?

AnonKat

Crusader
This is a strong case of: DO NOT WANT !

do_not_want_cat.jpg

Blue Spirit

Silver Meritorious Patron
TRUE

Yeh, I wonder how the innies feel about seeing mega $$$ of their extorted exorbitant donations going to such activities . . . . like, is there no end to the rip off and waste of monies?

I remember when only 10% went up lines from the local area "donations," with the rest being used locally for staff pay and org operations . . . now they are into ripping off $$$'s for everything in sight!

The operation has become totally fraudulent.

RogerB

True, but it started a long time back with LRH instituted monthly compounded

price increases and the IAS racket from the start, invalidating those of us

who had Lifetime HASI memberships.

AnonKat

Crusader
True, but it started a long time back with LRH instituted monthly compounded

price increases and the IAS racket from the start, invalidating those of us

who had Lifetime HASI memberships.

can you pinpoint the year and date the increases began ?

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
L. Ron Hubbard
EXECUTIVE DIRECTIVE
8 May 1979
LRH ED 284-5 INT

To: Commanding Officers
Executive Directors
Dissemination Secretaries
Distribution Secretaries
Publications organizations
Missions
Book stores
Book sellers
FSMs
Edition for general public distribution

Subject: INCREASE IN BOOK PRICES
Reference LRH ED 284, The Solution to Inflation
Revises LRH ED 284-1 and supplements LRH ED 284-4.

From 1 June 1979 on the prices of all Dianetics and Scientology books, course packs and other materials, including E-meters, will rise by 10%, effective for the month on midnight of the last day of the preceding month.

Printing and paper costs have risen rapidly and continue to rise. Books and material run the danger of being delivered only with a loss, and this could interrupt dissemination lines.

Individual book sellers and individual book stores are recommended to buy in advance for as long as existing stocks are available and until the higher prices make new stocks possible. The date the order was placed to Pubs or to the book stores, accompanied by a number, determines under which price increase the sale takes place, not the delivery date. Every effort will be made and will continue to be made to keep all titles and materials in supply.

Let it be mentioned that "Dianetics, the Modern Science of Mental Health" is coming upon its 29th year as a continual best seller and that collections of LRH books and stories are now bringing in up to 70,000 US dollars, according to statements by authoritative collectors. The demand continues to stay very high, and everything possible must be undertaken to keep pace with it.

L. RON HUBBARD FOUNDER
at the request of the Board of Directors of the SCIENTOLOGY CHURCHES

Zinj

AnonKat

Crusader
L. Ron Hubbard
EXECUTIVE DIRECTIVE
8 May 1979
LRH ED 284-5 INT

To: Commanding Officers
Executive Directors
Dissemination Secretaries
Distribution Secretaries
Publications organizations
Missions
Book stores
Book sellers
FSMs
Edition for general public distribution

Subject: INCREASE IN BOOK PRICES
Reference LRH ED 284, The Solution to Inflation
Revises LRH ED 284-1 and supplements LRH ED 284-4.

From 1 June 1979 on the prices of all Dianetics and Scientology books, course packs and other materials, including E-meters, will rise by 10%, effective for the month on midnight of the last day of the preceding month.

Printing and paper costs have risen rapidly and continue to rise. Books and material run the danger of being delivered only with a loss, and this could interrupt dissemination lines.

Individual book sellers and individual book stores are recommended to buy in advance for as long as existing stocks are available and until the higher prices make new stocks possible. The date the order was placed to Pubs or to the book stores, accompanied by a number, determines under which price increase the sale takes place, not the delivery date. Every effort will be made and will continue to be made to keep all titles and materials in supply.

Let it be mentioned that "Dianetics, the Modern Science of Mental Health" is coming upon its 29th year as a continual best seller and that collections of LRH books and stories are now bringing in up to 70,000 US dollars, according to statements by authoritative collectors. The demand continues to stay very high, and everything possible must be undertaken to keep pace with it.

L. RON HUBBARD FOUNDER
at the request of the Board of Directors of the SCIENTOLOGY CHURCHES

Zinj

Thank you Zinj. Is it truth that before that prices had been flat for years ? By the way do you have a link to that Executive Directive.

Who was on the Board of Directors in 1979 ?

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
Comeback? What! From an organization that is growing by leaps and bounds. Are they admitting to having given false PR?

Let me see, comeback..implies a current losing situation. :happydance:

Recommendation to all lending institutions, and potential individual lenders.
Ask for an audited income and disbursement statement. And ask if the borrower is connected to any organization that has recent suicides and is under any undue pressure to obtain money under false pretenses.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
can you pinpoint the year and date the increases began ?

LRH ED 284 THE SOLUTION TO INFLATION came out 16 September 1976. That's when the services 10% increases started. Well, a few weeks later at the end of the month (end of October?). Prior to that the prices had been flat for years. In the UK at that time, some prices were:

12 1/2 hours auditing £75
Academy Levels Package £200 (Levels 0-4 plus Student Hat free)
SHSBC £275
OT Package (original OT1, 2, 3, 7EP, 3X, 4, 5, 6, Full 7) £1250 (I think. It was around that).

Paul

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
Scieno-Scenario: Celebrities to the rescue in Australia!

AUSTRALIAN TV INTERVIEWER: So, your church has lost all credibility in Australia. What do you say to the critics who say that Scientology is a total trainwreck?

TOM CRUISE: Well, Scientologists are the authorities on accidents, disaster scenes & trainwrecks. So I think we know what to do.

AUSTRALIAN TV INTERVIEWER: But all you are doing is saying none of it is true. You denied the Xenu story. You denied the beatings by COB, disconnection and Fair Game. Mr. Cruise, with all respect, you are losing all your credibility now too!

TOM CRUISE: I see now that what I have been saying is not "real" to you. Allow me a spiritual moment to gather my thoughts so I can properly respond in a way that has total reality....(lowers head thoughtfully as if in prayer for several minutes).

AUSTRALIAN TV INTERVIEWER: (looking at watch, interrupts) Mr. Cruise we are nearly out of time, can you tell our viewers what you are doing?

TOM CRUISE: I am looking in scripture for an on-Source shore story that handle the viewers' ARC break with an acceptable-truth.

AUSTRALIAN TV INTERVIEWER: What?! What the hell are you rambling on about?

TOM CRUISE: Alright, let's just cut to the truth...Can you handle reality? Well, buddy, here is the reality! I am in theta com with our Founder who is currently in outer space doing advanced research. I can assure you that Ron has the answers to all your questions--but, unfortunately I can't give you verbal data. However, I believe what I have revealed today should be more than enough reality on Scientology for everyone in Australia to make up their own minds!

AUSTRALIAN TV INTERVIEWER: Yes, I think you have made the point quite clear.

Last edited:

Spirited

Patron with Honors
All money raised for the IAS automatically goes uplines, but they will send it back downlines for an ad campaign. Really. Honest. Would a Scientologist (TM) lie about this? Surely you're not suggesting it might be spend on downstat wogs in Haiti?
Yes, EVERYTHING goes up lines. I was being sarcastic toward the "inference" of the U.S funding this!!! :D

TalleyWhacker

Patron with Honors
Scieno-Scenario: Celebrities to the rescue in Australia!

AUSTRALIAN TV INTERVIEWER: So, your church has lost all credibility in Australia. What do you say to the critics who say that Scientology is a total trainwreck?

TOM CRUISE: Well, Scientologists are the authorities on accidents, disaster scenes & trainwrecks. So I think we know what to do.

AUSTRALIAN TV INTERVIEWER: But all you are doing is saying none of it is true. You denied the Xenu story. You denied the beatings by COB, disconnection and Fair Game. Mr. Cruise, with all respect, you are losing all your credibility now too!

TOM CRUISE: I see now that what I have been saying is not "real" to you. Allow me a spiritual moment to gather my thoughts so I can properly respond in a way that has total reality....(lowers head thoughtfully as if in prayer for several minutes).

AUSTRALIAN TV INTERVIEWER: (looking at watch, interrupts) Mr. Cruise we are nearly out of time, can you tell our viewers what you are doing?

TOM CRUISE: I am looking in scripture for an on-Source shore story that handle the viewers' ARC break with an acceptable-truth.

AUSTRALIAN TV INTERVIEWER: What?! What the hell are you rambling on about?

TOM CRUISE: Alright, let's just cut to the truth...Can you handle reality? Well, buddy, here is the reality! I am in theta com with our Founder who is currently in outer space doing advanced research. I can assure you that Ron has the answers to all your questions--but, unfortunately I can't give you verbal data. However, I believe what I have revealed today should be more than enough reality on Scientology for everyone in Australia to make up their own minds!

AUSTRALIAN TV INTERVIEWER: Yes, I think you have made the point quite clear.

The wonderful thing about you, HH, is that it just never stops!
:happydance:

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
HH, I can’t take it any more!

You are too much.

This particularly made me laugh out loud :

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

The funniest thing though, is that I can see the Cruiser saying something equally daft as all the things you had him say there, and he would be convinced that he had done a good job. :duh:

Ax